Start by marking “The Joy of Funerals: A Novel in Stories” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Joy of Funerals: A...

Alix Strauss

The Joy of Funerals: A Novel in Stories

A young widow who lusts ... a daughter who aches ... a shopaholic who hungers ... a daredevil who desires ... a single woman who longs ... a funeral junkie who needs. Begun as a "Lives" column in The New York Times Magazine, The Joy of Funerals is a riveting collection that explores the disturbing lives of nine young women, each willing to take drastic measures to fill the ...more
259 pages
Published 2004 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Joy of Funerals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy of Funerals

stephanie
how disappointing.

it's really nine stories connected by a cemetery and a series of women who deal with loneliness after death in different ways.

frankly, i was slightly disturbed by the first story and don't think i got over it, and i'm not one that is easily disturbed. after that i was just kind of bored and paging through.

it had such potential . . .
Kim
Oct 11, 2008 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't like this book very much. I almost quit during the first chapter because it was kind of crude, then I realized that it was seperate stories and none of the others were as crude as the first. It was very odd and I didn't think that it did a good job of making the point it was trying to. I don't really recommend it.
Deborah
Dec 20, 2008 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction
A collection of stories having to do with death. I didn't care much for the first story, but I am glad that I continued to read the other stories. This book isn't my typical read, but I did enjoy the book. The stories are a bit strange, a bit sad, a bit morbid, a bit odd, a bit of black comedy...
Debbie
Sep 29, 2009 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can not remember how this book was recommended to me, but it is a crazy book and I liked it. The first few chapters are storys about people who have lost someone in there lives. The last chapters are about a lonely girl who attends funerals to feel a part of something. I have a unique outlook on funerals and so I enjoyed how the different perspectives intertwined.
Nicolle
i wanted it to be good, but i didn't identify with any of the characters. the joy of funerals novella at the end just made me feel weird and uncomfortable. the characters are too lonely and weird for me... the only one i really liked is gail with her need for speed.
Kayla
Apr 01, 2015 Kayla rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I. Can't. Do it. Total junk. After 3 of the stories I have to call it quits.
Tina
Dec 26, 2007 Tina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I really like the author - though only known through brief encounters - and really want everyone to read this book. I have read nothing but amazing reviews and cannot wait to start on it.
Elizabeth
Not as good as I had hoped it would be this collection of related stories, interesting but there is so more more to do wit this subject.
Kelley
Jan 31, 2010 Kelley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book especially how all of the tales were woven together by the author something that you don't think is really going to happen when you start the book.
Brenda
Mar 27, 2008 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark and quirky and beautifully written. I could not put it down.
Patricia L.
Couldn't finish it. It just didn't intrigue me enough. And it is due back at the library.
VegasGal
Jul 08, 2008 VegasGal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2008
Strange yet compelling and sometimes disturbing story.
Jessica
I thought this was such a cool concept. The book is a collection of short stories with a common theme (death) and the last story tied them all together in an interesting way.
Kerry Miller
Aug 12, 2014 Kerry Miller rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
The kind of painfully one-dimensional character sketches you'd expect to see from a college sophomore trying to hook up with her professor
Bradley
Feb 03, 2011 Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I enjoyed this book of short stories concerning women in their 30's living in NYC and trying to deal with life.
Gabriela  Corrales
Gabriela Corrales rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2011
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2013
Leigh
Leigh rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2012
Leslie Evans
Leslie Evans rated it it was ok
Oct 13, 2012
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was ok
May 12, 2008
Tori
Tori rated it it was ok
Oct 27, 2010
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Kathe
Kathe rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2009
Jennifer Kennedy
Jennifer Kennedy rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2013
Sheela
Sheela rated it it was ok
Nov 21, 2013
Jennifer Mencarini
Jennifer Mencarini rated it liked it
May 09, 2007
Bridget
Bridget rated it liked it
May 09, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2016
Sansrialto
Sansrialto rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Maya
Maya rated it did not like it
Sep 19, 2007
  • Of Cats and Men: Stories
  • Back in the Days
  • Flowering and Other Stories
  • Symphony City
Alix received a degree in Educational Theater from NYU, and has taught Fiction, Creative Writing, Personal Essays, and Writing for Magazines for the past fifteen years. She is the recipient of several awards and fellowships from programs such as the Wesleyan Writers Conference, the Skidmore College Writerʼs Institute, the Sarah Lawrence Summer Program, and the Squaw Valleyʼs Screenwritersʼ Summer ...more
More about Alix Strauss...