Start by marking “How to Meditate: A Practical Guide” as Want to Read:
How to Meditate: A Practical Guide

How to Meditate: A Practical Guide

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  14 reviews
What is meditation? Why practice it? Which techniques are best? How do I do it? The answers to these often-asked questions are contained in this down-to-earth book, making it of enormous value for anyone who wishes to begin and maintain a meditation practice. Written by a Western Buddhist nun with solid experience in both the practice and teaching of meditation, How to Med ...more
Published October 3rd 2005 by Wisdom Publications (first published March 25th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about How to Meditate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Meditate

The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thích Nhất HạnhZen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiTaking the Path of Zen by Robert AitkenBeing Peace by Thích Nhất HạnhZen in the Garden by Tracy J.  Thomas
Zen Books for Beginners
53rd out of 54 books — 59 voters
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleSiddhartha by Hermann HesseBeyond Religion by Dalai Lama XIVA Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le GuinThe Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Nerdfighter Spiritual List
93rd out of 97 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Meghan Oona
this is the 1st ever meditation book that i really engaged with. it's basic yet transformative in a very clear way. i first read it at age 16, and continue to use it, many years later :)
Lesandre
Don't be put off by the generic title...
This book is written with wonderful methods, visualization techniques, and explanation of fundamental philosophies. The Venerable Robina Courtin edited this, and the teachings of Lama Zopa Rinpoche and Lama Yeshe are apparent.
Gemma
My favorite guide to the practice. Clear, written to make sense to Westerners.
Sister Dharma Gettin
"How to Meditate: A Practical Guide" is a must read for anyone who is interested in becoming the master of their own mind! It's down to earth language complements the book's easy to follow instructions and clear, understandable explanations. A comprehensive manual for the beginner meditator, and likewise, extremely valuable for the experienced, as well. Upon reading, this book will quickly become and essential title in your spiritual library.
Clara
This book does a good job of outlining the step-by-step process of basic meditation. Because its focus is Tibetan Buddhist meditation, it walks the reader through not only meditations on specific topics such as impermanence and equanimity (these are usually "antidotes" to specific issues such as attachment or anger), but deity-based meditations, such as meditations to Tara, "the Buddha of Enlightened Activity" and Avalokiteshvara, "the Buddha of Compassion." It also contains Tibetan Buddhist pra ...more
Deodand
I found this book on a search for exactly what it is - a book on what to do during meditation. It was a really tough, stressful time in my life, and I owe a lot to this book. I'm not a Buddhist, and most of the back of the book doesn't hold much meaning for me, but the front is so utterly helpful that I recommend this book to everyone, not just those looking to meditate. I continue to learn the lessons taught here about humility, patience and perspective.
Julie
I might end up giving this a higher rating later - I only had it out from the library for 3 weeks, so didn't get to try a lot of the guided meditations, just read through some of them. Great as a resource for beginners like myself - very easy, encouraging, practical directions for seated meditation. She comes from the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, but doesn't dwell too specifically on their exact techniques.
Carrieanne grucz
Aside from the actual how to meditate part, I thought this book had some really smart philosophies or things to think about without sounding too new agey, or sound of one hand clappingy.
I did however skip the last chapters which included drawings of different buddahs, and different chants, or offerings to make to them.
Jinpa
This book is very good, and I recommend it to most people I meet who are interested in meditation. My only concern is that it covers a wide range of meditations rather quickly. Volumes could be written on each method the author mentions, however she does a great job in presenting the material. I quite enjoyed this book!
Sabio
Meditation is not Meditation is not Meditation.

There are lots of techniques and they have different effects on different minds.
This book discusses many methods.
It is said that due to the variety of techniques and variety of minds, it is best to have a teacher help you choose suitable techniques.
Lindsay
I often come back to this book and read over different techniques/sections before I start a session. It is choc-loaded with detail and always helps me overcome my mind. Well done Kathleen, we can all learn something from your powerful book *blinking smiley face*
Nasheer
What to write? What not written is lot more to comprehend. The path ahead is tough

Al
A clear primer on meditation based mostly in the Tibetan tradition.
Monet
I will never let go of my copy of this book.
Shivam Jani
Shivam Jani marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Randon Lund
Randon Lund marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Sean Ryan
Sean Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Hoyadaisy
Hoyadaisy marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Elijah
Elijah is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2015
Andres Champion
Andres Champion marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Maureen Valdez
Maureen Valdez is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Natacha Lefaure
Natacha Lefaure marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • Wake Up To Your Life: Discovering the Buddhist Path of Attention
  • The Essence of Buddhism: An Introduction to Its Philosophy and Practice
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • How to Meditate with Pema Chodron: A Practical Guide to Making Friends with Your Mind
  • Transformation and Healing: Sutra on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness
  • Becoming Enlightened
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook
  • The Life of the Buddha: According to the Pali Canon
  • Focused and Fearless: A Meditator's Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm, and Clarity
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • Intimacy with God: An Introduction to Centering Prayer
  • The Attention Revolution: Unlocking the Power of the Focused Mind
  • Each Moment Is the Universe: Zen and the Way of Being Time
  • Rebel Buddha: On the Road to Freedom
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
  • Not For Happiness: A Guide to the So-Called Preliminary Practices
Awakening the Kind Heart: How to Meditate on Compassion Americanization of History: Conflation of Time and Culture in Film and Television Aprendiendo de los Lamas. Una guía práctica para la meditación How to Meditate Aprendiendo de los lamas