Start by marking “The Wagered Widow” as Want to Read:
The Wagered Widow

The Wagered Widow

HE INSISTED ON TREATING HER LIKE A TROLLOP'

...and Rebecca Parrish, a most respectable young widow, found him utterly odious. What right had this supercilious rake, Trevelyan de Villars, to incessantly force his attentions on her? Rebecca far preferred Trevelyan's charming friend, the noble Sir Peter Ward. Indeed, her dreams of handsome Sir Peter aimed straight for the alta
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published July 12th 1985 by Fawcett (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Wagered Widow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wagered Widow

Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLeanA Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLeanThen Came You by Lisa KleypasSlightly Dangerous by Mary BaloghThe Last Hellion by Loretta Chase
Wagers & Bets (HR)
24th out of 107 books — 84 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Best Classic Literary Couples
23rd out of 25 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Natalie
Aug 16, 2009 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
Sometimes I really just need a fluffy romance book. This is one I found on the Clean Romances group, and it was really fluffy. This is a historical Romance, set in early Georgian times in England (that's about 1747 or so). It has a fun heroine, and interesting relationships. There were a few historical points that were referenced, but as good historical meat goes it is lacking (but I DID say I was in the mood for a fluffy romance book. The historical part is just background really. . .)

Now, this
Opal
Nov 29, 2015 Opal rated it it was amazing
When one reads a lot of historical romances, some recurring themes become boring. You expect certain things to happen in the plot. Characters start seeming similar.

This book is the most refreshing book I've read in a while. The characters - Rebecca ( the widow in question), her aunt, brother, and her potential beaus are all well-drawn. You actually like and sympathize with all of them. There is no real 'villian'.

The story is very simple in its basic premise. Rebecca Parish has thrown off her b
Deborah
Oct 20, 2010 Deborah rated it it was amazing
GREAT BOOK! Fun, flirty, exciting, and clean. I just really enjoyed this one. I loved how it all turned out and I loved turning each page to find out what was going to happen. I can always tell if it's a five star book if I go back and read my favorite parts...well, I did just that with this book. I LOVED the ending!!! Great bookclub book Ash!!
Jane
Mar 26, 2016 Jane rated it it was amazing
4.50 stars - pg13?
Jenny
Feb 01, 2013 Jenny rated it it was ok
So.... I found this on an "If you like, then you'd like..." post on a blog. A huge list given by commentors listed Patricia Veryan multiple times as THE clean romance author to read. And this particular title was mentioned at least twice. When I went onto Amazon, there were only 5 star ratings, nothing lower, so I shrugged my shoulders and got it.

Here's the thing. Her writing seems very authentic. The time period, the history, the clothes, those awful powdered wigs. But, it seems so boring. Noth
Kathy ~ Bookworm Nation
This was an old-school regency read (actually its not technically a “regency” time period, but close enough) and it took me a little bit to get used to the cadence of the writing. I had to look up a few of the terms Veryan used, but overall it was pretty easy to get into and understand. I really enjoyed the plot; it reminded me a lot of Pride and Prejudice, but with a lot more flirting and a very charming leading man. I typically don’t care for the “rake” character. I don’t think a guy who has h ...more
Lauren
Sep 24, 2014 Lauren rated it liked it
This was the one Veryan book I always wanted to read and never actually found. Now, tacking it on 20+ years after the rest, I wasn't entirely enthralled. Too many similarities to the plots of other of her books. That should probably be taken out on the later ones, but oh well.
Tami (synchro from BL)
Sep 12, 2014 Tami (synchro from BL) rated it really liked it
I very much liked this - read this many years ago, but it made me smile and sigh and I re-read it like three times.
Jenna
Nov 11, 2010 Jenna rated it it was amazing
I only have one complaint about this book and that was that it took me 3 days to get through the first chapter. However, that was likely due to my inability to focus! Once I got past that part I fell in love with this book. It was so much fun!! Thank you for picking it for book club Ashley. I'm going to have to buy my own copy of this one because I will definitely want to read it again.
Lady Salford
A nice light read with endearing characters whom I grew to love. However, I'm not a fan of the Jacobite rebellion and I'm not sure whether I want to read the series that this book was a prequel to. Plus, De Villers won't be in them at all when I had thought it would be about him. No real incentive to read the next books in the series.
Heidi
Oct 16, 2010 Heidi rated it really liked it
This was a cute book. I'm not necessarily a big regency romance fan, but this book was a lot of fun and made me want to keep reading to find out how things would end. I would have prefered a bit more action and relationship development, but overall, I had a lot of fun reading this one!
Susannah Noel
Aug 09, 2012 Susannah Noel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
She's my favorite romance writer still, and this is one of my favorites of hers! Just delightful in every way.
Leslie
Apr 04, 2013 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
Excellent prequel to the Jeweled Men series. I'd forgotten what a rascal Treve was.
Jaimey
Actually Georgian, not Regency. I found this story quite amusing at times. :o)
Leslie
Apr 28, 2011 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-reads
Wow, a clean romance!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Kam
Kam marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Fran
Fran marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Eilidh
Eilidh added it
Jul 15, 2016
Anne Glover
Anne Glover rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Bethany
Bethany rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Roger Barajas
Roger Barajas marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
B
B marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
angela
angela rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
Gun
Gun marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Sarah Bain
Sarah Bain rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Oksana
Oksana marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
fiasco
fiasco rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Grace
Grace rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
  • The Counterfeit Husband
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • The Pirate And The Puritan
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
  • Miss Westlake's Windfall
  • Merlin's Keep
  • The Duke's Double (Lords of Love)
  • Isabella & The English Witch (Trevelyan Family, #1 & #2)
  • The Parfit Knight
  • Playing the Jack (Historical Duo, #1)
  • Winter Wedding
  • A Child of the Revolution
  • Quadrille
  • Fair Game
Patricia Veryan was born in London and moved to the United States after the Second World War; she now lives on the West Coast and is the author of many historical novels.
More about Patricia Veryan...