Start by marking “How We Love: Discover Your Love Style, Enhance Your Marriage” as Want to Read:
How We Love: Discover Your Love Style, Enhance Your Marriage

How We Love: Discover Your Love Style, Enhance Your Marriage

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  563 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Identify the source of missteps in your marriage–and learn
exactly what you can do about it!

Tired of arguing with your spouse over the same old issues?
Longing for a marriage with less conflict and more intimacy?
Struggling under a load of resentment?

In How We Love, relationship experts Milan and Kay Yerkovich draw on the powerful tool of attachment theory to show how you
Published January 15th 2008 by WaterBrook (first published October 10th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about How We Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How We Love

The Five Love Languages by Gary ChapmanThe Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie OmartianLove and Respect by Emerson EggerichsI'm Getting Married! Preparing Your Heart for a Lifetime by Jim GrunsethFighting for Love by Liliya Akhmadeeva
Great books on Christian Marriage
53rd out of 58 books — 71 voters
The Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesThe 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens by Sean CoveyThe God Who Sees You by Tammy MaltbyWhen Angels Die by Caroline de ChavignyThe New Love Triangle by Allen Vaysberg
Books for a great life.
11th out of 27 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Trish
Jul 03, 2012 Trish rated it it was amazing
This was a fascinating book. I have been listening to the New Life Live radio show for about six months, and Milan Yerkovich is one of the co-hosts on the show. Milan and his wife Kay are both counselors and have presented this information, which is based on attachment theory, in many workshops before writing it down to share with a wider audience.

Although the subtitle references marriage, I think How We Love would be helpful for anyone, as our attachment style affects all of our relationships a
Beth Peninger
Sep 29, 2013 Beth Peninger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"When something is broken you cannot repair it unless you understand how it works....Some of us try to fix our marriages without ever taking a look at how they work." And so begins this important, perspective changing, marriage altering - even relationship altering - book. When a friend was describing its premise to me a few weeks ago I was intrigued. How do I love? I'm not sure, if pressed, I could come up with an answer that made sense to anyone including me! And I actually don't know how I lo ...more
Anna
Jan 20, 2010 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
This book addresses in-depth the five different unhealthy love styles that each person gravitates toward: The Avoider, who likes being alone, doesn't share feelings easily, seems unruffled, and values independence; The Pleaser, who feels anxious around a sad or angry person, and ignores own feelings to focus on another's; The Vacillator, who craves closeness and intimacy but feels angry when another doesn't return the same level of affection, often vacillates between warmth and silence, and expe ...more
Holly
Jan 30, 2010 Holly rated it really liked it
I only read so far as it applied to the single. That was probably 75-80% of the book. Then it got into nitty gritty marriage stuff. But the part I read was revealing. I think I can categorize myself as a vascillator, but more importantly, I've thought back through my life to try to understand where my reactions come from. I also interviewed my mom to get a picture of what I was like growing up. I can see how what I've learned will help me develop healthier relationships in general and hopefully, ...more
Joseph
Jan 19, 2016 Joseph rated it it was amazing
A very insightful and helpful read. Being able to look back and reflect upon my own family memories (and lack thereof) helped me to understand how I react to experiences and relationships, fraternal, familial, and romantic notwithstanding. The emphasis of the examples are romantic examples but the core information being presented by the book can be applicable to other relationships too. There are times where the author's voice switches back and forth between Kay and Milan and it can be a bit of ...more
Michelle
Jun 20, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Though I am not generally a fan of the Christian "self-help" genre, I did find this book very insightful regarding the way our imprints of attachment within our family of origin affect the way we relate to our spouse and our spouse likewise to us. Much misunderstanding could be avoided through the practices they suggest. The book is anecdote heavy (not my favorite), but I see how the examples help you understand their work as counselors with many varied situations/couples, and how the ideas can ...more
Caleb Benadum
Feb 02, 2014 Caleb Benadum rated it really liked it
Although unmarried, this book has a lot to offer in terms of self-awareness of the way in which we love. Worth a read for anyone, whether or not aware of their own tendencies, in order to understand and learn to prioritize other people in their lives. That type of understanding is essential for the Christian, as they are called to live a life where their actions attempt to put others before themselves, and in doing so they must understand how other people think and behave in order to determine w ...more
Matt
May 06, 2016 Matt rated it it was ok
Blah! This book feels like "hippy", west coast psychology. Trying to cram people into 5 categories is
ridiculous. I don't see how anyone can "neatly" put themselves into any of them. I image most if
not all people can find traits in all the categories that they have at different points in their life. I can act like any one of the 5 personality types at different points in life. One the most annoying parts of this self-help book is the Yerkovich's desire to blame all the "problems" couples have on
Gina
Jun 09, 2016 Gina rated it really liked it
This book was recommend to me by my Mentor as a way of understanding the things we bring into our marriages from our past. It was a very enlightening book. I would recommend this book to anyone that would like to really get to know their spouse more then they "think" they already do. Although, a bit wordy at times, it got it's point across. I would even recommend this book to newly weds. It might just save a lot of heartaches along their journey of marriage.
Grace
Mar 09, 2014 Grace rated it it was amazing
Excellent read for any marriage or any close relationship. The book helps you to realize the wounds of your past and helps you make meaning out of those experiences. The purpose is to connect your past to your present relationship style, or "love style," and to create a path towards a more whole "you" in the context of your relationship.
Susie

I LOVE this book. Perhaps it is because I am a vacillator and my husband is an avoider, but this has been one of the most helpful resources for our marriage--maybe THE most of all. We are still using the workbook materials for reflection and dialogue together. It has helped us understand and work on some of our repeated patterns and difficult problems. It has helped us gain greater compassion for one another. It is helping us grow.
This is not only helpful for married couples, though it is extr
Joni
Aug 20, 2014 Joni rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, health
Skimmed a lot. Hard to rate because it's mostly 'review' for me and my spouse (we are both mental health professionals.)

It would be a great read for people in relationships who are frustrated with feelings of déjà vu every time a disagreement comes up. Does a wonderful job exploring the cyclical nature of conflict in relationships.
Betsy
Apr 26, 2015 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Eye-opening and helpful in understanding how our upbringing influences how we love our spouse and others. Lots of very practical tips and wisdom on how to grow out of dysfunction into emotionally healthy relationships. This book took me a couple years (of reading it off and on, and processing the material slowly) to completely read, but it was so worth it! I will be referencing it for many years to come. I highly recommend it!
James
Feb 28, 2015 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really found the idea of "love styles" and receiving comfort helpful. However, as with most books like this, I think this could have been half as long. Worth reading the first half.
Lisa
Apr 21, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
So many people have told me to read this book. It is based on attachment theory, and gives you 5 "love styles" and then how those styles mesh together when you choose someone with a different style. It is written by Christian authors, but the "Christian-ness" of the book isn't overwhelming and shouldn't bother you if you aren't Christian. I figured out my style, and was telling my husband about it. He was laughing, because it is just SO me. Then he said "Dare I ask about my style?" and while I w ...more
Alicia
Mar 29, 2016 Alicia rated it liked it
Read this for a book club. I don't love the writing style of the authors (the book is excessively wordy), but I do think there are some interesting ideas in the book that help the reader to better understand their relationship habits. There's also some good advice about how to better connect with and understand your spouse.
Jeannine Lee
Nov 07, 2014 Jeannine Lee rated it it was amazing
Great book for understanding attachment styles. Very good resource for divorcing people experiencing extreme loneliness.
Dana VanTongeren
Dec 24, 2014 Dana VanTongeren rated it it was amazing
Wish I would've read this ages ago.

Deep insight and reflection on how your childhood affects your "love style"
Christina
Mar 08, 2014 Christina rated it it was ok
This book didn't apply to me, but I didn't figure that out until halfway through it since I had to read all the descriptors about each "type". Bummer. It's more of a book for people who had childhoods that weren't healthy and that didn't prepare them for loving relationships, especially marriage.
Vee
Oct 07, 2014 Vee rated it it was amazing
Had a huge AHA moment reading this book.
Jonida
Dec 14, 2013 Jonida rated it it was amazing
I loved the focus of this book on learning how we love, why we love the way we do, what is healthy And not healthy in our loving styles, problem combinations in couples and what it takes to be a secure attachment partner. I think a lot of us spend little time in developing awareness and in return have a difficult time begins aware and fulfilling needs of others. I would highly recommend this book on a personal healing and growth level rather than on marriage though.
Greg Hagues
Jun 21, 2016 Greg Hagues rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Quite helpful and I would recommend to anyone since marriages are important and worth working on. I approached this book as a skeptic of course. I've never liked talking or thinking about feelings, emotions, or the past even though I know the Bible is full-throated about its importance.

This is more of a workbook. I didn't read every page because not all of it applied. I would be interested in reading their book on parenting as well.
Maggie
Nov 27, 2011 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book, which was recommended to me by a friend who is a Christian counselor. It opened my eyes to some of my early life experiences, explaining how those experiences, through the years, have deeply affected me in all of my relationships. I have advised many people to read this book, as well as the Yerkovichs' subsequent book on the same topic but geared to children, which I have also reviewed on this site.
April Lyn
I probably would've gone closer to 2 1/2 stars, given the option. The whole book just felt very redundant. Lots and lots of stories about the same kinds of people, the same issues... after a while I was just waiting for it to be over. I did discover some things about myself and my husband, but whether that was worth reading the whole book for, I'm not sure.
Beck
Jan 18, 2015 Beck rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-myself
If you can't afford counseling, buy this book and do what it says - workbook in the back! Make sure you have a supportive network around you though, tough questions to work through alone. (I tried it alone and stopped after the third question because it was too painful.)
Apr 21, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
I couldn't brag about a self-help book. Not sure if it's because I'm sufficiently screwed up and this book spoke to me deeply or not but it did and it will change my life if I let it. I couldn't more highly recommend this book and now I begin the hardest part...the workbook.
Patrick
Jun 12, 2016 Patrick rated it really liked it
Quite good, though probably not as all-encompassing as the authors seem to say. This book offers a paradigm of behavior best understood in conjunction with other models such as Myers-Briggs, birth order, love languages, etc.
Shelby Beckworth
Feb 12, 2016 Shelby Beckworth rated it it was amazing
Practical, applicable knowledge that will change the way I relate and love forever in a positive way.
Kari
Oct 27, 2008 Kari is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, marriage
I heard about this book on the New Life Live radio broadcast. Tim and I started reading it together last night. Boy, it nailed us both! Even after 20+ years of marriage its good to reevaluate and get fresh insights.
Mary
Nov 10, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Wonderful book. Some very good insights into the reasons why people respond as they do to their mates. I would recommend it for anyone who is trying to figure out the twists and turns of marriage.
  • How to Act Right When Your Spouse Acts Wrong (Indispensable Guides for Godly Living)
  • Healing Is a Choice: 10 Decisions That Will Transform Your Life and 10 Lies That Can Prevent You from Making Them
  • Beyond Boundaries: How To Know When It's Time To Risk Again
  • Every Woman's Marriage: Igniting the Joy and Passion You Both Desire
  • Changes That Heal: How to Understand the Past to Ensure a Healthier Future
  • Foolproofing Your Life: Wisdom for Untangling Your Most Difficult Relationships
  • Sacred Influence: How God Uses Wives to Shape the Souls of Their Husbands
  • You Are What You Think
  • Sex Begins in the Kitchen: Creating Intimacy to Make Your Marriage Sizzle
  • The DNA of Relationships
  • Love at Last Sight: Thirty Days to Grow and Deepen Your Closest Relationships
  • What Women Don't Know (and Men Don't Tell You): The Unspoken Rules of Finding Lasting Love
  • Fit to Be Tied: Making Marriage Last a Lifetime

“We are not born knowing how to understand and express what is inside our souls. That kind of knowing ourselves requires contemplation and reflection. We have to learn to notice and be aware of our internal experiences, to search our hearts and find words for what is inside us. Being fully known and understood requires that we say aloud to someone else what is going on within our souls.” 1 likes