Start by marking “Maybelle Goes to Tea” as Want to Read:
Maybelle Goes to Tea

Maybelle Goes to Tea

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Maybelle doesn't go looking for adventures, but they seem to find her anyway. She just can't be content eating crumbs in the dark like a cockroach should. No, Maybelle wants to taste the delicious surprise in Mrs. Peabody's famous Chocolate Surprise Cookies.

So when Mrs. Peabody holds a Ladies' Spring Tea, Maybelle follows the advice of her new fly friend, Maurice. She goes
Published August 5th 2008 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Maybelle Goes to Tea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maybelle Goes to Tea

Yvonne
Jun 20, 2009 Yvonne rated it it was amazing
I ordered this book on amazon.com after someone on Twitter suggested I watch a video about the book. After watching the video, I just had to get the book for my granddaughter who lives in South Carolina. They have some huge palmetto bugs there and the 6-year-old shares my dislike of them!

I got the book in the mail today. It's a chapter book and perfect for a young, but advanced reader now attending kindergarten (not me-my granddaughter). I read the book and chuckled at the antics of these buggy
Anne Broyles
Feb 01, 2009 Anne Broyles rated it really liked it
Charming Maybelle brings a new understanding of cockroach life. A sweet, funny book with believable bugs and amusing humans.
Dolly
Jan 18, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2011
This is a fun and entertaining chapter book that is good for children who are just starting out with chapter books. While it has a whopping thirteen chapters, each chapter is only about four or five pages long. In addition, the book is small, the font is fairly large and there are a lot of black and white illustrations, so a child can read it in small increments or all at once as we did. I probably should've broken it up into at least two readings as our oldest got a little bored with it, but ou ...more
Beyond the Pages
Mar 03, 2014 Beyond the Pages rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh my stars, this book (audio version) was too funny! It was so humorous that I just want to write, "Hahahahaha...," for my review. I have added it to my favorites; that should tell you something. Please do yourself a favor and get the audio version of this title. After you have it in hand and at the ready to play, be prepared to laugh, chuckle, or whatever it is you do to express your sheer joy and delight.

I secured this title from my local library.
Barb Keister
"Whether you're behaving yourself or not, life is full of surprises." Maybelle the Cockroach usually obeys The Rules; When it's light, stay out of sight. If you're spied, better hide. Never meet with human feet." But one day, her annoyance with a pesty fly leads her to break the rules and have quite the adventure. Cute beginning chapter book.
#bookaday
Emily
Feb 07, 2016 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
This book turns a cockroach that is usually considered gross into a lovable character. The creative details in the book make me want to read more from this series. I would recommend this book to anyone who is beginning to read chapter books.
Hillvan
Sep 14, 2015 Hillvan added it
Shelves: o-2015-2-fall
550L
Lisa
Dec 12, 2008 Lisa rated it it was ok
Cute little cockroach Maybelle disregards her 3 rules and finds herself in the tea treats at Mrs. Peabody's "just so" tea. Her friends Maurice the fly and Henry the flea help her avoid being smashed by the Peabodies and Ramona the cat. The illustrations by Paul Ratz de Tagyos make reading about a cockroach bearable, as he creates an endearing little bug with a huge bow and a pearl necklace.
I only gave it 2 stars because it's just a light fun read with little punch.
B
May 24, 2010 B rated it liked it
Shelves: j-humorous, j-animals
Easy book about Maybelle the cockroach and her other insect friends as they have great adventures when they forget to follow the three cockroach rules: When it's light, stay out of sight, if you're spied, better hide and never meet with human feet. Cute with a few illus.
Carissa
May 15, 2013 Carissa rated it liked it
Maybelle the cockroach gets a bit bolder in this one and ends up ruining a fancy tea party when she just can't wait to find out what's inside the "chocolate surprise" cookies (spoiler: it's fudge!). we also meet a new character--an obnoxious fly named Maurice.
Tricia
Jan 10, 2009 Tricia rated it it was ok
i realize that the maybelle books are supposed to be funny and maybe the loss of my childhood is the reason that i'm not as amused by this roach's life as i might be if I was seven years old. in this book, she ruins the Mrs. Peabody's spring tea--oh woe.
Miss Ryoko
I really enjoy Katie Speck's work! Like it's predecessor, this book was adorable and fun. Decently written with some cute illustrations. I'm enjoying Maybelle's adventures!
Lindsay
Jun 05, 2011 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
This is the first Maybelle book I've read. Wonderful characterizations of a cockroach, flea, and fly. I laughed out loud. The pace of the story is great for the reading level.
Marguarite Markley
Jun 15, 2013 Marguarite Markley rated it really liked it
Poor Maybelle, another adventure ensues when Maurice (a fly) unexpectedly shows up right before Mrs. Peabody's Spring Tea Event. Just as funny as the first.
Amy Brown
Sep 27, 2008 Amy Brown rated it really liked it
Maybelle the cockroach has another adventure, this time involving the Ladies' Spring Tea and Mrs. Peabody's famous Chocolate Surprise Cookies.
Sharon Lawler
Nov 16, 2008 Sharon Lawler rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-fiction-easy
The adventures of Maybelle, the cockroach and her friend Henry, the flea continue with the addition of Maurice, the fly.
Jen
Jan 17, 2009 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile
A cute juvenile read for a beginning chapter book reader. Cute story and characters.
Heather
Oct 24, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
This is a very funny beginning chapter book about a cockroach. It cracks me up.
Diane
May 11, 2010 Diane rated it liked it
cute book. will read to second grade and see what they think.
Caelan Rairdan
Jan 16, 2012 Caelan Rairdan rated it it was amazing
I like this book because it's funny,cool,and really ADVENTUROUS!!!
Kati
Jan 07, 2010 Kati rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
Very cute story, even if it is about a cockroach.
Jolee
Aug 05, 2011 Jolee rated it really liked it
Who knew that a cockroach could be so fun??
Saanvi
Saanvi marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Maggie
Maggie added it
May 23, 2016
Lanie Asuncion
Lanie Asuncion rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016