Start by marking “D.W.'s Library Card (D.W.)” as Want to Read:
D.W.'s Library Card (D.W.)

D.W.'s Library Card (D.W.)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  336 ratings  ·  25 reviews
D.W. can't wait to get a library card, but she has to learn how to write her full name first. She practices and practices, and is finally rewarded with a library card of her very own. But when she tries to find the book she wants, it's gone! Somehow D.W. manages to wait a whole week for the book to be returned, only to hear that she can't damage it or her library card will ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about D.W.'s Library Card, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about D.W.'s Library Card

Library Lion by Michelle KnudsenThe Library by Sarah StewartThe Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians by Carla  MorrisThe Library Dragon by Carmen Agra DeedyLibrary Mouse by Daniel Kirk
Picture Books about the Library!
25th out of 113 books — 131 voters
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Library by Sarah StewartReading Lolita in Tehran by Azar NafisiMr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
Books about Books and Libraries
213th out of 403 books — 127 voters

More lists with this book...

Laurie
Andrew
You know, it says something when I, as an adult, look forward to reading some Arthur, D.W. Adventures. This is just a simple, true, and wonderful story. I think D.W. and her brother Arthur are some of the most developed and relatable characters in children's literature (similar to the Berenstein Bears, yet more subtle with the message). It's the nuance that I like about Marc Brown. He understands the art of the understated. When D.W. takes it upon herself to learn how to write her name, we empat ...more
Rosa Cline
This was a really good "Arthur" book. DW usually is very annoying and irritating...but in this one she sets a good example for young readers. While Arthur is a good brother and has her with him at the library, he doesn't want to check her books out on her card. The librarian tells her when she can write her full name she can get a card of her own. So she goes home and works very hard at writing her name. When she gets it down she goes and gets her very own library card! The book she wanted was c ...more
David
D.W.'s Library Card (D.W. Series) by Marc Brown follows the anticipation, excitement, and humorous worries D.W. has over getting her library card.

After practicing writing her name, D.W. finally gets her library card. She obsesses over waiting a whole week to get the book she really wants, then gets so worried that the book will get damaged that she keeps it safe but doesn't even read it. When it's finally read to her, she is sad over having to return it, until Arthur explains somethng.

Humorous
Nick James
Ah, Arthur. A TV classic and book series that I practically grew up with! I always used to get Arthur books at the library whenever I could, and I really remember this one, D.W.'s Library Card. D.W. was Arthur's pesky sister who always was kinda a nuisance to both Arthur and the reader, but I guess she was such a big hit that she got her own series of books that didn't last too long.
In this one, D.W. wants the childrens book "Hop Along Frog" but Arthur doesn't want to be seen getting her a "baby
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
When your last name is "Read," you really look forward to getting a library card. D.W. can't convince Arthur to check out the book she wants for her because it is a "baby" book. D.W. asks what you need to get a library card. All you need is to be able to write your name. D.W. practices and practices until she can write her name.
The Arthur books are one of my favorite picture book series. I really liked this one and it is a good library themed book too!
Kirsten Mellin
I enjoyed reading this book with my girls. I like that it gives an excellent look at what is expected of children in order to have the responsibility of having a library card and caring for books. Plus, there was a funny twist that Arthur had checked out the "baby book" that he did not want to check out for D.W. to begin with. I will have to say though that I felt like their were two stories in one, so it seemed kind of strange or a little dragged out.
Kim T.
You can never go wrong with Arthur or D.W. and books. I simply loved this story. Not only does it introduce young readers to the library, but it also teaches them about responsibility. Excellent!
Elle Markov
YAY! D.W. is getting her own library card; or she will as soon as she can write her name completely on her own. Of course little D.W. is excited, who wouldn't be excited about being able to check out their own books. The book is fun and perfect for young readers.

Rating 5 out of 5
Read@Book
Jessica
Great book to start a discussion on book care.
Kate
A cute little book for fans of Arthur and budding readers and library users. It's good but not great. One of my frustrations really is the use of specific library rules when they vary so much from library to library. Some children may expect things to be the same at their local library and this is unlikely; plus, you NEVER tell someone (especially a child) that a book will be in within a week if it's checked out because you don't want them disappointed if the book is renewed or returned late. It ...more
Destiny Dawn Long
It's a cute story, and my daughter was excited to read a D.W. book. I liked the idea of a kid eager to get a library card--but with an older sibling, I was a bit surprised that she would be as scared of hurting her library book as she was. And, as usual, I'm really not a fan of Brown's text.

Still, it was an enjoyable enough story and easy for my toddler to follow.
Shannon
Gaby picked this one up at the library, solely because she watches the Arthur series on PBS. It was good, not great. Nice message to take care of library books.
One thing about kids' books I absolutely hate: When they're writing dialogue and they write "said" when it should be "asked." Why do children's authors do that? It makes me stumble when I'm reading.
Dawn
Sep 27, 2008 Dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children
Shelves: picture-books
With warm humor, author Marc Brown introduces library privileges through the character of D.W. This is a great story to share with K/1 students at the beginning of the year. The story portrays libraries and librarians in a positive light.
Kara
This was our first Arthur book though my kids love watching the show. It was cute and Melody thought it was great since she just got her first library card a couple months ago.
Vicki
Anything D.W. is great for my 4-year old today, and the one I had 5 years ago. They both identify with the growing pains and misunderstandings of growing up.
Christine Turner
After finally getting her first library card, Arthur's little sister D.W. tries to check out her favorite book, with humorous results.
Leslie Fisher
This was a good book for kids that talks about the importance of taking care of library books. My 3- and 4-year-old enjoyed it.
Suz
Another great story to share with kindergarten classes as they begin using the library.
Theresa
good early reader, using text to relate to the television show
Mckinley
Not up on this series. The joy of getting one's own library card.
Polly
Not a big Arthur fan, but this is pretty cute!
Beverly
A great plug for libraries
Paul
Short but sweet. Like D. W.
M.
  • The Shelf Elf
  • Tomas and the Library Lady
  • The Librarian of Basra: A True Story from Iraq
  • My Librarian Is a Camel: How Books Are Brought to Children Around the World
  • The Librarian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #5)
  • Lola at the Library
  • Our Library
  • Froggy Plays in the Band
  • Beatrice Doesn't Want To
  • Please Bury Me in the Library
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
  • Stella Louella's Runaway Book
  • Airport
Marc Tolon Brown is perhaps best known for his Arthur series of children's books.

He lives on Martha's Vineyard and in New York City with his wife, Laurie Krasny Brown. He has three children, sons Tolon and Tucker, and daughter Eliza. The names of his two sons have been hidden in all of the Arthur books except for one: Arthur's Tooth.
More about Marc Brown...

D.W. (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • D.W. All Wet
  • D.W. Flips!
  • D.W. Rides Again!
  • D.W. the Picky Eater
  • D.W. Thinks Big
  • D.W., Go to Your Room!
  • D.W.'s Guide to Preschool
  • D.W.'s Lost Blankie (D.W. Series)
  • D.W.'s Guide to Perfect Manners
  • D.W.'s Perfect Present (Arthur)
Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur Writes a Story (Arthur Adventure Series)