Start by marking “The Scorpion Shards (Star Shards Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Scorpion Shards (Star Shards Chronicles, #1)

The Scorpion Shards (Star Shards Chronicles #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  485 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Six outcasts from around the country find themselves drawn together by a mysterious force. A few of them, like Lourde, suffer from horribly disfiguring physical torments that literally threaten to consume them Others, like Dillon must battle inner demons that can erupt at any minute with terrifying consequences. Are they genetic freaks? Or monsters whose evil potential cou ...more
Published October 15th 1996 by Tor Fantasy (first published November 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Scorpion Shards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scorpion Shards

D.G.
**3.5 stars**

Scorpion Shards is a compelling, fast paced story. It chronicles the journey of 6 teens that suffer through the ultimate teenage nightmares, multiplied by a thousand. The whole book deals with the question…do you control your inner monster or let it wreak havoc in the world?

This is not the usual Young Adult book about a beautiful, lonely girl who catches the attention of the bad boy. Dillon, Deanna, Winston, Lourdes, Michael and Tori suffer from anomalies that either transform their
Holly L
This book kind of disappointed me, knowing what Neal Shusterman's other books are like. To be fair, this is one of his earlier books, and his writing has definitely improved in his more recent books. I expected to be addicted and in love with the plot and the characters. The characters seemed pretty one-dimensional. Though the plot had potential to be interesting, it was kind of gross and strange, and what was supposed to be the climax didn't have enough build-up or excitement. First-time Shuste ...more
Maddison
I haven't rated a book 5 stars in a long time! This one was just great! Action-packed with a lot of twists and turns. This one reminded me a lot of his other series', Everlost and Unwind.
Once again his writing style and description was spectacular. I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of this series!
My favourite character was Tory because she's determined and always tells the truth.
One thing that surprised me about this book was that Deanna actually (view spoiler)
Bookstorequeer
I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this book. I've been working on that since I started it...

The concept is interesting and fresh (although a little heavy on metaphor, especially with Dillon and Deanana), so the story had real potential to grab me and not let go. I expected that but I didn't really get it.

There was something about this book that felt... thick to me. Like I was having trouble getting into it, even as I was liking characters and cheering for them, I could have set it
Thomas
JULY 2014:
BOOKTUBEATHON - DAY 7 - BOOK 7
I loved this however I felt like this book could have been executed a lot better, this is why I rated it 4 stars. This may be because it is one of Neal's earlier books and I was expecting it to be as good as Unwind, one of my favourite series, which is one of his later pieces.
I loved the concept and the supernatural powers, they were superb! I also loved the characters, Neal always creates the best characters!
Overall I loved this book but wished the plot
Aelvana
Becoming a teenager was supposed to bring issues, but not quite like this. Six teens, each afflicted with a hideous disorder, are on the hunt for one another as they race to find a cure for their conditions. Obesity. Destruction. Fear. Disease. Regression. Lust. Only these are disorders of supernatural magnitude, and they'll take more than a psychologist to cure. And what happens when one of them decides not to fight the sickening urge?

Stories about teenagers with superpowers are a dime a dozen.
Rose
Apr 25, 2013 Rose marked it as to-read-arc-or-galley  ·  review of another edition
Whoo-hoo! Received this from Edelweiss as well, and I think it's all three books of the Star Shards Chronicles. I'm glad I have 60 days for this because it's over 1000 pages - I'll have to prioritize it over some of my other reads depending on time. I'll be writing individual reviews of each book on my blog and here on GR though.
Anne
I loved this book. Loved it. It gets four stars because of some technical things that jarred me a little bit more than for any real content reason, because I'm picky like that, but overall it had everything I'm looking for in a young-adult fantasy novel.

First component, a really - and I mean REALLY - compelling cast. I loved everyone in this book, and considering it's a 200-some page novel with six main characters, that's a real feat. Not only did I like them all, but they were all painted reali
Think
Scorpion Shards was a freak-tastically trippy and wicked read. It begins with the story of Dillon Cole aka the Destroyer. Dillon has the affliction of the "wrecking hunger" which makes him want to cause catastrophes. Dillon isn't the only one with problems though. Winston is growing backwards, Michael is consumed with lust, Lourdes grows larger every day, Deanna has intense fears and Tory is infested with disease. None of them have ever met, but that is going to change because they all feel an u ...more
Becky
Fantastic Book!!!!!! Here are a list of reasons as to why people should read this and NOT miss out on a unique book Neal Shusterman has provided!

1.The plot! It is absolutely fast pace and keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire book! You never really know where these characters are going to end up. It was such a well-thought out plot with unique elements added to it that are very original! We've seen powers being used in books before but Shusterman manages to add a fresh twist t
Sandy Schmidt
I started The Star Shards Chronicles series because BJ recommended another book by Neal Shusterman but I couldn't find all the books in the series -- so I went back a few years and loaned the three in this. Book I Scorpion Shards could really stand on its own (if one is not too curious)as it introduces us to six young teens affected by a supernova 14 years ago, the light from which they are only see now. Fascinating theory and evolution of the characters.
Ashley
I have gotten to the point that if I see any book that Neal Shusterman wrote, I will automatically read it. I don't even bother reading the description anymore because I just instantly know that the book will be amazing. Scorpion Shards could have been about cereal boxes, and Shusterman would have made me love the cereal boxes and care immensely about what happens to them in their cereal- box- lives.
This book started out on a pretty simple path until it started branching off with some twists an
Amy
I read a lot of pretty strange books, but this book was just weird... And I was completely unimpressed by the fact that the big turning points/realizations in the book were when something just "occurred to" one of the kids or they just kind of figured something out and shared it with someone else. I like some of Shusterman's other writing, but I don't think I'll go any further in this series.
Grace
My first Neal Schusterman book! I've always wanted to give him a try since I've been reading a lot of praise for his Unwind Series, so I did come to this book with a lot expectations.

I don't want to give a full blown review not until I get to the last book. But from what I read so far, this trilogy has a smart premise, great writing and characters you'd want to hug. It explores a lot of themes and issues which various people can relate and is still relevant to this day.

My only complaint so far i
Erikka
I'm a huge Shusterman fan, so when I saw the third book in this series, I was shocked that I'd missed one of his first books. After reading it, I'm very excited about the rest of the trilogy.

Shusterman's characters are unparalleled. They're deep, interesting, and always quirky. This book is clearly an early work, as it lacks some of his quality and finesse, but it's still quite good. The premise is interesting, the language choices are excellent, and I think it sets up the series well.

I was a l
Diana Amielyn
I love this book. The intense battles and the suprising truthes makes me read this book over and over again. The connection between characters keeps me reading non stop. This story thrilling story will keep the suspense to the limit. Be ready for a ecstasy ride of fun.
Cathleen Ash
Tory & Winston, Dillon & Deanna, Michael & Lourdes - these are the people you meet in this story. Each one is a freak. In pairs, they are freakish couples. They are scary, different, strange, and filled with energy capable of destroying if they can't get a handle on it. It's hard enough getting a handle a life when you're a normal kid, imagine what it's like when you weigh a thousand pounds, or your face is really, literally covered in zit-like sores that make people hurt just to loo ...more
Chelsea
This book is as good as I remembered it, if not more. I love the themes that Shusterman plays with, as well as making deeper philosophical musings into a work that can be interesting to multiple different age levels. I loved it as a teen, and I love it, if possible, even more now. I can see now re-reading this, that this book trilogy has been a major influence on the way that I think, including some of the building blocks of what later has become many of my spiritual leanings. I continue to be w ...more
Since this is a trilogy I will have to wait till I read all three before I judge how the I feel about it.
Cecilia
When the glare of a sixteen light year old supernova illuminates the night sky, six interconnected teenagers have a vision. They are all suffering from supernatural afflictions that disfigure their bodies and souls. But only by finding one an other can the six be string enough to defeat these mysterious forces that are devouring their souls, bit by bit.

An old one of Shusterman's, but still great! He is just so creative and a great writer and I pretty much LOVE his books. Can't wait to read the
Hud-c
Apr 24, 2013 Hud-c marked it as to-read
Looking forward to reading this. Had just known while checking out author's FB page. Try hard as I might, I never read any of Shusterman's work other than the Unwind Trilogy. Probably just afraid that the overwhelming feeling I'd got from reading Unwind would not be meet by his other books. Well, that's unfair, all right I know.

So I'm really looking forward to checking this out. I take people's word that this has the same element or even closer to the feel of Unwind Trilogy.
Mrs. McGuire
Wow! This book's truly original plot kept me on the edge of my seat. Six teens are suffering from the most unusual conditions, among them: regressing ages, poisoning from within, debilitating fear. As they are drawn to one another they begin to find how deeply connected they are. As they race to stop an Apocalypse they learn to face their own demons and find their true gifts. I am looking forward to books 2 and 3.
Meg
Sep 25, 2013 Meg rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, ya
First in a trilogy by one of my favorite YA Authors, due for publication in May 2013. This science fiction drama really kept me interested and thinking. 6 teens find themselves changing... in sometimes horrible ways. They are drawn to one another and into a battle for the world. I am eager to start book 2!
This review is based on an ARC provided to me by the publisher.
Christian
The Scorpion Shards was a fairly decent book, although it was not as great as some of the other books I have read by Neal Shusterman (Unwind is still my favorite). The story is about six children and each of them possesses a shattered piece of a star's soul. The book follows the six kids as they finally cross one anothers' paths and discover their hidden talents.
Nurshafiqa
i love neal shusterman, and am very excited to be starting on this new trilogy. and it did not disappoint, even though there are some aspects of the characters/book i find a bit disagreeable. i don't think i can count the number of times my heart's rate went to the extremes because of this book.

4 stars. looking forward to reading book #2!
Gaban Chen
This story is the best so far, in my opinion
Feni
Probably the best "don't judge by cover" example I have ever found. The original cover's artwork is so bad that I passed on it for years. Only picking it up recently because of finding out a new book I got was part three of this series.
Great story. A lot darker than expected for something in the young adult section.
Kat
It wasn't really great. I loved the idea but the ending really didn't do much for me. I don't know if ill continue the series because I don't think my school library has the second book and I don't really think it's worth buying the second book on my kindle.
Matt
May 17, 2007 Matt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Angsty teens
It's been a long time since I read it, but I remember it was a pretty good story. One character has the ability to cause an awful lot of destruction with seemingly very little effort - the times when he does are the best parts of the book.
  • The Cydonian Pyramid (The Klaatu Diskos, #2)
  • Test
  • Chance to Dance for You
  • Countdown
  • Virtual War (Virtual War Chronologs, #1)
  • Postmodern Magic: The Art of Magic in the Information Age
  • The Far Side of Evil
  • Liberator (Worldshaker, #2)
  • Prince Ombra
  • The Mayflower Project (Remnants, #1)
  • Non-Compliance: The Sector
  • Last Stop (Watchers, #1)
  • Peeny Butter Fudge
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Storms of Victory (Witch World Series 3: The Turning, #1)
  • Paradox
  • Breath (Riders of the Apocalypse, #4)
  • Death Sentence
19564
Award-winning author Neal Shusterman grew up in Brooklyn, New York, where he began writing at an early age. After spending his junior and senior years of high school at the American School of Mexico City, Neal went on to UC Irvine, where he made his mark on the UCI swim team, and wrote a successful humor column. Within a year of graduating, he had his first book deal, and was hired to write a movi ...more
More about Neal Shusterman...
Unwind (Unwind, #1) UnWholly (Unwind, #2) Everlost (Skinjacker, #1) Bruiser UnSouled (Unwind, #3)