Start by marking “Les Germes de la destruction (Hellboy #1)” as Want to Read:
Les Germes de la destruction (Hellboy #1)

Les Germes de la destruction (Hellboy #1)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  46,898 Ratings  ·  579 Reviews
Hellboy is one of the most celebrated comics series in recent years. The ultimate artists' artist and a great storyteller whose work is in turns haunting, hilarious, and spellbinding, Mike Mignola has won numerous awards in the comics industry and beyond. When strangeness threatens to engulf the world, a strange man will come to save it. Sent to investigate a mystery with ...more
Hardcover, French Edition, 132 pages
Published May 2009 by Delcourt (first published 1994)

Patrick
Dec 28, 2013 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. I have for years.

That said, I haven't been a faithful follower of the books. I don't read comics in single issues. I read comics once they're collected in trade paperback, and even then, my purchases are erratic.

But earlier this year I went on a Hellboy binge. I bought everything that I didn't already own, and read it all in just a week or two. Both the main storyline, all the side arcs, and the BPRD series too. About 30 books in all.

How do I feel about it after glutting m
Alejandro
Outstanding concept but lacked deeper characterization

This trade paperback edition collects the comic book issues “Hellboy” #1 to #4, which it’s the beginning of the series. Also including the two previous illustrated short stories published as promos for Hellboy, the main character.

Creative Team:

Creator, illustrator and story: Mike Mignola

Script: John Byrne

HECK, BOY!

If I have a real name, I’ve never known it. I’m called Hellboy.

Hellboy is one of the strongest comic book titles in the area
Dirk Grobbelaar

Ah. This was quite good. The art suited the pulpy vibe of the story perfectly.
And it is a good story too, underscored by Lovecraftian influences.

There really isn’t much more I can say, other than this: it’s much better than the film.

Recommended.
Even to readers who don’t particularly enjoy the graphic medium.

J.G. Keely
Aug 04, 2008 J.G. Keely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, horror, reviewed
After the movies, I didn't expect much from the comic. They were fun, but a bit cheesy. The film's director, Guillermo Del Toro tends to make films that are all flash and no substance, like Blade II and Pan's Labyrinth. I assumed that the Hellboy movies were just executed better, but I now realize that the movies fell far short of the source material.

The comics are moody, charming, and uniquely stylized. The dramatic inking and chiaroscuro lighting combines with the simple, evocative lines to cr
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*3.5/5
Sam Quixote
It's been a number of years since I first read Seed of Destruction, the first Hellboy book, and, having read all of them at this point, I decided to go back and re-read the first book because my memories of it were hazy. Well, as I suspected, it's not a great first volume - but Hellboy is an incredible series, so don't be put off by this shaky start. The later books get better and better and better. But this first one...

I had completely forgotten that Mike Mignola didn't write the first Hellboy
Sesana
Aug 27, 2012 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fantasy, comics
The first book of Hellboy can best be described as The X-Files in Arkham. Totally relevant to my interests. For the most part, it delivers. The villain is a little monologue-y, but that seems to be in character for him. I liked Hellboy's narration, and the art is striking. Aside from the main storyline, there are also a couple of short, action-packed comics there are pretty fun to read.
Trish
Oct 30, 2016 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My very first Hellboy comic.
I have seen the two movies and have to say that they were pretty good. Funny, with great make-up and costumes, very good CGI, and the atmosphere they created was fantastic. Thus, I wanted to know if the comics could invoke the same feeling.

Many story elements in this comic reminded me of the first movie. Like how Hellboy comes to our world, who brought him from his world to ours, the Nazi story, his relationship with a certain scientist, his two rather unusual compan
Ivan
I watched the movies when they came out and I though they where ok but nothing to write home about.After it I had some interest in comic but not enough to put it high on my to read list.My interest rose significantly after The goon/ Hellboy crossover and now after finishing available New 52 Batman comics I finally started this series.

After all this time time I should have learned that movies rarely have much in common with comics they are based on. Movie is classical colorful hero movie with cla
Eric
Jun 29, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of supernatural comics with Nazis in them
Shelves: graphic-novels
Like Hellboy? This is where to start with the graphic novels, if you haven't already read it. You'll like it. I promise.

Not familiar with Hellboy? Start reading here, it's an awesome origin. There's really nothing else like it. Also, see the movies, they're by Guillermo del Toro, and they're really good.

Don't like Hellboy? Well that's on you. What isn't to like about a paranormal graphic novel following a trenchcoat-wearing demon that fights evil monsters and Nazis, occasionally at the same time
Artemiy Nizovtsev
So much better on the second reading! John Byrne's writing style is still an annoyance, but oh man, did I miss so many important details from this volume when I first read it. Hellboy is an incredible story, even if it took me a long while to get into it the first time I was reading the books. But the atmosphere, the mythos, the great artwork — it's all already here, in the very first trade. Still, it gets sooo much better in the following volumes — I can't recommend Hellboy enough!

First read: S
Brad
Oct 16, 2009 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comic book fans
I am a man who loves good comic books, and Mike Mignola's Hellboy is exactly that. Good.

It's a solid comic yarn with a charmingly antithetical leading man, fitting pencils, beautiful colour and noirish scripting (helped on by John Byrne in this early volume).

Mike Mignola loves a great action sequence, and Hellboy's big ol' "Right Hand of Doom" and terrible aim with "The Good Samaritan" -- the oversized revolver the eponymous leading man received as a gift from the Torch of Liberty -- ensure tha
Stephen
Apr 19, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
description

I always wanted to know more about Hellboy after seeing the movie a few years ago can't remember much of the movie though, so i came across this book at the store today and decided to pick it up and i have to say it was pretty good again i'm a really big fan of stories with a dark tone to it.

The story begins with Hellboy's origin and the later events are consequences of it. Hellboy may be a demon in appearance, but how he acts makes you think otherwise and you don't really see that often that de
Melissa McShane
Re-read 7/30/15: This story is heavy with symbolism, possibly too heavy if you consider how many stories it draws on: Rasputin, Nazi occultism, otherworldly evil, sin and redemption. Hellboy was deliberately brought into our world to serve Rasputin's purposes in giving ultimate power to a great evil, but rejects that destiny in favor of...the fascinating thing is that he's not entirely sure who he's meant to be, except that he stands in opposition to whatever threatens his adopted world. Add to ...more
Lobeck
Jan 18, 2009 Lobeck rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book, but I ran into a few problems. The narrative and dialog are poorly written. The story is not well-told - and by that I mean confusing and difficult to follow - and is seemingly sacrificed for action sequences, which unfortunately can also be difficult to follow due to some confusing visual story. The art is gorgeous; Mignola utilizes rich, deep colors that sometimes give his art the appearance of an oil painting. His more abstract work is, in particular, quite ...more
Brandon St Mark
Slightly different from the movie, but I have a feeling some of the aspects from the movie will appear in later volumes (none of which I own at this point, something than saddens me greatly). Over all, I think if you like graphic novels or anything by H. P. Lovecraft, or the movies of course, I would definitely recommend this!
Sud666
Aug 11, 2016 Sud666 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Why haven't I read this sooner? Mike Mignola pens a great tale in this, Seed of Destruction, my first Hellboy book. I truly enjoyed everything about it from the haunting and atmospheric artwork to the wonderful tale being told. This is what good comics and good artwork look like.

I really liked this "introduction" to Hellboy. It seems Rasputin, even though they don't specifically call him that, survived his assassination attempt by making a deal with the Serpent. The Serpent promised him life and
Orrin Grey
Jun 08, 2010 Orrin Grey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, re-read, mignola
I recently undertook a plan to re-read every single trade in the Hellboy/B.P.R.D. gestalt, in most cases for about the jillionth time.

I started, of course, where it all started, with Seed of Destruction. I was surprised not to like it more than I did. I have fond memories of Seed of Destruction, and own it more times over than any other book. I love the skeleton of the storyline and many of the scenes and images and so forth, and man do I ever love the frog monsters and Sadu-Hem and the old dark
M. Tatari
Jul 22, 2016 M. Tatari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yıkım Dölü adlı bu cilt aslında Hellboy filminde izlediğimiz hikâyenin asıl versiyonunu oluşturuyor. Rasputin, Nazi Almanyası zamanında gerçekleştirdiği bir büyüyle kahramanımızı bizim dünyamıza getiriyor. Ama onu bulan Profesör Trevor ve Amerikan askerleri oluyor. Böylece Hellboy adını alıp Paranormal Araştırma Bürosu'nun bir parçası oluyor. Balık adam Abe ile payromanyak kızımız Liz de onunla birlikte. Neyse ki benzerlikler burada kısmen sona eriyor, bu sayede filmi izlemiş olmanız hiçbir şey ...more
X Colton X
Dec 18, 2015 X Colton X rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What do you get when you mix superhero comics and H.P. Lovecraft? An ancient tentacled deity with some weird super hyphenated name and a demon superhero cop that wears a trench coat, apparently.

So, the art alone gets 4 stars. It's pretty fucking amazing. Each frame only utilizes a few colors and a whole lotta black. Definitely makes the feel of the book overwhelmingly dark. Gotta hand it to you Mike, you're one of the lucky few who can write and illustrate their own comics.

Edit: So apparently Mi
Latasha
Sep 21, 2014 Latasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
As a huge fan of the movies, I came to this book wanting to know more about Hellboy. This is very different from HB1 but I liked it. The Lovecraft inspiration is obvious (and that's ok). I liked the story, I liked the art. I like all the lil bits of new info- like Hellboy can't see in the dark any better than a human can, what?! There is more creatures like him? I'm definitely reading the next one.
Gary Butler
Apr 24, 2015 Gary Butler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
34th book read in 2015.

Number 118 out of 462 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

أحمد
A nice story with a nice Lovecraftian flavor and some really good art. Mike Mignola you Great Old One!
Malbadeen
My "review":
3 stars here means: It's fine, whatever. I still don't get it.

A bunch of semi-related rambaling:
I went to hear Mike Mignola speak a few weeks ago in the hopes that he was going to clear up my question about cliche' vs. archetype. Instead it confirmed a lot of cliche's about comic book readers and left me more frustrated than before.

Also, did you all already know that when a comic artist (or at least this one) shows up for a signing, that that's all he does? He just signs stuff. No t
Nicole Bunge
Dec 02, 2008 Nicole Bunge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nicole by: Nick Zinn
Finally getting around to reading these. (Thank you Nick, for lending them.)
I didn't expect such a wide deviation from the movie, but, meh... the main elements are there.
I do like that it's narrated by Hellboy himself. And like all good graphic novels, you have to sit and stare at the art long after you've finished reading the page. (and better yet, flip back to see what was in the shadows 2 pages ago, now that you know...)
That being said, it introduces the whole gang, sets them against Rasputin
BookCupid
Mar 13, 2015 BookCupid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
Comic book/ historical-fiction, I wasn't expecting the combination

When starting off any comic book series you need to ask yourself one question ''Do I want to know more?'' In the case of Hellboy, I honestly do. He might come from hell itself and look pretty scary with those horns, but his heart is in the right place. It's impossible not to root for him.

Looking forward to discovering more about Liz.

Arya Stark
Feb 05, 2017 Arya Stark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Similar plot to the first film, excellent art work and a really nice gothic feel to it.

Can't wait to read the next Volume.
Stephen Theaker
When looking at a collaboration between two creators whose work you know individually, it's easy to jump to the wrong conclusions about who contributed what. That happened with AI, for example, where a lot of people said they hated the Spielberg bits and loved the Kubrick bits, without really knowing which was which.

I don't want to make that mistake reviewing this Hellboy book. Certainly, it seems much more like a traditional super-hero comic than later volumes, especially in the first half of t
Jason Pettus
The Chicago Public Library recently established a partnership with online content sharing service Hoopla, which among other things means I suddenly have access to several thousand old comics I've never read before, including most of the back catalog of Dark Horse, Top Shelf and Boom! Studios. And one of the most personally exciting things about this new partnership is that Hoopla is carrying the entire twenty-plus-year history of Hellboy, which is finally going to give me the chance to read this ...more
  • Hellblazer: Original Sins
  • The Goon, Volume 1: Nothin' but Misery
  • Conan, Vol. 1: The Frost Giant's Daughter and Other Stories
  • Planetary, Volume 2: The Fourth Man
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 2: Love and Death
  • Hellboy: Odder Jobs
  • Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne (Atomic Robo, #1)
  • Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 1: Cold Dead Fingers
  • Lucifer, Vol. 3: A Dalliance With the Damned
  • Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits
  • Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands
  • Animal Man, Vol. 1
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 1: The First Hundred Days (Ex Machina, #1)
  • Blacksad
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

Hellboy (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 6: Strange Places (Hellboy, #6)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 7: The Troll Witch and Others (Hellboy, #7)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 8: Darkness Calls (Hellboy, #8)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 9: The Wild Hunt (Hellboy, #9)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 10: The Crooked Man and Others (Hellboy, #10)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 11: The Bride of Hell and Others (Hellboy, #11)

“I'd be the first to admit that I have no shortage of faults.
But if I had to pick one, the one that's gotten me into the most trouble over the years...
...it would be that I sometimes get angry.”
0 likes