Start by marking “Eating With The Angels” as Want to Read:
Eating With The Angels

Eating With The Angels

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Connie Farrell, a New York restaurant critic, is sitting in a first class seat on her way to Venice for the second honeymoon of a lifetime. There's only one problem - Tom, her high school sweetheart and husband of ten years, is not sitting next to her.
Paperback
Published May 1st 2006 by Black Swan Books, Limited (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Eating With The Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating With The Angels

The Cats Mother
I thought this was going to be a chick-lit rom-com with a foodie slant, but it's actually more serious than that, and I liked it more for that reason. It's hard to review without giving too much away: Connie, a 30-something restaurant reviewer, travels to Venice for what is supposed to be her 2nd honeymoon with her husband, but he doesn't show up so she goes alone, meets a handsome gondolier and eats amazing food. There are hints though that things are not as they seem and when she finds herself ...more
Pythia
E' il terzo romanzo della Lynch che mi divoro nel giro di pochi giorni: peccato non sia all'altezza di "Fragole e champagne" e "Pane e cioccolato".
La trama è molto vicina al genere della chick lit, con una protagonista in balia di situazioni un po' assurde, complicati problemi di cuore e non uno, ma ben tre uomini che le ronzano attorno.
Sebbene lo spunto motore della storia potesse promettere bene, il romanzo resta superficiale e scontato, con passaggi talmente veloci che non si riescono ad assa
Hannah
Another great Sarah Kate Lynch! I bet this book spawned from a conversation about what it would be like if you couldn't taste food anymore. And that theory has been well explored. I like the characters, I like how well the food is described, I wish I was eating stuffed sardines right now. I'm sure if you like Marian Keyes you'll like Sarah Kate Lynch. Although it doesn't bother me like it bothers others, I do wonder why none of her books are set in NZ - where she was born and continues to live. ...more
Chel Hartrick
Confusing and disjointed storyline, slow to start, but by about page 100 of a 230 page book I became mildly interested. I am addicted on novels on food and Italy, but was expecting more Italian content from the synopsis. This book was not the best I have read in travel/food alogue, but there was a point where it reached this comfort level even if not for the whole book.

As I had reached a reading block for the past few months, this was an easy read, and I am not sure why I have high expectations
Regina McNally
It is tough for me to review this one. I love Sarah-Kate Lynch, and of the 5 her novels I've read, this is the first one I haven't given 5 stars. It's not that I didn't enjoy this story - I did. The problem is that Lynch, who is from New Zealand, wrote this novel in the first-person voice of a New Yorker. But not in "American" English. Unfortunately, this was very distracting. The main character in no way could pass as being from the U.S., and definitely not as having grown up on Manhattan. Sorr ...more
Juliana Graham
I found this book very difficult to get into but it was worth perservering with as it improved after about 40 pages and the reasons for the confusing plot became clear. Some brilliant descriptions of food and Venice made me want to got Italy and eat LOTS! A good resolution in the end, which I didn't see coming, but then again I never do. So, if you're thinking of reading this, stick with it and it will be worth it in the end!
Andrea
I loved the main character in this book, Connie. At times you really do feel sorry for her :( When the twist appears after her trip to venice, i got so engrossed with the story! I needed to know what happened next! I love Sarah-Kate's way of writing, quite witty and made me laugh at times, i like how Connie could be quite sarcastic :) Overall, i really liked it! Highly recommended!
Julie
Really fun, great for a laugh.
Marcia Conner
Despite this getting the lowest rating of all the Sarah-Kate Lynch books I've read (and I've read all I could get my hands on in the US), this is still far better than most fiction of its kind. Well-written, tasty, and great fun! Just not as utterly amazing as her other books.
Sadaf Hassan
Alot of twists and was very unpredictable, I liked how it highlighted different dishes that would make one's mouth water. However because I've already read a couple of books in which the character is experiencing memory issues, so this one did not intrigue me that much.
Joanne
Jan 22, 2008 Joanne added it
This is true crap-ola. I don't know if I'll forgive her for this one. I read one of hers about cheese and it was kind of okay, in a sweet Irish movie kind of way.

Eating with the angels involves amnesia. Say no more!
Tracy
Called 'on top of everything' in NZ - which doesn't give away the ending as much as this one!
Interesting characters again from this author and keeps the focus on finding what you love in life and going for it.
Adri

Enjoyed reading this. It is not high literature, but it never pretends to be. But it is also not pulp fiction. I would have given 3.5 stars if that was possible.
Samaire
Fun little read about re-inventing yourself and finding your way in the world. Light, funny, and humorous, and a sweet, little pick-me-up mood booster.
Valerie
Another great read with lots about Italian food, the effects of brain surgery and the wonders of Venice. Really very enjoyable and one to remember.
Cheyenne Allenspach
I felt like the plot was a little confusing and definitely not as good as her other books. House of Daugthers was way better!
Ellla Anderson
Not my kind of book. Very boring, my mother was interested but I had to push to finish it.
Amanda Forrest
Slow starter and was annoyed with twist, nearly gave up, but then it got real funny haha
Carla
Like author, all about a critic who loses her sense of taste after an accident
Amy Young
Amy Young marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Debbie Richter
Debbie Richter marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Tmj13
Tmj13 added it
Nov 11, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
  • The Ballroom Class
  • The Fabulously Fashionable Life of Isabel Bookbinder (Isabel Bookbinder #2)
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • The Best Day of Someone Else's Life
  • Mi fido di te
  • Recipe for Life
  • It's All Greek to Me!: A Tale of a Mad Dog and an Englishman, Ruins, Retsina--and Real Greeks
  • My Name Was Judas
  • Footsteps
  • The Lady's Scandalous Night (Tang Dynasty, #2.5)
  • Class (Maggie Adair #1)
  • All Blacks Don't Cry
  • Uncle's Story (Contemporary Pacific Literature)
  • The Devil's Acre
  • Che animale sei? Storia di una pennuta
  • Gang of Four
  • Bad Guys (A Gibbons and Tozzi Novel, #1)
  • Bagheria
Sarah-Kate Lynch is quite a cranky journalist of several decades who prefers making things up to recording them accurately. This is not very good if you are a journalist, which may explain (a) the crankiness and (b) why she now writes novels.

She also writes two columns in the New Zealand Woman's Day, New Zealand's best-selling weekly magazine. One is about nothing and the other is about travel.

Sar
More about Sarah-Kate Lynch...
Blessed Are the Cheesemakers House of Daughters Dolci di Love The Wedding Bees: A Novel of Honey, Love, and Manners By Bread Alone