Start by marking “Gipsy Moth Circles the World” as Want to Read:
Gipsy Moth Circles the World

Gipsy Moth Circles the World

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  609 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When 65-year-old Francis Chichester set sail on his solitary,eastward journey around the world in 1966,many believed he wouldn't return alive. But when the old man returned in his 53-foot ketch Gypsy Moth IV nine months later,he had made history's fastest circumnavigation.

Gipsy Moth Circles the World was an international best-seller when it appeared in 1967.

It inspired t

Published 1967 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Gipsy Moth Circles the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gipsy Moth Circles the World

Sailing Alone around the World by Joshua SlocumThe Endurance by Caroline AlexanderEndurance by Alfred LansingMaiden Voyage by Tania AebiKon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl
Sailing Cruising
14th out of 180 books — 122 voters
Life of Pi by Yann MartelThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest HemingwayMoby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman MelvilleTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe Odyssey by Homer
Boat Books
164th out of 506 books — 381 voters

More lists with this book...

Pam Lindholm-levy
This was my mother's book one of the ones I saved after she passed away. My first attempt to read it ended in failure because the first chapter is all about building and testing Gipsy Moth IV, and it sort of lost me.
Now, after reading all Patrick O'Brian's Aubry/Maturin series, Chichester's book was more accessible and understandable, though there was still plenty of sailing vocabulary I didn't get.
Francis Chichester set off from London/Plymouth in September 1966 to sail singlehanded around the
danny
Gritty, realistic telling of a remarkable feat. Chichester does absolutely nothing to glamorize his experiences under an amazingly grueling set of circumstances. A remarkable, curmudgeonly anti-hero who stunned the world IN HIS SIXTIES. A grumpy inspiration to all...
Kennyo
Chichester's motivation for solo circumnavigation was utterly different from Slocum's (see: Sailing Alone around the World ). Despite advances in technology this trip was only a scant bit easier than Slocum's, though I'd doubt that a person making the trip would agree. Even in the late twentieth century it was a big deal, so much of the reporting about his trip was in the front section of newspapers around the world. His completion of the voyage was front page news. This voyage being contemporar ...more
Suzanne
To think he undertook voyage at age 65 boggles the mind. One of sailing's great men...
Scott Foshee
Surprisingly, I had never heard of Sir Francis Chichester or of his book Gypsy Moth Circles the World until I found and bought a copy at the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney several years ago. I love accounts of true sailing adventures, and when I recently rediscovered this book on my shelf I finally dove in.

Sir Francis Chichester was a distinguished aviator before becoming a yachtsman. He made the first solo flight East to West across the Tasman Sea from New Zealand to Australia, a
Amerynth
Chichester's book details his solo sail around the world, which was the fastest circumnavigation of the globe by a single-handed vessel and it was the longest voyage by a solo vessel without a port of call. (He stopped only in Sydney, Australia during his voyage to and from Plymouth, England.)

His story in interesting and compelling. However, the book is not an easy read for a non-sailor... Chichester assumes you have sailing knowledge and his book is sprinkled with sailing terminology, which was
Michael Harris
March 28, 2013: I picked up another copy at the Friends of the Hilton Head Library and re-read this wonderful book as I am just starting boating. It was as amazing to read as the first time. I will never tire of this epic voyage.

This was a book I picked up at the Austin Public Library Recycled Reads Store. I first read this book when it was published in 1967 and it started me on my reading of adventure, biography and history books as my primary source of reading pleasure. Though I remembered the
Harini Srinivasan
This book, like Kon Tiki, exemplified real adventure for me and my siblings when we were growing up. Loved it and want to reread!
Ed Renehan
great. loves voyage. hates vessel.
krin
Sir Francis Chichester tells a fascinating and detailed story of his historic solo circumnavigation via the Southern Oceans. From day to day, with changes in the weather and the boat's responses to it, there were plenty of surprises both good and bad. I enjoyed reading this book very much.
Tarquilla
An incredible journey and an incredible man. Sir Francis tells the story of overcoming danger and challenges in such a matter of fact way. It is a very old book but somehow does not seem dated.
Frank Bowley
Obviously an exciting story, but the writing style has aged considerably (Chichester was well into his sixties when he wrote the book). It seemed a bit dry and flat at times.
Julian Walker
Visited his yacht as a boy and thought it small. This really brings home the magnitude of his endeavour and evokes a spirit of unassuming adventure that is real hero stuff.
Disparlure Nagle
Still like this story. Starts off a bit slow but overall manages to communicate the scale of his journal better than most other circumnavigation stories I've read.
Dhe
bel libro sull'argomento, a volte molto tecnico come è inevitabile che sia.
Gordon Francisco
A tale of courage, daring, adventure by Sir Francis...
Dan
a favorite book from my childhood
Sharon
Amazing book.
Nani-Chan
Nani-Chan marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Phoebe Hall
Phoebe Hall marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Jean Richards
Jean Richards marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Richard Dixon
Richard Dixon marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
corky
corky marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
  • The Journals
  • Travels Into the Interior of Africa
  • My Life as an Explorer
  • The Home Of The Blizzard: A True Story Of Antarctic Survival
  • The Mountain of My Fear / Deborah : A Wilderness Narrative: Two Mountaineering Classics in One Volume
  • Everest: The West Ridge
  • Farthest North
  • Sailing Alone around the World
  • Fastnet, Force 10: The Deadliest Storm in the History of Modern Sailing
  • In Trouble Again: A Journey Between the Orinoco and the Amazon
  • Running the Amazon
  • No Picnic on Mount Kenya: A Daring Escape, A Perilous Climb
  • Journal of a Trapper: In the Rocky Mountains Between 1834 and 1843; Comprising a General Description of the Country, Climate, Rivers, Lakes, Mountains, ETC the Nature and Habits of Animals, Manners and Customs of Indians and a Complete View of the Life...
  • Cooper's Creek
Aviator and sailor, was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.
More about Francis Chichester...
The Lonely Sea and the Sky (Summersdale Travel) Along The Clipper Way Alone Over The Tasman Sea Alone Across The Atlantic (Sea Books) The Romantic Challenge