Start by marking “Gipsy Moth Circles the World” as Want to Read:
Gipsy Moth Circles the World

Gipsy Moth Circles the World

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  741 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
When 65-year-old Francis Chichester set sail on his solitary,eastward journey around the world in 1966,many believed he wouldn't return alive. But when the old man returned in his 53-foot ketch Gypsy Moth IV nine months later,he had made history's fastest circumnavigation.

Gipsy Moth Circles the World was an international best-seller when it appeared in 1967.

It inspired t

Published 1967 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Gipsy Moth Circles the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gipsy Moth Circles the World

Bill Leach
Jan 27, 2016 Bill Leach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chichester's story of his 1966 solo sailing voyage around the world, at age 65. He did the circumnavigation west to east. The trip took 226 days with a single stop in Sydney, making it the fastest circumnavigation in a small vessel. In 1898, Slocum took 3 years with numerous stops, but did the more difficult east to west against the prevailing winds.

The book largely covers Chichester's day to day activities. It is interesting to see how busy he was with numerous sail changes, and numerous mainte
Pam Lindholm-levy
Jan 19, 2015 Pam Lindholm-levy rated it it was amazing
This was my mother's book one of the ones I saved after she passed away. My first attempt to read it ended in failure because the first chapter is all about building and testing Gipsy Moth IV, and it sort of lost me.
Now, after reading all Patrick O'Brian's Aubry/Maturin series, Chichester's book was more accessible and understandable, though there was still plenty of sailing vocabulary I didn't get.
Francis Chichester set off from London/Plymouth in September 1966 to sail singlehanded around the
danny
Aug 15, 2007 danny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, adventure
Gritty, realistic telling of a remarkable feat. Chichester does absolutely nothing to glamorize his experiences under an amazingly grueling set of circumstances. A remarkable, curmudgeonly anti-hero who stunned the world IN HIS SIXTIES. A grumpy inspiration to all...
KennyO
Feb 04, 2015 KennyO rated it liked it
Chichester's motivation for solo circumnavigation was utterly different from Slocum's (see: Sailing Alone around the World ). Despite advances in technology this trip was only a scant bit easier than Slocum's, though I'd doubt that a person making the trip would agree. Even in the late twentieth century it was a big deal, so much of the reporting about his trip was in the front section of newspapers around the world. His completion of the voyage was front page news. This voyage being contemporar ...more
Suzanne
Jun 29, 2008 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: travel, biography, sailing
To think he undertook voyage at age 65 boggles the mind. One of sailing's great men...
Scott Foshee
Dec 27, 2012 Scott Foshee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly, I had never heard of Sir Francis Chichester or of his book Gypsy Moth Circles the World until I found and bought a copy at the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney several years ago. I love accounts of true sailing adventures, and when I recently rediscovered this book on my shelf I finally dove in.

Sir Francis Chichester was a distinguished aviator before becoming a yachtsman. He made the first solo flight East to West across the Tasman Sea from New Zealand to Australia, a
Amerynth
Chichester's book details his solo sail around the world, which was the fastest circumnavigation of the globe by a single-handed vessel and it was the longest voyage by a solo vessel without a port of call. (He stopped only in Sydney, Australia during his voyage to and from Plymouth, England.)

His story in interesting and compelling. However, the book is not an easy read for a non-sailor... Chichester assumes you have sailing knowledge and his book is sprinkled with sailing terminology, which was
Michael Harris
Mar 28, 2013 Michael Harris rated it really liked it
March 28, 2013: I picked up another copy at the Friends of the Hilton Head Library and re-read this wonderful book as I am just starting boating. It was as amazing to read as the first time. I will never tire of this epic voyage.

This was a book I picked up at the Austin Public Library Recycled Reads Store. I first read this book when it was published in 1967 and it started me on my reading of adventure, biography and history books as my primary source of reading pleasure. Though I remembered the
Harini Srinivasan
This book, like Kon Tiki, exemplified real adventure for me and my siblings when we were growing up. Loved it and want to reread!
Edward Renehan
Sep 09, 2014 Edward Renehan rated it it was amazing
great. loves voyage. hates vessel.
krin
Aug 19, 2009 krin rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, memoir
Sir Francis Chichester tells a fascinating and detailed story of his historic solo circumnavigation via the Southern Oceans. From day to day, with changes in the weather and the boat's responses to it, there were plenty of surprises both good and bad. I enjoyed reading this book very much.
Tarquilla
Mar 02, 2016 Tarquilla rated it really liked it
An incredible journey and an incredible man. Sir Francis tells the story of overcoming danger and challenges in such a matter of fact way. It is a very old book but somehow does not seem dated.
Frank Bowley
Oct 26, 2014 Frank Bowley rated it liked it
Obviously an exciting story, but the writing style has aged considerably (Chichester was well into his sixties when he wrote the book). It seemed a bit dry and flat at times.
Julian Walker
Dec 25, 2013 Julian Walker rated it really liked it
Visited his yacht as a boy and thought it small. This really brings home the magnitude of his endeavour and evokes a spirit of unassuming adventure that is real hero stuff.
Disparlure Nagle
Jan 20, 2011 Disparlure Nagle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still like this story. Starts off a bit slow but overall manages to communicate the scale of his journal better than most other circumnavigation stories I've read.
Dhe
Sep 28, 2011 Dhe rated it really liked it
bel libro sull'argomento, a volte molto tecnico come è inevitabile che sia.
Gordon Francisco
Jan 20, 2010 Gordon Francisco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-enjoyed
A tale of courage, daring, adventure by Sir Francis...
Dan
May 28, 2008 Dan rated it it was amazing
a favorite book from my childhood
Sharon
Oct 29, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: before-goodreads
Amazing book.
Baxter
Baxter rated it it was amazing
Jaap Klasema
Jaap Klasema rated it really liked it
Hans Schoolenberg
Hans Schoolenberg marked it as to-read
Rolf Swanson
Rolf Swanson rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Derek Treatman
Derek Treatman marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Gene Ahn
Gene Ahn marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Andie
Andie marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Reed Gutner
Reed Gutner marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Warren Fulton
Warren Fulton rated it it was amazing
Alvaro
Alvaro marked it as to-read
Sahar
  • Travels Into the Interior of Africa
  • Everest: The West Ridge
  • Kabloona
  • The Mountain of My Fear / Deborah: A Wilderness Narrative
  • Journal of a Trapper: In the Rocky Mountains Between 1834 and 1843; Comprising a General Description of the Country, Climate, Rivers, Lakes, Mountains, ETC the Nature and Habits of Animals, Manners and Customs of Indians and a Complete View of the Life...
  • Sailing Alone around the World
  • The Journals
  • My Life as an Explorer
  • No Picnic on Mount Kenya: A Daring Escape, A Perilous Climb
  • Fastnet, Force 10: The Deadliest Storm in the History of Modern Sailing
Aviator and sailor, was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.
More about Francis Chichester...