Start by marking “The Life of Geoffrey Chaucer: A Critical Biography” as Want to Read:
The Life of Geoffrey Chaucer: A Critical Biography

The Life of Geoffrey Chaucer: A Critical Biography

This important new critical biography traces in carefully considered detail what is known of Geoffrey Chaucer's personal life while exploring the fascinating relationship between the man of affairs, who made so many 'improvisations and accommodations' to ensure his own survival, and the poet. A major reexamination of England's greatest narrative poet, it is supplemented wi ...more
Published January 9th 1995 by Wiley-Blackwell (first published December 31st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Life of Geoffrey Chaucer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life of Geoffrey Chaucer

Richard
Jun 19, 2014 Richard rated it liked it
Heavy on what historical details are available, low on speculation, and not particularly enjoyable if you want to clear picture of Chaucer. That, apparently, cannot be had unless one takes liberties, in which case we'd get a fictionalized portrait. The title does say "Critical Biography," and it deals with Chaucer's writing in detail. I have read only "The Canterbury Tales," but I am now curious about some of the other works.
Tom
Feb 08, 2014 Tom rated it liked it
Densely packed with information, there is a lot to take in on each page. I liked Pearsall's style previously, having encountered him through Langland criticism and his edition of the C text of Piers Plowman. This did not disappoint in that regard. Pearsall is remarkably knowledgeable about the period and demonstrates this. He can also be blunt and assertive, and adds small touches of humour to his analysis which makes otherwise fairly dry topics rather readable. I feel my knowledge and understan ...more
Dwayne Coleman
Probably the best biography of Chaucer there is.
Linda
Aug 30, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
The critical parts of the biography went beyond what my brain could reasonably digest without serious study of his and other contemporary works. More readable areas were gleaned from Life Record documents and author's studied perception of what probably occurred. Will hereafter use as a reference.
Peter Levi
Mar 04, 2013 Peter Levi rated it it was amazing
My favourite Chaucer biography. Pearsall sticks with the facts and his conclusions seem unavoidable. He also offers terrific insight into Chaucer's works and what influenced them.
Becky Hoffman
Mar 05, 2012 Becky Hoffman rated it liked it
This was required reading for my Chaucer class. I'm really REALLY trying to enjoy it. It's ok, nothing to write home about, not like anyone at home would really care anyway.
Shannon
Jan 28, 2008 Shannon rated it did not like it
Required reading for my Chaucer class. This book will be the death of me.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Ben
Ben added it
Jun 26, 2016
Anastasia Kravchenko
Anastasia Kravchenko marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Luke
Luke added it
May 14, 2016
Keri Thomas
Keri Thomas rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Kathryn Henderson
Kathryn Henderson rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Tamara
Tamara added it
Jan 17, 2016
Maria Ameen
Maria Ameen rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2015
Jamie Banks
Jamie Banks marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Sally
Sally rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Charlie Wesley
Charlie Wesley marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Mikee Delony
Mikee Delony rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Ian
Ian rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Trey Rogge
Trey Rogge marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Ekaterina Chicherina
Ekaterina Chicherina rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2014
Rebekah Shields
Rebekah Shields marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Dana
Dana rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2013
Nadia
Nadia rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Lee
Lee rated it liked it
May 12, 2013
Colin Rennert-may
Colin Rennert-may rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2013