Start by marking “The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 3: The Airtight Garage (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #3)” as Want to Read:

The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 3: The Airtight Garage (Major Grubert #2)

Jerry Cornélius a disparu à la fin des années 70, dans le magazine métal hurlant. Il faut le retrouver avant le major, en avançant d'un minimum de deux pages par mois. Mais le garage hermétique est un vrai labyrinthe.
Paperback, English Edition, 120 pages
Published April 1st 1987 by Epic Comics (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 3

mark monday
Mar 07, 2013 mark monday rated it it was amazing
 photo 2_zpsa148c741.jpg
"Grubert is a quasi-legendary being! He's the Creator of this world... he has allied himself with the twenty-three generating divinities who are the sacred pillars of the Tar'hai Mythology... with the help of thirteen expansion generators using The Grubert Effect (the patents of which he had just filed the previous day), he could transform any insignificant asteroid from somewhere within the belt, into a vast and complex world, with several levels if need be..."
Jean Giraud, aka Moebius, aka
antónio alves
Aug 16, 2016 antónio alves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: banda-desenhada
Já li esta estória várias vezes. É, no entanto, a primeira vez que o faço a preto e branco (na edição original). Prefiro a cores: com a cor, os desenhos de Moebius ficam ainda mais fantásticos.

Mesmo passados tantos anos - mais de duas décadas - este continua a ser o autor de banda desenhada que mais aprecio. Talvez pela orgia delirante de ficção científica + fantasia onírica + espiritualidade futurista tão características de Moebius e que TANTO me agradam! :)
Oct 05, 2016 Sebastien rated it really liked it
A really whacked out trippy sci-fi narrative meandering thru multiple dimensions/created worlds. So for me the story and narrative were so-so, but the art is just phenomenal. Def worth reading just to experience the art of Moebius.

Kind of reminds me of Winsor McCay's Little Nemo, both the dreamlike quality and the art style. Speaking of which, I'd be curious if Moebius ever cited McCay's work as an influence, will have to look into that.
Jun 12, 2016 Esteban rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boris Groys señala que en la actualidad la estrategia de autodenuncia es una de las exitosas para producir un efecto de sinceridad en el campo del arte. No fue el caso de Moebius, quien en las entrevistas no tenía problemas en comportarse como un maestro, es decir, como alguien consciente de su avance por un camino árduo. Corría riesgos con eso. De ridículo y de cosas peores. No sucumbió a ninguno de ellos, porque su obra se expresa con sinceridad por sí misma, y confirma que no había pretensión ...more
A hard to find and utterly weird, dreamlike comic. The more I think about it the less it approaches sense(not really its intent), but still the images are wonderful. Reminds me of the animated film The Fantastic Planet.
Oct 24, 2014 Andrew rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-alt
I read the 4 issue reprint edition by DC. Each issue had a page prose recap of the plot...

I have no idea what just happened in this comic.

The story is serialized, so every few pages the page reprints the title. This causes the story to lose its smoothness of narration. Which isn't a particular problem here because the story seems nonsensical. (I think the author was making this up as he went along). The art is typical beautiful Moebius. Unfortunately that is the only redeeming feature of this c
Jul 08, 2016 Gerardo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
L'intera storia è una presa in giro: il lettore tenta disperatamente di riconoscere un intreccio, un senso, un rapporto tra le varie parti, ma non ci riesce. Ogni qual volta sembra emergere un minimo barlume di trama, nella scena successiva le informazioni acquisite perdono di senso.

La lettura è molto complessa, dove viene frustrata la mente umana che cerca sempre di ricostruire rapporti di causa ed effetto all'interno di una storia.

Il mondo di cui si parla è un mondo fantascientifico di cui i
Nov 24, 2008 Ethan rated it it was amazing
Not everything is as it seems. I wasn't too impressed with the art work or the trying too hard dialog. Then I read more. And read even further. My dreams were changed and interrupted with the stories of Jerry Cornelius (or Lewis Carnelian). Intense. Hopefully we will see an open-ended video game based on this world. Read it if you can find a copy.

Jan 03, 2014 zxvasdf rated it really liked it
I order things I can't find through the local interlibrary loan system, and quite often I don't have much expectations towards actually acquiring a copy of an object of desire. Especially one as elusive as The Airtight Garage. Well, I was surprised.

The only reason I wanted to read this is the Jerry Cornelius fiasco. Moorcock coined the character with the intent of allowing other authors to toy with him as they wished, and this was collected in The Nature of the Catastrophe. Well, apparently Moeb
Jul 03, 2008 Peterk rated it it was amazing
For me this is the best comic novel ever, although not everybody's cup of tea due to its chaotic story structure and high level of complexity. I've read it over 20 times and with each read I still discover things I hadn't thought of before. Graphically Moebius has performed better than this (although the result he delivers here is still very impressive), but story wise it is so amazingly creative and refreshing it leaves all other comic books behind by far. As always with Moebius, you have to ac ...more
Apr 06, 2016 Victoria rated it really liked it
I can't begin to explain how amazing Moebius's lines are. The details made this longer to read than it should have - analyzing each panel, the cross hatching and color combinations... Sigh.
Alexander Lisovsky
May 18, 2016 Alexander Lisovsky rated it liked it
Безумству храбрых поём мы песню... "Герметический гараж" задумывался автором как сатирическая история, полная приключенческих клише, но по ходу дела она неожиданно выросла в настоящую сагу, разные части которой разбросаны по всему творчеству Жана Жиро.

Судя по всему, при написании своего самого знаменитого произведения Мёбиус принимал волшебную пилюлю и - без малейших планов на будущее - садился рисовать следующий фрагмент... длиной в одну-две страницы (пока действовала пилюля). И так далее на п
Sep 13, 2016 Angelique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MOEBIUS en el garaje hermético.
(anotaciones y prescripciones sobre una compulsión ontológica.)

El Arte despliega, no sin vanidad, todo un abanico taxonómico de trances: impertérrito verdugo, solicita victima, a esta extravagante variedad no impone otra jerarquía que no sea la del azar. ¿A que nos referimos, al hablar de trances? Al pacto tácito que da inicio a toda experiencia estética. Hay cierto apoderamiento, cierto acuerdo que persiste mas allá del acto que crea la posibilidad de la obra:
Sep 05, 2012 Justin rated it really liked it
There's nothing quite like Moebius, in terms of artwork and writing style. The artwork is utterly dreamlike. Dense, heavy with moving parts, gentle, abstract--he's got it all. The narrative structure is at times chaotic and difficult to follow, but it ultimately rewards with quirky characters and plot points.

These are not easy to find, so if you're able to get a hold of one, do it.
Edward Lebowski
Jan 05, 2014 Edward Lebowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
ermètico agg. [dal lat. mediev. hermeticus, der. del nome del dio Hermes, Ermete (corrispondente al latino Mercurio)] (pl. m. -ci). –

1. Nel sign. originario, sono così qualificate le dottrine religiose, filosofiche e scientifiche contenute nei libri attribuiti al dio Ermete Trismegisto caratterizzate da difficile comprensibilità per i non iniziati (v. ermetismo), e i libri stessi: libri e.; scritti ermetici. Per estens., dottrina e., filosofia e., occulta, cabalistica.

2. Che riguarda l’alchimi
May 03, 2015 Evan rated it it was ok
I respect Moebius quite a lot, and I feel SUPER guilty for not loving all of his stuff—like I'm wrong or broken—but Airtight Garage is one of the absolute least enjoyable things I've read in recent memory. Props to Moebius for having explored new narrative forms (i.e. the absence of a narrative), but holy shit if you're not going to tell a story, why waste the reader's time with so much gibberish nonsense dialogue and narration? Hate it, hate it. At least with Bulletproof Coffin, The Wrenchies, ...more
Apr 07, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
What in the Lord.

IDEA: Wouldn't it have been awesome if Moebius had drawn a graphic novel based on Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles? Yeah.
Zena V.
Feb 15, 2013 Zena V. rated it liked it
what did i just read?
Apr 25, 2014 Fabulantes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"[...]Cuando Moebius dibujó su primera página, como admitió en una ocasión, no tenía ni idea de por dónde iba a derivar la historia y su estrategia de improvisación es apabullante ('dibujaba dos páginas como si fuera una historia, pero al mismo tiempo con un tema, un personaje y un título tan aberrante que cualquier continuación parecía imposible…'), con varias líneas que no se cierran jamás y otras que se van recuperando ('de un mes para otro me l
Oct 27, 2014 Tim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Admittedly, the story is a little (very) difficult to follow...and Moebius himself admits this...but the artwork in here is so sensational (not surprisingly). No one I can think of can create such intricate illustrations with such solid forms...his characters exist in a rich, real world (of course, that real world is about as magical and surreal as you could imagine).
Dragan Nanic
May 16, 2016 Dragan Nanic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Fenomenalno! Izdanje, pogovor/predgovor i naravno sama priča i crtež Mebijusa. S punim pravom referencira Džeri Kornelijusa - jedino Murkokova kreacija može da se meri i deli mesto sa njegovom razuzdanom maštom. Odeća, imena, lokacije, boje, kadrovi, likovi i radnja koja se ne može obuzdati. Strip kome se treba vraćati redovno.

in English:
Absolutely amazing! Edition, foreword and afterword and, of course, story and Moebius' drawings. Rightfully mentioning Jerry Cornelius - only Moorcock's multive
Jul 17, 2014 Jordan rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I just... what? What did I just read? Who knows. Moebius' art was crazy fun, but I have no idea about anything else. This book is probably a lot more enjoyable if you happen to be in an altered state of consciousness. Other than that it's just really fucking bizarre.
Podría ser mejor, en cuanto a organización de la narración, a desarrollo, a regularidad en el progreso dramático y narrativo... Pero no sería lo que es, una obra hermética, que no busca explicaciones, ni las da, que se cierra sobre sí misma y abre nuevas posibilidades... Una obra que se lee una y otra vez con sorpresa, que siempre es nueva lectura, en la que uno se encuentra a sí mismo de una forma diferente, apreciando que cuando una persona lee de nuevo El garaje hermético, ni es la misma pers ...more
Rui Bastos
A história confusa e maioritariamente improvisada não me convenceu. Vale pelo imaginário e pelo(s) universo(s) criado(s), bem como pela arte, tão típica de Moebius.
Jul 30, 2016 Reyel2107 rated it it was amazing
amazing surreal exploration !!!!!
John Robertson
May 14, 2015 John Robertson rated it it was amazing
5 stars, nuf said
Przemek Skoczyński
Jan 06, 2015 Przemek Skoczyński rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Moebius żarł sporo grzybków halucynogennych i to widać. Wspaniałe "coś".
Jul 16, 2014 Nazgul2 rated it really liked it
Jeff Jackson
Dec 08, 2011 Jeff Jackson rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
3.5 stars. Psychedelic sci-fi adventure story dealing with multiple levels of reality. The storyline unfurls in short chapters that are designed to be alternately improvised and heavily-plotted. The overall vibe falls somewhere between, say, the films "The Holy Mountain" and "Fantastic Planet" without being as coherent or successful as either, though Moebius's imagery is often breathtaking.
Big Lemons
Jan 04, 2014 Big Lemons rated it really liked it
Mind-breakingly good art by Jean Giraud (Moebius). The story is a little scattershot, but this particular aspect can be forgiven, because we end up being taken to such weird and wonderful places by it.
Goodreads Librari...: Two different books merged as different editions 2 19 Jun 13, 2016 04:18PM
  • The Incal, Vol. 1 (The Incal, #1-2)
  • The Nikopol Trilogy: The Carnival of Immortals / The Woman Trap / Equator Cold
  • Les murailles de Samaris (Les Cités obscures, #1)
  • Chihuahua Pearl
  • Butterscotch
  • The Book of Jim
  • Un ciel radieux
  • Corto Maltese: Les Helvétiques (Corto Maltese # 11)
  • Powr Mastrs 2
  • Stray Toasters
Jean Henri Gaston Giraud (pen-name: Mœbius) was a French artist, cartoonist, and writer, who worked in the Franco-Belgian bandes dessinées tradition.

Also publishes as Jean Giraud [].
More about Mœbius...

Major Grubert (3 books)
  • Den kåde kyk (Major Grubert, #1)
  • The Man from the Ciguri