Start by marking “The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 3: The Airtight Garage (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #3)” as Want to Read:

The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 3: The Airtight Garage (Major Grubert #2)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  510 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Jerry Cornélius a disparu à la fin des années 70, dans le magazine métal hurlant. Il faut le retrouver avant le major, en avançant d'un minimum de deux pages par mois. Mais le garage hermétique est un vrai labyrinthe.
Paperback, English Edition, 120 pages
Published April 1st 1987 by Epic Comics (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 3

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
295th out of 1,935 books — 4,471 voters
Red Rackham's Treasure by HergéThe Incal by Alejandro JodorowskyThe Nikopol Trilogy by Enki BilalTintin in Tibet by HergéAsterix in Britain by René Goscinny
Best European Graphic Novels/Comics
39th out of 448 books — 143 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
 photo 2_zpsa148c741.jpg
"Grubert is a quasi-legendary being! He's the Creator of this world... he has allied himself with the twenty-three generating divinities who are the sacred pillars of the Tar'hai Mythology... with the help of thirteen expansion generators using The Grubert Effect (the patents of which he had just filed the previous day), he could transform any insignificant asteroid from somewhere within the belt, into a vast and complex world, with several levels if need be..."
Jean Giraud, aka Moebius, aka
Adam
A hard to find and utterly weird, dreamlike comic. The more I think about it the less it approaches sense(not really its intent), but still the images are wonderful. Reminds me of the animated film The Fantastic Planet.
Andrew
I read the 4 issue reprint edition by DC. Each issue had a page prose recap of the plot...

I have no idea what just happened in this comic.

The story is serialized, so every few pages the page reprints the title. This causes the story to lose its smoothness of narration. Which isn't a particular problem here because the story seems nonsensical. (I think the author was making this up as he went along). The art is typical beautiful Moebius. Unfortunately that is the only redeeming feature of this c
Ethan
Not everything is as it seems. I wasn't too impressed with the art work or the trying too hard dialog. Then I read more. And read even further. My dreams were changed and interrupted with the stories of Jerry Cornelius (or Lewis Carnelian). Intense. Hopefully we will see an open-ended video game based on this world. Read it if you can find a copy.

zxvasdf
I order things I can't find through the local interlibrary loan system, and quite often I don't have much expectations towards actually acquiring a copy of an object of desire. Especially one as elusive as The Airtight Garage. Well, I was surprised.

The only reason I wanted to read this is the Jerry Cornelius fiasco. Moorcock coined the character with the intent of allowing other authors to toy with him as they wished, and this was collected in The Nature of the Catastrophe. Well, apparently Moeb
Peterk
For me this is the best comic novel ever, although not everybody's cup of tea due to its chaotic story structure and high level of complexity. I've read it over 20 times and with each read I still discover things I hadn't thought of before. Graphically Moebius has performed better than this (although the result he delivers here is still very impressive), but story wise it is so amazingly creative and refreshing it leaves all other comic books behind by far. As always with Moebius, you have to ac ...more
Justin
There's nothing quite like Moebius, in terms of artwork and writing style. The artwork is utterly dreamlike. Dense, heavy with moving parts, gentle, abstract--he's got it all. The narrative structure is at times chaotic and difficult to follow, but it ultimately rewards with quirky characters and plot points.

These are not easy to find, so if you're able to get a hold of one, do it.
Edward Lebowski
ermètico agg. [dal lat. mediev. hermeticus, der. del nome del dio Hermes, Ermete (corrispondente al latino Mercurio)] (pl. m. -ci). –

1. Nel sign. originario, sono così qualificate le dottrine religiose, filosofiche e scientifiche contenute nei libri attribuiti al dio Ermete Trismegisto caratterizzate da difficile comprensibilità per i non iniziati (v. ermetismo), e i libri stessi: libri e.; scritti ermetici. Per estens., dottrina e., filosofia e., occulta, cabalistica.

2. Che riguarda l’alchimi
Evan
I respect Moebius quite a lot, and I feel SUPER guilty for not loving all of his stuff—like I'm wrong or broken—but Airtight Garage is one of the absolute least enjoyable things I've read in recent memory. Props to Moebius for having explored new narrative forms (i.e. the absence of a narrative), but holy shit if you're not going to tell a story, why waste the reader's time with so much gibberish nonsense dialogue and narration? Hate it, hate it. At least with Bulletproof Coffin, The Wrenchies, ...more
Angela
What in the Lord.

IDEA: Wouldn't it have been awesome if Moebius had drawn a graphic novel based on Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles? Yeah.
Zena V.
what did i just read?
Fabulantes
Reseña: http://www.fabulantes.com/2012/04/el-...
"[...]Cuando Moebius dibujó su primera página, como admitió en una ocasión, no tenía ni idea de por dónde iba a derivar la historia y su estrategia de improvisación es apabullante ('dibujaba dos páginas como si fuera una historia, pero al mismo tiempo con un tema, un personaje y un título tan aberrante que cualquier continuación parecía imposible…'), con varias líneas que no se cierran jamás y otras que se van recuperando ('de un mes para otro me l
Tim
Admittedly, the story is a little (very) difficult to follow...and Moebius himself admits this...but the artwork in here is so sensational (not surprisingly). No one I can think of can create such intricate illustrations with such solid forms...his characters exist in a rich, real world (of course, that real world is about as magical and surreal as you could imagine).
Jordan
I just... what? What did I just read? Who knows. Moebius' art was crazy fun, but I have no idea about anything else. This book is probably a lot more enjoyable if you happen to be in an altered state of consciousness. Other than that it's just really fucking bizarre.
Raúl
Podría ser mejor, en cuanto a organización de la narración, a desarrollo, a regularidad en el progreso dramático y narrativo... Pero no sería lo que es, una obra hermética, que no busca explicaciones, ni las da, que se cierra sobre sí misma y abre nuevas posibilidades... Una obra que se lee una y otra vez con sorpresa, que siempre es nueva lectura, en la que uno se encuentra a sí mismo de una forma diferente, apreciando que cuando una persona lee de nuevo El garaje hermético, ni es la misma pers ...more
Przemek Skoczyński
Moebius żarł sporo grzybków halucynogennych i to widać. Wspaniałe "coś".
Jeff Jackson
3.5 stars. Psychedelic sci-fi adventure story dealing with multiple levels of reality. The storyline unfurls in short chapters that are designed to be alternately improvised and heavily-plotted. The overall vibe falls somewhere between, say, the films "The Holy Mountain" and "Fantastic Planet" without being as coherent or successful as either, though Moebius's imagery is often breathtaking.
Big Lemons
Mind-breakingly good art by Jean Giraud (Moebius). The story is a little scattershot, but this particular aspect can be forgiven, because we end up being taken to such weird and wonderful places by it.
Aldo Ojeda
Dec 18, 2014 Aldo Ojeda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comic lovers
Shelves: comics, surreal
El garaje hermético no es la mejor obra de Moebius, pero sí es, sin embargo, un trabajo muy interesante. Fue una de las primeras historias publicadas por el autor francés (Blueberry y Arzach vinieron antes); el dibujo es genial, como siempre, pero su narrativa no es la mejor. Sin embargo, es aquí donde Moebius consolidaría mucho de su estilo particular.
Randy
It's really a shame that an English translation of this book as well as the rest of Moebius's work isn't kept in print on a more less permanent basis. The Airtight Garage is arguably the best thing that Girard did under the Möebius pen name. It's filled with the most incredible, mind bending art, as well as a cast of quirky characters who came alive on the page.
Ben
I'd been recommended this as the best Moebius book. How nice when something chimes with your own strange dreams, just yesterday I was walking down a dark street writing a sci fi story about a milk-like immortal alien creature... today I read this book, where such a creation would be entirely at home.
Heathbrook Badhwar
Possibly the coolest yarn ever spun. Very trippy & thought provoking and triggers in me that curious feeling of being a child experiencing something new and exciting for the first time. Very deep requesting multiple reads.
christopher
I really like seeing what comes from moebius when he is without a collaborating writer. It may not be as streamlined a story, but that's not his goal either, and by chasing the illusive logic, i feel like i get closer to understanding the mind of moebius.
Komuniststar
dosad najdosadnija iz serijala. svojevremeno je možda bila čudo, možda za filozofski napredne, strpljive i pomne čitače ima tu nešto više ali ja nisam jedan od tih čitača
Kim
Beautiful and crazy at the same time. a masterpiece. Mattias Wivel's review of the work is well written. http://classic.tcj.com/international/...
John
What happens when you make up a massive story as you go along? Innovation.
Gabriel
Amazing art, good humor, willingly confusing story = pure Moebius
Compton
Jan 27, 2009 Compton marked it as to-read
Graphic,To Read
  • The Nikopol Trilogy: The Carnival of Immortals / The Woman Trap / Equator Cold
  • The Incal, Vol. 1 (The Incal, #1-2)
  • Blueberry 1: Chihuahua Pearl
  • Les murailles de Samaris (Les Cités obscures, #1)
  • Forming
  • Butterscotch
  • The Book of Jim
  • Domu: A Child's Dream
  • Corto Maltese: Les Helvétiques (Corto Maltese # 11)
  • Heart of Empire, or The Legacy of Luther Arkwright
  • Flood!
  • 100%
Jean Henri Gaston Giraud (pen-name: Mœbius) was a French artist, cartoonist, and writer, who worked in the Franco-Belgian bandes dessinées tradition.
More about Mœbius...

Major Grubert (3 books)
  • Den kåde kyk (Major Grubert, #1)
  • The Man from the Ciguri
The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 2: Arzach and Other Fantasy Stories (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #2) The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 4: The Long Tomorrow and Other Science Fiction Stories (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #4) The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 1: Upon a Star (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #1) The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 5: The Gardens of Aedena (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #5) The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 6: Pharagonesia and Other Strange Stories (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #6)