Start by marking “Delicious” as Want to Read:
Delicious

Delicious (The Marsdens Series)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  1,799 ratings  ·  218 reviews
Famous in Paris, infamous in London, Verity Durant is as well-known for her mouthwatering cuisine as for her scandalous love life. But that’s the least of the surprises awaiting her new employer when he arrives at the estate of Fairleigh Park following the unexpected death of his brother.

To rising political star Stuart Somerset, Verity Durant is just a name and food is jus
Published July 29th 2008 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Delicious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delicious

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Favorite Historical Romance Novels
383rd out of 2,157 books — 4,080 voters
Coyote in Provence by Dianne HarmanBet Me by Jennifer CrusieCoyote in Provence by Dianne HarmanCan't Stand the Heat by Louisa EdwardsOn the Steamy Side by Louisa Edwards
Foodie Romances
6th out of 123 books — 120 voters

More lists with this book...

♡Karlyn P♡
I debated between 2 and 3 stars on this one as the story itself was utterly absurd. I can stretch my beliefs only so far, but this one pushed passed my limits on many occasions. But in the end the annoying and absurd faded away and we got a decent ending. And I liked Stuart and Verity’s characters enough to stick with the story to learn more about her past. And without a doubt Sherry Thomas can write. I just wish she told a better story and didn’t jar us with flashbacks.

SPOILER

Here is
new_user
Mar 06, 2011 new_user rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to new_user by: seton
Shelves: historical
Every character in Delicious effects a subterfuge, every one wearing a mask, Verity Durante's the most literal. Readers may grow weary of the hide-and-seek between Verity and Stuart Somerset. Stuart inherits his brother's cook and lover after that man's death, but Verity and Stuart have history and, she's decided, a doomed relationship, so she hides. He falls in love with her through her culinary delights-- and later, her afternoon delights. Hyuk, hyuk, hyuk.

I can't complain about this page afte
Barbara M.
Delicious?...Ummm....Heck No!

Contains Some Spoilers

This author pushes your imagination to the limits and you still can't wrap your mind around the things she's expecting you to process. A book like "Lover Avenged" by J.R Ward reads like fiction compared to "Delicious".

Verity is a world renowned chief, but she's working in a common house. Her employer met his maker in an untimely manner and his brother takes over his estates....Verity and Stuart have a little of a past so when he arrives she stee
Christa
Delicious takes place during a time period that is not typical for the historical romances I usually read - the 1890's. It is also different in that the heroine is a chef. While both of these aspects of the novel seemed rather unusual, I recently read a Laura Lee Guhrke novel which shared both characteristics. While I enjoyed Delicious, I have to say that I liked the similar Laura Lee Guhrke book better. The characters in Delicious were likeable, but I didn't find them quite as appealing as Guhr ...more
K.
[“Delicious” by Sherry Thomas (audiobook: Virginia Leishman/Reader = 3.5*)]

Actual rating 2.5* 1892 England
Verity and Stuart

“Cinderella story” huh?? Uh . . . I suppose if you squint your eyes REALLY hard and tilt your head to one side! A Cinderella story is definitely not the first fairytale that comes to mind here for me. In fact, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t reference this story to any “fairytale” whatsoever, unless your talking about the “less than likely” definition, and in that case, the endi
Eastofoz
Sep 09, 2010 Eastofoz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sherry Thomas fans
Sherry Thomas’ second book may not be the strongest in the romance department but the writing itself is still very good. This different take on the Cinderella story is not really believable (big stretches needed here) and the characters are missing that passionate connection that she had in her first book, however it still has you reading to the end to see how it all pans out.

Basically the story is about a woman named Verity Durant who’s leading a double life as a French chef for an aristocrat w
Quinn

There is something about Sherry Thomas’ writing that completely draws me in and wraps itself around me. Her prose is mature, elegant, evocative, and just plain beautiful. I could have read the just the first page and still left more satisfied than I sometimes feel after reading entire books:

In retrospect people said it was a Cinderella story.
Notably missing was the personage of the Fairy Godmother. But other than that, the narrative seemed to contain all the elements of the fairy tale.
KarenH
With so much controversy over Sherry Thomas' debut novel, Private Arrangements, I don't think Delicious has ever received the recognition it deserves. This was a delightful, Cinderella-inspired love story about a gentleman of means who falls head over heels in love with a mysterious beauty whom he engages in a "one-night stand". Come morning his new "love" has vanished and the hero is left with nothing but her muddy galoshes (and an overwhelming desire to find her and return them). But it's long ...more
I_love_a_happily_ever_after
I waited a while to read this book, because I wanted a large span of time where I would not be interrupted. I predicted it would be one that I could not put down, even to take a shower, and I was right! (I took the shower before I started reading, ha-ha). I was not disappointed, and at 2 am, with sniffles, I closed the cover on this quite excellent read. Ms. Thomas breaks so many of the "rules" of romance writing again. But she delivers a wonderful, creative tale unlike the carbon copy stories s ...more
Kris Eton
Catherine
Terra
Delicious by Sherry Thomas is just as the title says. Actually it was mouthwatering delicious and I will never look at a Madeline again in the same way. Whew......who knew food could be so erotic.

Verity Durant has a reputation of not only having the love life of the century but she is the most re known cook that the most elite of families would give their right arm for. She is also somewhat of a mystery since she keeps herself secreted away whenever she is not in the kitchen cooking. Oh and her
Patrícia
Considerado o melhor romance do ano 2008 pelo Library Journal, com críticas espantosas e elogios como «delicioso», «irresistível» e «espantoso», O Fruto Proibido sai da mente brilhante daquela que é considerada «a mais original escritora de romances históricos da actualidade» pela própria Lisa Kleypas, não para a nossa mesa mas para a nossa estante.

Vencedora do RITA Awards, Sherry Thomas traz-nos um verdadeiro banquete de sensações, onde a história da Gata Borralheira ganha outro paladar e nos
FlibBityFLooB
The author had me, to the end... and then the story got convenient. In fact, way too convenient. This is another Sherry Thomas book where I wished for a different ending.

Half the book is set in 1892 and it alternates with scenes from 1882, set as flashback chapters. This is a similar style to Private Arrangements where it switches between past/present.

The book itself reminded me of THE DUCHESS OF DUKE STREET. The heroine is a belowstairs chef. The descriptions of the Victorian food in this book
Jane Stewart
A couple is miserable and apart for most of the book. Too many lies and secrets for illogical reasons.

STORY BRIEF:
Verity is a lady who for unknown reasons has run away from her family. She keeps her identity a secret and works as a cook for Bertie. Her cooking skills are famous in England. She and Bertie have a brief love affair which ends. She goes to London to meet Bertie’s brother Stuart. She does not tell Stuart her name or connection to Bertie. She leaves the next day, and he can’t find her
Mia Marlowe
Aug 24, 2008 Mia Marlowe rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I'm still reading DELICIOUS (perhaps I should say 'devouring' this totally delectable story), but I have to gush about Sherry Thomas' amazing talent.

Her characters are so fully formed, so achingly human. I am in love with them all. The story is luxuriously told, erotic, a feast for the heart and the senses.

Her use of language is exquisite. She doesn't write down to her readers, peppering her prose with words like 'sybaritic' and 'soigne.' But it is her metaphors that make me sigh and despair of
Lα мαlα®
Primero: Odio los retellings de Cenicienta. Creo que es el cuento de hadas más aburrido de la historia.

Segundo: Los protagonistas no pegaban ni con poxiran. Y la historia de amor a primera vista ya es cansadora.

Tercero: La trama era demasiado tirada de los pelos. No tenía pies ni goyete. (En resumen (view spoiler)
Keri
I loved this book. I almost snarled at my husband this morning when he reminded me that we had a birthday party to go to. How could I go to a party, when I hadn't finished this book. But we made it back and I promptly climbed back into Verity and Stuart's world. Sherry Thomas did a phenomenal job on this book. The book felt mature and real to me. I am so glad that I finally read it and it made my life a little richer for having done so.
You know when you find yourself armchair quarterbacking a book? Reworking the plot to fit your idea of what makes more sense, and is more compelling? Yeah, so that happened with this book. The main characters spent so much time apart - despite living under the same ROOF! - in more and more contrived ways. It was silly. Their interactions were far too brief, and did not seem to warrant the attempts to paint them as star crossed lovers.

Actually all the plot points regarding Verity were patently a
Tammy Walton Grant
Third time was DEFINITELY the charm for this book. The first time I read it, it was meh. Second time, I gave up and didn't finish.

This time, I don't know what happened, I just must have been in the right mood for it. ST's writing is amazing: the angst, the pain, the sorrow, the love...my chest hurt the whole time I was reading it.

A couple of little things kept this from a 5 star, but somehow this book has quietly become a favourite.

4.5 stars.

Kat
Feb 04, 2010 Kat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Folks who like Courtney Milan, Stephanie Laurens, and any surprising historical romance.
Sherry Thomas has an amazing way with words, especially surprising (and enviable) because she speaks English as a second language (her first being Chinese). She also is fantastically knowledgeable about the historical era her books are set in (Victorian... I believe. But I'm probably wrong) and peppers such details without her stories that readers, or at least me, can't help but be fascinated.

And the sex is A-MAZ-ING.

I think part of what I like about the two books I've read of hers so far is tha
Gemma
Well finihsed this book today and to use food as an analogy, my overall review for the book is that it was like a meal that although left me a bit satisfied and had many highlights, it left me mostly underwhelmed.

***SPOILERS AHEAD8888

The main characters were so 'blah'. I had no real empthay or sympathy for their plight. The hero was so 'beige. There was no motivation and I found the fact he had stayed chaste for ten years since his one night with 'Cinderella' laughable. I know that you have let
Verity
Jun 05, 2009 Verity rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: FOOD LOVERS
Shelves: thomas-sherry
I luv food as much as romance novels & this whimsical fairy tale is a feast for the senses, but the overly rich food description & various characters’ reactions upon tasting, really took the focus away from the romance. Not that I didn’t appreciate it, but it just went on & on for far too long. The book felt like a ‘How to be a 1st-rate chef’ manual for dummy.

I liked the cute 2ndary romance much better than the main H/H’s. Will & Lizzy’s witty zingers, thought process, humorous a
LuvGirl
Couldn't get into this one. I should have known as it has one of my major pet peeves where the hero is engaged to another woman who doesn't love him and wants to marry him for connections only. I hate that. There is no angst if the Ow doesn't even want the hero. I thought I'd try it anyway to see if something in the book would interest me and keep me from dwelling on the flaw but I was pretty much bored with the hero and the story-line until I gave up.
ChloeLeeNH
I am not sure if I would give this a 4... so probably a 3 1/2. I just got really frustrated at the fact that the h/h didn't see or really interact with each other until 1/2 way through. I understand the reasoning but it was still like... come on everyone! I really liked the secondary relationship that was happening parrallel to this one involving the hero's secretary. I found that more interesting sometimes!
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Sandra
4,5

Verity é uma mulher de muitas identidades, muitas personalidades, que teve de as criar para conseguir sobreviver numa sociedade preconceituosa e implacável com as mulheres. Principamente aquelas que ousam dar um passo em falso em nome de um amor, de uma paixão.

Desde os 17 anos que Verity se recusa a identificar-se verdadeiramente, a enunciar alto qual é a sua proveniência na sociedade londrina. Agora, com 33 anos, depois de anos de luta e sonhos desfeitos ela vê-se numa situação em que tem d
Célia
Depois de uma leitura tão marcante, procurei propositadamente um livro de que à partida gostaria menos e que me proporcionasse uma leitura leve e rápida. Escolhi O Fruto Proibido, que esperava a sua vez vai para 3 anos.

A história resume-se rapidamente: Verity Durant, uma afamada cozinheira francesa, trabalha para Bertie Somerset. No início do livro, este morre de ataque de coração e o seu irmão bastardo, Stuart, herda as suas propriedades e também a cozinheira, por assim dizer. Stuart começa a f
Lelyana Taufik
Well, I don't know ...the first 1/3 book still ok with me, the second 1/3 made me yawn...the last 1/3 made me say ... ummm...this one is down to earth story, very human, so many "human" touch...but still...

Cinderella story always had a focus on the book, it's how Verity became Cinderella...actually , she's a fallen lady...well born, as an aristo, but made mistakes, like most of human being , hardly an angel like most of historical romances ... but too many mistakes makes my eyes a little bit t
Joana
"O Fruto Proibido" é o amor entre Madame Durant, Verity, e Stuart Somerset.
Conheceram-se dez anos antes, onde se apaixonaram loucamente e viveram esse momento com paixão, mas para evitar a rejeição, Verity virou as costas e nunca mais procurou Stuart.
Verity acabou por se tornar amante e após isso, cozinheira do meio-irmão mais velho de Stuart, que morre dez anos passados esse primeiro e único encontro entre a cozinheira e político.
Mas, não foi apenas a rejeição que manteve Madame Durant na "escu
  • Written on Your Skin
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Proof by Seduction (Carhart, #1)
  • A Little Bit Wild (York Family, #1)
  • Indiscreet
  • The Spymaster's Lady (Spymasters, #1)
  • Ways to Be Wicked (Holt Sisters Trilogy, #2)
  • An Indecent Proposition
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The Shadow and the Star (Victorian Hearts, #2)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • The Price Of Desire
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • Surrender of a Siren (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #2)
Sherry Thomas writes both historical romance and young adult fantasy.

On the romance side, she is one of the most acclaimed authors working in the genre today, her books regularly receiving starred reviews and best-of-the-year honors from trade publications. She is also a two-time winner of Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® Award.

On the young adult fantasy side, there isn't much to sa
More about Sherry Thomas...

The Marsdens Series (2 books)
  • Not Quite a Husband
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy, #1) Not Quite a Husband His at Night Private Arrangements The Luckiest Lady in London

“Some lovers were fortunate enough to grow old together. They’d grown old apart. She did not think him any less handsome. She only wished that she’d been there when the first line on his face had appeared, so that she could have stroked and kissed and cherished it.” 37 likes
“Her jaw dropped. She grabbed him by the shoulders. “I think I have formed an attachment to you. You know, what the English call a desire to have symphonic concerts with someone at all hours of the day?”
He smiled. “And I love you too, darling.”

-Lizzy and Will”