J.T.

J.T.

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  18 reviews
To the guys on the block, J.T. is the kid who stole the radio out of the red convertible before they could get to it. His neighbor, Mrs. Morris, declares him a first-class nuisance. His mother is bewildered -- "He's just gone bad, that's all.... Stealin' and lyin' and I don't know what all." But all the sensitivity, responsibility, and care of which ten-year-old J.T. Gambl...more
Published July 15th 1972 by Yearling (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about J.T., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about J.T.

Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Great "Cat" Books
270th out of 887 books — 405 voters
Out of My Mind by Sharon M. DraperFinally by Wendy MassMockingbird by Kathryn ErskineCountdown by Deborah WilesBecause of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea
Mock Newbery 2010/2011
62nd out of 74 books — 189 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate acevedo
i think that it is a book that kids would enjoy because it's about a boy that helps a cat that a leg is broken and at the end he gets a cat of its own and take cares of it like if it was family.
Terence
I'm fudging things a bit here since I've never read the whole book -- it's too painful.

Some background: When I was in second grade, our teachers showed a filmed called "J.T." It's about a black kid growing up in an inner-city ghetto who befriends a stray cat. As this was not a comedy, you can guess what ensues.

The images and the storyline so affected me that 30 years later I'm still afraid to read the final chapters of the book, and I certainly don't want to see the movie again. A friend & c...more
Lisa Marie
This is an amazing story about a boy living in Harlem...entangled in the daily stresses some city children go through. J.T. is undected...misunderstood and ultimately misjudged. I love this redemptive story.
Alyssa
My boyfriend remembers this book as one that really impacted him as a child. I read it for the first time today and I find the story's themes timeless. Great photographs, too.
Diane
Jun 10, 2009 Diane marked it as to-read
Major thanks go out to Lee Anne's sister Jamie for helping finally find this book! Librarians ROCK! : )
Trinity
it was a very good book i love how much emotion there is and how they show it!!!!!!
Holly Armitage
just loved this book as a child! I still have my original paperback.
Carol
Read this with my class every year at Christmas time and still cry.
Kt
Oct 10, 2012 Kt added it
i thought it was a cute storie that had a touching ending
Cody
It's a book that will stick with you, I'll give it that.
Tylia moore
this book is great i can kinda relate to it
Hannah
Sad cat book, great sad cat book.
jacky
Finally! I have been trying to figure out the title of this book for years! I know that I was assigned to read it in elementary school back in the late 80's, but reading the reviews of others, I didn't think I had finished it. I remember clearly the main character buying tuna and putting it on his mom's tab at the store. I remember the purple color on the cover and that the cat was black and white as shown on the cover. This HAS to be the book! Thank you Elizabeth Bird for posting a picture of t...more
Alaina
This book is amazing.
I read this back in 8th grade, I know it's pretty late but I had good reason to! We had independent reading and I remember I'd forgotten to bring my book with me. We had about 10 minutes left in the period, so I figured I could just take anything.

I picked this book basically because it had a cat on the cover. Yep.
I flipped through it a little, looked at the large print and abundance of pictures- and I laughed. I had no idea that this book would get me all emotional.

I was ver...more
Srumpafina
I had this book (hardcover) as a child and read it over and over. I found it very touching, inspiring and encouraging.
Anna
This was one of free books that I was able to pick out from a library's clean out because these books were getting so old. I got this book back in elementary, 3rd grade and I loved the book ever since.

I recently just reread the book and I remembered my first time reading this, I cried all night. Especially because there were actual photographs that shows the progression of the story, it expressed an even deeper sorrow. I really like this book.. and would recommend it to anyone of all age.
Kathy
JM loaned me this novelized version of a CBS TV special and now I SO want to watch it!! Kind of cheesy, but yes, it made me tear up. When books can make me cry or laugh out loud, that's saying something! Off to Netflix . . .

Not available on Netflix! Argh!!
Carissa
I read this in 4th grade and even though the title slipped my mind, the gist of the book never did. What a great children's book! (And for those wondering, I don't have an ebook copy.)
Lana
Lana marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Breeze
Breeze marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Rachie
Rachie marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Carly
Carly added it
Jun 01, 2014
Dot
Dot marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jane Wagner is an American writer, director and producer. Wagner is best known as Lily Tomlin's comedy writer, collaborator and life partner.

She is the author of The Search For Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, The Incredible Shrinking Woman and other Tomlin vehicles.
More about Jane Wagner...
The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe Edith Ann: My Life, So Far The NESFA Hymnal, Volume 2 Reverse Dictionary Peggy Gilbert & Her All-Girl Band