Start by marking “El Diablo” as Want to Read:
El Diablo

El Diablo

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Cutting a swathe of violence through the West, the mysterious gunfighting avenger El Diablo answers to nobody and never leaves a villain alive. But when El Diablo crosses the path of a retired sheriff with a dark secret, the killer becomes a target as a posse is raised and the hunt for El Diablo begins.
Published February 22nd 2008 by TItan Books (first published February 22nd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about El Diablo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Diablo

Federiken Masters
Mar 18, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: westernistas y antiwesternistas
Recommended to Federiken by: Que estaba a mano.
Me gustó: la premisa, la narración, el ambiguo final, casi todos los dibujos, el estilo, el ritmo, el coloreado en alguna que otra página, lo sutil de lo sobrenatural y un par de detallitos más.
No me gustó: varios aspectos de los diseños (salvo los 4 ó 5 personajes principales, el resto son muy fácilmente confundibles), el coloreado plano, antifuncional y "aburridor", lo inexpresivo de algunas caras que deberían transmitir mucho y un par de detallitos más.
Sin duda es un muy buen comic, pero por
Viktor Davion
Sep 22, 2014 Viktor Davion rated it really liked it
Shelves: vengeance, old-west
Really nice dark, gritty with a bit of horror old west story here. It short but has some really nice twists. There are some horror elements in the beginning, but only some. They create really nice atmosphere without sliding to low rate horror story. Story unfolds gradually, leaving El Diablo mysterious and his personality hidden. Later you acknowledge that El Diablo is not the story-driven force but Moses is. Actually he has quite a number of skeletons in his closet. Ironically even more than he ...more
Tony
Jan 24, 2011 Tony rated it really liked it
This blood-soaked book takes the hard-boiled crime genre and moves it to the Old West, with simple yet striking art by Croatian artist Danijel Zezelj. Since I like hard-boiled crime, westerns, and Zezelj's other work, it was a no-brainer to pick this up. The story is a great mishmash of noir, ghost story, and pure pulp. One of the central themes of the noir genre is that one can't escape the past, and that's at the heart of this book. Sheriff Moses Stones used to be a cold-blooded bounty hunter, ...more
Joe Young
Mar 28, 2011 Joe Young rated it liked it
Brian Azzarello - author
Danijel Zezelj - author

Sheriff Moses Stone's quiet, idyllic life is shattered when a mysterious outlaw known only as "El Diablo" abruptly appears in his town, wildy shooting up a gang of outlaws on the run. While trying to intervene, Stone is knocked unconscious. When he comes to, the sherrif has been hung from the rafters of the local saloon and a word has been carved into his back -- "Halo", the name of the Texas town where he was born and raised. The message is not los
Corto Maltese
Jul 26, 2014 Corto Maltese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
A really great, twisted, amoral western tale by the master that gave us 100 Bullets. I liked to read a cool western story without supernatural elements for a change (love Jonah Hex all the same). This is as hardboiled, as stories can get. Not recommended for those with a weak stomach though.
Lauri
Jan 11, 2015 Lauri rated it liked it
Väga vägivaldne aga võrdlemisi tüütu kellegi teise identiteedi näpanud karjavargast kes hakkas teises linnas šerifiks. Poomisi, mahalaskmisi, skalpeerimisi jne on suhteliselt palju. Kunstnikujoon on kuidagi rõhutatult räpane ja robustne. Keskmine, mulle väga ei meeldinud aga hädapärast käib kah.
Kevin
Feb 18, 2016 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice artwork and an interesting story. I had to read it twice to figure out the sort of surprise ending.
Tom Webster
Sep 24, 2015 Tom Webster rated it really liked it
Good premise, decent characterisation and a really good art style.
M.i.
Jun 10, 2015 M.i. rated it liked it
A man with a devastating secret and the trail it leads both to and fro.
I agree with those who call this western noir. I was expecting a supernatural shoot 'em up, and this is not that. Where the story starts in the first chapter and where it ends are so different. While I would not call this Azarello's finest work, it is an accessible introduction to his writing style in one book form.
Mark Desrosiers
Mar 30, 2008 Mark Desrosiers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Unsettling and beautiful: the "good" sheriff sheds one or three layers of self-invention as he chases the title character back to the "Halo" carved upon his back.

Identity theft rerouted to an amoral core: I bet both John Ford and John Milton are smiling at this odd plot & scratching their heads, just like you and me.
Rachel
Dec 31, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: favourites
A unique take on the western with a narrative that forces you to question who you can and can't trust.
The less you know about this book, the better. It's gritty, dark, and a lovely approach to the generic tales of the western.

The book does lose its shock value on rereads, however, it is still enjoyable.
Mitchell
Apr 13, 2010 Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Some may be able to escape the reach of the law for what did they did with greed and a gun, but something or someone is still watching.

I really enjoy Azzarello's work, so I borrowed this book from the library and was very impressed with the story and art.
Michael
Feb 25, 2010 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A nice jaunty tale. While I actually enjoyed this narrative, I wish I liked Azzarello's series, Loveless, as much as I enjoyed this.
Doug
May 14, 2009 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid well-written story. The art was not my favorite, but it didn't get in the way of the storytelling.
Jesse VanDeWalker
Apr 03, 2012 Jesse VanDeWalker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Just a good old-fashioned western revenge yarn with a dose of weird to spice things up. Highly recommended!
Shannon Appelcline
Jun 26, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
A neat bit of western noir, though it takes a couple of issues to really pick up.
Mike
Sep 28, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it
It was okay and worth a read but not my favorite.
Alex Morfesis
Nov 13, 2008 Alex Morfesis rated it it was amazing
a technicolor western nightmare
Matt Piechocinski
Aug 03, 2013 Matt Piechocinski rated it liked it
Great weird west story!
Micah
Micah marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Jerridiot
Jerridiot marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Lebowski1976
Lebowski1976 rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
the lateadopter
the lateadopter rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Aaron
Aaron is currently reading it
Mar 20, 2016
AP
AP marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Soscha
Soscha marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Joe Wygocki
Joe Wygocki marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Jonah Hex, Vol. 3: Origins
  • Jonah Hex: Two-Gun Mojo
  • Kings in Disguise: A Novel
  • The Living and the Dead
  • Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex, Vol. 1
  • Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder, Vol. 1: In the Service of Angels (Witchfinder, #1)
  • Uber, Volume 1
  • Misery Loves Comedy
  • Hellblazer: The Gift
  • DMZ, Vol. 5: The Hidden War
  • Nat Turner
  • The Mystery Play
  • La Marque du Diable (Le Scorpion, #1)
  • Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 3: The Vamp
  • The Twelve, Volume 1
  • Books of Magick: Life During Wartime, Vol. 1
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #15–18: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written for Batman ("B
More about Brian Azzarello...