Start by marking “El Diablo” as Want to Read:
El Diablo

El Diablo

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Cutting a swathe of violence through the West, the mysterious gunfighting avenger El Diablo answers to nobody and never leaves a villain alive. But when El Diablo crosses the path of a retired sheriff with a dark secret, the killer becomes a target as a posse is raised and the hunt for El Diablo begins.
Published February 22nd 2008 by TItan Books (first published February 22nd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about El Diablo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Diablo

Federiken Masters
Mar 18, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: westernistas y antiwesternistas
Recommended to Federiken by: Que estaba a mano.
Me gustó: la premisa, la narración, el ambiguo final, casi todos los dibujos, el estilo, el ritmo, el coloreado en alguna que otra página, lo sutil de lo sobrenatural y un par de detallitos más.
No me gustó: varios aspectos de los diseños (salvo los 4 ó 5 personajes principales, el resto son muy fácilmente confundibles), el coloreado plano, antifuncional y "aburridor", lo inexpresivo de algunas caras que deberían transmitir mucho y un par de detallitos más.
Sin duda es un muy buen comic, pero por
Viktor Davion
Really nice dark, gritty with a bit of horror old west story here. It short but has some really nice twists. There are some horror elements in the beginning, but only some. They create really nice atmosphere without sliding to low rate horror story. Story unfolds gradually, leaving El Diablo mysterious and his personality hidden. Later you acknowledge that El Diablo is not the story-driven force but Moses is. Actually he has quite a number of skeletons in his closet. Ironically even more than he ...more
Tony
This blood-soaked book takes the hard-boiled crime genre and moves it to the Old West, with simple yet striking art by Croatian artist Danijel Zezelj. Since I like hard-boiled crime, westerns, and Zezelj's other work, it was a no-brainer to pick this up. The story is a great mishmash of noir, ghost story, and pure pulp. One of the central themes of the noir genre is that one can't escape the past, and that's at the heart of this book. Sheriff Moses Stones used to be a cold-blooded bounty hunter, ...more
Joe Young
Brian Azzarello - author
Danijel Zezelj - author

Sheriff Moses Stone's quiet, idyllic life is shattered when a mysterious outlaw known only as "El Diablo" abruptly appears in his town, wildy shooting up a gang of outlaws on the run. While trying to intervene, Stone is knocked unconscious. When he comes to, the sherrif has been hung from the rafters of the local saloon and a word has been carved into his back -- "Halo", the name of the Texas town where he was born and raised. The message is not los
Corto Maltese
A really great, twisted, amoral western tale by the master that gave us 100 Bullets. I liked to read a cool western story without supernatural elements for a change (love Jonah Hex all the same). This is as hardboiled, as stories can get. Not recommended for those with a weak stomach though.
Lauri
Väga vägivaldne aga võrdlemisi tüütu kellegi teise identiteedi näpanud karjavargast kes hakkas teises linnas šerifiks. Poomisi, mahalaskmisi, skalpeerimisi jne on suhteliselt palju. Kunstnikujoon on kuidagi rõhutatult räpane ja robustne. Keskmine, mulle väga ei meeldinud aga hädapärast käib kah.
I agree with those who call this western noir. I was expecting a supernatural shoot 'em up, and this is not that. Where the story starts in the first chapter and where it ends are so different. While I would not call this Azarello's finest work, it is an accessible introduction to his writing style in one book form.
Mark Desrosiers
Unsettling and beautiful: the "good" sheriff sheds one or three layers of self-invention as he chases the title character back to the "Halo" carved upon his back.

Identity theft rerouted to an amoral core: I bet both John Ford and John Milton are smiling at this odd plot & scratching their heads, just like you and me.
Rachel Q
A unique take on the western with a narrative that forces you to question who you can and can't trust.
The less you know about this book, the better. It's gritty, dark, and a lovely approach to the generic tales of the western.

The book does lose its shock value on rereads, however, it is still enjoyable.
Mitchell
Some may be able to escape the reach of the law for what did they did with greed and a gun, but something or someone is still watching.

I really enjoy Azzarello's work, so I borrowed this book from the library and was very impressed with the story and art.
Michael
A nice jaunty tale. While I actually enjoyed this narrative, I wish I liked Azzarello's series, Loveless, as much as I enjoyed this.
Doug
Solid well-written story. The art was not my favorite, but it didn't get in the way of the storytelling.
Jesse VanDeWalker
Just a good old-fashioned western revenge yarn with a dose of weird to spice things up. Highly recommended!
Shannon Appelcline
A neat bit of western noir, though it takes a couple of issues to really pick up.
Mike
It was okay and worth a read but not my favorite.
Alex Morfesis
a technicolor western nightmare
Matt Piechocinski
Great weird west story!
Jonas Magnusson
Jonas Magnusson marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Jeff Keyser
Jeff Keyser marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
A David
A David marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Cory
Cory added it
Bragi
Bragi marked it as to-read
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
'kris Pung
'kris Pung marked it as to-read
Filipe Alves
Filipe Alves marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #15–18: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written for Batman ("B
More about Brian Azzarello...
Joker 100 Bullets, Vol. 1: First Shot, Last Call Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Blood 100 Bullets, Vol. 2: Split Second Chance 100 Bullets, Vol. 3: Hang Up on the Hang Low