Start by marking “Heart's Blood” as Want to Read:
Heart's Blood

Heart's Blood (Pit Dragon #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  5,140 ratings  ·  80 reviews
Jakkin risks everything -- freedom, dragon Heart's Blood, even his life -- to rescue beloved Akki who vanished months ago in rebel cell on former prison planet Austar IV. He must become rebel spy Three for mysterious Senator Golden and carry an explosive satchel to the dragon pits. In this game he will lose no matter how well he plays.
Paperback, inc preview A Sending of Dragons, 354 pages
Published 1996 by Magic Carpet Harcourt (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Heart's Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart's Blood

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
120th out of 931 books — 1,873 voters
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikEragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBentwhistle The Dragon in A Chilling Revelation by Paul Cude
68th out of 304 books — 218 voters

More lists with this book...

Like its prequel, this book had a very original setting. I though this story explored the settings potential more, but the story was very anti-climactic.
I would have given this 2 1/2 stars. Heart's Blood continues the story of Dragon's Blood. Here the story becomes involved in the politics of the planet, and Jakkin's relationship with his dragon and Akki develops. Although still imaginative, I found the story a bit clumsy and the dialogue often choppy, or out of character. I found myself thinking, 'would he really have said all that or that way?'Also, I did not like many of the plot choices. I did not like the ending which was too abrupt and rat ...more
I read the Pit Dragon trilogy as a girl, and it stuck with me. When I saw the middle book for sale in the dollar bin at the Half-Price Books, I didn't think: I just rescued that bit of me that was still madly in love with the book. And, despite the twenty or so intervening years - I don't regret it.

YA sci-fi/fantasy, but long before romance in dystopia became the predominant feature of the genre, Heart's Blood is the tale of a dragon, her boy, and his girl, mixed up with a revolution and an evol
Yay for Heart's Blood! I had a lot of fun reading this. I can't remember if Dragon's Blood had a sci-fi theme or not, because this book is definitely heavy on it in comparison! Like, there's the existence of starships, guns, different planets with life on it and so on. I guess I’ll have to read Dragon's Blood again to find out, cause I don't exactly remember. (Whoops!)

One thing that I really love about Heart's Blood is that it includes ‘bad guys’ in the plot. (Yay villains!) I'm 100% certain tha
Kathryn Reeder
An Odd1
"Ask questions but keep your own counsel. Twice he had been so cautioned. He would try it" p 163. Some lessons teen hero learns, others not yet. He dislikes old Likkarn from the start, doesn't really change. (view spoiler)

Motivations, why people act as they do, confuse me here. Political arguments about Federation are boring, I have to skip, get more confused. Deaths. Three warns "Be careful", "Dead right
Nothing life-changing, but this is a decent installment in a fun series. I enjoyed getting to see a bit more of the Austarian culture outside of the farms. The political tug-of-war between the anarchist rebels and the controlling Feds, while only seen in glimpses, felt realistic--and I like that Yolen doesn't come down on one side or the other, but shows both points of view as potentially sympathetic as well as dangerous.
This ambiguity is embodied in the person of Golden, the foppish double (tr
It’s been so long since I read this book but I wanted to jot down a potent reaction that has stayed with me from reading it. This story falls into that category of sequel in which the author trades on the well-being of several established characters to up the ante on drama. It reminds me of the second of two made-for-TV Ewok adventures which as I remember was a real downer. Sequels often head in this melancholy direction. In so doing they remind us that to the extent part one ended with a “Happi ...more
The second book in the "Pit Dragon" trilogy, this volume finds Jakkin getting ready for his dragon's,Heart's Blood, first hatching. Eventually there are five hatchlings and Jakkin vows none will be sold or sent to the stews. While this is happening Jakkin receives an urgent message from Akki, his best friend and love interest. She needs help. So of course all he can think about is figuring out where she is.

In all of this mess Jakkin meets Golden, a Federation member apparently trying to infiltra
This is the second book to Jane Yolen's series of dragon taming. This book captivates the reader at the start-reminding the readers that Jakkin has accomplished his goal to become a dragon master. As a dragon master, people start to treat him like a real master. Later on, he would meet Akkin who travels with him to learn and survive from all the mythical and treacherous dangers approaching them. Jakkin with his dragon, Heart Blood, travels over boulders to ultimately strengthen his dragons' atta ...more
Alex Scholz-lague
Heart's Blood by Jane Yolen was a great extension to the small cliffhanger readers were left with at the end of the first book. Yolen continues to open up her world, making the people of Austar IV feel more real. This book had a more steady and fluid pace than the previous installment, with an ending that opens infinite story possibilities.
Morgan Lee
I actually read this series when I was a kid, and decided to reread it before suggesting it to the girl I nanny for. I quickly found myself engrossed once again with Jakkin and his adventure to steal an dragon egg and train his own dragon. Jakkin is a wonderful character, set apart from the others but always willing to help anyone he considers a friend. Really this series as a whole, including the more recently written 4th book, are great for kids who love the fantasy genera. These books are not ...more
Dan Clarke
This might have pushed up to four stars, with an interesting rebellion intrigue plotline that didn't end the way I expected it to, but the last few pages were the literary equivalent of the acid trip in 2001: A Space Odyssey. I didn't enjoy that much, and I have to say I'm not looking forward to jumping into a weird third book with the changes that happened right at the end.
I have had a bit of a difficult time finishing this book...I started it in June and it is now the beginning of November. I didn't find the beginning particularly engaging, though it did get better after several chapters, I still don't know how I feel about the ending. This book wasn't bad, and until I finished it today I would have told you that if I would have read this book when I was in Jr. High or High school and reading Anne McCaffrey's novels I would have loved it. Now I am not so sure. Th ...more
Michael Garner
Book 2 expands upon the world of Austar 5. The characters spend more time traveling to new locations not explored in book 2. Jakkin, the story's hero, spends most of the time fighting with himself in his new role as dragon master; feeling unworthy to the task. The book introduces a couple of new characters, with most of them making only 1 or 2 appearances. The exception being Golden, the senator.

Book 2, like Book 1, is a quick read, however, it is not as good as the first 1. It was easier to put
I didn't like how this second book got a bit too political. When I first read this series, I found it in the Teen book section at my library, and I do still consider it a teen series; especially the first book. This second book, as I said, gets more into the politics of Austar IV with rebels and Federations and blah, blah, yawn. My mind shuts off even at the first mention of politics, and it is because of the political unrest of this planet that big plot changes happen to our main characters. An ...more
Lisa Rathbun
New worlds unfold in book 2 as we follow Jakkin to the capital city of Austar and then into the stews, from a wealthy politician's house to a back-alley bar. The politics of Austar are a bit confusing; are we supposed to root for the rebels? the federation? the Austarians? I think Yolen purposefully makes it unclear so we understand Jakkin's confusion as well; she may also be showing that no one party has completely pure motives. The ending surprised me. There's also an unexpected way to survive ...more
Andrew Suzanne
The second of Jane Yolen's pit dragon chronicles dabbles in political intrigue, cloak-and-dagger, and the 'bigger picture'. Things don't unfold quite as smoothly as the first of the series, but it's no less imaginative or compelling. Jakkin must serve an undercover rebel sympathizer as a means to discovering the fate of Akki, the girl he cares greatly for. The plot and final outcome of this story is harrowing and emotional; guaranteed to move you.

If you enjoy a sci-fi adventure involving the car
another book I enjoyed as a young kid.
A thrilling read.
This one was a little harder to get into than the first one. There's a lot of political machinations going on, and some undercover work, maybe a double-agent or two. It was hard to understand who was doing what and why, but I still LOVED anything that had to do with the care and feeding of dragons.

This was probably the first book I read as a young adult that had a happy-but-kinda-sad ending. I tend to think of this book as mostly just a bridge between the first and last of the series.
Aug 03, 2009 Evelyn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who have read Dragon's Blood
I usually love any Jane Yolen book that I read, but this one I didn't really enjoy. Though the title is Heart's Blood, it felt more about Jakkin pining after Akki than anything else - dragons, my main attraction to the books, seemed put aside. The writing was still amazing, but the characters that I actually care about were pushed aside for Akki, a character that I have no particular love for.
Welwyn Katz
I hate blood sports, and yet I love Jane Yolen. What's a reader to do? Well, I read the first in the Pit Dragon Trilogy (a fourth is on the way), and sadly put away the other two which I had already bought. I loved the dragons too much to fear for their lives every time they fought. And there was something a bit worrying about the bonding Jakkin has with his dragons. He fights their fights in his mind (literally), and so the bloodiness became even more disturbing to me.
i waffled between giving this book 3 or 4 stars. on the one hand, the politics are clumsily introduced into the series & handled a bit awkwardly. on the other hand, the motivations for the various characters are compelling. but what ultimately tipped it for me with this one was the end. i honestly had a hard time finishing the book because it upset me greatly. and if i cared that much, i should go with the higher score, cause that's a mark of successful writing.
Great book with a pretty clean story over all. I really enjoyed the new (to me) look on dragons. In this series, dragons are viewed almost like horses and instead of races and different competitions, they are used for fighting. Over all I really enjoyed it and as I went through the books I found them more difficult to put down. I would definately reccommend these to anyone who loves dragons and a good story.
Quote from WORD for Teens:

I enjoyed the plot line of this book just as much as in Dragon's Blood, but the relationship between Jakkin and Akki wasn't very believable - the love for dragon and master between Jakkin and Heart's Blood was something much, much more believable...

To read the full review, click here.
Eh you know, Young Adult book. Taking into account I was not the target audience, nor did I read the book before this one, it was still okay. The auhor has an experienced hand and the "message" was clear. Not to mention the unusual setting elements, which were a strength in terms of originality. Dragons in this world are not following any classic tropes, and for that I respect the author.
Less joyous than the first, this book has many more consequences and a lot more politics. Unfortunately politics seen through Jakkin's eyes, so we see the movements and repercussions without any idea who or what is behind them, who is good, who is bad. So very realistic, but not exactly *fun*.

Interesting ending though. Glad I have the sequel on hand.
  • Sign of the Dove (The Dragon Chronicles, Book 3)
  • Dragon Cauldron
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Drowned Ammet (The Dalemark Quartet, #2)
  • Dark Moon (Firebringer, #2)
  • Dragon and Slave (Dragonback, #3)
  • The Dragonslayers Apprentice
  • Dragon's Bait
  • Dragon Avenger (Age of Fire #2)
  • Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2)
  • The Hidden Land (The Secret Country, #2)
  • Bazil Broketail (Bazil Broketail, #1)
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...