Start by marking “Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More!” as Want to Read:
Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More!

Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More!

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,096 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
Contains more than 25 patterns for zombies ninjas Vikings vampires aliens robots and even Death himself. Easy-to- follow patterns with step-by-step diagrams hilarious com- mentary and full-color photos. HARDCOVER Hachette Book Group
Published April 1st 2008 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Creepy Cute Crochet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creepy Cute Crochet

Wart Hill
Jan 29, 2014 Wart Hill marked it as taking-a-break
GUESS WHAT I HAVE!

I will be doing a series of blog posts when I start making these called 'Adventures in Creepy Crochet" complete with pictures.

When I write my review, I will cross post said pictures here.

That is all.

ETA: Adventures in Crochet Robot should be done later today.
Nikki
Jan 09, 2012 Nikki rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, crafts
Pretty much what it says on the cover: creepy, cute crochet. Too cute to really be creepy, actually, but it is a halloween sort of theme. Not entirely sure about the knight, Trojan and Spartan's inclusion... Anyway, all of these look pretty easy and quick to make, too.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
May 25, 2008 Kelly H. (Maybedog) rated it really liked it
While the critters aren't nearly as cute as those in other amigurami books, the "creepy" twist is fabulous. I love the blood coming out of the vampire's mouth and the gruesome looks on the monsters. This is a good book if you like alternatives to patterns of cute bunnies and simpering kittens. (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)
Jasmine
Oct 29, 2010 Jasmine rated it really liked it
Brenna
Oct 05, 2009 Brenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Christen Haden (aka: "NeedleNoodles") loves her monkeys. She also is a huge fan of her ninjas, zombies, and sea monsters. So, she wondered, why not combine these with her passion for crochet?

In CREEPY Cute Crochet, Haden brings these monsters from her fertile mind onto the glossy page of this petite volume, in hopes of transferring them from the paper therein into the homes of the book's crafty readership. The temptation to dump all prior engagements and pick up a U.S. Size E hook becomes all to
Tabitha (Pabkins)
Sep 13, 2014 Tabitha (Pabkins) rated it liked it
Shelves: arts-and-crafts
A friend bought this for me as a present. It's perfect for a beginner but very boring for someone like me who has been crocheting amigurumi toys for a few years. All of the patterns are the same base pattern with the only difference really being the embellishments. I think there were only two in whole batch that I thought were cute. I only recommend for beginners to crochet and amigurumi toy making. But after looking at a few other such amigurumi pattern books I think that is frequently the case ...more
Gus
Mar 17, 2010 Gus rated it liked it
Shelves: amigurumi, crochet
Even though its been said, this book is totally NOT for beginners (like me)! There are no how-tos and the writing is sadly much to confusing for a noobie like me. It's very sad, but hopefully in a few months I'll be able to pick it up again and understand. For now, I'm sticking with another, easier amigurumi book!
Danielle
Jul 31, 2008 Danielle rated it it was amazing
This book is too cute! I can't wait to make some of these! I do have to note that the back of the book says that one of the patterns included is for a viking however there is no viking pattern in the book or the table of contents. Oh well. I'll have to make up my own viking then!
Heather
Sep 20, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting, crafts
oh I LOVE this, I want to make them all! Too bad I don't know how to crochet...:)
Valerie Sherman
Jul 05, 2009 Valerie Sherman rated it it was amazing
Completely wonderful crochet patterns, and all very do-able. So far I've made two ninjas and a cthulhu!
Sara
Jun 05, 2017 Sara rated it really liked it
Really cute crocheted creepy critters with easy directions. Wish I was better at crocheting so I could make them all!
78sunny
Mar 29, 2015 78sunny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich hatte mich sehr auf dieses Buch gefreut und es zusammen mit einer Jugendlichen ausprobiert, die keine großen Vorkenntnisse hat. Ich selbst habe bereits so einiges gehäkelt, darunter auch viele Amigurumi.

Laut Inhaltsangabe soll das Buch ja für Anfänger und Fortgeschrittene gleichermaßen geeignet sein. Dies kann ich nicht bestätigen. Leider sind die Anleitungen für Anfänger eher schwierig zu verstehen und es muss sich sehr konzentriert werden, damit man nicht in der Zeile verrutscht oder etwas
Ami
Dec 17, 2010 Ami rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Very awesome idea. I read the book, and I'm working through the patterns right now. I started with the alien, which I deemed to be the easiest since there is only one body instead of a body and a head. On that one, the double-ply yarn and the curliness of one of the recommended yarns makes it difficult, but it comes out a cute, sturdy ball-thing. My favorite part of that pattern was the way the antenna were made. Right now I'm working on the ninja.

The symbolic patterns are a little difficult to
Grace
Feb 22, 2011 Grace rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts, crochet
Creepy Cute is one of the many of hundreds of amigurumi crochet books out there on the market right now. What makes this one different is the fact that the designs center around the more Halloween-esque figures. This has everything from zombies to Cthulhu, skeletons and Medusa. All of them look adorable. There are even directions in the front of the book for special adornments for the eyes and weapons. There are also quite a few useful tips on how to fix little things, like uneven stuffing of th ...more
Lani
May 27, 2008 Lani rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafty
Cristin owns this, but I've been using it.

Absolutely adorable patterns that are a lot of fun to work with. They work up quickly and yield results within a few hours.

That being said, some of the instructions for new techniques are VERY confusing. Once you get the hang of what the author is describing, it all clicks and the methods ARE easier. But not the best explanations to get you there.

Absolutely NOT a book for a beginning crocheter. There are no 'how-to' sections, and the work is with a fairl
PBnJ
Aug 01, 2011 PBnJ rated it it was amazing
Grab this book if you're looking for a bit of a challenge and some seriously imaginative patterns! This book is chock full of crazy cute patterns that are well-written, well-photographed, and have instructions that are easy to follow. For those looking for a quick fiber fix, most of the projects can be turned around in only a day or two.

This would be a great pattern and inspiration book for a fairly experienced crocheter that likes to make cute little gewgaws and toys. Note: If you're a beginne
Ris
May 21, 2013 Ris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hobbies
This book is one of the most helpful crochet pattern books I've picked up to date. And Christen Haden has an adorable, quirky sense of humor--There's a super cute monkey pattern thrown into the mix just because--that made this book so enjoyable. It's wonderful! It's rare to find a pattern book where I actually WANT to read all the little blurbs and floating quotes.

The first part of the book is dedicated to discussing materials, pros and cons of different products, and options for customizing pro
Kate
Apr 29, 2011 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: age-ya, non-fiction, 2011
I bought this book a few years ago for the library, and I had flipped through it back then. The patterns are cute but there wasn't anything I was dying to make. Then recently I decided I wanted to make the Cthulhu amigurumi. So far I haven't finished. The pattern seems to be a bit more difficult than I thought it would be, although why I thought a tentacled alien would be easy is beyond me.

The amigurumi patterns are not all horror-related, as the title says, there are ninjas and robots in additi
Farhana Faruq
Jul 23, 2012 Farhana Faruq rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
Wonderful book! (Link below of what I crocheted)
There is a lot a really love about it:
- the 'creatures' are very cute
- there is actually a variety to make, from ninjas and robots, to skeletons and zombies
- they all pretty much use the same basic (head, body) pattern - so you have lots of room to come up with your own creations
- there is both a written pattern and an illustrated pattern
- they are unique - lots of amigurumi style creatures out there, but I personally haven't come across any like t
Rachel Smalter Hall
Nov 21, 2011 Rachel Smalter Hall rated it really liked it
Shelves: weirdos, american, crafty
I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the tiny crocheted zombies, ninjas, and robots within these pages; this is the book that first introduced me to amigurumi. In fact, I learned how to crochet just so I could use this book. (YouTube Donna taught me.) Literary bonus points: contains an amigurumi Cthulhu.

These lil guys are very cute, and pretty simple to make even for beginning crocheters. The layout and illustrations in Creepy Cute Crochet are easy to understand, and each pattern is ca
Pookpook
Nov 28, 2010 Pookpook rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Amigurumi fans around the world ^_^
Shelves: crafty
Creepy Cute Crochet is a brilliant pattern book full of seriously cute, Japanese style figures. I picked it up a few months ago and it usually takes me a while before I give a pattern a try but I couldn't wait to make these and managed 3 dolls in a week (which is very good for me!

Although the patterns are simple and well instructed a word of warning to absolute beginners - there isn't a crochet basics section with any stitches. Easily found online though as you only need to know the very basic s
Kiirsi Hellewell
May 10, 2012 Kiirsi Hellewell rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all fans of crochet and amigurumi and cute toys
Super, super cute designs...even the "villains" are adorable!...and my son begs me to make him all of them. But I find the actual patterns a bit strange. Instead of the standard crochet-in-the-round stitch counts of 6, 12, 18, and so on, the numbers are weird, like 13, 15, etc. And the creatures/people are so much bigger than I thought they'd be. I expected something small that could easily fit in a palm/hand, but they're actually pretty big.

Nevertheless, I keep checking this book out of the li
Carol Harlow
Nov 05, 2010 Carol Harlow rated it it was amazing
Creepy Cute Crochet has lots of fun crochet projects~

If you’re a fan of amigurumi, you already know that super-sweet crocheted bunnies and kitties and pandas have taken the indie craft world by storm. Well, the dolls in Creepy Cute Crochet eat your typical amigurumi for breakfast.

This unique craft book contains more than 20 patterns for zombies, ninjas, Vikings, vampires, aliens, robots, and even Death himself. Each easy-to-follow pattern is presented with step-by-step diagrams, hilarious commen
Mortalform
Dec 17, 2012 Mortalform rated it it was amazing
O MUCH LOVE! It's been some time since I've felt I had to buy one of the crafting books I'd checked out at the library, but the little Cthulhu doll and his undead friends are just that awesome!
Some of the patterning was inconsistent (there were not always stitch totals after each row, some times the same things were written differently in different parts of the book) but for inspiration and for actual amigrumumi guys this book was so awesome that I showed it to every person who crossed my path.
Selena
The designs are cute. Sadly, though, the instructions are not always the easiest to understand. I found myself quite often going to my mother, who's good at crochet, asking what it's saying and having her scratch her head a little. The diagrams didn't help much, either.

Not for beginners. There are better cute-stuffed-thing patterns out there for newbies.

EDIT: I tried another pattern. Cthulu (sp?). It was awfully. The stitches hardly matched up. It said I should get x stitches, but when I did the
Jean
Oct 25, 2011 Jean rated it liked it
A friend of mine, who knows I love to crochet, found this at the library and brought it over to show me. Creepy Cute Crochet by Christian Haden has got some of the most adorable creepy critters to make for Halloween. All of the creatures have the same basic pattern to follow for the head and body, and then there are lots of embellishments and accessories to make or add to your creation. My three favorite creatures are the skeleton bride and groom, and the corporate zombie. So, if you have a knac ...more
Rhianna Schoonover
Apr 23, 2012 Rhianna Schoonover rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
Very cool crochet book. Sadly I can't crochet to save my life, though the book does have helpful instructions. My brain just doesn't seem to mesh with crochet. I can say my mother, who is very good at crocheting, loves all the odd little creatures in it and found the patterns & instructions to be very clear. Well worth it for someone who can crochet, or stands a chance of learning it. Good book all around and I love seeing things that aren't blankets and sweaters.
Devil's Playground
Feb 08, 2014 Devil's Playground rated it liked it
Shelves: nf-crochet
Favorite patterns: Queen Vampire -> Skeleton Bride & Groom -> Amazon -> Grim Reaper -> Trojan.

I like this book; it's a fun pattern book. The downside is that the patterns are clunky and not very clear, with the upside being that they're simple patterns to work once you figure out what you're supposed to be doing.

The biggest draw of this book is that it lends inspiration to original projects.
Wallace
Mar 29, 2010 Wallace rated it it was ok
I adore the creatures in this book. I love the versatility of the designs. I don't like the way the instructions are written. The patterns are very confusing, and I wish (selfishly) that they were written in the traditional Amigurumi style with continuous spirals rather than finished rounds. I have made a few of the creatures, but only from looking at the pictures and coming up with my own way of doing it. I would not recommend this book to a beginner.
Ruby Ramone
Oct 21, 2014 Ruby Ramone rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This is a fantastic book for the beginner and seasoned Crochet artist. Very cute and clear, easy to follow instructions. The patterns are very adaptable, so you can change them to make different creatures. The projects take next to no time to complete, so they're good for last minute gifts. Cthulu is my favourite project to make in this book.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in crafts. :)
  • Crobots: 20 Amigurumi Robots to Make
  • Amigurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet
  • Amigurumi!: Super Happy Crochet Cute
  • Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
  • Tiny Yarn Animals: Amigurumi Friends to Make and Enjoy
  • Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs: 144 Circles, Hexagons, Triangles, Squares, and Other Unexpected Shapes
  • Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts: Amigurumi
  • Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead
  • Amigurumi Knits: Patterns for 20 Cute Mini Knits
  • 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet: A Collection of Beautiful Blooms for Embellishing Garments, Accessories, and More
  • Knitting Mochimochi: 20 Super-Cute Strange Designs for Knitted Amigurumi
  • The Crochet Stitch Bible
  • Anticraft: Knitting Beading & Stitching for the Slightly Sinister
  • DomiKNITrix: Whip Your Knitting Into Shape
  • The Cute Book
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Amigurumi
  • 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix and Match
  • Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »