Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways, #5)

Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways #5)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  3,256 ratings  ·  75 reviews
The team's lineup changes forever in the perfect jumping-on point for the series that Wizard said "could be the most original book to focus on teenaged super heroes since Spider-Man debuted all the way back in 1962!" When a dangerous alien invades Los Angeles, the Runaways' own Karolina Dean may be the only hero in the Marvel Universe who can stop him... but at what cost?...more
Published March 29th 2006 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Runaways, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaways, Vol. 5

Matt Richter
Another brilliantly written collection from Brian K. Vaughan. I wasn't expecting them to go "there". But they did! oh yeah!! And after that they met the New Avengers. I'm imagining that these team-up stories are quite difficult to pull off effectively, cos like a new writer is now writing for a number of hugely popular characters which he may not have worked on before... and it makes for a different feel to a normal 'Runaways' story arc. But Vaughan does splendidly on all accounts!
The first arc...more
Fizzgig76
Reprints Runaways (2) #7-12 (October 2005-March 2006). The Runaways learn that they may be losing another member when a Skrull named Xavin arrives with shocking news about why he has come to Earth. The Runaways find themselves on a cross-coast adventure when former ally Cloak comes to the Runaways for help in clearing his name in the beating of Dagger...which leads the Runaways into a head-to-head confrontation with the Avengers.

Written by Brian K. Vaughan and illustrated by Adrian Alphona and T...more
Kate
Aug 12, 2011 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Runaways vol 5 #7-12
Art: Art shift this time the other way around the first two comics look and read and feel like a colored manga the art work there is gorgeous, pretty and you get a feel for the character ages and looks and victor cleans up real nice in manga style. It then changes back to the realistic recess style and it's not only jarring but it throws you for a loop not even a cover page break just boom different art style however that was due to a missing page there was in fact a page bre...more
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Continuing where vol 4 left off, some big changes are in store for our runaways. They have welcomed a new member, Victor, from last volume, and have been approached by Cloak to clear his name. I will admit, the setup is a bit hokey - the kids are asked to find out who who posed as Cloak who attacked Dagger. I mean, really, your best solution is to ask a bunch of kids?

For the first two issues, the artwork was changed from the previous 4 volumes to what I guess is an anime/manga styl...more
Emily
This is the fifth volume of collected Runaways graphic novel stories. The basic premise of Runaways: six kids, mostly teenagers, are thrown together once a year because their parents are all friends and have a yearly meeting. But this year, the kids accidentally witness their parents’ “meeting” and see them killing a girl. It turns out that the six sets of parents make up “The Pride,” a group of super-villains who rule Los Angles and most of the west coast. Disgusted by what their parents are, t...more
Georgia (The Bibliomaniac Book Blog)
more like a 3.5.

Synopsis: When a dangerous alien invades Los Angeles, the Runaways’ own Karolina Dean may be the only hero in the Marvel Universe who can stop him… but at what cost? PLUS: The Runaways embark on a coast-to-coast adventure, guest-starring Cloak and Dagger, and the New Avengers! When Cloak is accused of a crime he didn’t commit by the heroes of New York City, the vigilante is forced to turn to the teenage Runaways for help. This story will take our teens to a place they’ve never b...more
Jeffrey
I like the change in art style. This feels very Manga, which is something you don't see very often in American comics. Unfortunately the artwork went down a hole in the final chapter of the volume, and the artist on staff for that chapter may need some psychiatric therapy with what I saw of the work that was presented. Honestly, why do some artists insist on adding their own "flair" to established characters and simply destroying any credibility and respect for the characters that prior artists...more
Ryan
Mar 31, 2008 Ryan added it
As the title suggests, the bulk of this volume features the Runaways going to New York. Before that happens, though, the team encounters Xavin, a super-Skrull who had been betrothed to Karolina (by her parents) in order to prevent a way between Karolina's people and the Skrulls. This story includes a conclusion to Karolina's infatuation with Nico, as she comes out to the team and reveals her love for her fellow teammate. The whole thing was handled rather nicely, I think.[return]The main story,...more
Summer
I wasn't sure what to give this volume of Runaways - the writing is a 5 (although the Xavin storyline could have been longer), but the art is really starting to irk me, so the whole thing is maybe a 4.5. I really don't like Takeshi Miyazawa's amerimanga style and I don't think it went well with the story, and although I generally like Adrian Alphona's art, the Distended Jaw effect and his insistence on drawing fat people with round, moonlike heads is distracting as hell.

Still, Runaways is the be...more
HeavyReader
When this book finally arrived through interlibrary loan, I went right home and read it real fast in one night. I was a little worried at first, because the art in the first section had all of the girls looking super skinny. Gert, who is supposed to be fat (or at least chubby/plump) was normal thin and Nico and Karolina were scarecrow thin. Yikes! But in the seceond section things are back to normal and I was relieved.

In this volume, one of the girls comes out as "liking girls." Of course, the r...more
Amanda
B
Were the creators worried about sales?

To some degree, this book fails to advance the plot. Basically all that we now have going forward is an interstellar rescue of one of the members. The lurking "big bads" are in teh same place now as they were at the end of the last collection.

But it feels "real" (within the bounds of the rules of the universe) of course and is a good follow-up to what already happened.

Also, it's hard to make a storyline that has more A-Team than this. The writers do a fan...more
Scotty
I was not planning on reading any more in this series, but my daughter brought this book home from the library, so it was handy. I actually enjoyed in much more than the last couple in the series. The plots seemed much more logical to their universe than in the previous books. Enjoyable book.
Christopher Mclean
Still firing on all cylinders here. The team goes through another slight shake up, and we get some fun in New York with the Avengers. This book is still at the top of it's game and have now safely cermented itself right at the top of my favourite comic list.
A
I have heard that, classically, superhero comics were light and sometimes comical, rather than the dark grit they often are today. Not having read many superhero comics, I cannot say one way or another. What I can say, is that this story made me let out a belly laugh or two while it still had some of the darkness that I have to admit, I expect from a superhero comic...even ones aimed at the y/a crowd. One thing I did not like about this one, was how the illustrations keep changing...despite Adri...more
Kaethe
There's a tremendous amount of fun in a series like this: established characters and tropes to play off of, as well as new characters to explore. Because New York is traditionally home to Avengers, a visit there enables our West Coast teens to mock and engage in a completely different-feeling world.

And although we miss any character who is out for a series, there's delight in knowing that sooner or later that story will be filled in.

Natasha and I are having a great time reading these side by sid...more
Hyzenthlay
I think I would've liked this volume more, were I a bigger fan of the other franchises.
Jamie
Dec 01, 2009 Jamie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jamie by: jbro5309@hotmail.com
Shelves: graphic-novel
This Volume was probably my fastest read yet, I loved everything that was going on with the whole New York arc. The appearances of Cap, Iron Man, Spiderman, and Wolverine, were great...I'm not sure if the time span is during the civil war, with all of the Avengers references or not...but I love they way the characters relate to each other and how they relate to adults and the world as they are discovering what it really is. These kids seems to be the ones who really understand what's going on, a...more
Shainye
Que final o________o a saber quien la palmará.
Eric
Aug 01, 2011 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Marvel comics
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm still enjoying this series, but this particular one seemed to be less about the main characters -- one leaves the planet early on -- and more about how many established Marvel superheroes they could cram in one comic. There was Cloak and Dagger (again), Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Luke Cage and Wolverine (there is even a joke made about him showing up in the comic). I hope they get back to the dynamics of the main cast soon, it is more compelling then the famous gues...more
Krystl Louwagie
Story wasn't as good in this one, and the romance stuff is fairy cheesy in these-which is probably appropriate, considering their ages. There wasn't enough of it to be super annoying in this one, just more than some past volumes because the story line of this one allowed for more. It wasn't bad by any means, but didn't pull me in like some of the others. (Kind of fun to see Wolverine, though). But I liked the new kid better in the last volume-he seemed to care free in this one.
Brad
Man, in the Marvel Universe, Los Angeles kind of sucks.

It's a subtle running gag in the series, but I love how only D-List villains and heroes bother showing up in LA. And it gives Vaughan a chance to shine a spotlight on lesser-known characters.

But this time the Runaways go to New York. And they run into the A-listers. Namely, the Avengers.

Still funny. Still fun. Still good. I still dig Runaways.
Marti
Jul 09, 2013 Marti rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen
So basically this story is about a group of kids with various super hero/mutant/alien powers that have teamed up to right the wrongs of their super villain parents. Oh, and they have a pet dinosaur. ;)

What's not to love about smart-ass teens with super powers?! This book has lots of super power fun - and lots of superhero cameos! I never can seem to find volume one of this series though, which is really irritating
Robert Beveridge
Brian K. Vaughan, Runaways: Escape to New York (Marvel, 2006)

The runaways meet up with some old pals after one of them is framed for assault, and have to find out who the real bad guy is, which leads them into the underworld of New York drug rings. Not a bad volume at all, though it feels somewhat disconnected from the rest of the series (and in hindsight is where it started its decline). ***
Jeff Raymond
I think that, if Runaways existed when I was a teenager, I would have become a complete comic book nerd as opposed to logging onto MUDs and spending hours on IRC. While Watchmen and Transmetropolitan helped me gain an appreciation for comic books that I didn't have before, Runaways has essentially turned me into a comic book fan, something I never would have imagined previously. High quality stuff here.
Tom
Oct 30, 2011 Tom rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This was a curious little Marvel superhero book. Follows the exploits of a few runaway children who seem to want to help out the general populous, but at the same time don't trust the adult superheroes. Its has the typical rebellious natured ones along with others built to lead. It was a quick read and kept my interest. This being the first "Runaways" I have read, I look forward to reading more.
Amal El-Mohtar
I really enjoyed this too. I didn't so much register the art change, so hooked was I on the story, but possibly also because the style really suits the subject matter. I never got that dislocation I sometimes feel when a beloved character is drawn significantly differently; in this case, substantial though the difference in style is, it felt very true to the runaways.
Jenny
[Ch. 7-12:]

The art in the beginning of this volume was so funny. I don't know.. it was like a different style than what it originally was.

It was so sad to see Karolina leave. I really liked her.

And it was nice to see Cloak again, but I hope Dagger gets better soon. :)

SPIDERMAN makes an appearance! Oh, I love Peter Parker! :D
Caitlin
In this volume, the Runaways have to help clear the name of Cloak and Dagger, who they ran into in a previous issue. I really don't like the new Manga-inspired artwork so I'm hoping that doesn't stick around. The storyline was interesting but not my favorite so just an okay volume in an otherwise good series.
Jessica
Jul 28, 2010 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jessica by: Rick
Like most of I've read so far, I love this series and I think it's a fun read. However, was totally thrown off in this volume by the guest artist in the first two issues. Looked like straight anime, and I was questioning which characters were which - not cool. Couldn't wait to finish those parts.
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids (Runaways, #8)
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong (Runaways, #9)
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling (Runaways, #11)
  • Young Avengers, Vol. 2: Family Matters (Young Avengers, #2)
  • Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways
  • Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers
  • Young Avengers Presents (Young Avengers Presents)
  • Dark Reign: Young Avengers
  • Powers, Vol. 4: Supergroup
  • X-Factor: The Longest Night
  • Avengers Academy, Vol 2: Will We Use This in the Real World?
  • Morning Glories, Vol. 3: P.E.
  • Invincible, Vol. 4: Head of the Class
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo...more
More about Brian K. Vaughan...
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man, #1) Saga, Volume 1 Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2) Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth (Y: The Last Man, #5) Saga #1