Start by marking “The Brooklyn Novels: Summer in Williamsburg, Homage to Blenholt, Low Company” as Want to Read:
The Brooklyn Novels: Summer in Williamsburg, Homage to Blenholt, Low Company

The Brooklyn Novels: Summer in Williamsburg, Homage to Blenholt, Low Company

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  9 reviews
These three novels of the 1930s constitute an American classic. In their own way, they do for the Jewish mmigrants of Brooklyn what Studs Lonigan did for the Irish of Chicago. So it is no surprise that, upon their first publication, Lonigan's creator welcomed them in a review for The Nation, praising Fuchs's keen eye, excellent ear for dialogue, and quick perception of the ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Black Sparrow Press

To ask other readers questions about The Brooklyn Novels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brooklyn Novels

David R.  Godine
"Fuchs is a master. He had Pasternak's wonder at youth's encounter with the wider world, and Chekhov's nose for thwarted desire, and Turgenev's generosity to the barbarians of the new order."
— Boris Fishman, The New Republic

"These novels capture, better than any of the better-known works of the time, the eerie tenor of the Great Depression, the sense of living without a past or any hope for the future. Fuchs' ability to replicate the quixotic energy of life on the streets of New York in this age
Marceline
This collection consists of three separate novels - Summer in Williamsburg, Homage to Blenholt and Low Company.

Summer in Williamsburg portrays an assortment of characters living in a Jewish tenement during the 30s. It captures how mean existence was for that time period and economic class, as well as how much more racially divided the country was. It wasn't just about blacks on whites, but also about Jews vs. Italians vs. Poles vs. Irish.
Fuchs evokes very well images of people crowded in tenemen
Dusty
Sep 23, 2007 Dusty rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jews
this book is a must read for east coast jews. it has one novel called "low company," which i liked the best out of the three brooklyn novels. it takes place in brighton beach. the author has no heroes and no "bad guys," everyone is just real in their faults and foibles. i do wish his women characters were a little less naggy and more strong. but his stuff is dated. you can tell by the random racism that crops up. still the book does a good job of capturing the regular lives of regular jews, the ...more
Alex
I don't know much about these.
Peter Weissman
Straightforward, evocative reading. In retrospect, it surprised me how unknown the writer was, in relation to Henry Roth of Call It Sleep, for instance, which also deals with immigrant Jews and their offspring in America. I'm of that provenance, and I learned a few things I hadn't known.
k
I wrote about this on my blog, check there if you care. Best one out of the three novels contained herein: I actually have no clue, they are like one big thing. Maybe the middle one, Homage to Blenholt.
David Press
This was introduced to me in my Writing Brooklyn class last semester and I am so happy it was. A captivating collection about Brooklyn that many--except hipsters probably--may have never heard of.
Karen
Karen is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2015
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Ann Newberg
Ann Newberg marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Beri
Beri marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Brandon Cahall
Brandon Cahall marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Cherchez
Cherchez marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Christine Woods
Christine Woods marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Ray
Ray marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Melvin
Melvin marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Misha
Misha marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Louis Postel
Louis Postel marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Chrissy Cowan
Chrissy Cowan marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Joshua Stephens
Joshua Stephens is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
Hrm
Hrm marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Lars
Lars marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Kentaro Okuda
Kentaro Okuda marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Golden West: Hollywood Stories Summer In Williamsburg Toy Giants Conserving Israel's Holy Days in Type and Prophecy