Start by marking “The Tutor” as Want to Read:
The Tutor

The Tutor

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  401 ratings  ·  50 reviews
The master of psychological suspense returns with an ingenious tale of a charming young man with sinister intentions who targets an unsuspecting family.
Published July 29th 2003 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Tutor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tutor

A Perfect Crime by Peter AbrahamsRevolution #9 by Peter AbrahamsPressure Drop by Peter AbrahamsLights Out by Peter AbrahamsThe Coyaba Chronicles by Peter  Abrahams
Best of Peter Abrahams
10th out of 10 books — 1 voter
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
Juvenile Narrators in Books for Grown-Ups
111th out of 135 books — 81 voters

More lists with this book...

Mire Ae
I don't know why I picked this book up in the first place.
I still remember how the book begins and it does not seem to be the type of genre I was normally interested in. Somehow the book drew me in and it did not take longer than a chapter or two before I was immersed in this novel.

The story was mostly written in perspective of a 11 year-old girl, Ruby. She was such a lovable character and without her narration I would of rated this book about 3 stars. 3 because Peter Abrahams seem to have a w...more
Monique
Oh yeah off my massive Game of Thrones series and back in the library like I left something choosing random titles to fit my reading fancy and stumbled upon this one, I cant lie the two word title and the foreshadowing of evil and manipulation was too strong to resist and I picked this one up, but yawn it was not what I expected, have read something like it and better and really didn't care for it like I should (after a five star read books have a lot to live up to in my mind LOL) and this one w...more
Πάνος Τουρλής
Ένας άγνωστος άντρας μπαίνει στη ζωή μιας οικογένειας για να παραδώσει ιδιαίτερα μαθήματα στον γιο για τις εξετάσεις στο SAT. Ο πατέρας παίζει στο χρηματιστήριο, η μητέρα κρατάει ένα μυστικό, ο γιος μπλέκει με ναρκωτικά κι η κόρη μαθαίνει τοξοβολία και διαβάζει μανιωδώς Σέρλοκ Χολμς. Μήπως ομως ο καθηγητής ζητάει κάτι άλλο από αυτήν την οικογένεια;

Στην αρχή το έργο ξεκινάει χαλαρά. Δυστυχώς δε μας περιγράφει το background του καθηγητη, μας αφήνει με την απορία. Κι όταν ο καθηγητής μπαίνει στη ζω...more
Linda
My first mistake was thinking that since Peter Abrahams, a favorite young adult writer, wrote this book that it must be a young adult novel. It was anything but. It was a very dark story. I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked to and only kept reading it because of who wrote it. And okay, yes, I needed to see what happened to this poor trusting innocent family. And the other thing is that I love stories with smart little girls in it. In this case, the 11 year-old daughter, Ruby, who lov...more
Gina
Was partly entertaining, highly creepy, somewhat inexplicable, but the little girl! The little girl is the stupidest and the smartest character while also the most boring and the most interesting somehow. Plus she loves Sherlock Holmes so she's awesome.
Joseph Finder
Mom and Dad hire an SAT tutor for their slacker son. Turns out he’s the tutor from hell. Abrahams is one of the best writers around.
Gossymotto
If you have read my previous reviews on Peter Abrahams your probably wondering why I ever bothered reading another one of his books. Well, I'll tell you this, I'm glad I did. The Tutor was a very interesting novel. I enjoyed all of the characters in it and found them to be believable. The Tutor himself, is my favorite, but the little girl, Ruby is a very close second.

The story is about a typical family with a typical teenage son. They want him to get into the best university possible but he do...more
Suzyn
Peter Abrahams, why do you do this to me?
This book is so good, and yet so flawed. First off, it is the first Peter Abrahams book I've ever read that had no particular surprise in the ending (yes, that was in itself a surprise). I read a good deal and am somewhat hard to surprise, but still, one of the things I really liked about Abrahams was that he was able to pull the rug out from under me at least once a book and he didn't do it here.
Secondly, his plots are really unbelievable. This has alw...more
Natasha Holcomb
I was interested in this book and was thoroughly enjoying it until it ended, and quite abruptly. The development of the ending left much to be desired. I think Abrahams could have easily written another hundred pages and given this book the ending it deserved. Though the reader was given explanation and closure all tied up with a nice, neat little bow, I felt the ending could have been so much better. Would've had a higher rating, but the ending killed it for me:/
Red
This is a very dark, and disturbing story. I will say it's well written, very suspenseful, although I found the post resolution wrap up to be a bit too much deus ex machina.

I decided to read The Tutor because it sounded very much like a precursor to Abrahams' Echo Falls series, which I love. And I suppose it is, but... the Echo Falls series is YA and this novel is most assuredly not. This family is flawed, almost beyond redemption, while the Echo Falls family is flawed but with positive qualitie...more
Clare
After a rather frenetic beginning where the story bounced between characters like the little metal spheres in a pinball machine, it eventually settled down into a good suspense story. The tale centers around one family and the tutor they hire to help their son bring up his SAT scores. Scott, the father, makes a good living, but would like to provide his family with even more. Linda, the mother, is focused on her career. Brandon, their son, is no longer doing well in school and is hanging out wit...more
Jess Gregorius
Kept me wanting to read. The ending wasn't that climatic but at least it was wrapped up. The beginning and throughout, however, will leave you turning pages hastily. Great for anyone who likes a good thriller without gory details.
Luciano
This is one of those novels that you have difficulty figuring wout what genre it is. At times it's funny and then suddenly tragic. It reads like a Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys mystery and then morphs into a "serious novel." This lack of consisstency is what throws it off.

The beginning and ending were excellent, but floundered a lot in the middle due to the fact that the author seemed to be having difficulty figuring out what kind of novel he should be writing.

This could have been a five star novel, bu...more
Tim H. McEnroe
I loved it. Abrahams has a knack for getting inside each characters' head and even writing in a different style for each one's POV. It's subtle, but it's there. I'm also a big fan with how he shows us the characters through their actions instead of through his descriptions of them.

A great read til the very end.

Amy Nielsen (is going cerebral for 2014)
Anymore if a book can keep me looking forward to reading more then it ranks pretty high. This book kept me coming back. I'm not sure about the narrator who made Julian seen extremely unlikely to be believable in the role as new found family friend due to his cryptic and rather short answers to friendly dialogue. But you can buy into the family bringing Julian into the fold, so to speak, then the rest of the plot goes along
pretty well.
Clackamas
I picked this up because I've been reading too much of one genre lately, I had a coupon, and this was on the "staff picks" shelf at my local paperback store. What a waste of time. Predictability is not a good quality for a thriller. Am I sorry I wasted the time? Yes. Am I glad it was free? Also yes. Did I hate it? No. Will I read anything else by this author? Also no. 1.5 stars.
Catherine
I found this book at a charity shop and thought it looked interesting. I started reading it the night I got it and I couldn't get into it. I am now 9 chapters in and I'm still not into it I'm very disappointed that I can't get into this book because I love the prologue of this book but I can't read any more. So I'm going to take it to a charity shop in the morning
Saturday
This was one of the creepiest books I have ever read, but it was so addicting! I basically sat down with it and didn't move until I was done with it. Thw way it was written kept you ahead of the family enough so you were always worried for them, and the villian, Julian, besides being creepy/scary actually wasn't that horrible in a wierd twisted way.
Lisa
This novel is astounding. The author's talent relies particularly in the portrayel of not only his characters, but the relationships between them. The plot was suspenseful and kept me turning the pages-- the twists were revealed towards the end, not too soon! Although this book was a delight, something seemed a little off. I'm not sure what, though.
Robyn
If this hadn't been a Peter Abrahams book, I most likely wouldn't have finished it. It took WAY too long to get going. The villain was kind of creepy, but sort of for no reason. The family, except for Ruby, was not very likeable. I almost didn't care this psycho was after them. It really shouldn't even be allowed to call itself a Peter Abrahams book.
Kahliesha
I finished this book last night. The ending was very surprising and always kept me on my edge of my seat. I didn't really expect this book to be good, because my Grandmother recommended me to read this book. I am very glad she told me to read it because it was "my taste".
Beverly Harrison Campbell
Best Abrahams book so far. Page turning story. Interesting villain and even more interesting protagonist. There were a few pages of suspended disbelief. I just went with it, because it was all so much fun! I guess I'll try another Abrahams book after all.
Dawn
Nov 20, 2008 Dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good suspense novel.
Recommended to Dawn by: Caught my eye in the bookstore.
This books took me awhile to get into, but it ended up being pretty suspenseful. Julian was very creepy. I kept wondering what he was going to do to the family. The young daughter seemed to be the only one with any brains in the family.
Paul Marshall
You just know something's going to happen and Abrahams keeps you tightly tethered to the thick plot until it finally snaps in a nail biting conclusion. The picture of John Lennon kept coming to mind as the face of the tutor.
Marianne
Creepy but intriguing. Makes you think about people who look like they are " all that" on the outside but maybe a psychopath underneath it all.
I liked the little girl--good character development.
Joe O'c
Very Good; family hires a tutor for their high school son, and the youngest in the family - a girl fascinated by Sherlock Holmes - begins to tie increasingly troublesome events to him.
PokeyPuppy
Abrahams' writing is very understated, which I like. And although the villian is not at all likeable as a person, he is understandable and interesting.
Elizabeth
I vaguely remember reading this book. I believe it was good but I can't remember why. I think it was pretty suspenseful in some parts but I'm not sure.
Amber Kolb
I really liked this book. It sucked me in right from the beginning and I wanted to keep reading to see what happened next.
Michele
This book drew me in almost immediately, possibly by James Daniels' voice. Loved nearly everything about this book.
  • Furnace
  • Hunted Past Reason
  • The Church Of Dead Girls
  • Right to Life (Cemetery Dance Novella Series, #4)
  • The Intruder
  • Waiting
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • A Firing Offense
  • Mercy
  • The Eden Legacy (Daniel Knox, #4)
  • Zwaar Verliefd!
  • The Bell Ringers
  • Dirty White Boys
  • Survivor
  • Big If
  • The Speed Queen
  • Remembering Sarah
  • Closer Than Blood

Peter Abrahams is the author of numerous novels, including End of Story, Oblivion, and Lights Out, which was nominated for an Edgar best novel award. He also writes the best-selling Echo Falls series for younger readers. He lives on Cape Cod.

Peter Abrahams is also writing under the pseudonym Spencer Quinn (Chet...more
More about Peter Abrahams...
Down the Rabbit Hole (Echo Falls, #1) Behind the Curtain (Echo Falls, #2) Reality Check Into the Dark (Echo Falls, #3) 666: The Number of the Beast