Start by marking “The Tutor” as Want to Read:
The Tutor

The Tutor

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  524 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
The master of psychological suspense returns with an ingenious tale of a charming young man with sinister intentions who targets an unsuspecting family.
Published July 29th 2003 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Tutor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tutor

Emily Crow
Oct 28, 2015 Emily Crow rated it really liked it
A while back (late 1980s/early 1990s) there was a spate of suspense movies I think of as "cuckoo in the nest" stories. The cuckoo, as most people know, is notorious for laying its eggs in the nests of unsuspecting birds, so that its huge, demanding chick crowds out the rightful fledglings and steals all their food and attention. In a similar fashion, these films -- Single White Female, The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, The Temp, Pacific Heights, etc. -- feature a hapless person or family who lets ...more
Monique
Sep 16, 2014 Monique rated it it was ok
Oh yeah off my massive Game of Thrones series and back in the library like I left something choosing random titles to fit my reading fancy and stumbled upon this one, I cant lie the two word title and the foreshadowing of evil and manipulation was too strong to resist and I picked this one up, but yawn it was not what I expected, have read something like it and better and really didn't care for it like I should (after a five star read books have a lot to live up to in my mind LOL) and this one w ...more
Mire Ae
May 06, 2012 Mire Ae rated it it was amazing
I don't know why I picked this book up in the first place.
I still remember how the book begins and it does not seem to be the type of genre I was normally interested in. Somehow the book drew me in and it did not take longer than a chapter or two before I was immersed in this novel.

The story was mostly written in perspective of a 11 year-old girl, Ruby. She was such a lovable character and without her narration I would of rated this book about 3 stars. 3 because Peter Abrahams seem to have a w
Πάνος Τουρλής
Jul 18, 2014 Πάνος Τουρλής rated it really liked it
Ένας άγνωστος άντρας μπαίνει στη ζωή μιας οικογένειας για να παραδώσει ιδιαίτερα μαθήματα στον γιο για τις εξετάσεις στο SAT. Ο πατέρας παίζει στο χρηματιστήριο, η μητέρα κρατάει ένα μυστικό, ο γιος μπλέκει με ναρκωτικά κι η κόρη μαθαίνει τοξοβολία και διαβάζει μανιωδώς Σέρλοκ Χολμς. Μήπως ομως ο καθηγητής ζητάει κάτι άλλο από αυτήν την οικογένεια;

Στην αρχή το έργο ξεκινάει χαλαρά. Δυστυχώς δε μας περιγράφει το background του καθηγητη, μας αφήνει με την απορία. Κι όταν ο καθηγητής μπαίνει στη ζω
Natasha Holcomb
Sep 29, 2014 Natasha Holcomb rated it it was ok
I was interested in this book and was thoroughly enjoying it until it ended, and quite abruptly. The development of the ending left much to be desired. I think Abrahams could have easily written another hundred pages and given this book the ending it deserved. Though the reader was given explanation and closure all tied up with a nice, neat little bow, I felt the ending could have been so much better. Would've had a higher rating, but the ending killed it for me:/
Amy Nielsen
Anymore if a book can keep me looking forward to reading more then it ranks pretty high. This book kept me coming back. I'm not sure about the narrator who made Julian seen extremely unlikely to be believable in the role as new found family friend due to his cryptic and rather short answers to friendly dialogue. But you can buy into the family bringing Julian into the fold, so to speak, then the rest of the plot goes along
pretty well.
Linda
Jun 26, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
My first mistake was thinking that since Peter Abrahams, a favorite young adult writer, wrote this book that it must be a young adult novel. It was anything but. It was a very dark story. I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked to and only kept reading it because of who wrote it. And okay, yes, I needed to see what happened to this poor trusting innocent family. And the other thing is that I love stories with smart little girls in it. In this case, the 11 year-old daughter, Ruby, who lov ...more
Gina
Apr 10, 2008 Gina rated it liked it
Shelves: shivery, wrong
Was partly entertaining, highly creepy, somewhat inexplicable, but the little girl! The little girl is the stupidest and the smartest character while also the most boring and the most interesting somehow. Plus she loves Sherlock Holmes so she's awesome.
Joseph Finder
May 27, 2011 Joseph Finder rated it it was amazing
Mom and Dad hire an SAT tutor for their slacker son. Turns out he’s the tutor from hell. Abrahams is one of the best writers around.
Gossymotto
Jul 03, 2009 Gossymotto rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
If you have read my previous reviews on Peter Abrahams your probably wondering why I ever bothered reading another one of his books. Well, I'll tell you this, I'm glad I did. The Tutor was a very interesting novel. I enjoyed all of the characters in it and found them to be believable. The Tutor himself, is my favorite, but the little girl, Ruby is a very close second.

The story is about a typical family with a typical teenage son. They want him to get into the best university possible but he do
Suzyn
Nov 30, 2011 Suzyn rated it really liked it
Peter Abrahams, why do you do this to me?
This book is so good, and yet so flawed. First off, it is the first Peter Abrahams book I've ever read that had no particular surprise in the ending (yes, that was in itself a surprise). I read a good deal and am somewhat hard to surprise, but still, one of the things I really liked about Abrahams was that he was able to pull the rug out from under me at least once a book and he didn't do it here.
Secondly, his plots are really unbelievable. This has alw
Elizabeth
I literally just put this book down. I decided to give it three stars because i didn't really like any character they were all kind of annoying and i didn't feel like any of them was particularly focused on. You got the essence of their character and really no more. I did think the book had a good plot and was definitely creepy. For the last 100 pages i couldn't put it down i had to know the end result. Definitely a light read and a good yet predictable thriller. I'd like to read another Abraham ...more
Calina Benassa
Feb 26, 2016 Calina Benassa rated it it was amazing
I checked out three books at the library, this one I was least excited to read. However, the slow and ensnaring spiral into chaos was perfectly done, and it was as if I couldn't look away from a murder. The unique personalities of each family member and character were astounding, and the intelligence of young Ruby made the story come to life. With an amazing climax and twists you don't see coming, I would most highly recommend this book.
Lisa
Sep 19, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
Entertaining but a little, ok a lot, heavy-handed and obvious with symbolism. Strawberry jam anyone, or does that represent blood and guts and death? There were more appearances of that damn jam than there was actual carnage in this murder-suspense thriller. I thought the ending was completely predictable because the foreshadowing was so obvious. If you like to read books that let you figure out the ending, give it a go.
Red
Apr 03, 2010 Red rated it did not like it
This is a very dark, and disturbing story. I will say it's well written, very suspenseful, although I found the post resolution wrap up to be a bit too much deus ex machina.

I decided to read The Tutor because it sounded very much like a precursor to Abrahams' Echo Falls series, which I love. And I suppose it is, but... the Echo Falls series is YA and this novel is most assuredly not. This family is flawed, almost beyond redemption, while the Echo Falls family is flawed but with positive qualitie
Clare
May 04, 2011 Clare rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
After a rather frenetic beginning where the story bounced between characters like the little metal spheres in a pinball machine, it eventually settled down into a good suspense story. The tale centers around one family and the tutor they hire to help their son bring up his SAT scores. Scott, the father, makes a good living, but would like to provide his family with even more. Linda, the mother, is focused on her career. Brandon, their son, is no longer doing well in school and is hanging out wit ...more
A-n-n-e
May 22, 2015 A-n-n-e rated it liked it
Enjoyed the story line and characters. I felt the villain was never fleshed out to the extent he should have been. The mystery behind is life is too elusive to grasp. Then, in a few pages at the end, the author tries (unsatisfactorily) to sum him up. Far too abrupt a rap up.
Jeannette
Feb 02, 2016 Jeannette rated it it was amazing
I finished this a week ago and I'm still not quite over it. Creeps into your head and heart--wrings them tight--finally relaxes. And you're up the rest of the night. Abrahams is brilliant at human nature, brilliant at suspense.
Jen
May 06, 2015 Jen rated it really liked it
Some of the best suspense I've read this year. Ruby is one of the coolest heroines I've seen in quite a while. She deserves another book. I would definitely pick up a novel by Peter Abrams again-- so creepy and so good.
Jessica
Oct 12, 2014 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, thrillers
This book just didn't do it for me. It had all the elements - sociopath, too-clever kid, manipulation, murder, etc - but the story never felt like the pieces were in the right place.
Jess Gregorius
May 28, 2014 Jess Gregorius rated it really liked it
Kept me wanting to read. The ending wasn't that climatic but at least it was wrapped up. The beginning and throughout, however, will leave you turning pages hastily. Great for anyone who likes a good thriller without gory details.
Luciano
Jan 26, 2013 Luciano rated it really liked it
This is one of those novels that you have difficulty figuring wout what genre it is. At times it's funny and then suddenly tragic. It reads like a Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys mystery and then morphs into a "serious novel." This lack of consisstency is what throws it off.

The beginning and ending were excellent, but floundered a lot in the middle due to the fact that the author seemed to be having difficulty figuring out what kind of novel he should be writing.

This could have been a five star novel, bu
Tim H. McEnroe
Aug 27, 2014 Tim H. McEnroe rated it it was amazing
I loved it. Abrahams has a knack for getting inside each characters' head and even writing in a different style for each one's POV. It's subtle, but it's there. I'm also a big fan with how he shows us the characters through their actions instead of through his descriptions of them.

A great read til the very end.

Becky
Jan 13, 2015 Becky rated it did not like it
Desperately needs editing. And a new author.
Shawn Farrell
it had moments.
Kim
Mar 26, 2015 Kim rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2015
So cliche and predictable. . . sorry I wasted my time.
Marjon
Sep 23, 2015 Marjon rated it really liked it
Could not put it down!
Lacey
Aug 25, 2015 Lacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book on Audio CD. I really liked this story. The ending was sudden and lacked all of the interesting detail the rest of the book had. I would recommend.
  • Family Values
  • Men in Black
  • The Devil's Own Work
  • Joe Hill
  • The Dick Gibson Show

Peter Abrahams is the author of numerous novels, including End of Story, Oblivion, and Lights Out, which was nominated for an Edgar best novel award. He also writes the best-selling Echo Falls series for younger readers. He lives on Cape Cod.

Peter Abrahams is also writing under the pseudonym Spencer Quinn (Chet
More about Peter Abrahams...