サンドマン 夢の狩人-ドリ-ムハンタ-- (Sandman: Dream Hunters)

サンドマン 夢の狩人-ドリ-ムハンタ-- (The Sandman #11)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  11,721 ratings  ·  375 reviews
Sandman fans should feel lucky that master fantasy writer Neil Gaiman discovered the mythical world of Japanese fables while researching his translation of Hayao Miyazaki's film Princess Mononoke. At the same time, while preparing for the Sandman 10th anniversary, he met Yoshitaka Amano, his artist for the 11th Sandman book. Amano is the famed designer of the Final Fantasy...more
138 pages
Published (first published 1999)

Brooke
Gaiman + Amano is a pairing that's like a dream come true, pun intended. Gaiman blends his Sandman characters with a Japanese fable and Amano, the artist and character designer behind many Final Fantasy games illustrates. It's beautiful, and while some video game fans complain that Amano is a one-trick pony, I think that having more of his signature style can only be a good thing.
Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog)
This is not an adaptation of a single fairy tale as purported, though elements of the Japanese mythic tradition remain strong if not always exactly perfected. In particular, Gaiman captures the elusive spirit of the fox (or 'kitsune', which are as mysterious and versatile as they are pervasive in Japanese myth) exceedingly well, weaving about it a tale of fear against contentment and love against sacrifice morphed (forgive the pun) to fit seamlessly with the established Sandman canon.

Yoshitaka A...more
Fabian
In one word: Beautiful.
This book brings together all the fantasy of The Sandman with the ancient magic of a japanese legend. If you read it long enough, you might even feel that you are reading some ancient scroll, with real ancient japanese drawings.
While Gaiman's contribution was charming (as always), Yoshitaka Amano's art was heart stoppingly exquisite. Words will not suffice.
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Original review posted at Layers of Thought in a graphic novel trio review.

An awarding winning novella, that has a dark and lovely rendition of a number of combined ancient fables. It’s gorgeously illustrated and celebrates Japanese mythology.

About: A young Buddhist monk who is at peace with his life is in charge of a small temple set in some beautiful mountains in Japan. While attending to his his daily rituals and household maintenance he is emotionally accosted by two animals/spirits who want...more
D.M.
While Dream Hunters is an enjoyable read, it does end up feeling a bit like what it was: a project cobbled together to capitalise on the 10th anniversary of Sandman's first issue, as well as to bring together two masters of their form in Amano and Gaiman.
The story goes (according to Gaiman's afterword), that Yoshitaka Amano did a picture for the Sandman anniversary and Gaiman liked it. When Gaiman was approached to write an anniversary story he thought maybe they should collaborate on a story he...more
Sofia
Aug 19, 2010 Sofia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Posted on my book blog.

Background: I am a big fan of Neil Gaiman and his Sandman series. I came across the more recent, graphic novel retelling of this book first, and while it appealed to me, it was nothing compared to what I experienced when I looked at the original version. The cover is absolutely beautiful, golden and luminous without being kitschy.

Review: It all begins with a wager between a badger and a fox. In a Japanese mountainside, there was a little temple, hardly visited by anyone an...more
Ross
Yes, it's a Sandman story by Neil Gaiman that is heavily illustrated, and it's NOT a comic book. By the same token, the adult situations depicted in Gaiman's novella mean it is not intended for the young adult market, either. It also represents the first full-length prose story that I've read in several months, though I've also been reading epic poetry.

The writing is excellent, as fans of "Sandman" and "Coraline" already know. And though there are descriptions that go beyond what I'm normally us...more
Ray
Dec 16, 2007 Ray rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: graphic_novels
The Dream Hunters is one long story, very strongly grounded in a few old Japanese stories that Neil Gaiman stumbled upon, specifically 'The Fox, The Monk, and The Mikado of All Night's Dreaming'. Mr. Gaiman found so many similarities here that he was inspired to retell this for a 10th anniversary celebration of the Sandman. Just a few bits of tweaking were needed (one should read the afterword, it's fascinating).

They story itself is well told, Mr. Gaiman manages to not only capture the Sandman o...more
Stacey
Beautiful japanese style fairy story, with gorgeous and evocative illustrations. The story is written entirely by Gaiman, but with a partially tongue-in-cheek narrative that leads the reader to believe it's an adaptation of an ancient story.

Well, you could have fooled me. I have a fascination with Japanese culture, (admittedly though, no particular breadth of knowledge about it,) and love Yoshitaka Amano's sweeping, but pencil-delicate fantastical art. This story marries the best of storytellin...more
Dexter
One of the finest by the pen of master fabulist Neil Gaiman, this time, set in a bygone Japan evocative of the Heian period. In a novella format with profuse and lush illustrations by the famed Yoshitaka Amano, this is as much Amano's book as it is Gaiman's. There has been some controversy as to the story--is it original to Neil Gaiman, or did he revise it from various sources on Japanese fairy tales? Whatever the case is, the story of the kitsune and the monk is a magical, gripping love story a...more
Nikki
It's a little inaccurate to tag this as a graphic novel, as it's actually more of a novella with illustrations. The illustrations are gorgeous -- but then, I expected that, since it's illustrated by Yoshitaka Amano (who did a lot of designs for the Final Fantasy game series).

It's a simple little story, based on a Japanese myth. The writing feels very much like a fairy tale, which is nice; Gaiman is good at adapting his writing. It's interesting to see how easily Dream and his realm are woven int...more
Jeanette (jema)
It would be unfair to finish this one in one sitting even if it is rather short. Better to read before you go to bed and let this fairy-tale and these images form the portal into your own dreams.

This is a story of a Buddhist monk and a fox and the dream they dream together. Parts of it reminded me of old Swedish folk-tales, of animals masked as humans, of ruins turned to castles and mice and spiders into a feast.

The art is stunning and together with the words it paints a world full of magic and...more
Nick Enlowe
What could have been left as a simple fairy tale evolves into a tragic, uplifting, and always hauting story, an intricate tale which revolves around three characters and the King of Dreams himself. Gaiman deftly weaves it all together like a waltz.

At 126 pages, half of which are beautiful renderings by artist Yoshitaka Amano of Final Fantasy fame, this can easily be read in one sitting.

The atmosphere should be unmistakable to fans familiar to Gaiman's long run of Sandman comics, and I believe th...more
Morgan Haro
I hadn't read anything by Neil Gaiman before, let alone have a story be supported with artwork from Yoshitaka Amano. As a Final Fantasy fan, I had always appreciated Amano's art style, but it was always in service to things like character designs and logos. Not neccessarily supporting the story telling angle.

That said, after reading this book, I'm an immediate Neil Gaiman fan and want to read more of his work. The way each chapter and page was set up to continually draw me in was only amplified...more
David
A retelling of a Japanese fairy tale, with Gaiman's Sandman characters grafted onto certain roles. This is not a comic book but an illustrated novella. It's a decent story, though it isn't up to the caliber of his best Sandman stories. What distinguishes this book most is the lovely multi-page spreads of Yoshitaka Amano's artwork. Worth having if you are a Sandman or Amano fan.
Emily
Cool artwork in this one, especially the huge spread of the "King of All Night's Dreaming". The Neil Gaiman/Yoshitaka Amano collaboration really worked for a Sandmanesque retelling of this Japanese folktale. I recommend reading the Afterward on the last page-Gaiman's story of how this book came about.
Melanti
There's two vastly different versions of this book. This one is a heavily illustrated prose novella. There is a separate edition illustrated by P. Craig Russel that is a graphic novel.

Amano's illustrations are gorgeous and add a lot to the story. Gaiman's prose is as wonderful as ever.
Meltha
The artwork in this is amazingly beautiful, and the story, while only tangentially related to the Sandman universe, felt like an old folktale even though it wasn't. Also loved the cameo by Kane and Abel.
Hollis
A brilliant combination of art and letters. Amano's illustrations were wonderful and Gaiman's writing is excellent as always. Highly recommended.
Sara
My, is so beautiful to see Morpheus again.
This is such an amazing story, about love, and dreams, and sacrifice. Is told in such a calm, dreamlike fashion, that works wonderfully with Amano watercolours. The story snarls you, and doesn't let go, it drags you to dreams with the monk and the fox.
I'm a sucker for stories about foxes, crows, and dreams. This one is perfect.

If anything I could complain about is Amano's watercolours. They work in perfect armony with the story, but I don't particularl...more
Amber
This book is absolutely, amazingly gorgeous. And I just love how much traditional Japanese (translated) phrasing Gaiman used!
Nicole
In comic/gn format, but really just a beautifully illustrated story that's purportedly adapted from Japanese folklore. When I did a bit more research, it turns out that it's actually an original tale by Gaiman, but there are enough elements taken from the Japanese that the "folklore" label still stands. At least for now. I don't know enough about Japanese folklore to be certain.

The love story is lovely, although nothing groundbreaking. Nice use of the Three Witches/Weird Sisters (taken from Mac...more
PurplyCookie
"Nothing is done entirely for nothing. Nothing is wasted. You are older, and you have made decisions, and you are not the fox you were yesterday. Take what you have learned, and move on."

"The Sandman: The Dream Hunters" is a novella by Gaiman and illustrated by Yoshitaka Amano of "Final Fantasy" fame. The story is tangential to the "The Sandman" comic book series, and can be read without prior knowledge of the main sequence. Portraying Dream in this Eastern milieu just so vividly points up again...more
Federiken Masters
Sep 19, 2010 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Soñadores y despertadores.
Recommended to Federiken by: Val
Bella historia complementaria del personalísimo Universo Sandman. Un relato de amor blanco, frío y diáfano como los copos de nieve que visten de pureza la punta del Monte Hiei. En sus notas finales, Gaiman dice que basó la historia en un viejo relato japonés. Estudios posteriores revelaron que no hubo tal relato y todo salió de la mente del inglés. Yo elijo creer que la leyenda japonesa es de alún modo, real; y que Gaiman logró con maestría reflejarla en su propio universo, y que se divirtió vie...more
Robert Beveridge
Neil Gaiman, Sandman: The Dream Hunters (Vertigo, 1999)

The Sandman, one of the most influential comic series in recent history, ended; however, Morpheus and his kin survived. The Sandman had become something far greater than simply the sum of its parts, and new tales have cropped up sporadically ever since. In this case, Gaiman paired up with illustrator Yoshitaka Amano for a book that is not a graphic novel, but instead a lavishly illustrated short story/novella, a retelling of a Japanese fairy...more
Angela Carter's use of vulpine, or fox-like, imagery in The Magic Toyshop inspired me to do some extensive googling one night, and as a result I became really interested in the role of foxes in folklore. I love the idea that people all over the world have been inspired by such interesting animals, and that, despite the differences between their Western (Mr. Fox the Bluebeard figure, often the villain in beast fables) and Eastern (enchanted animals that can appear as beautiful women, bring luck/m...more
David
I enjoyed this story as I enjoy almost all of Neil Gaiman's stories. Unfortunately, this is a Sandman story, albeit a side one, and I was expecting to enjoy it as I enjoyed the previous Sandman stories. Sandman stories aren't just Neil Gaiman stories. They are, somehow, more than that. This is not a Sandman story.

As good of a storyteller as Gaiman is, he has never reached the heights he achieved with The Sandman, and this, I believe, is because he is an even better collaborator than he is a sto...more
Marsha
Neil Gaiman’s story is set in the Sandman universe with Morpheus making his appearance as the King of All-Night’s Dreaming. However, the graphic novel works very well as a stand-alone piece so even if you’ve never read any of his Sandman novels it doesn’t detract from this tale’s haunting beauty. So convincing is this tale in its Old World flavor that many people erroneously thought that Gaiman had unearthed an old Chinese tale and re-worked it to fit in his Sandman tales and vainly sought to fi...more
Fizzgig76
A fox falls in love with a monk and agrees to sacrifice her life to protect him from demons sent by a noble. The fox meets with the King of All Night's Dreaming and learns that she can save the monk from his dreams, but the monk finds he cannot let her go through with the sacrifice.

The Sandman: The Dream Hunters is an illustrated novella by the Sandman's creator Neil Gaiman. It was released in 1999 and had painted illustrations by Yoshitaka Amano. The book was well received and garnered the 1999...more
Endicott Mythic F...: The Sandman: The Dream Hunters - who's reading? 10 17 Jul 16, 2012 05:52PM
  • Lucifer, Vol. 5: Inferno
  • Death: At Death's Door
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 5: Earth to Earth
  • Taller Tales
  • The Books of Magic, Vol. 5: Girl in the Box
  • The Sandman Companion
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Neverwhere Stardust

“All that I did," she said, "everything I tried to do. All for nothing."

Nothing is done entirely for nothing, said the fox of dreams. Nothing is wasted. You are older, and you have made decisions, and you are not the fox you were yesterday. Take what you have learned, and move on.”
122 likes
“He told me not to seek revenge, but to seek the Buddha,' said the fox spirit, sadly.

'Wise counsel,' said the fox of dreams. 'Vegeance can be a road that has no ending. You would be wise to avoid it. And...?'

'I shall seek the Buddha,' said the fox, with a toss of her head. 'But first I shall seek revenge.”
26 likes