Start by marking “サンドマン 夢の狩人-ドリ-ムハンタ-- (Sandman: Dream Hunters)” as Want to Read:
サンドマン 夢の狩人-ドリ-ムハンタ-- (Sandman: Dream Hunters)

サンドマン 夢の狩人-ドリ-ムハンタ-- (The Sandman #11)

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,928 Ratings  ·  457 Reviews
Sandman fans should feel lucky that master fantasy writer Neil Gaiman discovered the mythical world of Japanese fables while researching his translation of Hayao Miyazaki's film Princess Mononoke. At the same time, while preparing for the Sandman 10th anniversary, he met Yoshitaka Amano, his artist for the 11th Sandman book. Amano is the famed designer of the Final Fantasy ...more
138 pages
Published (first published 1999)

Miriam
May 15, 2016 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh hey, I know this story! Well, my version didn't have Cain and Abel and the Raven in it, but the monk and fox part was familiar. Not what I was expecting at all. Slightly disappointed to not get something new to me, but this was a very well-done version with lovely illustrations.
Brooke
Jul 17, 2012 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gaiman + Amano is a pairing that's like a dream come true, pun intended. Gaiman blends his Sandman characters with a Japanese fable and Amano, the artist and character designer behind many Final Fantasy games illustrates. It's beautiful, and while some video game fans complain that Amano is a one-trick pony, I think that having more of his signature style can only be a good thing.
Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog)
This is not an adaptation of a single fairy tale as purported, though elements of the Japanese mythic tradition remain strong if not always exactly perfected. In particular, Gaiman captures the elusive spirit of the fox (or 'kitsune', which are as mysterious and versatile as they are pervasive in Japanese myth) exceedingly well, weaving about it a tale of fear against contentment and love against sacrifice morphed (forgive the pun) to fit seamlessly with the established Sandman canon.

Yoshitaka A
kaśyap
Mar 15, 2016 kaśyap rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, art
Yoshitaka Amano's art is beautiful.
Daniel
5.0 "Realidad o sueño..."

"No sé como fue
que llegaste a mí o yo a ti.
Ni si fue
realidad o un sueño,
despierto o dormido.

Estoy perdido en la oscuridad
de un abatido corazón,
sueño o realidad,
que se decida esta noche."

¡Basta ya! de darle largas, esta novela la leí hace ya 3 meses (¡cómo vuela el tiempo!) Por allá en septiembre muy cerca de mi cumpleaños, había iniciado a leer lo que para mi sería solo una lectura para matar el rato, una fabula japonesa que aparentaba ir sobre animales y sueñ
Sofia
Aug 19, 2010 Sofia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Posted on my book blog.

Background: I am a big fan of Neil Gaiman and his Sandman series. I came across the more recent, graphic novel retelling of this book first, and while it appealed to me, it was nothing compared to what I experienced when I looked at the original version. The cover is absolutely beautiful, golden and luminous without being kitschy.

Review: It all begins with a wager between a badger and a fox. In a Japanese mountainside, there was a little temple, hardly visited by anyone an
Mel
This isn't a graphic novel but a beautifully illustrated book. In fact the illustrations are the best part. Neil does his best attempt at a Japanese style version of a Sandman story. It didn't feel quite right to me. It had some of the elements of a Japanese fairy tale, but it felt a little clumsy round the edges and the transitions. But then I'm not that familiar with Japanese literature, just know my Buddhist literature and fox spirits from Chinese literature and religion so perhaps that was m ...more
Jeraviz
Sep 19, 2015 Jeraviz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Fabula japonesa ambientada en el mundo de Sueño donde Gaiman vuelve a demostrar que es un maestro contando historias.
David
A retelling of a Japanese fairy tale, with Gaiman's Sandman characters grafted onto certain roles. This is not a comic book but an illustrated novella. It's a decent story, though it isn't up to the caliber of his best Sandman stories. What distinguishes this book most is the lovely multi-page spreads of Yoshitaka Amano's artwork. Worth having if you are a Sandman or Amano fan.
Tobin Elliott
Initially I felt this was a real left turn for the series, but it truly wasn't. I know it was based on a Japanese fable, but it really fit in nicely with the rest of the series.

I also enjoyed that this was more of an illustrated narrative instead of the standard panels with dialogue. The writing was, of course, beautiful (can Gaiman do any less?) and the art, was gorgeous.

I think a work of this type--being an adaptation of an old fable, breaking with the standard graphic novel formula, and stil
Linda
Apr 24, 2016 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gr-specfic-brs, 2016
This was a retelling of a Japanese fable, which Gaiman set within his Sandman world. I enjoyed the story overall, but I just didn't find myself enthusiastic while reading it. Also, the illustrations were not my style, I much preferred the comic book style of the previous Sandman volumes. Still a decent book overall.
Fabian
Dec 24, 2013 Fabian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In one word: Beautiful.
This book brings together all the fantasy of The Sandman with the ancient magic of a japanese legend. If you read it long enough, you might even feel that you are reading some ancient scroll, with real ancient japanese drawings.
Kaethe
I particularly loved the Japanese-inspired art and mythology. So pretty. It would be easy to believe that somehow the Sandman mythos could be part of Japanese mythological history. It feels real.

Library copy
Dec 30, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While Gaiman's contribution was charming (as always), Yoshitaka Amano's art was heart stoppingly exquisite. Words will not suffice.
d.
Apr 22, 2015 d. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Original review posted at Layers of Thought in a graphic novel trio review.

An awarding winning novella, that has a dark and lovely rendition of a number of combined ancient fables. It’s gorgeously illustrated and celebrates Japanese mythology.

About: A young Buddhist monk who is at peace with his life is in charge of a small temple set in some beautiful mountains in Japan. While attending to his his daily rituals and household maintenance he is emotionally accosted by two animals/spirits who want
D.M.
Mar 04, 2011 D.M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Dream Hunters is an enjoyable read, it does end up feeling a bit like what it was: a project cobbled together to capitalise on the 10th anniversary of Sandman's first issue, as well as to bring together two masters of their form in Amano and Gaiman.
The story goes (according to Gaiman's afterword), that Yoshitaka Amano did a picture for the Sandman anniversary and Gaiman liked it. When Gaiman was approached to write an anniversary story he thought maybe they should collaborate on a story he
Ross
Nov 27, 2012 Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, it's a Sandman story by Neil Gaiman that is heavily illustrated, and it's NOT a comic book. By the same token, the adult situations depicted in Gaiman's novella mean it is not intended for the young adult market, either. It also represents the first full-length prose story that I've read in several months, though I've also been reading epic poetry.

The writing is excellent, as fans of "Sandman" and "Coraline" already know. And though there are descriptions that go beyond what I'm normally us
Ray
Dec 16, 2007 Ray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: graphic_novels
The Dream Hunters is one long story, very strongly grounded in a few old Japanese stories that Neil Gaiman stumbled upon, specifically 'The Fox, The Monk, and The Mikado of All Night's Dreaming'. Mr. Gaiman found so many similarities here that he was inspired to retell this for a 10th anniversary celebration of the Sandman. Just a few bits of tweaking were needed (one should read the afterword, it's fascinating).

They story itself is well told, Mr. Gaiman manages to not only capture the Sandman o
Stacey
Beautiful japanese style fairy story, with gorgeous and evocative illustrations. The story is written entirely by Gaiman, but with a partially tongue-in-cheek narrative that leads the reader to believe it's an adaptation of an ancient story.

Well, you could have fooled me. I have a fascination with Japanese culture, (admittedly though, no particular breadth of knowledge about it,) and love Yoshitaka Amano's sweeping, but pencil-delicate fantastical art. This story marries the best of storytellin
Jason Bootle
Aug 30, 2015 Jason Bootle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Sandman read this time leaning on an old Japanese folk story. What I love about this especially is the illustrations and how it's more of a picture book than comic. Yoshitaka Amano said he didn't do comic styled illustrations and as a result Neil writes more prose and it works giving space to work and pictures with such beautiful effect.
Dexter
Apr 13, 2009 Dexter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the finest by the pen of master fabulist Neil Gaiman, this time, set in a bygone Japan evocative of the Heian period. In a novella format with profuse and lush illustrations by the famed Yoshitaka Amano, this is as much Amano's book as it is Gaiman's. There has been some controversy as to the story--is it original to Neil Gaiman, or did he revise it from various sources on Japanese fairy tales? Whatever the case is, the story of the kitsune and the monk is a magical, gripping love story a ...more
Randolph Carter
This is more of an illustrated story than a graphic novel. Amano's artwork and the Japanese aesthetic rein in Gaiman's excessive tendency to throw in the kitchen sink, in this telling, retelling actually, of the story of the fox and the monk. The story is wonderful and the artwork even more so. Amano really should have gotten top billing since Gaiman is basically just retelling a Japanese fairy tale with some Sandman flourishes.

Thoroughly enjoyable although not really part of the Sandman canon.
Kátia Cristina
Dec 31, 2015 Kátia Cristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lindo! Uma história de amor e de entrega belamente ilustrada e, diferentemente do que estou acostumada com o Neil, em prosa. vale a pena.
Nikki
It's a little inaccurate to tag this as a graphic novel, as it's actually more of a novella with illustrations. The illustrations are gorgeous -- but then, I expected that, since it's illustrated by Yoshitaka Amano (who did a lot of designs for the Final Fantasy game series).

It's a simple little story, based on a Japanese myth. The writing feels very much like a fairy tale, which is nice; Gaiman is good at adapting his writing. It's interesting to see how easily Dream and his realm are woven int
Pixelina
Sep 04, 2013 Pixelina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It would be unfair to finish this one in one sitting even if it is rather short. Better to read before you go to bed and let this fairy-tale and these images form the portal into your own dreams.

This is a story of a Buddhist monk and a fox and the dream they dream together. Parts of it reminded me of old Swedish folk-tales, of animals masked as humans, of ruins turned to castles and mice and spiders into a feast.

The art is stunning and together with the words it paints a world full of magic and
Nick Enlowe
Sep 25, 2011 Nick Enlowe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What could have been left as a simple fairy tale evolves into a tragic, uplifting, and always hauting story, an intricate tale which revolves around three characters and the King of Dreams himself. Gaiman deftly weaves it all together like a waltz.

At 126 pages, half of which are beautiful renderings by artist Yoshitaka Amano of Final Fantasy fame, this can easily be read in one sitting.

The atmosphere should be unmistakable to fans familiar to Gaiman's long run of Sandman comics, and I believe th
Tanneke
Nov 15, 2014 Tanneke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful story, beautiful pictures...
Chris
his was a wonderful retelling of an old Japanese fairy tale of love and vengeance. The retelling is by Neil Gaiman, famous for his Sandman comics, and though this story has very little to do with his Sandman series, it does delve into the world of Dreams and we do come across the King of Dreams a couple times. The story is about a monk, a lone caretaker of a distant temple on the side of a mountain, and a neighboring fox. The fox ends up in love with the monk through his kindness. Being a Japane ...more
Natalia
Jun 12, 2015 Natalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Basado en fábulas japonesas, leerlo fue como estar en un sueño. Recomendado.
Around the Year i...: The Dream Hunters, by Neil Gaiman 2 23 May 24, 2016 07:45AM
Endicott Mythic F...: The Sandman: The Dream Hunters - who's reading? 10 18 Jul 16, 2012 05:52PM
  • Lucifer, Vol. 8: The Wolf Beneath the Tree
  • Taller Tales
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 3: Reckonings
  • Promethea, Vol. 4
  • Kabuki, Vol. 1: Circle of Blood
  • Death: At Death's Door
  • Cages

The Sandman (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Sandman: Overture
  • The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes
  • The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House
  • The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country (The Sandman, #3)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 4: Season of Mists (The Sandman, #4)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 5: A Game of You (The Sandman, #5)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 6: Fables and Reflections (The Sandman, #6)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 7: Brief Lives  (The Sandman, #7)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 8: Worlds' End (The Sandman, #8)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones (The Sandman, #9)

“All that I did," she said, "everything I tried to do. All for nothing."

Nothing is done entirely for nothing, said the fox of dreams. Nothing is wasted. You are older, and you have made decisions, and you are not the fox you were yesterday. Take what you have learned, and move on.”
151 likes
“He told me not to seek revenge, but to seek the Buddha,' said the fox spirit, sadly.

'Wise counsel,' said the fox of dreams. 'Vegeance can be a road that has no ending. You would be wise to avoid it. And...?'

'I shall seek the Buddha,' said the fox, with a toss of her head. 'But first I shall seek revenge.”
30 likes