Start by marking “サンドマン 夢の狩人-ドリ-ムハンタ-- (Sandman: Dream Hunters)” as Want to Read:
サンドマン 夢の狩人-ドリ-ムハンタ-- (Sandman: Dream Hunters)

サンドマン 夢の狩人-ドリ-ムハンタ-- (The Sandman #11)

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  13,485 ratings  ·  414 reviews
Sandman fans should feel lucky that master fantasy writer Neil Gaiman discovered the mythical world of Japanese fables while researching his translation of Hayao Miyazaki's film Princess Mononoke. At the same time, while preparing for the Sandman 10th anniversary, he met Yoshitaka Amano, his artist for the 11th Sandman book. Amano is the famed designer of the Final Fantasy ...more
138 pages
Published (first published 1999)

Brooke
Gaiman + Amano is a pairing that's like a dream come true, pun intended. Gaiman blends his Sandman characters with a Japanese fable and Amano, the artist and character designer behind many Final Fantasy games illustrates. It's beautiful, and while some video game fans complain that Amano is a one-trick pony, I think that having more of his signature style can only be a good thing.
Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog)
This is not an adaptation of a single fairy tale as purported, though elements of the Japanese mythic tradition remain strong if not always exactly perfected. In particular, Gaiman captures the elusive spirit of the fox (or 'kitsune', which are as mysterious and versatile as they are pervasive in Japanese myth) exceedingly well, weaving about it a tale of fear against contentment and love against sacrifice morphed (forgive the pun) to fit seamlessly with the established Sandman canon.

Yoshitaka A
Tobin Elliott
Initially I felt this was a real left turn for the series, but it truly wasn't. I know it was based on a Japanese fable, but it really fit in nicely with the rest of the series.

I also enjoyed that this was more of an illustrated narrative instead of the standard panels with dialogue. The writing was, of course, beautiful (can Gaiman do any less?) and the art, was gorgeous.

I think a work of this type--being an adaptation of an old fable, breaking with the standard graphic novel formula, and stil
Fabian
In one word: Beautiful.
This book brings together all the fantasy of The Sandman with the ancient magic of a japanese legend. If you read it long enough, you might even feel that you are reading some ancient scroll, with real ancient japanese drawings.
While Gaiman's contribution was charming (as always), Yoshitaka Amano's art was heart stoppingly exquisite. Words will not suffice.
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Original review posted at Layers of Thought in a graphic novel trio review.

An awarding winning novella, that has a dark and lovely rendition of a number of combined ancient fables. It’s gorgeously illustrated and celebrates Japanese mythology.

About: A young Buddhist monk who is at peace with his life is in charge of a small temple set in some beautiful mountains in Japan. While attending to his his daily rituals and household maintenance he is emotionally accosted by two animals/spirits who want
D.M.
While Dream Hunters is an enjoyable read, it does end up feeling a bit like what it was: a project cobbled together to capitalise on the 10th anniversary of Sandman's first issue, as well as to bring together two masters of their form in Amano and Gaiman.
The story goes (according to Gaiman's afterword), that Yoshitaka Amano did a picture for the Sandman anniversary and Gaiman liked it. When Gaiman was approached to write an anniversary story he thought maybe they should collaborate on a story he
Sofia
Aug 19, 2010 Sofia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Posted on my book blog.

Background: I am a big fan of Neil Gaiman and his Sandman series. I came across the more recent, graphic novel retelling of this book first, and while it appealed to me, it was nothing compared to what I experienced when I looked at the original version. The cover is absolutely beautiful, golden and luminous without being kitschy.

Review: It all begins with a wager between a badger and a fox. In a Japanese mountainside, there was a little temple, hardly visited by anyone an
Ross
Yes, it's a Sandman story by Neil Gaiman that is heavily illustrated, and it's NOT a comic book. By the same token, the adult situations depicted in Gaiman's novella mean it is not intended for the young adult market, either. It also represents the first full-length prose story that I've read in several months, though I've also been reading epic poetry.

The writing is excellent, as fans of "Sandman" and "Coraline" already know. And though there are descriptions that go beyond what I'm normally us
Ray
Dec 16, 2007 Ray rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: graphic_novels
The Dream Hunters is one long story, very strongly grounded in a few old Japanese stories that Neil Gaiman stumbled upon, specifically 'The Fox, The Monk, and The Mikado of All Night's Dreaming'. Mr. Gaiman found so many similarities here that he was inspired to retell this for a 10th anniversary celebration of the Sandman. Just a few bits of tweaking were needed (one should read the afterword, it's fascinating).

They story itself is well told, Mr. Gaiman manages to not only capture the Sandman o
Stacey
Beautiful japanese style fairy story, with gorgeous and evocative illustrations. The story is written entirely by Gaiman, but with a partially tongue-in-cheek narrative that leads the reader to believe it's an adaptation of an ancient story.

Well, you could have fooled me. I have a fascination with Japanese culture, (admittedly though, no particular breadth of knowledge about it,) and love Yoshitaka Amano's sweeping, but pencil-delicate fantastical art. This story marries the best of storytellin
Dexter
One of the finest by the pen of master fabulist Neil Gaiman, this time, set in a bygone Japan evocative of the Heian period. In a novella format with profuse and lush illustrations by the famed Yoshitaka Amano, this is as much Amano's book as it is Gaiman's. There has been some controversy as to the story--is it original to Neil Gaiman, or did he revise it from various sources on Japanese fairy tales? Whatever the case is, the story of the kitsune and the monk is a magical, gripping love story a ...more
Nikki
It's a little inaccurate to tag this as a graphic novel, as it's actually more of a novella with illustrations. The illustrations are gorgeous -- but then, I expected that, since it's illustrated by Yoshitaka Amano (who did a lot of designs for the Final Fantasy game series).

It's a simple little story, based on a Japanese myth. The writing feels very much like a fairy tale, which is nice; Gaiman is good at adapting his writing. It's interesting to see how easily Dream and his realm are woven int
Jeanette (jema)
It would be unfair to finish this one in one sitting even if it is rather short. Better to read before you go to bed and let this fairy-tale and these images form the portal into your own dreams.

This is a story of a Buddhist monk and a fox and the dream they dream together. Parts of it reminded me of old Swedish folk-tales, of animals masked as humans, of ruins turned to castles and mice and spiders into a feast.

The art is stunning and together with the words it paints a world full of magic and
Nick Enlowe
What could have been left as a simple fairy tale evolves into a tragic, uplifting, and always hauting story, an intricate tale which revolves around three characters and the King of Dreams himself. Gaiman deftly weaves it all together like a waltz.

At 126 pages, half of which are beautiful renderings by artist Yoshitaka Amano of Final Fantasy fame, this can easily be read in one sitting.

The atmosphere should be unmistakable to fans familiar to Gaiman's long run of Sandman comics, and I believe th
Tanneke
Beautiful story, beautiful pictures...
Natalia
Basado en fábulas japonesas, leerlo fue como estar en un sueño. Recomendado.
Michelle Larson
Yoshitaka Amano's art is perfection. Neil Gaiman's writing is superb and suited brilliantly to the culture and the art. But that's not why I'm giving this 5 stars.

When I first bought this book, I fell in love. When I found the Japanese release of the book (with the super beautiful golden slipcase) I knew I had to have it.

As my (Japanese) mother (who is rather reluctant to read books in English) makes regular trips into Japan Town, I asked if she could keep an eye out and pick up the book the ne
Jane Valenzuela
The story begins with a wager between two animal spirits, a fox and a badger, to claim the temple that is tended by a young and humble monk. Both fail, but not before the fox spirit fall in love with the monk. She apologizes to him and he lets her stay provided she cause no more trouble for him.

Meanwhile, in far away Kyoto, a rich practitioner of magic and divination, or onmyoji, is plagued by a nameless fear and consults three women who live on the outskirts of town. He is told of the monk who
Morgan Haro
I hadn't read anything by Neil Gaiman before, let alone have a story be supported with artwork from Yoshitaka Amano. As a Final Fantasy fan, I had always appreciated Amano's art style, but it was always in service to things like character designs and logos. Not neccessarily supporting the story telling angle.

That said, after reading this book, I'm an immediate Neil Gaiman fan and want to read more of his work. The way each chapter and page was set up to continually draw me in was only amplified
David
A retelling of a Japanese fairy tale, with Gaiman's Sandman characters grafted onto certain roles. This is not a comic book but an illustrated novella. It's a decent story, though it isn't up to the caliber of his best Sandman stories. What distinguishes this book most is the lovely multi-page spreads of Yoshitaka Amano's artwork. Worth having if you are a Sandman or Amano fan.
Kama
Neil Gaiman and Yoshitaka Amano? One of my favourite authors together! Sandman and Asian folklore? All the more reasons for me to asked this as a present for Christmas, many years ago.

It's appealing also to people that usually aren't in such stuff, thanks to Gaiman's writing, I think. Yoshitaka Amano's illustrations are... dreamy...
Emily
Cool artwork in this one, especially the huge spread of the "King of All Night's Dreaming". The Neil Gaiman/Yoshitaka Amano collaboration really worked for a Sandmanesque retelling of this Japanese folktale. I recommend reading the Afterward on the last page-Gaiman's story of how this book came about.
Melanti
There's two vastly different versions of this book. This one is a heavily illustrated prose novella. There is a separate edition illustrated by P. Craig Russel that is a graphic novel.

Amano's illustrations are gorgeous and add a lot to the story. Gaiman's prose is as wonderful as ever.
Meltha
The artwork in this is amazingly beautiful, and the story, while only tangentially related to the Sandman universe, felt like an old folktale even though it wasn't. Also loved the cameo by Kane and Abel.
Hollis
A brilliant combination of art and letters. Amano's illustrations were wonderful and Gaiman's writing is excellent as always. Highly recommended.
Sara
My, is so beautiful to see Morpheus again.
This is such an amazing story, about love, and dreams, and sacrifice. Is told in such a calm, dreamlike fashion, that works wonderfully with Amano watercolours. The story snarls you, and doesn't let go, it drags you to dreams with the monk and the fox.
I'm a sucker for stories about foxes, crows, and dreams. This one is perfect.

If anything I could complain about is Amano's watercolours. They work in perfect armony with the story, but I don't particularl
Amber
This book is absolutely, amazingly gorgeous. And I just love how much traditional Japanese (translated) phrasing Gaiman used!
Luciana Darce
Eu já conhecia a história de Caçadores de Sonhos da versão em quadrinhos, em que Gaiman trabalhou com P. Craig Russell – inclusive eu a resenhei aqui no Coruja. Mas eu desejava ardentemente possuir a versão romanceada, com as magníficas ilustrações do Yoshitaka Amano – e depois de muito esperar, ela foi relançada em português, pela Panini.

Nem preciso dizer que providenciei meu volume já na pré-venda, não é verdade?

Embora sejam primos próximos, as duas versões de Caçadores de Sonhos têm ritmos di
Endicott Mythic F...: The Sandman: The Dream Hunters - who's reading? 10 18 Jul 16, 2012 05:52PM
  • Lucifer, Vol. 6: Mansions of the Silence
  • Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall (Fables)
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 4: Transformations
  • Kabuki, Vol. 2: Dreams
  • Promethea, Vol. 3
  • The Sandman Companion

The Sandman (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Sandman: Overture (The Sandman, #0)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1)
  • Præludier (The Sandman)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House (The Sandman #2)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country (The Sandman #3)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 4: Season of Mists (The Sandman #4)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 5: A Game of You (The Sandman #5)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 6: Fables and Reflections (The Sandman #6)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 7: Brief Lives  (The Sandman #7)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 8: Worlds' End (The Sandman, #8)
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Neverwhere The Ocean at the End of the Lane

“All that I did," she said, "everything I tried to do. All for nothing."

Nothing is done entirely for nothing, said the fox of dreams. Nothing is wasted. You are older, and you have made decisions, and you are not the fox you were yesterday. Take what you have learned, and move on.”
139 likes
“He told me not to seek revenge, but to seek the Buddha,' said the fox spirit, sadly.

'Wise counsel,' said the fox of dreams. 'Vegeance can be a road that has no ending. You would be wise to avoid it. And...?'

'I shall seek the Buddha,' said the fox, with a toss of her head. 'But first I shall seek revenge.”
27 likes