Start by marking “The Dungeon” as Want to Read:
The Dungeon

The Dungeon

In the aftermath of a murderous savagery between two rival Scottish lairds, Bruce McLennan commands the building of a castle with a dungeon below. During its building, he travels to the far away, and then almost unknown land of China, where he joins a troop of mercenary soldiers-all to distract him from his memories. In a poor tea-house, he encounters the child Peony, and, ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Dungeon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dungeon

Beth
Jan 03, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bruce MacLennan, a peasant elevated to Laird status complete with land and tenants in return for saving the life of his liege, uses his spoils of war to build a castle, dreaming of the day he will lock away the rival who stole the lives of his precious wife and children in a clan raid. While he waits for his castle and dungeon to be completed, he travels to China, where he purchases a servant girl whom he treats like a dog. Ultimately his relationship with the young woman is his salvation, but a ...more
Wendy
Jan 02, 2012 Wendy rated it it was ok
Ralph McEwen
May 06, 2010 Ralph McEwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ralph by: Cheryl
This is not a common YA story. There are several deep thoughts, like how vengence and revenge can distort a mind to the point of losing sight of the good that comes to a person. That a person can endure but even the strongest will fall when overwhelmed. That love may not be enough to save the day. Pretty strong stuff for a YA novel.
Jenny
Jan 21, 2008 Jenny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was SO depressing, I was very bummed. I usually love this author, but didn't care for this book at all.

Maybe it's just the time setting. I've kind of found that a book set in Medieval times is not very uplifting, unless it's a fantasy of some kind.
Marc R
Sep 11, 2012 Marc R rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dungeon is about a man that was rich and was needed to build a Dungeon for the king.The king was mad to find that it was taking the man so long to build the Dungeon.After the man got chewed out by the king he went out to see if he could find more men.When he came back all the men got to work and they all got killed after they finished but one man lived the king for about 3 years.

My connetion with this book is text to text because I read a book after that called The Slave Dancers that had si
Nick Turner
A quick fairly easy read despite some violent scenes (including domestic violence and self-harm). A bitter and sometimes grim medieval story of a Scottish laird, Bruce McClennan, obsessed by the wrong that was done to his family, and the lengths he will go to, in pursuit of revenge. The narrative is lightened by the optimism of Peony, a chinese slave McClennan takes on as a servant.
Some dialogue and vocabulary is in Scots dialect, e.g. "Have ye no clothes but these?", the meaning is obvious from
Amber
N. Sherman
The story got pretty intense at times. I really liked the Chinese slave girl in the story and tried really hard to like the protagonist, but alas, that ended near the end of the book. Not a good man at all. Overall rating: it was okay...
joyce lynn
ok, a good book, but ... a rather strange one. i can see why my daughter liked it, but i found it a bit odd, or at least, the ending. NOT that the main character didn't have it coming to him, still ...
Sarah Tilatitsky
Nov 18, 2010 Sarah Tilatitsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book=GOOD. That's what I have to say. READ IT, please, and you will love it. It talks about this Chinese girl that became a slave for a Scottish man. A lot of things happen, blah blah blah, and the end is a bitter-sweet sort-of conclusion.
Kelsie
Dec 21, 2009 Kelsie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is actually one of my favorite books. The ending will leave you stunned.
Beth
This book was sad and rather dark at times.
Katarina
Balint Hegyes
Sep 19, 2015 Balint Hegyes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a sad story, perhaps one of the saddest I have ever read. A dungeon can bring such pain and sorrow.....
Aleesha Ouderkirk
I read this when I was little and I do believe I liked it a lot because to this day I remember the name of the book, I need to pick it up and read it again however in order to give it a fair review
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2009
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Esther
Esther rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2011
Maria
Maria rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Sat
Sat rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2017
Sarah Martinez
Sarah Martinez rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Tyler
Tyler rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2008
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2017
Danny Feser
Danny Feser rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2015
Arianna
Arianna rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2016
Shalana (NayNay)
Shalana (NayNay) rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2012
Ann
Ann rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Is my book too sad? 1 1 Nov 29, 2015 09:53AM
Lynne Reid Banks is a British author of books for children and adults. She has written forty books, including the best-selling children's novel The Indian in the Cupboard, which has sold over 10 million copies and been made into a film.
Banks was born in London, the only child of James and Muriel Reid Banks. She was evacuated to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada during World War II but returned after
More about Lynne Reid Banks...