Start by marking “Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs: 144 Circles, Hexagons, Triangles, Squares, and Other Unexpected Shapes” as Want to Read:

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  790 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
There's a lot to love about the classic square crochet motif. But if it's hip to make squares, imagine the excitement of making circles, stars, triangles, and hexagons. Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs introduces crocheters to more than 150 designs of every size and shape. Full-color photographs capture the intricate details and color work of each motif, and clear step-by- ...more
Spiral-bound, 208 pages
Published July 30th 2008 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs

Laurie Carlson
Feb 12, 2011 Laurie Carlson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crochet
This is the MOST beautiful crochet motifs/shapes book I have EVER come across! First of all, it is spiral bound, which is GREAT to crochet with the pattern; having the book open on it's own to follow the pattern! The motifs/shapes are GORGEOUS! There are not 'just' squares. There are circles, triangles, hexagons, and more! I have read this book through a few times, and have looked longingly at the beautiful motifs, thinking about crocheting them. In EVERY crochet book, you ALWAYS learn something ...more
penny shima glanz
Apr 28, 2009 penny shima glanz rated it really liked it
It took me quite a while to discover there was such a thing as a crochet pattern book. I learned granny squares as I suspect most have -- by watching someone else do it. The closest we got to a pattern was colour blocking graph paper to decide how to lay out the finished blanket. At least that was my experience. Since discovering that motif pattern books exist I've been on a quest to find and review as many as I can.

I find that this book of 144 motifs does not disappoint me. I can't guarantee I
Nicole
Jul 25, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: crochet, non-fiction
I'd love a copy of this book. The written instructions and symbol charts are both clear and easy to read. The book is coil bound, so its lays flat and makes it that much easier to read. The general beginning instructions have information that most crocheters can learn from.

The motifs are interesting and can be adapted to larger projects with a little trial and error. I tried out quite a few of the motifs and flipped through it looking for more. I created two different hats using different circul
Sarah Wilson
Jan 14, 2012 Sarah Wilson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, crafts
As other reviewers have stated, this is much more of a reference guide than a project guide. But anyone past the beginner crocheter should be able to come up with a project for these interesting shapes. Eckman's patterns are fantastic to follow. I love the fact that she has diagrams with every pattern, as I follow along much better visually than with all of the written garbage (just my preference). There are tons of interesting shapes and I have even started on a series of hexagons for an afghan ...more
patrice
Jan 09, 2011 patrice rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, non-fiction
This book pretty much took the granny out of granny square. There are more motifs than you could probably get to in a lifetime of casual crafting. The instructions and diagrams are really helpful/well written. The color combinations are bright, bold and modern (something famously lacking in most crochet pattern books). You are inspired to grab your hook knowing it'll look great, rather than creating 3-4 different swatches with fingers crossed that the pattern CAN look up-to-date with different c ...more
Susan Barton
Jul 27, 2016 Susan Barton rated it it was amazing
I had this book on my Wish List for a while and I finally decided to go ahead and purchase it. I’m glad I did! This book contains 144 patterns for making a variety of crocheted motif shapes, which include:

• Circles
• Hexagons
• Triangles
• Squares
• Unusual Shapes

The book is beautifully illustrated. The full-color photos demonstrate how each motif should look when finished. The patterns are easy to follow, even for the novice crocheter. The glossary of basic crochet stitches is invaluable for anyone
Ybgenny
Feb 03, 2014 Ybgenny rated it it was amazing
Check it out! A 100% useful pattern book! Some books may have one or two patterns that are useful to you. This one is filled with fun and easy to make motifs.

This was my first book I got after I learned how to form stitches. And used it to learn new stitch and practice what I knew. I still turn to it when I'm working on motifs.

The only down side is the spiral notebook like binding that I've always disliked but thats just me.
I give it 5 stars for useability, wide range of shapes and clear patter
Abbey
Aug 01, 2013 Abbey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knit-crochet
Filled with simply tons of patterns for crocheted motifs, this is a good-sized spiral bound pattern book that uses beautiful pictures and diagrams, throws in a decent amount of basic info, and arranges all those gorgeous motifs nicely, enabling you to find "similars" should you wish to combine a few in a likely-to-be-gorgeous afghan. Plus she offers very good color interchanges, showing how many of the motifs can change their appearance drastically - and very interestingly, too - simply by chang ...more
Libby
Apr 29, 2010 Libby rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, crafts, how-to
A new book that I got with a Christmas gift card--so excited to have some quick/small crochet projects to try! Astra, this is all because of you!

I have by no means "finished" with this, but hope to dip in and out over the next few months.

I was waiting to put this in the "read" column until I took pictures (and hopefully posted them on my blog) of the two motifs I made from it--but it was February when I made them, it's April now, and pictures have yet to be taken.

I really liked the book overall-
Marie Segares
Dec 28, 2011 Marie Segares rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crochet, needlecrafts
(This review is part of a series of reviews of books in my granny square collection. For these reviews, the # of granny squares refers to the number of patterns for squares that are crocheted in the round, not the total number of patterns in the book.)

Summary: An exploration of crochet motifs in geometric shapes, including squares, circles, hexagons, and triangles, with tips for working in the round, joining, and changing colors. Uses U.S. pattern abbreviations and international stitch symbols.
Janet
Aug 19, 2009 Janet rated it it was amazing
Beyond-the-Square Crochet Motifs has the ideal text-to-pattern ratio. I like reading a healthy bit of instructional material and Edie Eckman included a comprehensive chapter ("Crochet Motif Workshop") that introduces some important concepts before heading to the patterns/motifs. I love the way the book is organized: a generous chapter each of Circles, Hexagons, Triangles, Squares, and Unusual Shapes. There's also an Appendix, Index (must-have but so often overlooked) and Stitch Key. The biggest ...more
Suzanne Cowles
Mar 08, 2015 Suzanne Cowles rated it it was amazing
The different shapes can be used in custom pieces such as garments, blankets or pillows. There are beautiful photographs and easy to follow instructions. Lots of inspiration for a beginner. A must have reference book for crochet.
Bliss
Aug 14, 2009 Bliss rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to make interesting crocheted items.
April 20, 2009

I absolutely love this book and plan to buy a copy for my library.

Basically, a motif is a shape: a square, triangle, circle, hexagon, etc. A crocheted motif is a shape that's been crocheted.

This book goes beautifully beyond the basic shapes, to a world I'm immersing myself in with abandon.

If you can do the basic crochet stitches, read crochet patterns or charts, you can make any of the motifs in this book.

Even if you don't crochet, if you like looking at lovely handmade items, get
Joan54
Jul 23, 2015 Joan54 rated it really liked it
Fun book lots of new motifs to learn I'd like to read this one again

Carolann
Edie is a great teacher. Have the book and use for inspiration
Debra
Sep 23, 2015 Debra rated it it was amazing
This is a good reference book for all crocheters
Sinisiipi
May 27, 2016 Sinisiipi rated it it was amazing
Monipuolisesti erilaisia malleja.
Mar 05, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Buy this one
Doris
Oct 15, 2011 Doris rated it really liked it
I love this book. It shows different granny square patterns, but more importantly it shows how you can develop your own motifs using some basic math principles. I wish the color examples used were better paired, but you are free to use your imagination. Crochet is very simple, but many crocheters are dependent upon patterns. I appreciate how the author encourages exploration into developing original patterns by equipping readers with the knowledge necessary to begin.
Deborah
This is a lovely book with many many many crochet motifs to inspire you with creative thoughts about afghans and such. I borrowed this several times from the library, and decided it was best to just go ahead and buy it for my kindle to have at hand for future crochet projects, and I am so glad I did because I can read them beautifully from my kindle app on my tablet. Great way to save space, and keep this handy crochet reference handy.
MamaCarrie
Feb 07, 2009 MamaCarrie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: crocheters
Shelves: craftymama
A good one if you enjoy granny squares. It's separated into shape sections: squares, triangles, circles and odd shapes. I had been on a crochet hiatus until this one came in the mail. I've only just begun with the squares, but there are over 100 to sink your hook into. Also some good info about how to join your motifs and use of color.
Hoan
Feb 16, 2013 Hoan rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy
Great patterns and wonderful unique shapes! I love how the author categories the different variations and groups them well together.

I love the basic mistakes pages and the easy to learn methods. Also she introduces an interesting method of sliding loop that I need to master! She makes crocheting look like a cinch!
Michele Hoover
Sep 11, 2012 Michele Hoover rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creativity
I never crocheted a motif in my life! Seriously, I never even made a Granny square. This book got me totally hooked on motifs! I made the COOLEST Sun motif that I have plans for - and lots of flowers :) I don't have time to play with these right now, but plan to get this book again from Elizabethtown Library!
Robin
Dec 13, 2010 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
An excellent resource for crocheters. Full of good photographs and well written text instructions. Great for someone like me who has never ventured into squares on her own and prefers to rely on patterns. Another great book by an author who knows what she is doing.
Stephanie
May 14, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
This is wonderful for crochet at any level. Just enough basics at the beginning to get you started, plenty of encouragement to experiment on your own, and instructions on reading written patterns and charts. Worth the price for learning to read charts alone.
Rashelle
Sep 13, 2010 Rashelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
This Crochet book is awesome for what it contains. The pictures are beautiful colors and the instructions very clear. I highly reccomend this book if you want to learn something other than a plain ol' granny square (although they have those too!).
Mintti
Jan 21, 2016 Mintti rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Suomeksi Villiä virkkausta. Ihania malleja, mutta en kyllä kerinnyt nyt kokeilemaan niistä yhtäkään. Joku päivä varmasti lainaan kirjan uudestaan, tai jopa hankin sen itselleni ja toteutan jonkun hienon jutun mikä koostuu palasista.
Wanda Shuster
Jan 07, 2013 Wanda Shuster rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2013
Beautiful book! Nice spiral bound with LOTS of patterns. The patterns are written and drawn with photo of finished motif. Not only squares...circles, triangles, hexagons. How to chose your own colors and patterns too!
Courtney
Nov 05, 2012 Courtney rated it liked it
I like this book because is goes beyond the granny square. I have to admit these patterns have been a challenge... I have trouble with the triangles but I made a star. I think this is a good reference book for any crocheter.
Elle
Oct 15, 2008 Elle rated it really liked it
I thought that this was just a beautiful book. It is spiral bound and it gave me so many ideas on how to do some projects. I just wish that they had some actually in person projects done already.
  • 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix and Match
  • The Crochet Stitch Bible
  • 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet: A Collection of Beautiful Blooms for Embellishing Garments, Accessories, and More
  • Crochet So Fine: Exquisite Designs with Fine Yarns
  • Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet #15906
  • Amazing Crochet Lace: New Fashions Inspired by Old-Fashioned Lace
  • The Complete Book of Crochet Stitch Designs: 500 Classic & Original Patterns
  • Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting
  • The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Crochet: Learn to Crochet with More Than Thirty Cool, Easy Patterns
  • Hip to Crochet
  • Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More!
  • Loop-d-Loop Crochet: More Than 25 Novel Designs for Crocheters (and Kntters Taking Up the Hook)
  • Cool Crochet
Edie Eckman has her hands in many aspects of the fiber artsteaching, writing, designing and editing. Her knit and crochet designs have appeared in many magazines, yarn company publications, pattern leaflets and books. Her books include: Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs, How to Knit Socks: Three Methods Made Easy, and The Crochet Answer Book. Her newest book, Around the Corner Crochet Borders, will ...more
More about Edie Eckman...