Start by marking “A World of Difference: An Anthology of Short Stories from Five Continents” as Want to Read:
A World of Difference: An Anthology of Short Stories from Five Continents

A World of Difference: An Anthology of Short Stories from Five Continents

"This anthology brings together an international selection of short stories by distinguished modern writers from five continents (America, Africa, Asia, Australia and Europe).
The fifteen stories collected here were all written in English within the last fifty years. Each has something to say about cultural encounters, often arising from experiences of migration or upro
Published July 15th 2008 by Palgrave Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about A World of Difference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A World of Difference

Zanna
An outstanding collection, inspiring me to read more of the work of many of the authors featured:

Nadine Gordimer - The Ultimate Safari

A tale of asylum-seeking in Mozambique from the point of view of a young child, whose unworldliness enables Gordimer to draw a painful contrast between the lives of African people and the experience of tourists visiting the sub-Saharan area

Amy Tan - The Joy Luck Club

This story was a breath of fresh air for me and I fully intend to seek out the original collection.
Alexandra
Mar 26, 2016 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Finally finished this. I liked some stories and found others a drag to read. Martha, Martha is the one that I have to concentrate on for my essay, and four other stories I had to read for the text book and tutorial.

Out of the 15 stories in the collection, I enjoyed reading 6 of them.
1) The Ultimate Safari by Nadine Gordimer.
A heavy but well written story about orphaned children having to travel with their elderly grandparents and other desperate villagers across Kruger national park. It is tol
Julie Mednick
Nov 15, 2008 Julie Mednick rated it it was amazing
Reading this for my OU degree. A good mixture of short stories.
Nicholas Richard Pearson
This anthology, edited by Lynda Prescott, is one of a number of set-texts that are needed if you are studying the sixty credit Open University (OU) Level 1 humanities course, AA100 'The Arts Past and Present'. It is an introductory course made for new students to experience a plethora of arts disciplines before deciding on a particular specialism. This book is meant to aid understanding within the third block of the module, 'Cultural Encounters', and is intended to be used in approaching the dis ...more
Ian
Jun 30, 2014 Ian rated it it was amazing
I happened upon this book while browsing through the English-language section of a small bookshop in Istanbul. Given the themes of migration, displacement, and difference, purchasing it seemed appropriate. I really enjoy short stories, and this collection of 15 different stories from around the world was an exceptional choice. It was only after starting to read that I realized it was a course text for a university course!

A major theme within the stories was the myth of American exceptionalism an
Deborah
Mar 16, 2015 Deborah rated it it was amazing
A concrete example of the variety in language - dependent on location and author.

It might be more accurate, in fact, to speak of different Englishes, since the varieties of English used across the world as well as within the British Isles can be quite distinct from each other.

The Ultimate Safari by Nadine Gordimer

The African Adventure Lives On... You can do it!
The ultimate safari or expedition
With leaders who
know Africa.

I didn't think our grandmother wanted to speak again. I didn't think she w
Sasha
Jul 02, 2016 Sasha rated it it was ok
Read *some of* as part of Open university AA100, the stories I read where in themselves fine , but felt very similar to other texts I have read for school etc. It's a shame modern texts seem to only be used very rarely as sources for academia.
Dáithí Ó Murchú (Fr. David)
I loved it. It brought me on a world trip without a plane ticket. It brought me deep within the recesses of the souls of the authors and the protagonists to explore further the journey of life.
Lorna Marie
Oct 29, 2014 Lorna Marie rated it liked it
I breifly touched on one or two of these stories during my English Degree. I thought they were nice and snappy and contained a nice little mix of multicultarism.
Justine Knight
May 02, 2014 Justine Knight rated it really liked it
This is a great book to try if you want to dip your toes into the fresh water of short stories. They have a mixture of old and new from different countries to give you a wide range of people with different voices.
Gary Turner
Jan 09, 2015 Gary Turner rated it really liked it
A wonderful diverse collection of stories, a must read for anyone wanting a reading experience from different corners of the world.
عبدالعزيز مال الله
"In Cuba l was A German Shepherd", and "The Ultimate Safari" one of my favourite stories in this lovely books. come With strong message between the lines, and discuss culture encounter in many ways
Lu Wilson
Dec 27, 2014 Lu Wilson rated it liked it
Read as part of my level 1 OU module AA100 The Arts Past and Present. A good collection of short stories from around the world.
Sarah u

I read this because it is a set book for one of my history degree modules. The stories in the anthology study cultures from all over the world. Some of the stories, 'The Ultimate Safari' for example, are very moving and thought provoking. Even though this time I read because I had too, I will not hesitate to pick this up again to read for pleasure. A great collection.
Kendall
Aug 28, 2016 Kendall rated it liked it
Shelves: school-books
This book contains several short stories by authors who live in different parts of the world. Overall, I enjoyed most of the stories. They were interesting and some of them were very powerful. It was a good book to read.
Ceri
Apr 05, 2012 Ceri rated it it was amazing
This is one of my set books for my OU course so I 'had' to read it, but I love short stories & this was a good collection with authors from all around the globe & featuring different countries & cultures.
Mandy
Aug 16, 2011 Mandy rated it really liked it
I really enjoy short stories, and I really enjoy stories with a foreign element - people out of their normal environment, and these stories are all about that. About displaced people.
Kerrie Watling
Jul 09, 2013 Kerrie Watling rated it really liked it
I loved this anthology of short stories, cultural barriers aside it enlightens differences. the stories are brilliantly written my favourite being 'in Cuba I was a German Shepard'
Vince
Jul 30, 2011 Vince rated it it was amazing
They're all good stories,especially Bernard Malamud's ; and the one by Roxana Robinson (Mr Sumarsono) is the best short story I've ever read.
Krupa
Jun 07, 2013 Krupa rated it liked it
Good short stories and i liked most of them. I justwishthey were more current and not adding to the prejudice about the rest of the world.
Laurence Dodds
Aug 23, 2011 Laurence Dodds rated it really liked it
Great short stories, Raymond Carver has a few stories in here. Very short stories that really helped me in my english course.
Dave
Jun 24, 2015 Dave rated it liked it
There are four or five really good stories in here, but the majority feel too similar and are uninteresting.
John Scott
Sep 26, 2012 John Scott rated it liked it
Shelves: open-university
A few great stories here. I may have enjoyed it more if it wasn't on my compulsory reading list.
Mew
Oct 28, 2008 Mew rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
short stories with purpose...page turning...
Monkeyclogs
Feb 01, 2015 Monkeyclogs rated it it was ok
Didn't really get on with these
Holly Etheridge
Holly Etheridge marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Lorraine
Lorraine is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Jamie Boyce
Jamie Boyce marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Gemma Corbett
Gemma Corbett is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2016
  • The Faber Book Of Beasts
  • The Burial at Thebes: A Version of Sophocles' Antigone
  • AA100 The Arts Past and Present - Reputations (Book 1)
  • The Apex Book of World SF 2 (Apex Book of World SF #2)
  • Rotten English: A Literary Anthology
  • Black Cool: One Thousand Streams of Blackness
  • The Complete Stories
  • Daughters of Africa
  • The Complete Short Stories: Volume 1
  • The Flower Drum Song
  • The Dead Game (Point Horror)
  • Eve Was Framed: Women and British Justice
  • Suspended In Language: Niels Bohr's Life, Discoveries, And The Century He Shaped
  • My Daughter My Mother