Start by marking “Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth (Indiana Jones: Prequels #11)” as Want to Read:
Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth (Indiana Jones: Prequels #11)

Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth (Indiana Jones: Prequels #11)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  496 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A violent storm, a dying Arctic explorer, and a curious wooden box make Indy the target of fanatical Nazi agents. Inside the box are a slice of Icelandic stone with mythological powers and a journal hinting at the existence of an underground civilization near the top of the world. Indy and Ulla Tornaes, a beautiful Danish scientist, set out into the Arctic wastes, racing a ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published February 3rd 1997 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth

Ted Mallory
Mar 24, 2009 Ted Mallory rated it really liked it
I'm a little embarrassed that I enjoy this pulpy pop-fiction, but what a fun indulgence.
Benjamin Thomas
Jan 27, 2016 Benjamin Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: action-adventure
The 11th of the Indiana Jones Prequel novels and third by author Max McCoy is a nicely told romp of an adventure tale. It brings Indy to several interesting locales, among them Southwest New Mexico where Indy continues to pursue the multi-novel story arc relating to the Crystal Skull as well as to the far north where he and his companions encounter the opening to the Hollow World inside the Earth.

As always, what I like about the Indiana Jones books (besides the fact that they are about…well…Indi
Alex
Apr 01, 2016 Alex rated it it was amazing
I love Max as well as the Indiana series. He writes in an extremely engaging and clear way, allowing the reader to easily visualize each scene. Definitely worth the read! Minus .5 though for naming a book about "hollow earth" to only then find out that it took to the very LAST chapter for them to get there!
Will Redd
Jul 19, 2014 Will Redd rated it liked it
It has to be difficult taking on a character created by someone else and getting everything right.

It is obviously a little difficult for Max McCoy.

There was just something off about Jones' characterization in Hollow Earth. I can't quite put my finger on it. There were moments when it felt like Dr. Jones, and others where it felt like someone trying his hardest to be Indy and not quite hitting the mark.

Then there is the story itself, which feels more like three stories mashed into one globe-hoppi
Riley Keith
Apr 25, 2016 Riley Keith rated it liked it
I had fun with this book, but I'm not sure Max got Indy right. Now, bear in mind I haven't read the first ten prequel books, but characterization is characterization and while there were glimpses of Indiana Jones inside the book, the whole thing felt off to me.

Ulla was a fantastic character, lots of fun and very smart. The fact Indy DIDN'T take her to bed is just plain weird. Not that it should be the normal, but Indiana Jones is supposed to be the James Bond of the archaeological world. To hav
Cathrine Bonham
Jan 24, 2012 Cathrine Bonham rated it liked it
A good addition to Indiana lore but as an adventure took too many detours before getting to the "Hollow Earth" of the Title. Everything that took place in New Mexico and New Orleans just seemed so pointless. I think there must have been a better way becasue that was a lot of work just to introduce one character.

As for the mythology I found it quite interesting. Make sure you read the afterward for more information on Hollow earth theories and Polar exploration.
Röbert Fenske
Jun 05, 2015 Röbert Fenske rated it it was ok
McCoy for some odd reason decided to slightly alter the structure of the book compared to his previous Indiana Jones novels. The previous Indy stories by McCoy were great because they instantly dropped you into the action and followed a similar structure to the movies. But this novel had the problem of being mostly filler/fluff as the sub-plot from the previous stories finally reaches its climax. It really felt like two different stories that were forced into one book and really dilutes the adve ...more
VBergen
Mar 27, 2013 VBergen rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, fantasy
first part, treasure hunting, boring and long. Second part, leading to the cold, better. Final part, the best but unfortunately the shortest.
Danelley
Apr 12, 2013 Danelley marked it as to-read
This will be my guilty (not really though) pleasure reading when I can get my hands on a copy. Tee hee!
Jake
May 12, 2008 Jake rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure
Fun! Mediocre writing, mediocre pacing, decent story + Indiana Jones = Win in my book.

C.K. Burch
Jul 11, 2014 C.K. Burch rated it did not like it
I remember reading this novel once upon a time and thinking, "That wasn't bad, but what was the point?" Unfortunately, as I reread this particular chapter in Indy's pre-film adventures, I realized that there was none. Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth commits the ultimate sin of an adventure book by being boring and without direction. Even Indy is uninterested in the "main" focus of the novel, as his mind is somewhere else and he even abandons the main plot for a subplot that literally has no i ...more
John Wilson
Mar 20, 2012 John Wilson rated it it was ok
Adventure fiction shouldn't be boring. History lessons are fine and, yeah, the guy's an archaeologist so getting archaeology lessons every so often is expected. But not at the expense of plot or, say, an interesting story.

A famous arctic explorer knocks on Indy's door in the dead of night and pretty much dies in his arms (because a car had hit him minutes earlier). Before he expires he gives Indy a sealed wooden box that he stresses has SOMETHING REALLY IMPORTANT in it.

Despite this bizarre occur
Daniel
Jul 31, 2013 Daniel rated it liked it
The Hollow Earth. I felt like I read something similar. Wait! I know it's called Indiana Jones and the Interior World! Well not really. This is way different from that novel. In The Hollow Earth, Indy get thrown into two adventures, the second of course being the discovery of the "Hollow Earth". So there's two adventures in one to be exact.

The story starts off really slow, then beings to pick up slowly and finally we get excitement and adventure. One of the characters we met in this novel really
Ray Pletcher
Mar 03, 2015 Ray Pletcher rated it it was amazing
This novel takes you into the fun action world of Indiana Jones. If you liked the movies you should give this book a read. It has many intense action scenes. Indiana Jones has to solve the adventure in order to accomplish his goal. Marcus Brody I think is in the book, in fact I believe he's the only other character from the movies that was allowed in the books.

The adventure includes Jones taking out an expedition. Like any good Indiana Jones story there are plenty of obstacles for Indy to overc
Zac
Jun 01, 2016 Zac rated it liked it
Good, but not great. Had I realized that it was book 11 in a series, I may have saved myself some puzzling looks. It appears that things in the past play a role for Indy in this adventure, and if you haven't read those, you're out of the loop. However, the adventure itself was fun and the locales were interesting enough. The climax and resolution of the story were far too abrupt though (both happened in the last several pages). Is it worth reading? If you're a big Indiana Jones fan, then yes. If ...more
Maythavee
Feb 15, 2013 Maythavee rated it really liked it
Indy! I missed you so much! It’s been a while since I watched the movies so it was nice to join Indy on another adventure. I really enjoyed this book! I really like knowing Indy’s thoughts; it gives us new perspective on his character. The brilliant cast of characters and the fast-paced plot made this book a really exciting read. Although some there are some things that might have been in other books but I could still enjoy the book. Overall, Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth was a fun read. Fa ...more
Stephen
Apr 18, 2016 Stephen rated it it was amazing
This book deals with a lost treasure in the mountains of New Mexico. Indy tries to steal one treasure to buy another, all in the hope of returning an artifact that he believes has cursed him. He manages to pull it off, but loses himself to the curse anyway. Along the way he ends up finding the truth of the Hollow Earth Theory and making some new friends.
Ronald
May 03, 2016 Ronald rated it really liked it
read SOMETIME in 1997
Kayla
Oct 10, 2010 Kayla rated it it was amazing
This lived up to all of my expectations because it was like watching one of the Indiana Jones movies.
Myil Pulgo
Apr 17, 2014 Myil Pulgo rated it really liked it
My first novel...
Andrew Warner
Andrew Warner rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Kendall Moore
Kendall Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
S
S rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Darrell Spradlyn
Darrell Spradlyn rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Brad Heisler
Brad Heisler marked it as to-read
Donald Finch Jr
Donald Finch Jr marked it as to-read
Robert Miller
Robert Miller marked it as to-read
Celeste
Celeste marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Ben Tarver
Ben Tarver marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
  • Indiana Jones and the White Witch (Indiana Jones: Prequels #8)
  • Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge (Indiana Jones: Prequels #4)
  • Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead (Indiana Jones: Prequels #13)
  • The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Indiana Jones #2)
  • Indiana Jones Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Indiana Jones Omnibus Vol. 2
  • Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (Indiana Jones #1)
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Indiana Jones #4)
  • Florida Firefight (Hawker, #1)
  • The Complete Making of Indiana Jones: The Definitive Story Behind All Four Films
  • Back to the Future, Part 3
  • Hunt at the Well of Eternity (Gabriel Hunt, #1)
  • Burn Notice: The Giveaway (Burn Notice, #3)
  • From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives
  • The Project
  • The Indiana Jones Handbook

Indiana Jones: Prequels (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi (Indiana Jones: Prequels #1)
  • Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants (Indiana Jones: Prequels #2)
  • Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils  (Indiana Jones: Prequels #3)
  • Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge (Indiana Jones: Prequels #4)
  • Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy (Indiana Jones: Prequels #5)
  • Indiana Jones and the Interior World (Indiana Jones: Prequels #6)
  • Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates (Indiana Jones: Prequels #7)
  • Indiana Jones and the White Witch (Indiana Jones: Prequels #8)
  • Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone (Indiana Jones: Prequels #9)
  • Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs (Indiana Jones: Prequels #10)