Start by marking “City of Your Final Destination” as Want to Read:
City of Your Final Destination

City of Your Final Destination

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,004 Ratings  ·  155 Reviews
This startling, beautiful novel set in South America explores the mysterious concepts of love and home. Omar has won an award to write the authorised biography of a celebrated yet obscure writer, Jules Gund, author of The Gondola. It only remains for him to obtain permission from Gund's literary executors: his widow, his mistress and his brother. Their lives still revolve ...more
Published May 5th 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about City of Your Final Destination, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Your Final Destination

jo
Oct 23, 2010 jo rated it liked it
just like peter cameron's more recent Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You, this is an extremely sweet book. the protagonist is a rather lost 28-year-old graduate student in some university in kansas who has decided to write as his dissertation the authorized biography of a fairly obscure, recently-dead author and has received a generous scholarship for this endeavor (the caricature of academia won't be lost on most readers). unfortunately, he didn't make sure, first, that the authorization w ...more
Sub_zero
Jul 12, 2015 Sub_zero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reto-2015
Los libros de Cameron se leen como el discurso tambaleante de un adolescente con problemas de autoestima. A veces no sabes muy bien lo que quiere decir. A veces cuesta arrancarle las palabras adecuadas. Sus historias están labradas en el incómodo silencio de quien precisa andarse un buen rato por las ramas antes de soltar una revelación brutal. Sin embargo, todos esos escollos presentes en el canal comunicativo derivan en un magistral estudio de campo sobre las relaciones interpersonales que sol ...more
Silvia Sirea
May 12, 2016 Silvia Sirea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La luce di questo romanzo, che potrei definire magica, è evidente sin dalle prime pagine. Anzi, già il titolo stesso - quello italiano, almeno - la incorpora e ne suggerisce il senso.
La prosa di Peter Cameron è melodiosa e rassicurante, i dialoghi sono arguti e brillanti. Arricchiscono una trama dalla struttura semplice che però non viene resa affatto banale.

Omar è un giovane e insicuro dottorando dell'Università del Kansas al quale viene affidato il compito di scrivere una biografia su Jules Gu
Silvia Iaia
May 23, 2015 Silvia Iaia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Da tempo non leggevo un romanzo così delicato nello stile e arguto nei dialoghi (Adam é un genio!). Una bella storia sul coraggio di partire, cambiare idea e cambiare la propria vita, a volte anche al costo di lasciar andare la persona amata!
Corey
Sep 30, 2008 Corey rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, involving and witty and smart and just a little left of center. Now I must find everything else by Cameron and read them all.
Jessica
Jan 19, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literary-fiction
A beautiful novel: lush, poignant, perceptive, funny.
Sakura87
Sullo sfondo di un Uruguay spazzato dal vento estivo di una sera di gennaio, Omar Razaghi, giovane studioso di letteratura, arriva nella sperduta e fatiscente dimora di Ochos Ríos. La sua borsa di studio è legata alla biografia di Jules Gund, autore di un capolavoro trascurato, la cui autorizzazione gli è stata negata via lettera dai suoi eredi testamentari.
La passività di Omar lo avrebbe rassegnato a rinunciare al suo lavoro e al suo assegno di ricerca se la fidanzata Deirdre non lo avesse spro
Valentina
Jul 14, 2016 Valentina rated it really liked it
This is my second Peter Cameron's novel, and I am not disappointed at all.

The story is about Omar, a guy who gets a scholarship to write a biography about Jules Gund, a dead writer. The problem is that he needs the authorization of his family, and they deny it. So he leaves for Uruguay, which is the place where the writer's family lives, to make them change their mind.

The characters' struggles and behaviors are all seen by a cyinic and realistic point of view, which aims to lay them bare.

It deal
Katrina
Nov 29, 2014 Katrina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I can't quite pinpoint what attracted me to this story, yet I found myself eager to return to it each time I had to put it down to attend to real life. It's hardly action packed, and is truly a character driven novel in the truest sense. I think that's what intrigued me; I know it's completely voyeuristic, but I loved observing the characters and eavesdropping on their conversations. My criticism is that each of the characters *felt* like characters in a story. I couldn't really lose myself in t ...more
Alessandro
Dec 25, 2008 Alessandro rated it it was amazing
This is Peter Cameron's most widely acclaimed book, so after reading (and appreciating) Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You I was eager to read it.

And I found that most of the praise was well-deserved. Personally, I would have devoted some more lines to the characterization of Omar Razaghi, but this is only a minor flaw when compared to the mirable structure of the book and its memorable characters: Caroline and Adam Gund, above all.

I highly recommend it.
Lara
Jun 27, 2007 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Katie
Wonderful characters. My favorite thing about this book was the mysterious verse written inside the front cover, and the receipt from a Laguna Beach book store, which led me on my own miniature mystery.

"In this fleeting moment
what extravagant respite
as promethean sunsets
blossom, blaze and secede
from splendor to mystery.

In this fleeting moment
what extravangant respite
as booming surf speaks its
mystical passage across
the undreamed depths."
Duane Turner
Apr 26, 2009 Duane Turner rated it it was amazing
Woderful book that totally involes you with characters you wish could continue to spend time with as part of a long series. I can't wait to read his other books but hope their is a sequel to this one. Each character is revealed in such a gentle natural way you are drawn into their world rather than having them explained to you.
Ken
May 26, 2008 Ken rated it it was amazing
starts simply and broadens into a work of unusual depth. is he our modern-day woolf?
Adam
Jan 05, 2016 Adam rated it did not like it
Ugh, burned by this author again! An indecisive love story... the worse kinds of "love" story

Movie was better, everything Laura Linney touches turns to gold ✨
MishyJo
Jun 06, 2014 MishyJo rated it really liked it
Recommended to MishyJo by: Nick Pageant
Shelves: nick-books
I don't know what to say about this book. It was way outside what I normally read. But it had a message for me. I will tell you about it later. When I figure it out.
Joy H.
Mar 14, 2017 Joy H. marked it as watched-film-only
Added 3/14/17. I didn't read this book. I watched a film adaptation.

Below is the post I wrote about this story at my Goodreads group:
============================
Once more I searched (in vain) for a good movie to stream. Anthony Hopkins sounded like a good bet. So I watched:
"The City of Your Final Destination" (2009) Cast: Anthony Hopkins, Laura Linney...

I found it to be as dull as the title sounds. Bad bet.

Adapted fr
Beverly
Jan 17, 2016 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a recommendation by Reading Group Choices back in 2004. I'd never even heard of the book but the description was interesting so I decided to give it a shot. Although there is no suspense, intrigue, or wild adventure I was enthralled. It is just a nicely paced story about a young man who wants to write a biography and what happens to his life because of it. Omar Razaghi is a doctoral candidate at the University of Kansas and has obtained a grant to write a book. He wants to write an ...more
Debbie
Dec 01, 2007 Debbie rated it it was amazing
I love Cameron's style, his humor and ability to create subtle nuance with story and character.

A fumbling, lovable, spacey, academic wishes to write a biography of a novelist from Uruguay with only one novel to his name. Unfortunately the biographer had applied for the fellowship without getting the required family authorization, and the family rejects his offer. So off he goes to Uruguay to try to convince them to change their minds, pushed along by his frustrated and bossy girlfriend.

What he
Simona
May 11, 2013 Simona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una lettera fa da apripista a questo romanzo, una lettera che cambierà i destini di molti personaggi.
Questo romanzo di Peter Cameron si snoda intorno alla figura di Omar Ranzaghi, di origini iraniane che vive nel Kansas e che decide di scrivere la biografia del compianto Jules Gund, uno scrittore il cui unico libro ha avuto un grande successo. Una biografia che lo porterà a Ochos Rìos, in Uruguay e che scatenerà molti dissidi tra la moglia Caroline, pittrice fallita, Arden, l'amante che per una
lia
Feb 14, 2008 lia rated it really liked it
Hum, the life of academics..this is the story of a young teacher, awarded a fellowship to write the biography of an obscure writer. He accepts the fellowship--falsely stating that he has the permission of the estate of the dead author..his brother, wife and mistress all living in Uruguay. After finding out the family certainly does not grant permission, this up to now meek Kansas Ph.d student gets on a plane to change their minds. The writing is lovely, but sometimes too self aware somehow..and ...more
Thais
Oct 31, 2013 Thais rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi rendo conto di non avergli potuto dedicare tutta l'attenzione che forse meritava, ma mi aspettavo qualcosa in più. L'ambientazione è interessante e l'espediente di portare avanti la narrazione quasi escusivamente grazie ai dialoghi è ben studiata (anche se forse qualche battuta si poteva tagliare). I personaggi evolvono ma la storia a mio avviso non riesce ad appassionare, lasciando qualche interrogativo. Mi sono impantanata nella parte centrale, che ho trovato un po' noiosa, mentre verso la ...more
Jen
Oct 31, 2009 Jen rated it liked it
The whole first half of this book I was bothered. By the sense that the it was more a screenplay than a novel, that Cameron was writing this in order for a movie to eventually be made. By what seemed a sort of contrived, Gothic setting, and by the way that none of the characters used contractions in their speech ("I am" instead of "I'm"). But it grew on me. Toward the middle of the book I started to laugh out loud at a lot of the things that came out of the ascerbic mouth of Adam Gund. And obvio ...more
Becky
May 26, 2010 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I feel very grateful to have won this in a Goodreads giveaway. It was the perfect book for a plane ride, which is where I read it: a reasonable length (300 pages), with an engaging plot and characters (grad student travels to Uruguay to convince a dead author's widow, mistress, and brother to allow him to write a biography). The characters' lives are all altered by this turn of events, and the resolution is satisfying. Finally, the writing is great -- witty dialogue, insightful yet easy-to-read ...more
Gretchen
Oct 26, 2008 Gretchen rated it really liked it
This book was a recommendation from my friend Allen. It is short -- a quick read. I enjoyed it a lot though. Some very interesting characters. The main character is quite passive, but in an endearing way. You sort of want to protect him from the people around him. And, as it says on the flap, the book has a very satisfying ending.
Kim
May 10, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kim by: Bdveazey
Great book for those in academia as it illustrates the kind of stuff you have to do be "successful" (lose touch with loved ones, be tempted to do immoral things, go to great lengths to "complete" something). Ultimately, it's a great love story.
Barbara
Aug 20, 2007 Barbara rated it really liked it
I'm not sure why I liked this book so much, because nothing much happens, but I think it was beautifully written and I was completely absorbed in the story. I still have images of it 3 years after reading it.
Alex Pler
Jul 30, 2015 Alex Pler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Los mejores libros son aquellos de los que no esperas nada, incluso de entrada te provoca cierta pereza su temática. Son esos los que más te sorprenden y te atrapan de una forma única.

¡Cuántas veces tienes que equivocarte antes de llegar a la ciudad de tu destino!
Maggie Leschuk
Dec 08, 2007 Maggie Leschuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent slice of life novel. I usually read these indepth 600 pagers so it was a nice change of pace to read a book that life a lot of questions for the reader to think about. I think I'm going to add Peter Cameron to list of favorite authors.
Lori Ann
Apr 02, 2007 Lori Ann rated it really liked it
Great characters, satisfying story line, real page-turner (for me). Great sense of place--a lot of it takes place in Uruguay.
Jgknobler
Dec 10, 2009 Jgknobler rated it it was amazing
A funny and moving novel about a hapless graduate student who travels to Uruguay to try to convince a writer's heirs and executors to permit an authorized biography.
La Stamberga dei ...: Quella sera dorata di Peter Cameron 1 3 Dec 12, 2014 03:24AM
  • The Fisher King: A Novel
  • La leggenda di Earthsea
  • The Mother's Recompense
  • Il coraggio del pettirosso
  • La ballata di Iza

Peter Cameron (b. 1959) is an award-winning novelist and short story writer. Born in Pompton Plains, New Jersey, he moved to New York City after graduating college in 1982. Cameron began publishing stories in the New Yorker one year later. His numerous award-winning storie
More about Peter Cameron...

“You're so young... Are you sure that's what you want your life to be, forever and ever? That job? That career? That girlfriend?” 5 likes
“I like life. I would not want to live forever, but for a little while, life is fine.” 1 likes