Start by marking “Too Many Kangaroo Things to Do!” as Want to Read:
Too Many Kangaroo Things to Do!

Too Many Kangaroo Things to Do! (MathStart: Level 3)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  14 reviews
It’s Kangaroo’s birthday, but no one will play with him: not the emu, the platypuses, the koalas, or even the dingos. They all have too many things to do. What exactly are they doing? They’re using multiplication to figure out just how many things they have to do to plan a big surprise for Kangaroo! Best Children’s Science Books 1997 (Science Books and Films)
Published July 19th 1996 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Too Many Kangaroo Things to Do!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Many Kangaroo Things to Do!

Vivian
This is a "mathstart" story. However, for the purposes of a pre-school story time I ignored the "math" aspects and focused on introducing "outback" wildlife. It's kangaroo's birthday and he systematically invites his friends the emu, the platypus, the koala, and the dingo to play with him. They're all too busy baking and tasting and wrapping and decorating (all of which activities invite making motions with the children).

Acting out story elements with motions is key to keeping a group of young c
Dolly
Oct 08, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens, birthday, math
This is another fun story in the MathStart series by Stuart J. Murphy. We like these books; they incorporate math principles into the story and show how math is fun and necessary for everyday life.

This is a great way to introduce the concept of multiplication. The story is fairly predictable, but fun and the illustrations are terrific. Our girls insist that we must make the fruit punch soon! We really enjoyed reading this together and discussing the math concepts. Terrific!
Whitney Bailey
This book is very interactive for students to be read to during math time.

This book expresses a story using multiplication and I actually found it in the math tech support area in the book room at the elementary school.

Murphy shows great illustrations and ways for students to understand and physically see multiplication being used.

MULTIPLICATION

This type of book can be taught during a unit dealing with "fiction" stories/books. This book could be read to grades to allow them to see a creative
Kirei
This book teaches multiplication. The kangaroo goes to one animal and that animals tells what he has to do. The book shows the math problems: 1X1=1 1X2=2 1X3=3 1X4=4 Then the kangaroo goes to two animals and they tell what they have to do. 2X1=1 2X2=4 and so on. Everything is related to a party and it is revealed at the end all the animals had been preparing a surprise party for the kangaroo.

One nice thing is that all the animals are Australian animals, so I think it takes place in Australia.
Heather
This was a great little book to introduce beginning multiplication (1-4, starting with 1x1 and ending with 4x4). Good illustrations to support - for example 2x2 has two groups of two items. It's a cute story too.

My 8-year-olds enjoyed it as did my 4-year-old. I heard the 4-yr-old walking around later "4 boys times 2 cars equals 8 things), totally making up his own problems.

We'll try to do some extension/hands-on problems with this book.

Jayetta Carter-mcfarlin
This is a Level 3 book emphasizing multiplication. However, I could put this book to good use in grades K - 2. It has a great story line with a plot and characters and settings for language arts studies. It shows multiplication as repeated addition. Sets,groups, and computations with money can be taught with this book. Multipliple possiblities of lesson plans can be made from the use of this book.
Maxwoodliff
This is an excellent book for students that are just starting to learn multiplication. It provides a good story for their children to learn initial multiplication. I would use this for 2nd or 3rd graders that are starting to learn multiplication tables. I could use the story as word problems in class and ask my students to solve the problems.
Alison Tripp
Such a cute story that I would reccomend it for early ages. They won't get the math in it right away but it is good exposure to multiplication and addition and the story can be used in later years by students working on these concepts. Lesson plan ideas written in the back!
Cya
Nov 21, 2011 Cya added it
Shelves: math, problem-solving
This book uses multiplication to figure out how many things Kangaroo's friends can plan for his birthday. It is another great book from the MathStart series. I would use this book to introduce beginning multiplication with small numbers.
Michelle Carter
Used this book to introduce my math centers on multiplication. Sad kangaroo thinks everyone has forgotten his birthday, but they are actually working together to plan a great party.
Azriana Johnson
This book has an interesting story line. It shows multiplication as repeated addition. Also sets and groups can be taught with this book.
Eugene Magee
Colorful book to read. It can assist someone in teaching a young learner how to multiply.
Michael D.
Great book for teaching students how to multiply, count to 100 by tens.
Sally
Well-presented story about multiplication, and sweet to boot.
Michele Chalice
Michele Chalice marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Erica
Erica added it
May 12, 2015
Ltucker
Ltucker marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Julie
Julie added it
Apr 15, 2015
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
PICTURES & WORDS, STORIES & BOOKS
MathStart http://www.mathstart.net
I See I Learn http://www.iseeilearn.com

I was one of those kids who talked all the time in class. I loved telling stories. One day in the 4th Grade, my teacher said, “You tell such good stories, maybe you should try writing some of them down.” “Wow,” I thought. “She thinks my stories are good.” That’s when I started to real
More about Stuart J. Murphy...

MathStart: Level 3 (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Ready, Set, Hop!
  • Betcha! Estimating (Mathstart, Level 3)
  • Divide and Ride
  • The Penny Pot
  • Lemonade for Sale
  • Jump, Kangaroo, Jump!
  • Room for Ripley
  • Game Time!
  • Dinosaur Deals
  • Shark Swimathon
Give Me Half! (MathStart Level 2) The Penny Pot Lemonade for Sale Divide and Ride Just Enough Carrots