Start by marking “Corduroy's Best Halloween Ever!” as Want to Read:
Corduroy's Best Halloween Ever!

Corduroy's Best Halloween Ever! (Corduroy)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  518 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Halloween is almost here, and Corduroy can't wait! He is going to have a party. He and his friends will carve a jack-o'-lantern, bob for apples, and go trick-or-treating! But there is one problem-Corduroy needs to choose a costume. What will he wear?
Published August 6th 2001 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published August 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Corduroy's Best Halloween Ever!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corduroy's Best Halloween Ever!

The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainRoom on the Broom by Julia DonaldsonScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
Best Halloween Picture Books
70th out of 230 books — 298 voters
The Halloween Tree by Ray BradburyGods of The Nowhere by James TipperSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyDracula by Bram StokerThe Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Bo Hampton
Best Halloween Books
280th out of 347 books — 413 voters

More lists with this book...

Gary Masskin
Caution: whilst the book states that this work is based on the creation of Don Freeman, the writer of this story is NOT actually named.

There is not much of a story arc in the sense that Corduroy (nor any of the other characters) are changed in any way. The (unknown) writer must have known how weak their resolution was, as they attempt to convince the reader (and possibly themselves) by "telling" us how creative it was. I am also not happy with the behaviour this story promotes; generosity is on
Chelsey Combs
This book was so cute. It's about a bunch of friends who get together for a Halloween party, and everyone had a costume except for Couduroy. He improvised and was able to get a costume by party time, but his friends costume had broke into pieces. Corduory was nice enough to give his costume to his friend even though he didn't have anything else to wear. By the end of the party he discovered he could make himself a ghost costume and still enjoy the night with the rest of his friends.
Josiah
I was surprised by the quality of this book, which was written based on Don Freeman's beloved character, Corduroy.
In essence, this is a Halloween story for very small ones, but the author doesn't play down to the younger set with a a story that is all colorful pictures and no substance. There are some really nice lines to provoke thought, here, my favorite of which is when Corduroy muses that "friends are more important than costumes."
I really like this book.
Genny Flett
This was one of my favorite stories growing up! In this story, Corduroy and his friends are having a Halloween party but Corduroy doesn't know what to wear. He finally ends up making a costume and then his friends costume breaks. So Corduroy decides to be a good friend and give him his.

Good book for selflessness or Halloween.
Modboy
A sweet story with friendly characters. Maybe because it's so inferior to the original, Corduroy, I just wasn't too impressed. My son, in Kindergarten, enjoyed but the writing seems more suitable for pre-schoolers.
Meg McGregor
Finally a Halloween story that highlights all the fun parts of Halloween:
apple bobbing, going to a Halloween party, decorating, making a costume, and of course going out for tricks or treats!

Leave it to Corduroy to remember that friends are more important than costumes!
Carolyn
Cute and teaches selflessness, but a bit cliche and I don't like that Corduroy kind-of lies to his friend in the process of helping him. I also don't know how to explain "ghosts" to my 3-yr-old. We still read it - just not my favorite fall children's book.
Powers Family
Cute Halloween story. Good message about helping out a friend.
Ckolleen
A cute story of Corduroy picking out a halloween costume to wear.
Melissa Locke
My son loves this book and we read it all year round.
Brandi Streeval
read this to my daughter she loves Corduroy
Linda Regalado
Linda Regalado marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Alyssa Collins
Alyssa Collins marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Demitrice Andrade
Demitrice Andrade marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
  • It's Halloween
  • The Night Before Halloween
  • The Runaway Pumpkin
  • There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves!
  • The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin (with CD)
  • Mouse's First Halloween
  • It's Pumpkin Time!
  • The Littlest Pumpkin
  • Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks
20730
Don Freeman was a painter, printmaker, cartoonist, children's book author, and illustrator. He was born in San Diego, California, attended high school in Missouri, and later moved to New York City where he studied etching with John Sloan.
Frequent subjects included Broadway theatre, politics, and the circus. He was also a jazz musician, and the brother of circus entrepreneur Randy Freeman.

More about Don Freeman...
Corduroy A Pocket for Corduroy Dandelion A Rainbow of My Own Quiet! There's a Canary in the Library