Start by marking “Eat My Words: Reading Women's Lives Through the Cookbooks They Wrote” as Want to Read:
Eat My Words: Reading Women's Lives Through the Cookbooks They Wrote

Eat My Words: Reading Women's Lives Through the Cookbooks They Wrote

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Some people think that a cookbook is just a collection of recipes for dishes that feed the body. In Eat My Words: Reading Women's Lives through the Cookbooks They Wrote, Janet Theophano shows that cookbooks provide food for the mind and the soul as well. Looking beyond the ingredients and instructions, she shows how women have used cookbooks to assert their individuality, ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Palgrave Macmillan Trade (first published February 9th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Eat My Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat My Words

Kerith
Really really interesting premise, but dry as a bone.
Laura Cushing
An exploration of women's cookbooks throughout history, and what they say about the women who wrote them. Coookbooks handwritten by individuals ,self-published by groups, and professionally published are all examined. Many different kinds of cuisine and heritages, social standings, and so forth. It's interesting to see how women from long ago had some of the same desires and dreams and concerns that we do today - they wanted to make good meals for their family, entertain their friends, and learn ...more
Deb
I want to say that I loved this one...in parts I certainly did...but it was a bit dry. The idea though that cookbooks tell us so much about their owners is exciting....that such complex stories can be told by notations and scraps tucked into an old cookery book might not have been a fully clear idea to me before, though obvious in hindsight. How the author clearly loved her research, and found such personality in each piece she discovered, is beautiful...I do wish though that she had gone a litt ...more
Heather G
This was a terrific social history of women's roles and impact through foodways. I had no idea cookbooks were such rich historical fodder! I came away thinking about my own cookbook legacy.... That said, this book is a somewhat academic read. For those who appreciate thorough archival and historical research, you won't be disappointed.
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Thoroughly researched academic work on early cookbooks, presenting these as women's avenue to self esteem, self expression, memoir and creativity. Photographs of manuscripts and personal notebooks from 1800s give insight into women's minds and daily life.

Invaluable research work in the history of food, women's studies and Americana.

Extensively annotated and footnoted, there is also a very long bibliography for additional reading. The book's typeface is faint and hard to read and the text is sma
Niya B
The concept of the text is a fascinating one and the authors thesis that cookbooks have been and continue to be a tool that further's women's literacy, progress to achieve equal footing, build community and establish themselves as credible experts is an excellent one. While the analysis of the roles these 'receipt' books played is an interesting one, it often quite dry and riddled with suppositions since there is a lack of primary and secondary source material. While the authors interest is tang ...more
Pancha
The information was interesting, but I was expecting something different and that made the reading less satisfying. Each chapter focused on a premise like "Cookbook as Community" and presented cookbooks that supported the premise. I think I would have preferred a more overarching narrative, more like a linear history of the cookbook dipping into the lives of the individual woman who wrote and used them.
Jessie
I had to read this for my archives class. Its a good premise but not well executed. The author covers a broad range of cookbooks, but doesn't really go into much depth on anything. I really wanted this book to be really awesome, but it was disappointing.
Gretchen
impressive volume that takes a look at 10+ specific cookbooks/personal cookery writings. highly recommended if you're interested in women's domestic history and the history of literacy/cookbooks.
Jan
Because of this book, I make sure I write in all of my cookbooks now. Women may not have written much in the history of the world, but their lives are most definitely in their cookbooks.
Andie
I agree with the previous reader who wanted a deeper exploration of the women whose writing Theophano studied. As is, it's a fairly superficial and repetitive read. I found it boring.
Patricia
Jan 24, 2009 Patricia is currently reading it
Also for my class. It's a little Professor Obvious in places but overall the argument really helps us understand cookbooks as a women-centered literary genre.
Started reading, but got sidetracked. it's about women who wrote cookbooks, i.e. food, so what's not to like?!
Holly Maurer
interesting in parts - but I could NOT finish this book! I felt like I was in college, reading a textbook!
Jennifer Payne
Eat My Words: Reading Women's Lives Through the Cookbooks They Wrote by Janet Theophano (2003)
Mary Jo
Mary Jo marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Sarra
Sarra marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Bethany Nelson
Bethany Nelson marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Kiery
Kiery marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Ashleigh
Ashleigh marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Aggienclara
Aggienclara marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Debra Hale-Shelton
Debra Hale-Shelton marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Amitydawn
Amitydawn marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Jes
Jes marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Michele Benchouk
Michele Benchouk marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove: A History of American Women Told through Food, Recipes, and Remembrances
  • From Hardtack to Homefries: An Uncommon History of American Cooks and Meals
  • Perfection Salad: Women and Cooking at the Turn of the Century (California Studies in Food and Culture, 24)
  • In Memory's Kitchen: A Legacy from the Women of Terezin
  • The Age of Homespun: Objects and Stories in the Creation of an American Myth
  • Six Thousand Years of Bread: Its Holy and Unholy History
  • City of Women: Sex and Class in New York, 1789-1860
  • Liberty's Daughters: The Revolutionary Experience of American Women, 1750 1800
  • "A" is for Abigail: An Almanac of Amazing American Women
  • Revolution at the Table: The Transformation of the American Diet (California Studies in Food and Culture, 7)
  • Never Done: A History of American Housework
  • Cuisine and Culture: A History of Food & People
  • The Victory Garden Cookbook
  • The Tasha Tudor Cookbook: Recipes and Reminiscences from Corgi Cottage
  • Laboring Women: Reproduction and Gender in New World Slavery
  • A Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier: Some Adventures, Dangers, and Sufferings of Joseph Plumb Martin
  • Apples for Jam: A Colorful Cookbook
  • 97 Orchard: An Edible History of Five Immigrant Families in One New York Tenement