Start by marking “Eat My Words: Reading Women's Lives Through the Cookbooks They Wrote” as Want to Read:
Eat My Words: Reading Women's Lives Through the Cookbooks They Wrote

Eat My Words: Reading Women's Lives Through the Cookbooks They Wrote

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Some people think that a cookbook is just a collection of recipes for dishes that feed the body. In Eat My Words: Reading Women's Lives through the Cookbooks They Wrote, Janet Theophano shows that cookbooks provide food for the mind and the soul as well. Looking beyond the ingredients and instructions, she shows how women have used cookbooks to assert their individuality, ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Palgrave Macmillan Trade (first published February 9th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Eat My Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat My Words

Kerith
Really really interesting premise, but dry as a bone.
Laura Cushing
An exploration of women's cookbooks throughout history, and what they say about the women who wrote them. Coookbooks handwritten by individuals ,self-published by groups, and professionally published are all examined. Many different kinds of cuisine and heritages, social standings, and so forth. It's interesting to see how women from long ago had some of the same desires and dreams and concerns that we do today - they wanted to make good meals for their family, entertain their friends, and learn ...more
Deb
I want to say that I loved this one...in parts I certainly did...but it was a bit dry. The idea though that cookbooks tell us so much about their owners is exciting....that such complex stories can be told by notations and scraps tucked into an old cookery book might not have been a fully clear idea to me before, though obvious in hindsight. How the author clearly loved her research, and found such personality in each piece she discovered, is beautiful...I do wish though that she had gone a litt ...more
Heather G
This was a terrific social history of women's roles and impact through foodways. I had no idea cookbooks were such rich historical fodder! I came away thinking about my own cookbook legacy.... That said, this book is a somewhat academic read. For those who appreciate thorough archival and historical research, you won't be disappointed.
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Thoroughly researched academic work on early cookbooks, presenting these as women's avenue to self esteem, self expression, memoir and creativity. Photographs of manuscripts and personal notebooks from 1800s give insight into women's minds and daily life.

Invaluable research work in the history of food, women's studies and Americana.

Extensively annotated and footnoted, there is also a very long bibliography for additional reading. The book's typeface is faint and hard to read and the text is sma
Niya B
The concept of the text is a fascinating one and the authors thesis that cookbooks have been and continue to be a tool that further's women's literacy, progress to achieve equal footing, build community and establish themselves as credible experts is an excellent one. While the analysis of the roles these 'receipt' books played is an interesting one, it often quite dry and riddled with suppositions since there is a lack of primary and secondary source material. While the authors interest is tang ...more
Pancha
The information was interesting, but I was expecting something different and that made the reading less satisfying. Each chapter focused on a premise like "Cookbook as Community" and presented cookbooks that supported the premise. I think I would have preferred a more overarching narrative, more like a linear history of the cookbook dipping into the lives of the individual woman who wrote and used them.
Jessie
I had to read this for my archives class. Its a good premise but not well executed. The author covers a broad range of cookbooks, but doesn't really go into much depth on anything. I really wanted this book to be really awesome, but it was disappointing.
Gretchen
impressive volume that takes a look at 10+ specific cookbooks/personal cookery writings. highly recommended if you're interested in women's domestic history and the history of literacy/cookbooks.
Jan
Because of this book, I make sure I write in all of my cookbooks now. Women may not have written much in the history of the world, but their lives are most definitely in their cookbooks.
Andie
I agree with the previous reader who wanted a deeper exploration of the women whose writing Theophano studied. As is, it's a fairly superficial and repetitive read. I found it boring.
Patricia
Jan 24, 2009 Patricia is currently reading it
Also for my class. It's a little Professor Obvious in places but overall the argument really helps us understand cookbooks as a women-centered literary genre.
Started reading, but got sidetracked. it's about women who wrote cookbooks, i.e. food, so what's not to like?!
Holly Maurer
interesting in parts - but I could NOT finish this book! I felt like I was in college, reading a textbook!
Jennifer Payne
Eat My Words: Reading Women's Lives Through the Cookbooks They Wrote by Janet Theophano (2003)
Echo
Echo marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Sue Williams
Sue Williams marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Mira Alecci
Mira Alecci marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
JeanneBee
JeanneBee marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Zoe Scrivener
Zoe Scrivener marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Clara
Clara marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Kendra Strand
Kendra Strand marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
  • A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove: A History of American Women Told through Food, Recipes, and Remembrances
  • In Memory's Kitchen: A Legacy from the Women of Terezin
  • Perfection Salad: Women and Cooking at the Turn of the Century (California Studies in Food and Culture, 24)
  • The Age of Homespun: Objects and Stories in the Creation of an American Myth
  • Never Done: A History of American Housework
  • Six Thousand Years of Bread: Its Holy and Unholy History
  • City of Women: Sex and Class in New York, 1789-1860
  • Revolution at the Table: The Transformation of the American Diet (California Studies in Food and Culture, 7)
  • "A" is for Abigail: An Almanac of Amazing American Women
  • Cuisine and Culture: A History of Food & People
  • The Tasha Tudor Cookbook: Recipes and Reminiscences from Corgi Cottage
  • Liberty's Daughters: The Revolutionary Experience of American Women, 1750 1800
  • Food: The History of Taste
  • "A Rich Spot Of Earth": Thomas Jefferson's Revolutionary Garden At Monticello
  • Miriam's Kitchen
  • More Work For Mother: The Ironies Of Household Technology From The Open Hearth To The Microwave
  • The Victory Garden Cookbook
  • Choice Cuts: A Savory Selection of Food Writing from Around the World and Throughout History