Start by marking “A Man of Means” as Want to Read:

- The Episode of the Landlady's Daughter / The Landlady's Daughter
- The Episode of the Financial Napoleon / The Bolt from the Blue
- The Episode of the Theatrical Venture
- The Episode of the Live Weekly
- The Episode of the Exiled Monarch / The Diverting Episode of the Exiled Monarch
- The Episode of the Hired
Published March 1st 2004 by Wildside Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about A Man of Means, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Man of Means

Nov 03, 2014 Sophie rated it liked it
Shelves: engels
Loved the ironic narration style, but every story follows the same story line. Felt sory for the way too naive Mr. Bleke who seems incapable of love and who would lead a happier life as a poor man than as a millionaire.
Jun 12, 2015 Usfromdk rated it liked it
One observation from the wiki seems relevant here: "The way he achieves riches without any great effort, and his quiet, unassuming ways, make him the direct opposite of Ukridge."

As I disliked the Ukridge stories it should thus perhaps come as no surprise that I liked the stories included in this collection. Despite being a gullible, impressionable idiot the protagonist (Roland Bleke) was not hard for me to like, and the emphasis throughout the stories on how to *avoid getting married* was a nic
May 16, 2013 Nick rated it liked it
An early Wodehouse about a poor, helpless soul that the world insists on treating gently-- in fact, getting him out of any scrape he gets into and handing him oodles of money to boot. It's charming, if it doesn't quite survive in our darker age. Nowadays the young feller would have his head handed to him on the proverbial platter of life, right? Or perhaps I'm too cynical for this friendly tale that maintains its belief in good luck and success despite one's best efforts to fail.
Jan 26, 2016 Shikha rated it it was amazing

A Man of Means is a collection of short stories written by P.G. Wodehouse and C.H. Bovill. These stories were first published in 1914 in a monthly magazine in the UK called The Strand – about the time of Wodehouse’s rather nascent work like The Little Nugget (1913) and Psmith, Journalist (1915). Since this book displays a style of humor very well associated with the latter Wodehouse novels but missing in both the Wodehouse novels from the same period, it might be the case that this novel was hea
Leonardo Etcheto
Feb 06, 2011 Leonardo Etcheto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting form of a series of stories following the bumbling brilliance of a lottery winner. All he wants is peace and quiet but he keeps getting imbroiled in chaos by his chivalrous treatment of women. I liked that it feels like the stories are going to be about how he gets taken for a ride, but they end up being about how it all works out at the end. Except when he tangles with the servants, they do take him for a ride.
P.G. Wodehouse's "A Man of Means" is a collection of six very short stories following the life of Roland Bleke. I found the first two stories to be very nice: Roland is a nice guy who's bumbling around and ends up with people who try to take advantage of him. Without even knowing this is happening, he ends up ahead in the situation. "Nice" pretty much summarizes these. But, the remaining four stories follow a monotonically decreasing path. In each, Roland does things he shouldn't, gets involved ...more
Sep 08, 2016 Vijay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The wodehouse magic is emerging, but one can see why these are the early shorts. Overall, a fun, light read :) The end was excellent!
Thom Swennes
Jun 06, 2013 Thom Swennes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fortunes often shine on those that least want or deserve it. Roland Bleke was just such a man. Working as a clerk in a retail establishment Roland was quite happy. He was afraid of any possible change in his fortunes or circumstances and in addressing this approached his employer with the unlikely statement, “My paycheck is too much”. This is the beginning of his unfortunate fortunes. A Man of Means is composed of six individual episodes.
- The Episode of the Landlady's Daughter / The Landlady's
Aug 18, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very pleased to find this free for my Kindle at Project Gutenberg. It's very early Wodehouse; six short stories that, apparently, appeared in magazine form. I had not realised until I started the second one that they all feature the same man - the rather hapless Roland Bleke, who appears first as a nervous 22-year-old clerk.

Bizarrely, we meet Roland when he is asking his boss for a salary decrease... he has apparently promised to marry his girlfriend when his salary reaches a certain leve
Jun 02, 2010 Brad rated it it was amazing
Early, early Wodehouse. This book is a collection of six short stories, each originally published individually in a magazine, about the titular character named Roland Bleke.
The young man who entered looked exactly like a second clerk in a provincial seed-merchant's office—which, strangely enough, he chanced to be. His chief characteristic was an intense ordinariness. He was a young man; and when you had said that of him you had said everything. There was nothing which you would have noticed abo
Pooja Pillai
Mar 08, 2014 Pooja Pillai rated it it was amazing
This is the most unusual Wodehouse that I have read, with characters that are far removed from the worlds of Jeeves and Blandings. That's what makes it so enjoyable, since the hero falls into one adventure after another and each is so different from what you would read in another more popular Wodehouse. But it's the ending that really got me, as our hero is left hanging. So unlike Wodehouse and yet so much fun!
Namitha Varma
Oct 28, 2015 Namitha Varma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour, short-stories
I've never found Wodehouse failing to entertain. This set of six short, interlinked stories follows Roland Bleke in his adventures after he wins a lottery. Imagine the usual conundrums of life and the entangled threads setting themselves in order at the end before a confused protagonist, and you have a Man of Means.
Alethea Hammer
Mar 04, 2016 Alethea Hammer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The hilarious misadventures of a hapless young man who can't seem to stop proposing to the wrong girl and regretting it. As we follow his progress from fiance to fiance, his remarkable luck seems to always rescue him. When you need a good laugh, you can always count on Wodehouse.
Mar 21, 2015 Anupam rated it really liked it
Like any other P.G. Wodehouse production, this one is full of sarcasm, wit and subtlety that will make you chuckle and laugh at the same time. P.G. Wodehouse is the fuel you need for your sarcasm, and A Man of Means adds to the fire brilliantly!
Virginia Ullrich-serna
May 01, 2016 Virginia Ullrich-serna rated it it was amazing
A quick 3 or 4 hour read of six short stories by P.G. WODEHOUSE. A young man that has a golden touch just when you think he's lost all. Fun short stories that reflect a less cynical age than ours.
Paul Servini
Sep 18, 2015 Paul Servini rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I've read some Wodehouse before and found it quite funny. And I really enjoyed the first two of these related stories. But then I realised they were more or less all the same and got quickly bored with them.
Mary Rempel
May 11, 2014 Mary Rempel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silly man gets into scrapes

A typical Wodehouse Romp, too fun, though it does make you wonder why the poor sap never learns. I would have liked to see him settled and happy at last.
Jan 25, 2015 Rishabhahm rated it liked it
A simple, feel good novel (like most PGW novels) with some hilarious dialogues and situations. This was, I think, originally a series of 6 stories (connected though) that he wrote for some newspaper, which was later on compiled as a single novel.
Jeff Crompton
Jul 27, 2014 Jeff Crompton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early Wodehouse, and unusual in structure - is it a novel, or six related short stories? No matter - it's entertaining, although obviously not up to the level of later Wodehouse.
Thomas Achord
Apr 10, 2016 Thomas Achord rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Classic Wodehouse. Small English lives. Trivial goings-on. Light-hearted. Hilarious and witty.
Jared Adams
Nov 03, 2015 Jared Adams rated it liked it
I liked listening to these stories and this author. Not overly complex to listen to and fun.
Jan 30, 2011 Ian rated it liked it
An early (1916) effort from The Master; it's only barely a novel, being cobbled together from six related short stories about a hapless schmo who repeatedly lucks into money, is beset by parasites and con artists hoping to separate him from it and by sheer dumb luck emerges from each scrape richer than before. Entertaining in its own right, but worth reading because you can see him working out the sort of plot mechanics that would drive his later works.
Mar 04, 2013 Agnieszka rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, comedy
I meant to read something more serious and important but this book fell into my e-reader and then I got sucked in.

If you like Wodehouse you'll like it. Light comedy and comedy in the classic sense that everyone gets married to the person they most deserve at the end. This is not, I duly note, a Jeeves and Wooster bit. These are (apparently) stand alone characters. It's nonetheless delightful and made me laugh out loud.
I listened to this audiobook at a free audiobook site, and I dearly loved the actor doing it. He was very english, very proper, and VERY good at being sarcastic. The entire 6 chapters of P.g. Wodehouse's novel are free, here; why don't you take a listen, too? It's fun!
Aug 16, 2011 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wodehouse
So Wodehouse could be funny when he wasn't writing about Wooster and Jeeves too. Very entertaining, and hasn't dated a bit, it seems to me. In fact, it's interesting to see how in 1916 new methods of advertisement could make Wodehouse cringe, and how they had their Bernie Madoffs too.

Very enjoyable read.
Dec 19, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Fun book! I didn't love it as much as some of Wodehouse's others, but still entertaining and brought a smile to my face.
Feb 24, 2013 Colin rated it liked it
This is an early, obscure Wodehouse novel, and very out of his usual pattern. The standard Wodehouse stage dude is usually to be found in a west end club or a country house, but here he dodges bullets and cadges a lift in a biplane. Even so, there are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments.
Aug 09, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it
Roland Bleke, the hapless lottery winner, repeatedly gets into scrapes, usually involving marriages he doesn't want to go through with, in this entertaining series of six short stories.

Very humourous and pleasingly redolent of gentler times.
Dec 15, 2013 Iris rated it liked it
A Man of Means is a collection of six serial stories concerning Roland Bleke. Roland has unusually good luck with money and unusually bad luck in women. These stories make for quick, entertaining reading.
Cedar Sanderson
May 14, 2012 Cedar Sanderson rated it liked it
Not his most amusing, this is a serial novel about the hapless Roland, who sets out to become poorer, and winds up with ever incresing wealth, and all the pitfalls it brings to him.
Madison Mega-Mara...: "A Man of Means" by P G Wodehouse 1 3 May 30, 2014 05:36PM
  • The Devil's Dictionary and Other Works
  • Told After Supper
  • History of Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt
  • Doctor Dolittle in the Moon (Doctor Dolittle, #8)
  • Crime And Punishment; The Gambler; Notes From The Underground
  • L'uomo medievale
  • The Benefactress
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • Itaca per sempre
  • Night's Knights
  • Singularity (The Archon Sequence #1)
  • June 30th, June 30th
  • Alarms and Discursions
  • Mother West Wind's Children
  • Falling for You
  • A Poet to His Beloved: The Early Love Poems of W.B. Yeats
  • An Essay on Man
  • Roads of Destiny
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...

“All his life he had had a horror of definite appointments. An invitation to tea a week ahead had been enough to poison life for him. He was one of those young men whose souls revolt at the thought of planning out any definite step. He could do things on the spur of the moment, but plans made him lose his nerve.” 2 likes
“There, my boy," he said. "It's awfully kind of you, Mr. Windlebird." "My dear boy, don't mention it. If you're satisfied, I'm sure I am." Mr. Windlebird always spoke the truth when he could. He spoke it now.” 2 likes