Start by marking “Deadfall” as Want to Read:
Deadfall

Deadfall (John Hutchinson #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  779 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Deep in the isolated Northwest Territories, four friends are on the trip of a lifetime. Dropped by helicopter into the remote Canadian wilderness, Hutch, Terry, Phil, and David are looking to escape the events of a tumultuous year - a bitter divorce, bankruptcy, depression, and job loss - for two weeks of hunting, fishing, and camping.

Armed only with a bow and arrow and th...more
Audio CD, 11 pages
Published November 6th 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Deadfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadfall

Jackie
This book really deserved a bit more - perhaps 2 1/2 stars. It was a thriller / almost horror book because of the evil of a couple of the characters. That said, I couldn't put it down. I wanted to keep reading it, and I guess that would make it a successful book. I was most impressed by the author's refusal to use foul language. That is so prevalent today, and there was nary a swear word in this book. His strong family values shone clearly throughout and I got the impression that the author is a...more
Keiki Hendrix
“Four friends, beautiful scenery,
and a high tech satellite weapon
in the hands of indulgent, maniacal teenagers.”

In “Comes a Horseman“, I was intrigued. In “Germ“, I was astonished. In “Deadfall (A John Hutchinson Novel)“, I am hooked. Robert Liparulo has become one of my favorite authors.

All three Liparulo’s novels have the key elements that make for a fine suspense thriller; thorough research, educating the reader as well as entertaining them; descriptive and engaging scenery as well as charact...more
Bruce Judisch
Don’t start this book unless you’ve got plenty of time on your hands, ‘cuz you won’t be putting it down any time soon.

In Deadfall, Mr. Liparulo delivers an intense, captivating thriller that nails you to your seat from the first chapter all the way until you come to a screeching halt at the back cover. Indeed, after the first couple of chapters, I seriously wondered if I would continue or set it aside. I’m glad I continued.

Set in the far northern reaches of the Northwest Territories, Deadfall dr...more
Vivienne
Really, the best part of this book is the "Charlie's Angels" posing on the cover. The good guys are good, the bad guys are as murderously evil as the first 40 pages are murderously tedious.

And, nit-picking a bit, the back cover specifies the lads are to be dropped "deep in the isolated Northwest Territories" but instead go to northern Saskatchewan. Sad.

I thought this was going to be a great read to recommend to co-workers as we all get "dropped by helicopter into the remote Canadian wilderness"...more
Andrew Buck  Michael
After taking a hiatus from reading due to a busy lifestyle, a book like this changed my outlook on daily reading. The book started off with a scenic start in the Canadian countryside to lay the groundwork, and about a third through the book you hit a climax and it continued to slowly build even more. By the time you reach the last third of the book, it doesn't matter where you are going, you take the book to read a page here, a page there.... Excellent...

The only one downside to the book is the...more
Trina
This book caught me by surprise on my library shelf. What brought it to my attention was the way the title was printed on the book. I thought at first it was going to be a Zombie Thriller and started to read it. After the first couple of chapters I realized it wasn't but still was intrigued. I then had to check it out still. It took me a week to read but only because I came to parts where my emotions got to me. It's a book that you don't want to put down unless you get really really into the boo...more
Jeffrey
I really enjoyed Robert Liparulo's Deadfall. It is a really intense adventure with wonderful main characters. The friendship of four men struggling through the challenges of life anchors this story. The character development of these four friends is fantastic. My closest friends are men like these: good men, not perfect, but good nevertheless. I really felt connected to these four men.

The emotional impact of the violence is spot on. Liparulo developed some wonderful characters that died too earl...more
Gloria
Aug 17, 2014 Gloria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone; Technophiles; Hard-core gamers
A straight thriller featuring John Hutchinson, referred to as Hutch throughout the book.

The book starts off with a fast car chase through the Canadian back woods. The group chasing then capture the townsfolk, and proceed to experiment with advanced weapons.

Hutch and three friends went to the Canadian wilderness to get away from it all - and found themselves being chased by the group. (view spoiler)...more
Symon
I've just finished Robert Liparulo's latest offering Deadfall, and I must say that it was an awesome read! Although it has no strong Christian message in it, it is full of Christian morals, and it tackles a very relevant issue which is sadly going under the rader of most people today... the effects of violent first-person shooters (video games) on our youth culture.

The story is action-packed, has great characters, and has a plausable plot that is not too far fetched. This is the second Liparulo...more
Deadfall is a well thought-out developed story. Liparulo obviously researched his ideas and wrote them well.
I had a little difficulty with this book despite its thought-provoking story. In places it seemed to drag a bit and I had to put the book down because I just couldn't seem to stick with it for too long. Sometimes it seems as though too much detail is given and there is just not enough plot movement.
I also had difficulty with the believability of the weapon. Although it is described in deta...more
Peter
Looking to escape from the turmoils of life, John Hutchinson and his closest friends decide to fly away from civilization, quite literally, to be dropped off in the most excluded part of the Canadian wilderness. A weekend of hunting, fishing, camping and relaxation. After being helicoptered out everything was seemingly going well. Hutchinson took the day early to get some hunting in, but things took a quick turn as he discovers a small group of youth. Hutchinson quickly learns however that this...more
Todd Greene
Feb 12, 2008 Todd Greene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults, teens
Four friends looking for some much needed downtime from the stresses and struggles of life are dropping off via helicopter into a remote area of the Canadian wilderness. Unknown to them, a madman and his naive followers are nearby. Not only do these nefarious folk have in their possession the most technologically advanced weapon known to man, but they hold a small town and it's residence in their grip as they film . . . mo-cap for a video game. It's up to one of the four friends to stop Declan a...more
Tori
This was the first book written by Liparulo that I ever read, and it's the book that made him become my faborite author. The story has just the right mix of horror, suspense, action, and character development. I highly recommend that if you are going to start reading books by Liparulo, you start with this one.
Cmking14
Deadfall made me think of the desensitizing of murder when it surrounds us on a daily basis. This book just happens to be about the playing of video games enacted on a small town with no outside contact. It was an interesting concept to ponder.
Rolf
Robert
I really liked this story and the way it was written was brilliant. Liparulo has no problem killing off a character that he has taken time to build up. This is one those rare writing skills that can actually add an extra zinger to the story as it unfolds. Another neat trick that he employs is that not everything pops up roses. This also adds another extra zesty pop to the whole kitty. Most writers will have it all pretty and everything falling into a certain order. Liparulo does not play that ga...more
Jennifer Biggs
such a great book. Kept me captivated and in utter shock through out. loveable characters can't wait to get a hold of book 2
Isaac
Dec 12, 2007 Isaac rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like Stephen King
Shelves: fiction, 2007
Deadfall was full of non-stop action from start to finish, but with some strong character work. The main characters: Hutch, Terry, Phil, and David were a little one dimensional to me, and very similar to those in the book Deliverance, but they had enough elements of believability, and likeability that it was easily forgiven. The cold and jaded, generation y, gamer/extreme sports villains were chilling, and dispassionate. Their leader was horrifying mix of apathy, new age religion, a tech worship...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
This book kept me hooked from beginning to end. I've never even heard of this author (sorry Robert!) until I saw the audiobook at the library and thought I'd check it out.

Pacing - excellent
Characters - believable, even the really evil ones.
plot - a little bit far fetched but I could see it happening.

I thought the book did what a thriller should do.

I don't know whether I should give it 4 or 5 stars so I'm going with 4. I don't think I'd read it again but I'll definitely read the sequel and more...more
Mike
So far the people who gave this book five stars are idiots. The writing is just plain dumb. It may be an insult to myself but I am a very amateur writer and this sounds like the kind of crap that I would write. Just throwing in pointless details to try to give the story some sort of credibility. Well the book can only get better from here I guess but even if it becomes the best remaining 3/4 of a book I've ever read it's still going to get three stars

... Yeah gave up, horrible book
Mark A Powell
Unlike most fiction, no character is safe -- there are several surprising injuries and/or deaths. Liparulo has a good sense of story, but relies too heavily on exposition to unveil motivation and backstory instead of using characters’ words and choices. The villains, while plausible, are not probable. Liparulo gives into genre clichés about three-quarters of the way through and from there the ending is clearly telegraphed to anyone who's read a book or seen a movie.
Gina
Very action-packed! Not my usual genre, but very well written with a real "page-turner" ending. I really enjoyed it and will definitely look to this author for future reads. :)
Gautam Surath
Robert paints a pretty picture especially of his locale. Some of his descriptions are really clean and educative. The pace is pretty good. These ingredients go on to make a nice little thriller. But the book is also about lot of missed opportunities. Its about not developing the characters. Its about not focusing enough on camaraderie. Its missing a whole lot of heart. The end result is a 50/50 score that you wish could have done more
Definitely not my genre, but it was good. I think men would really enjoy it...lots of action!
Michelle
This book was great. Of course I love everything Liparulo's written. He just has a way of creating a really complex, interesting story. He also kills off characters randomly, which is an interesting strategy, as you never know if a main character is going to make it to the end of the novel. Highly recommended to anyone who likes thrillers or suspense.
Dana
I read this book because I was told it would be like Ted Dekker. It did not disappoint! I liked the plot a lot, and also the unlikely heroes that arose during this towns defining moments! I just found out that it is part of a series, so I am looking forward to reading more from these characters that were so easy to believe and love!
Heather
This book was exciting from the very begining, it kept me on my feet and wondering what was going to happen next and how in the world it would last all the way to the end! It was not a dissapointment at the end either! It also was not predicible! I love Robert Liparulo's books and would reccomend this one to anyone! :)
Paula Vaughn
This was an awesome book. It had you engrossed with the charm of wilderness life and on the edge of your seat with all the action. There were characters you rooted for thru the entire book and those you despised. I was totally impressed with the work done by Robert Liparulo in this book. A definite must read!
Bryan
Loved this book and it was fun read. Page-turning and engaging throughout.

However, if you want "mostly believable," which this book tries to do, and which I like to read, this book pushes the limit too far. There are a lot of unlikely scenarios. If you can live with more of a fantasy, it works great.

• Scream
  • Field of Blood (Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy #1)
  • Plague Maker
  • Demon: A Memoir
  • Ghostwriter
  • The Watchers
  • The Ishbane Conspiracy
  • When the Day of Evil Comes (Day of Evil, #1)
  • Vanish
  • Merciless (Dominion Trilogy, #3)
Robert Liparulo's novels, Comes a Horseman, Germ, Deadfall Deadlock, The 13th Tribe, and The Judgment Stone,have received rave reviews. His short story "Kill Zone" is included in the anthology Thriller, edited by James Patterson. He is also the author of the best-selling young adult series DREAMHOUSE KINGS: House of Dark Shadows, Watcher in the Woods, Gatekeepers, Timescape, Whirlwind, and Frenzy....more
More about Robert Liparulo...
House of Dark Shadows (Dreamhouse Kings, #1) Watcher in the Woods (Dreamhouse Kings, #2) Gatekeepers (Dreamhouse Kings, #3) Timescape (Dreamhouse Kings, #4) Whirlwind (Dreamhouse Kings, #5)