Start by marking “A Southern Belle Primer, Or Why Princess Margaret Will Never Be A Kappa Kappa Gamma” as Want to Read:

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  432 ratings  ·  49 reviews
The Southern belle lives on, in a world of proprieties and protocols that would shame the Royal Family (and have). An uproarious guide to the manners, mores, and mystique of the legendary ladies of the South. What The Official Preppy Handbook did for the madras-and-penny-loafer set, A Southern Belle Primer does for the indestructible ladies from below the Mason-Dixon line.
Published August 1st 1991 by Main Street Books

Be the first to ask a question about A Southern Belle Primer, Or Why Princess Margaret Will Never Be A Kappa Kappa Gamma

Kerry
I have a lovely Southern belle co-worker who lent me her copy of this very funny book. Tips such as these are helpful:

"Want to know if someone is a real Southern belle? Just look in her cupboard. If she's got an iced tea pitcher and a deviled egg plate, you can bet she's as Southern as tomato aspic."

"My dear, this is something you must always remember. Your bosom can be fake. Your smile can be fake and your hair color can be fake. But your pearls and your silver must always be real."
- South Caro
Poppy
I have the original edition of this book, and the title used to read " ... Why Princess Margaret Will Never Be a Kappa Kappa Gamma." This means I'm much classier than these nouveau types who bought the reprinted edition.
Kate
Aug 18, 2010 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kate by: Terri Piacenti
Shelves: favorites
"First there's [Kappa:], then you get married, then there's Junior League, and then you die." Awesome!
Judi
This is a short read, adult picture book full of humorous looks into the reasons Southern Belles act the way they do. I had a friend (very Southern) tell me that those days have passed into history and life is different now, but I found plenty of evidence that attitudes and small habits continue to carry through the generations.
If you're from anywhere but the "South" and try to live there, you need this information. Heaven forbid you get labeled not just as a Yankee, but "tacky" as well. Save yo
Katherine
Another must read for young girls that introduces them to a world of what it means to be a Southern lady This book, although meant to be satirical, truely explains traditional Southern graces, which will no doubt soon be forgotten. It was amazing how my mom fit almost all the characteristics of a true Southern belle, as I always knew she was. Actually, this book can be enjoyed by all ages!
Lilia
Fun! Yes, much of this is how it is, some of it isn't (I grew up in Northern VA in the 70's and now live in Central VA, to give some perspective). But it all depends on "who your people are," where you live, and your age. Some of the traditions are lovely to uphold, others are not so nice. My favorite part is the section on "The Twelve Patterns of the Southern Silver Zodiac." I always adored my mom's silver, (and she's from way down south - South America!) and my grandmother's silver. My Oma Kat ...more
Noel
The piece on flatware? Totally me. I think this book may be why I joined a sorority, and own a deviled egg plate.
Stacie
Of course I like it...I'm a Kappa!
Suzanne Kittrell
Every Southern female should read this book and heed its advice. My cousin Beez gave this to me many years ago and I just unearthed it this past week - I had been searching for it and feared it was lost. But. . .if you ever need to know how and why those of us with Arkansas/Southern roots think we are so different from the rest of the country, then read this book. It is falling down, can't catch a breath, funny. It will tell you so much about all those "quirks" Southern women inherit and how imp ...more
Connie Anderson
One of the funniest books I've ever read. Not only for "Southern Belles," but for anyone who dares to be less than an authentic person. Interesting chapter on how the word "sweet" can be used to devastate, which can also apply to use of a variety of similar words as well, i.e. "kind," "nice," ... In an age where few people say what they mean and mean what they say, this book might just be a real examine of conscience for "Southern Belles" and "D* Yankees" alike!
Holly
Anyone born in the South or currently living here must read this book. It is hilarious and it will only take an hour or two at the most! Some of my favorites:
A Southern Belle's Ten Golden Rules- #5 Never date your sorority sister's ex-husband until at least there years after the divorce. You might need her to write your daughter a Kappa Kappa Gamma recommendation one day. Just remember it's a lot easier to find a new man that it is to get your daughter into Kappa.
A Southern Belle would rather wa
Amy
One of the best books on how Southerners think that I've ever read. I love that someone could live in a city/town for 90 years, pass away at the age of 92, and the obit will read "he/she was from ____________, though he/she moved to ___________ at the age of two." Because, no matter what, where you're from and where you live/died aren't the same thing. It's a very charming book and well worth the read.
Jennie
Yet another "Jennie is obsessed with the South" book - this one is hilarious, especially the stories of all the faus pas us non-Southerners commit. Like Fergie wearing white shoes in Texas in November - just not done, honey.
Loved it. Very funny.
I want to ask my grandma all kinds of questions now, just to find out for sure if this stuff is true.
Meg
Research for Miracle Worker... Believe it or not, those Southern Belles LIVE by a lot of this stuff TODAY! I still remember when someone in my Texas junior high school made fun of me for wearing white after Labor Day. It wasn't even a winter white! For shame. Guess I would never be a kappa gamma gamma, either.

Rick Segers
A fun little book. If you like something like this on southern culture you would also like "Having It Ya'll". It seals with more than just southern bells. I enjoyed this book. The only negative was the edition I was reading had rose colored print on a pink background and it was quite hard to read.
Kristina
I had a lot of fun with this book It's funny and educational, some in a "seriously?" kind of way. It makes me very glad I didn't grow up in the rigid structure of Southern Society and that my Phi Sig sisters are delightfully diverse. My Grandmother's DAR status is quite enough, thank you.
renie
No lie, there is a picture of my husband's Aunt Durden Moss in this book. And yes, she is wearing full length white kid gloves. Philip's grandmother, Margaret Moss, God rest her soul, definitely knew the secret to winning the Natchez, MS garden club wars as well.
Grant&Mimi
If you do not already have a favie silver pattern or know not to put dark meat in your chx salad then you just might need this. I learned all this stuff at Grand-mama's knee...(smothers a hysterical giggle if you think it is important and serious=^^=)
Kim
Got this as a gift from my sister-in-law. Wonder if she was trying to help this "lost in the south" Yankee! LOL.....veery funny read and most of it is still true! Hard to believe it but I saw and heard it with my own eyes.
L.
It was ok. Basic info about what makes a true Southern woman. I will never be a true Southern woman. Big hats frighten me, I do not likes my iced tea sweetened, and I do not own good silver and probably never will.
Christi
None of what I read was news to me, even though I might be considered "tacky" by a true Belle for only following a few of the "rules." Along with not owning a deviled egg plate. That book had me cracking up though!
Jamie
Funny and accurate, from the parts I'm familiar with. I'm not from a serious Belle area (South Louisiana) like Atlanta or Beaumont or something like that, but some of it still rings completely true.
Sandy
loved it... anyone southern it's a must read!! you can move away from the south, but you can never ever 'leave the south' or pull up those southern roots...but then who would want to do that????
Tilara
Such a cute and funny book! It is so much fun to read the customs that you have always followed, and to find out the heritage behind them! So much truth in such a small book!
Adalira Morningstar
I'm not sure how to respond to the fact I knew all of these silver patterns by name and sight. Apparently, my Mississippi roots run deeper than expected.
Jackson Burnett
Illumination comes from unexpected places.

Until I read this book, I never really understood my mother (now of blessed memory).

It's a fun read, too.
Sirpa Grierson
After living in Mississippi for four years, this book was my guidebook to Southern belles. Does your Grandmother have your silver pattern picked out at birth?
Erin C
Everyword is true! I adore this witty book that gives distinct insight to the culture of the American South. Y'all read it and enjoy!
Teresa Luneau
Just too true to be good! My best friend, who is from California, says that she never understood me until she read this book!
Kate
May 19, 2012 Kate rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: books
Reread. It's a pretty shallow take on the subject, and over 20 years old now; but it's still a good cure for homesickness!
  • Being Dead Is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide To Hosting the Perfect Funeral
  • Grits (Girls Raised in the South) Guide to Life
  • Suck Your Stomach in and Put Some Color On!: What Southern Mamas Tell Their Daughters that the Rest of Y'all Should Know Too
  • What Southern Women Know (That Every Woman Should): Timeless Secrets to Get Everything you Want in Love, Life, and Work
  • The Southern Belle's Handbook: Sissy LeBlanc's Rules to Live by
  • She Flew the Coop: A Novel Concerning Life, Death, Sex and Recipes in Limoges, Louisiana
  • We're Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle
  • Curses! Broiled Again!
  • Queen of the Turtle Derby and Other Southern Phenomena
  • Southern Ladies and Gentlemen
  • White Trash Cooking
  • Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in Southern Belle Hell
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • Sons of the Profits: There's No Business Like Grow Business. The Seattle Story, 1851-1901
  • girlfriends: Invisible Bonds, Enduring Ties
  • Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me: Lessons In Grace And Elegance
  • Daws: Shoal of Time
  • How to Be a Lady: A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy
New Times In The Old South: Or Why Scarlett's in Therapy & Tara's Going Condo New Times in the Old South What Is This World Coming To?: Or, My, How Time Flies When You're On Prozac A Southern Bell Primer