The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook: Stories and Recipes for Southerners and Would-Be Southerners

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  378 ratings  ·  31 reviews
From the "New York Times" food writers who defended lard and demystified gumbo comes a collection of exceptional southern recipes for everyday cooks. "The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook" tells the story of the brothers' culinary coming-of-age in Charleston how they triumphed over their northern roots and learned to cook southern without a southern grandmother. Here are recipe...more
Published October 23rd 2006 by W. W. Norton & Company

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
153rd out of 827 books — 829 voters
Baking by Dorie GreenspanFeast by Nigella LawsonCooking by James PetersonThe River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallThe Country Cooking of France by Anne Willan
James Beard Award Cookbooks2
26th out of 98 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Daniel
A real must-read for anyone from the South who has found themselves outside of the South, or at least a six hour drive from their grandmother's dining table. A great cookbook highlights important food traditions while developing the reader's own cooking abilities and tastes. The Lee Brothers do that almost perfectly, collecting recipes from all over the Southeast, explaining their dish histories, and suggesting their own take on classic meals. REQUIRED.
Ashley
Feb 09, 2010 Ashley added it
Ok, so who would think that you could "read" a cookbook? I know, but this one is wonderful. The Lee Bros. are two brothers (go figure) who originally hail from NYC but moved to Charleston, SC, when they were young teens. They then fell in love with Southern food, especially Low Country food. This book is a wonderful take on Southern food and culture. It is beautifully written and I want to make all the recipes!! I am in love with this book!!!
Brandon
During my tenure as a southerner living in LA, I discovered that if I wanted good southern food I had to make it myself. Unfortunately, I didn't really know how. Fortunately, this book was released that year. The Lee Brothers had once found themselves as southern transplants living in New York and developed their own style of cooking traditional favorites. They give you the southern staples as well as new takes on classic dishes.
Marc
I love this book. I've probably made 15-20 of the recipes, ranging from cocktails and cheese straws through chicken bog, country captain, and banana pudding ice cream. I have made a number of these repeatedly. They've almost all been great, and the recipes are well-written and -organized. This is up there among my top cookbooks, with Everyday Mexican, How to Cook Everything, and the various Vegetarian Epicures.
Vivian
As a transplanted southerner, I though that this book would interest me as I explored southern cuisine. However, I found that it seemed to have most of the same recipes that other cookbooks have. After reading through it a few times, I gave it away. I didn't find anything that I really wanted to cook from this book.
Laurie Graham
Another handsome cookbook that's more than. Southern recipes often make me feel I need to go brush my teeth, but in this instance the sugar overload is easily offset by the stories and background. I'd have given it 4 stars if it hadn't been too darned heavy to read in bed. Publishers please note.
Katie Le Blanc
Dec 25, 2007 Katie Le Blanc rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: foodies and wantabe's
If you like to drool over cookbooks and occasionally cook from one....this is the book for you. Full of great stories and anecdotes from two brothers who learned to cook after moving to the south as young boys from NYC. Equally mouthwatering and endearing- this is a wonderfully written cookbook!
joon
Beyond delightful. I want to live next door to the Lee Bros. You will, too. Bring a little sunshine into your life. This book will restore your faith in character, tradition, good manners, resiliency, hope, and the future of mankind. Irresistible. Absolutely. Let me know when you've read it.
Chambers Stevens
This is not really a Southern Cookbook as much as a Lowcountry Cookbook. And in opinion the best one on the market. The Lee Brothers know their stuff. Every year my family take a vacation to Edisto Island and we bring this cookbook and make many of the recipes.
Highly recommended.
Maggie
I am loving this book so far. I'll edit my review when I've read more, but for now, I'd say that this cookbook talks about what I aspire to in my own cooking - a connection with place, nurturing friends and family and strangers in a very real way, and telling great stories.
Aimee
FLUFFY BISCUITS! AMAZING CABBAGE! (and I don't usually like cabbage) Pork chops and pears. YUUUMMMM! Everything recipe I have made from this book has worked well. Clear, explicit, not recommended for vegetarians.
Autumn
Smart and respectful Southern cooking with a pronounced Charleston flavor. I love this book because 1)it notes the similarities between boiled peanuts and edamame and 2)it includes reciepts for two Cheerwine cocktails.
Kasey
I prefer more photos in a modern cookbook. Delicious sounding recipes, but most of them require more time than I'm able to put into cooking most the time. There are some great, simple ones though.
Brandi Koontz
For two New Yorkers who claim Charleston as their hometown (even though they were born in and live in New York) this is a fantastic resource.
Renee
Love the two options for fried chicken: one for Tuesday, one for Sunday. Definitely double-batter the chicken. Also, buttermilk ice cream rules.
False Millennium
An enjoyable read,but nothing I would cook. It's funny how fast cookbook's age in terms of the public taste and cultural changes.
EB
There are so many good recipes in this book.
Contains the best chicken broth recipe I've found. Very easy and very tasty!
Cecelia
The Lee Brothers really no how to make your taste buds come alive and the variety of recipies will never get old
Terri
I didn't really care for most of the recipes. However, it is a beautiful, well layed out book.
Jessica
Beautiful. This is the cookbook I turn to when I want to be comforted by something special.
Louise
Dec 05, 2007 Louise marked it as to-read
I have a huge crush on these guys and would love their book for Christmas. hint hint...
Beka
A fun read with lots of improvements or innovations on classic southern dishes.
Kathleen
Worth a page through, especially if you EVER go to Charleston, SC.
Jessica
I love this cookbook. Great stories and even better recipes!
Steff
I love this collection of traditional Southern recipes.
Bridget
A great Southern cookbook. This book is autographed.
SARAH
Thank you Kelly! Thank you Norton! Thank you Charleston!
Amber
One of the cookbooks I crack most frequently.
Albert
Very readable. Nice meatloaf recipes.
  • Screen Doors and Sweet Tea: Recipes and Tales from a Southern Cook
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • My New Orleans: The Cookbook
  • Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Cooking
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Under Pressure: Cooking Sous Vide
  • The Lady & Sons, Too!: A Whole New Batch of Recipes from Savannah
  • Authentic Mexican 20th Anniversary Ed: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico
  • Emeril's TV Dinners: Kickin' It Up A Notch With Recipes From Emeril Live And Essence Of Emeril
  • Mangoes & Curry Leaves: Culinary Travels Through the Great Subcontinent
  • The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The Original Classics
  • Gourmet Today: More than 1000 All-New Recipes for the Contemporary Kitchen
  • 660 Curries
  • Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook: Explosive Flavors from the Southwestern Kitchen
  • Essential Pepin: More Than 700 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food
  • Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor
The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor The Lee Bros. Charleston Kitchen Heart Soul Detroit: Conversations on the Motor City Thinking Between Deleuze and Kant: A Strange Encounter Microsoft Jobs: The Basics Every Applicant Should Know