Start by marking “Attack Of The 50 Ft Cupid (Franny K. Stein: Mad Scientist)” as Want to Read:
Attack Of The 50 Ft Cupid (Franny K. Stein: Mad Scientist)

Attack Of The 50 Ft Cupid (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist #2)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  1,512 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
Franny's mom says every mad scientist needs a lab assistant. So for Valentine's Day Franny gets just that -- a Lab assistant. Except Igor isn't a "pure" Lab. He's also part poodle, part Chihuahua, part beagle, part spaniel, part shepherd -- and all thumbs.Franny is fuming. She doesn't even "need" an assistant. What's she supposed to do with a good-for-nothing one like Igor ...more
Published 2006 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Attack Of The 50 Ft Cupid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Attack Of The 50 Ft Cupid

Brad
I've needed to read this for quite some time. Brontë finished it months ago, but my own books got in the way, and I never seemed to make it around to Franny and her mad science -- until last night.

Insomnia kicked in, but I didn't have the attention span for my other books, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and Under Heaven, and I didn't want to start something significant while I was bogged down in those monstrosities, so Franny K. Stein won the night.

I was most struck by how far past this book
Miloš & Brontë
Sep 25, 2011 Miloš & Brontë rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pa
Pa: So what do you think?

Brontë: Well, I think it was really cool, and I love how at the end ... actually, let's start at the beginning. She's at school and she can't get it right, and she gets this card and Igor, her dog, just starts pushing stuff on mistake --

Pa: -- by mistake --

Brontë: -- By mistake. Yeah. And then the Cupid card actually turns into a Cupid, and then she wakes up and is like, "What did you do?" and the Cupid has turned into a big, big one.

Pa: A 50' Cupid?

Brontë (nodding): Ye
Emily
Dec 06, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, juvenile
Once again, Franny attempts to decipher the world around her that simply doesn't see things the way she does. This time, Valentine's Day is the object of her study. And she raises awfully good points. Why on earth is a naked baby shooting people with arrows emblematic of this day to share love and affection? She fearlessly explores this foreign world and begins to unravels its mysteries, finding a dear friend and saving the city in the process.

Her new lab assistant, Igor, is a wonderful additio
Trinity Klennert
Jim Benton is an amazing author. I love these books. It was a quick easy read but, i want to be a scienctist when i grow up.
Rebecca Caufman
Jun 18, 2017 Rebecca Caufman rated it liked it
A Valentine's Day special book. She gets her dog Igor in this book and learns to love.
Anwar Vázquez
Un creativo cuento para niños donde el poder de la amistad y el amor es lo más importante.
Dolly
Sep 13, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the second book in the Franny K. Stein series by Jim Benton. We first discovered this series when we listened to Frantastic Voyage on audio CD. We all thought it was a humorous tale, so we decided to read some of the other books in the series.

This story introduces us to Franny's lab assistant, Igor and we learn more about Franny's mad scientist mind. I like that Franny redefines classic Valentine's Day images to fit her own warped mad scientist perspective. I also like that Franny learn
Jes Pedroza
Jul 09, 2008 Jes Pedroza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wanting a good laugh.
I think I love Franny K Stein so much because she is utterly unashamed to be herself. Popular culture tries to mold her into a fine-tuned shape but Franny is too quirmish to be like anyone else.
Although her parents do not understand her, they support Franny in her mad scientist endeavors. Her teacher Miss Shelly, tries to help Franny grasp what other boys and girls have learned ages ago. One such lesson is one on Valentines Day. Franny thinks the holiday sounds like a bore, but wants to make ca
Mina
Mar 10, 2011 Mina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear Readers,

I have just read a book called Franny K. Stein Attack of the 50-FT Cupid written by Jim Benton, When the cupid is about to shoot the love-arrow at Franny Igor bit the cupid's but and saved Franny. From that day on Igor became Franny's best friend and her lab assistance too.

Interesting words: debugged Biggerizer
Prediction: I think when Franny is in dangerous Igor will save her

I feel very interesting reading Franny's idea because I think the author is very creative for example, he
Edward Creter
Sep 09, 2014 Edward Creter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Franny K. Stein is back for the chilling (and sweet!) sequel! Hahaha! Franny has never known the awesome force called LOVE. She is introduced to the concept by her loving teacher, who shows her a Valentine card with a cute kid named Cupid who shoots the arrows of love to kids all over the world. This to Fran is an alien concept, so she seeks retribution by creating a Jumbo-sized Baby Cupid to terrorize the city! Then she is made to bear witness to SuperCupid's destructive loving power! Who can s ...more
Lady Knight
Jun 25, 2010 Lady Knight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Franny is back and this time she's taking on Valentine's Day. For homework she has to create valentines for her whole class. The problem? The concept of cute, cuddly, and mushy things are completely beyond Franny! Try as she might she just doesn't get it. Then to top it off, her mom gives her a dog , Igor, to be her new lab assistant. At first Franny is thrilled (she's always wanted a lab asssistant), but as it becomes clear that Igor does more harm than help, Franny becomes frustrated. The next ...more
Courtney Umlauf
In book #2, Franny is trying to decode the rules of Valentine's Day etiquette at school while attempting to keep her new assistant, a mangy dog named Igor, from ruining any of her experiments at home. Franny's mom doesn't always understand her daughter, but she does know that mad scientists always need an assistant, and so along comes Igor. Franny definitely does not approve of her flee-ridden subordinate, though she lets him stay to avoid hurting her mom's feelings. But when Igor saves Franny f ...more
Karen
Annabelle: What I like about this book was that Franny had a giant cupid on the street and she, Franny, and her dog, (what's the dogs name? "Igor") Igor, got in love and they helped rebuild Franny's house because it got destroyed.

Karen: We read this together,today. I read most of it, Daniel even repeated a few paragraphs out loud for us, and Annabelle read a few chapters.

This is the first Franny K. Stein book we've read. I thought it was pretty good. I would also give it 3+ stars. I did like it
Gymnast Writergirl
I read this book to my little sister after my library got some new copies. She liked this one just as much as the one that I read her a few months ago. (Book four.)
This is a cute series about a little girl mad scientist. Franny K. Stein.
Great for younger children, with just over 100 pages in each book, pictures on every page (Big ones at that!) and large print.
I think these are books that parents would like reading to their young children.
Younger children would like these much better than adult
Joanna
Read with my four year old daughter and my seven year old son. My seven year old isn't quite comfortable reading this to himself, but he's close. This book wasn't quite as good as the first book in the series (with the lunch monster), but it was still enjoyable and poking fun at Valentine's Day is always worthwhile. My kids loved the giant cupid and the introduction of Igor, the lab assistant/dog. Franny is a great character and these books have humor with heart. I'll definitely read more of the ...more
Aliahh6
Apr 12, 2013 Aliahh6 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I though this book was very very good and i liked the part when she showed the teacher her cupid and how she thought it looked. Although i finished this book in one day i could not stop thats how good it was. I think it was the best book i have ever read in my entire live for all 11 years. Now i'm reading another franny k stein book so far i have read 2 in the past 2 days. Every single day i am reading one of the books. I should get all of them thats how much i like it. If i had read all of them ...more
Krista Ivy
Mrs. Shelley wants to teach Franny about Valentine's Day. She tells her about the cards(which Franny has problems making) and about Cupid. Franny draws a Cupid which is accidentally Biggefied by her new dog(her mother bought him as an assistant), Igor. She gets mad at Igor and runs off after Cupid. She biggefies herself to his size, so that she can stop Cupid only to find Igor hanging from his naked baby butt(biting it quite deeply). Franny stops Cupid, destroys the biggefier, loves her dog, and ...more
Chinook
Mar 19, 2011 Chinook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roses are red,
I play the kazoo,
Big Foot is hairy,
But much less than you.

Reading Franny K. Stein makes me want to watch old episodes of Pinky and the Brain.

Pimples are pinkish,
A clog is a shoe,
Turkeys are dumb,
And so are you.

And thanks to one of the Chapter titles, I have this stuck in my head: Love is a Battlefield.

Zombies are gray,
My toenails regrew*,
Oatmeal is lumpy,
Your family is too.
*It did, actually. Almost normal size now.
Raylynn
This book is very interesting. Its no exactly my reading level because it was easy to read but its still a good book. Not one of my favorites though. Anyways, I recommended this book to anyone who likes to read about adventures, and mad scientist stuff. My favorite part is when Franny the main character gets a LAB partner, wink wink! And that LAB partner causes some misshapes but in the end everything is all right with the world!
Veronica
Mar 02, 2013 Veronica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
Isaiah
Mar 04, 2009 Isaiah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I dislike that she called the dog Igor stupid and ugly.He just wanted to play with his ball and everything got out of hand. My favorite part is when she builts a poem generator and you just take combonations of the poem frazez and use it.I am learning that when you get a new friend don't be that mean to them because they heart can feel broken.
Turknoys Demirkol
By a 7 year old girl Kylie

This is I would not stop until I finished the whole book. I have three more books like this but that's another review. All I want to say is that this book is totally awesome but some people think it's horrible and untidy but I am a book lover and I think that's it so far.

Thanks for reading!
StorySnoops
This second in the Franny K. Stein series is just as endearing as the first. Franny is a fun and funny character who always gets involved with silly monsters and crazy situations. Her mad scientist inventions both start problems and solve them... (click for full review http://www.storysnoops.com/detail.php...)
Sima
Jun 01, 2010 Sima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is part of a series, Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist. The pictures are a little bit scary looking, but the stories are hilarious. In this story, Franny's mom gives her a dog as a lab assistant. This doesn't work out so well for Franny since her assistant accidently uses the biggizer to make a cupid the size of 50 feet! How will Franny make everything right? Read to find out!
Helen
Nov 24, 2011 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, I read this to see why my kids like this series so much. And I was surprised to see how dark Franny is -- she's a mad scientist, very different, so of course the kids love the irreverence! And I enjoyed it as well.
Kayla
Nov 04, 2009 Kayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Franny is a wierd child, she loves science, well lets get to the point. Valentine is almost comming and she invented a cupid and her dog accentaly pressed a buuton and the baby get big and Franny mad at her dog... cant say more this book is really really funny.
Cindy
My students are in love with these books - I picked up the audiobook and now I know why my students love Franny! I love her too! She is quirky, real, makes mistakes, and uses her mind. A girl with guts and brains! Love it!
Maya
Nov 11, 2010 Maya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
it was a exciting book. for girls and boys. what it's about is franny doesn't know what vantimes day so she try to invent somthing .it goes tribble wrong .well you will have to read the book to find out what happens.
Meow
Apr 22, 2015 Meow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book was simply adorable! I love Franny and her creepy/cute twists on how you views things. This is something I can always enjoy when I want a quick read or story-time with kids, such a great read for anyone to enjoy!
Abe
Jan 01, 2011 Abe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was weird, a little funny, really sad, but I think I really found the whole meaning of the story: it is that even though you're mad at somebody, they can still help you out, so try to be nicer to people even if you don't like them. Think of a time when you need help and they can help you.
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • Heidi Heckelbeck and the Christmas Surprise
  • Andrew Lost On the Dog (Andrew Lost #1)
  • The Rat Brain Fiasco (Splurch Academy for Disruptive Boys, #1)
  • Dracula vs. Grampa at the Monster Truck Spectacular (Wiley & Grampa's Creature Features, #1)
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Uranium Unicorns from Uranus (Ricky Ricotta, #7)
  • Horrible Harry and the Drop of Doom
  • Princess Posey and the Perfect Present (Princess Posey, #2)
  • Class Trip to the Cave of Doom (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #3)
  • Never Swipe a Bully's Bear (Roscoe Riley Rules, #2)
  • Camp Babymouse (Babymouse, #6)
  • The Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Treasure Hunt (Judy Moody & Stink, #2)
  • Bad Kitty Gets a Bath
  • The Mystery of the Mona Lisa: France (Secret Agent Jack Stalwart, #3)
  • Mr. Klutz Is Nuts! (My Weird School, #2)
  • Ivy and Bean: What's the Big Idea? (Ivy and Bean, #7)
Benton began his career in a custom design t-shirt shop where he started designing his own characters. At the same time, Jim did illustrations and artwork for magazines and newspapers. People magazine named him "the most visible cartoonist in America" .

Benton also created greeting cards and worked in the magazine and publishing industry. In 1998, his SpyDogs characters became an animated series, T
More about Jim Benton...

Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist (7 books)
  • Lunch Walks Among Us (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #1)
  • The Invisible Fran (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #3)
  • The Fran That Time Forgot (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #4)
  • Frantastic Voyage (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #5)
  • The Fran with Four Brains (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #6)
  • The Frandidate (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #7)