Start by marking “Counterculture Through the Ages: From Abraham to Acid House” as Want to Read:
Counterculture Through the Ages: From Abraham to Acid House

Counterculture Through the Ages: From Abraham to Acid House

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  14 reviews
As long as there has been culture, there has been counterculture. At times it moves deep below the surface of things, a stealth mode of being all but invisible to the dominant paradigm; at other times it’s in plain sight, challenging the status quo; and at still other times it erupts in a fiery burst of creative–or destructive–energy to change the world forever.

But until
Published September 13th 2005 by Villard (first published November 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Counterculture Through the Ages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counterculture Through the Ages

Melissa Schmidty -Schmidt
Informative, enjoyable read. It's an interesting angle: approaching major world religions in terms of their counterculture elements--including at its inception, during its infancy Judaism, as well as alternative sects within other religions such as the Zen approach to Buddhism and the Sufi offshoot of Islam. I was a little disappointed the early rumblings of Christianity weren't similarly explored and I had especially hoped for a chapter on Catholicism's own counterculture movement: the Francisc ...more
Philip Leggiere
In Praise of Cognitive Dissidence
For the past four decades or so (dating back to roughly from Richard Nixon’s evocations of the “silent majority”) culture war has become an increasingly refined ideological specialty of reactionary politicians. It may (or may not) be true that the now stereotypical and media embedded image of America as divided into “red” (gun-toting, NASCAR-watching, gay hating, evangelicals) and “blue” secularist, modernist, metro) values blocs is an accurate description. Or th
Andrea
An excellent and very interesting overview of several different countercultures throughout time (up till it was written in 2003). Goffman (aka RU Serious, former editor of the '90s techno-rave culture magazine Mondo 2000) analyzes, probes, and exposes all the favorites: Prometheus, Abraham, the Taoists, Zen Buddhists, Sufis, Troubadors, Transcendentalists, beatniks, hippies, punks, ravers, and SO much more!

What a fun gallop throughout time, weaving through history common threads of anti-authori
drazz
I think this is a great book with a lot of interesting arguments and histories.
However, it should be used as a starting point. The author is very obviously trying to keep the book a certain number of pages / tends to gloss over certain events. There was also a discussion in my class that perhaps the author isn't entirely well read.
This book helped me to open up to the idea of counterculture. Each chapter has a different topic / historical situation in really broad terms. It's a great resource b
Grumpus McGrouchy
Just a list of endless bohemian subcultures throughout time. But, very thorough and a great jumping off point for further investigation.
Corey
Oct 02, 2009 Corey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in Cultures and History
Very cool book. Goes throughout history (all the way to the 90's) talking about several cultures and groups like Sufism, Zen, Troubadours, Jesus and His followers, Yippies and so many more; you name it, their in there.
Its a really interesting book, I think anyone who reads it could find some group of people in the past that they can relate to and if you're like me and often feel like maybe you don't belong because of the way you act or think sometimes, this book definitely shows you you're not a
Maggie Duval
I finally got around to reading this. Highly entertaining read and a great overarching view of counterculture through the ages. Turned me on to a few I didn't know much about. Would also make a fun textbook for a class on the subject that I might teach one of these days...
I'm not a history buff, so the rate at which I tore through this book, and the degree to which I was inspired to learn more about history was astounding. Finally, historical heroes I can identify with, even as I question and analyze their motives and effects.
Dov
this was a great read, I thought it'd be top heavy with US west coast based culture, which is prominently featured, but tastefully and essentially in context and very well done.
Erin
For a book I had to read for class, I really enjoyed this. Well written, shamelessly opinionated. A nice change. Plus, I learned things about counterculture, so that was nice.
Alan Fay
This was an excellent (but light) overview of the history of counter-culture. I treat it more like an index of topics to follow through on at a later date.
rob
This was a fascinating look at cultures through the ages that helped push us further into periods of creativity and progress.
Brian
pretty good read so far. it's an interesting history written by an interesting guy. entertaining and informative.
Shishir
Partly read - it is the counterthinkers who bring about changes - Socrates / troubadors / Taoists/ etc)
Katherine Pontikes
Katherine Pontikes marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Jarod
Jarod marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Jennifer is currently reading it
May 18, 2015
Kas
Kas marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Jason Callicoat
Jason Callicoat marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Dave Wichelns
Dave Wichelns marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Archionblu
Archionblu marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Carly Naughton
Carly Naughton marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Tina Paul
Tina Paul marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Kamil
Kamil marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Alex Camarillo
Alex Camarillo marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Veronika Říhovská
Veronika Říhovská marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • TechGnosis: Myth, Magic & Mysticism in the Age of Information
  • The Haight-Ashbury: A History
  • The Conquest of Cool: Business Culture, Counterculture, and the Rise of Hip Consumerism
  • Can't Find My Way Home: America in the Great Stoned Age, 1945-2000
  • The Making of a Counter Culture:  The Making of a Counter Culture: Reflections on the Technocratic Society and Its Youthful Opposition
  • The Post-Corporate World: Life After Capitalism