Start by marking “Counterculture Through the Ages: From Abraham to Acid House” as Want to Read:
Counterculture Through the Ages: From Abraham to Acid House

Counterculture Through the Ages: From Abraham to Acid House

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  141 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
As long as there has been culture, there has been counterculture. At times it moves deep below the surface of things, a stealth mode of being all but invisible to the dominant paradigm; at other times it’s in plain sight, challenging the status quo; and at still other times it erupts in a fiery burst of creative–or destructive–energy to change the world forever.

But until
Published September 13th 2005 by Villard (first published November 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Counterculture Through the Ages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counterculture Through the Ages

Melissa Schmidty -Schmidt
Informative, enjoyable read. It's an interesting angle: approaching major world religions in terms of their counterculture elements--including at its inception, during its infancy Judaism, as well as alternative sects within other religions such as the Zen approach to Buddhism and the Sufi offshoot of Islam. I was a little disappointed the early rumblings of Christianity weren't similarly explored and I had especially hoped for a chapter on Catholicism's own counterculture movement: the Francisc ...more
Philip Leggiere
In Praise of Cognitive Dissidence
For the past four decades or so (dating back to roughly from Richard Nixon’s evocations of the “silent majority”) culture war has become an increasingly refined ideological specialty of reactionary politicians. It may (or may not) be true that the now stereotypical and media embedded image of America as divided into “red” (gun-toting, NASCAR-watching, gay hating, evangelicals) and “blue” secularist, modernist, metro) values blocs is an accurate description. Or th
Andrea
Jan 10, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent and very interesting overview of several different countercultures throughout time (up till it was written in 2003). Goffman (aka RU Serious, former editor of the '90s techno-rave culture magazine Mondo 2000) analyzes, probes, and exposes all the favorites: Prometheus, Abraham, the Taoists, Zen Buddhists, Sufis, Troubadors, Transcendentalists, beatniks, hippies, punks, ravers, and SO much more!

What a fun gallop throughout time, weaving through history common threads of anti-authori
drazz
Aug 20, 2015 drazz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, non-fiction, history
I think this is a great book with a lot of interesting arguments and histories.
However, it should be used as a starting point. The author is very obviously trying to keep the book a certain number of pages / tends to gloss over certain events. There was also a discussion in my class that perhaps the author isn't entirely well read.
This book helped me to open up to the idea of counterculture. Each chapter has a different topic / historical situation in really broad terms. It's a great resource b
Grumpus McGrouchy
Mar 24, 2014 Grumpus McGrouchy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a list of endless bohemian subcultures throughout time. But, very thorough and a great jumping off point for further investigation.
Corey
Oct 02, 2009 Corey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in Cultures and History
Very cool book. Goes throughout history (all the way to the 90's) talking about several cultures and groups like Sufism, Zen, Troubadours, Jesus and His followers, Yippies and so many more; you name it, their in there.
Its a really interesting book, I think anyone who reads it could find some group of people in the past that they can relate to and if you're like me and often feel like maybe you don't belong because of the way you act or think sometimes, this book definitely shows you you're not a
Maggie Duval
Aug 16, 2014 Maggie Duval rated it really liked it
I finally got around to reading this. Highly entertaining read and a great overarching view of counterculture through the ages. Turned me on to a few I didn't know much about. Would also make a fun textbook for a class on the subject that I might teach one of these days...
May 21, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it
I'm not a history buff, so the rate at which I tore through this book, and the degree to which I was inspired to learn more about history was astounding. Finally, historical heroes I can identify with, even as I question and analyze their motives and effects.
Dov
Jun 28, 2011 Dov rated it really liked it
this was a great read, I thought it'd be top heavy with US west coast based culture, which is prominently featured, but tastefully and essentially in context and very well done.
Erin
Mar 26, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a book I had to read for class, I really enjoyed this. Well written, shamelessly opinionated. A nice change. Plus, I learned things about counterculture, so that was nice.
Alan Fay
Mar 16, 2009 Alan Fay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, history
This was an excellent (but light) overview of the history of counter-culture. I treat it more like an index of topics to follow through on at a later date.
rob
Aug 21, 2011 rob rated it it was amazing
This was a fascinating look at cultures through the ages that helped push us further into periods of creativity and progress.
Brian
Oct 24, 2007 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
pretty good read so far. it's an interesting history written by an interesting guy. entertaining and informative.
Shishir
May 26, 2012 Shishir rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Partly read - it is the counterthinkers who bring about changes - Socrates / troubadors / Taoists/ etc)
Alia
Alia marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Eva Whitley
Eva Whitley rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Álvaro Calvo
Álvaro Calvo marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Marselia
Marselia marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Bella Branson
Bella Branson marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Renze
Renze rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Cloe
Cloe marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
David Capito
David Capito marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Zi Fuschiosara
Zi Fuschiosara marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Xander
Xander added it
Jan 16, 2016
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
  • The Haight-Ashbury: A History
  • The Conquest of Cool: Business Culture, Counterculture, and the Rise of Hip Consumerism
  • TechGnosis: Myth, Magic & Mysticism in the Age of Information
  • The Making of a Counter Culture:  The Making of a Counter Culture: Reflections on the Technocratic Society and Its Youthful Opposition
  • Can't Find My Way Home: America in the Great Stoned Age, 1945-2000
  • Hippie
  • The Fundamentals of Typography
  • Ordinary People as Monks and Mystics: Lifestyles for Self-discovery
  • Jenny Saville

“Countercultural liberties can open pathways to well-being that aren’t recognized by mainstream culture—but can also result in a reckless disregard for self and others.” 0 likes
“The Essence and Character of a People, his overriding message was that Judaism is an “eternal countercultural.” In his book, Hertzberg declares, “Abraham, the first Jew, is the archetypal Jewish character. As the leader of a small, dissenting minority living precariously on the margins of society, he defines the enduring role of the Jew as the outsider. The recurring themes of Jewish history—otherness, defiance, fragility, and morality—are present in his life.” 0 likes