Start by marking “Showcase Presents: Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Showcase Presents: Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 2

Showcase Presents: Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 2 (Showcase Presents: The Legion of Super-Heroes #2)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Over 500 pages of classic adventures are included in this value-priced volume collecting Silver Age tales of Batman and Robin as they face their most enduring enemies, including Poison Ivy, the Riddler and many others. These are the stories that inspired the Dynamic Duo's 1960s TV series, which featured Batman's astonishing detective skills and impressive array of Bat-gadg ...more
Published April 22nd 2008 by DC Comics (first published April 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Showcase Presents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Showcase Presents

Jason Luna
A large chunk of this volume is a middling success, good mediocrity. The likes of Edmond Hamilton, Jerry Siegel, Curt Swan and others churn out the quality material that they did in the same era with the same meh success on books like "Superman".

The stories are often a little bland, like where the bad guy they're fighting are less important than some team chemistry issue, or how great it is that the team is full of well intentioned super kids.

There should be some credit for good ideas that don't
Stephen Theaker
Nowadays the Legion seems to be in a complete mess. Towards the end of the original Legion saga things went wrong with the introduction of the Legionnaires (teenage versions of the adult heroes, who were either clones or the original heroes rescued from suspended animation), and things went pretty badly for Earth. Following Zero Hour the whole story was rebooted, and since then I get the impression that it's been rebooted one or two times more, though I haven't kept up to date. Reading these sto ...more
Matt
I think this is still great, though not quite as great as the first volume. I say this because some things just don't work for me: the confrontation with Time Trapper, long delayed, sort of fizzles. There are stabs at greatness here that just don't work, hints of private lives we haven't seen, etc. But there are also some great stories here-- the first Computo story, for example, is great and brutal in its depictions of what really feels like a war. We see the introduction of Ferro Lad (we knew ...more
Tone
I love it but it's hard to recommend this volume to others. The stories in these first two books are mostly about the Legion getting attacked by people they rejected for the team and Legion members trying to trick each other into marriage.
Christopher Dodd
Almost every story details an adventure of the Legion where they face a "traitor".
Whether it is an infiltrator, a member hypnotized, an elaborate ruse or just plain misunderstanding, betrayal is a common theme.
Steve
We start to get into darker territory here as Lightning Lad loses an arm and one of Triplicate Girl's bodies dies. Some classic stories of the Silver/Bronze Age here.
Sean Brennan
During this period DC were years behind what Marvel were accomplishing. The artwork and script was still aimed at a more juvenile audience.
Meggo
This has a great deal of my favorite early Legion stories.
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2015
Wesley Crick
Wesley Crick marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Danielle Dale
Danielle Dale marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Billy Hogan
Billy Hogan marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Joe Wygocki
Joe Wygocki marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Teufel Hosen
Teufel Hosen is currently reading it
Oct 20, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Grignr
Grignr added it
May 15, 2014
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jerome "Jerry" Siegel, who also used pseudonyms including Joe Carter, Jerry Ess, and Herbert S. Fine, was the American co-creator of Superman (along with Joe Shuster), the first of the great comic book superheroes and one of the most recognizable icons of the 20th century.
He and Shuster were inducted into the comic book industry's Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame in 1992 and the Jack Kirby Hall
More about Jerry Siegel...

Showcase Presents: The Legion of Super-Heroes (4 books)
  • Showcase Presents: Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 1
  • Showcase Presents: Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 3
  • Showcase Presents: Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 4
The Superman Chronicles, Vol. 1 Showcase Presents: Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 1 Showcase Presents Superman, Volume 1 The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told Legion of Super-Heroes Archives, Vol. 1