Start by marking “The Picture Bible” as Want to Read:
The Picture Bible

The Picture Bible

For years, The Picture Bible has delighted young and old. Now updated with interesting new features, including "Did you know?" fact pages, time line, story listing, maps, and more, kids will love the great stories and action pictures of the newly revised Picture Bible. God's Word will come alive for hours of family reading enjoyment.

Newly designed with a fresh cover, text,
Published August 15th 1998 by David C. Cook (first published January 1st 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Picture Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Picture Bible

Oct 08, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
A great bible for boys. My eight year old read this over the course of a month or so each night before he went to bed. It is a comic book-style bible but it is not cartoonish at all and it is very solidly written, though it is not Catholic. John Paul learned very much about the Old Testament, especially, from reading this bible. Good choice for active boys!!
Daniel
Oct 06, 2012 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
This was my second Bible. The first was the Beginners Bible, but by age 6 I had read all of it, so I wanted a new one. At Christmas, My parents surprised me with the Picture Bible. At first, I didn't like the comic book format, but soon I got used to it. By the time I was 10, I had worn it out, with me needing a new one again. This Bible is one of the greatest ways to get a young one to read God's word. It has LOTS of action, dramatic drawings, and little articles in between chapters that let yo ...more
Aaron Kleinheksel
I can't say how many times I read this through as a child. I remember being introduced to it through weekly snippets that were part of our Sunday School papers we'd get every week at church, called Pix. This really made the Bible come alive to me in a visual way that made me excited to read it at a time in my life when wading through the plain text was difficult. It is quite faithful to scripture and the illustrations are not cartoonish in the least, rather they follow a more classical-style (th ...more
Becky Sayler
Feb 09, 2014 Becky Sayler rated it really liked it
Age Range: 4 - 8
This is the Bible as a graphic novel, with text and drawings done in a comic-book style. The retellings are done in a story-friendly format to make them understandable, and include a reference to the Biblical scripture they are told from. It would be a good family activity to read the text from the Bible and compare it to “The Picture Bible” retelling to see what has been added to. The author does take some poetic license to fill in the blanks (Lot’s wife has a thought bubble tha
Eleni Pessemier
My dad gave me this book a few years ago, it had been given to him as a little kid by his godparents. I didn't really even know what it was for a couple years, but then one day I picked it up and got hooked in. I ended up reading it within two days as a twelve-year-old and I've read it cover-to-cover three more times since then. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone because it makes the bible stories so interesting and easy to understand for young kids or adults because it isn't chees ...more
Jim
6 stars

this is one of the books that made the Bible understandable to me. moreso than Narnia or Calvin Miller's Singer trilogy or Thomas Merton this is the book that Showed me what the Bible looks like.

when my Mom went through BSF this was what she used along w/Miss Johnson's notes and the Bible.

i've read or tried to read and use a half dozen of the comic book Bibles in print. this is the only one that holds up. anyone older than five can read and learn from it and unlike the others an adult can
Karissa Meyers
Oct 01, 2016 Karissa Meyers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this Bible growing up and loved it, and now I have read it once to my younger brother, and we are beginning our second reading. The illustrations are incredible, and the comic presentation is great. The right amount of information is included, so as to further educate past a beginners' Bible but not be too in-depth or over young readers' heads. I only give this four stars because it is not a Catholic Bible, and so the narration in the Last Supper misses the mark (and there may have been o ...more
Papalodge
Feb 19, 2016 Papalodge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1980, I bought The Picture Bible to read to the children for pre-bedtime stories.
Going thru my colletion of old books I saved to read in the future, I came across The Picture Bible.
The illustrations are good.
Easy for children to identify the characters throughout as they wear the same color clothing.
(Made me wonder when they ever wash or mended their robes.)
A quick read and mini review of the Bible (think Cliff's Notes).
A refresher course without the deep thinking.
(Pairs well with hot
Eva
Aug 08, 2008 Eva rated it really liked it
I have to say that I loved this bible as a kid, and I even love it today. You can tell I've put it through a lot, cause it's missing the front cover and the first page is nearly ripped off. I don't know if I would have been as interested in reading a "normal" bible if I was a kid, so this is a great way to learn the stories the bible tells, while keeping kids interested and excited. I would recommend it to all parents wanting to educate their kids on bible stories.
Literature3!Amateur
Feb 09, 2011 Literature3!Amateur rated it really liked it
It was very cool. I'd always wanted to read and understand the bible stories but they always seemed so complicated. When I first found out about this book I thought it was a nice idea to visualize it and put it down in comic book form. The pictures are amazing.

The only two things that bother me is how all the "bad" or "violent" scenes are all skipped. There too much writing at the top of the boxes and less action. :(

SPOILER ALERT!!! Paul dies at the end of the book.
Ruby
Nov 28, 2012 Ruby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, scripture
when i was a kid in sunday school, we used to get these little comics after the class every week. i thought they were fun and taught the Scriptures without being preachy. little did i know there was an entire Bible made like this. finally found one and finished it last night. it's a nice, uncomplicated way of enjoying my favorite Biblical stories since it cuts through all the unnecessary stuff and just presents the stories themselves.
Joyce
Jul 23, 2012 Joyce rated it liked it
I found an old copy I had of this in a box with a couple other religious gifts I've received over the years (from my baptism, communion, etc) and I decided to reread it. I forgot how awesome bible stories are. Wow. However, the artwork gets rather sloppy at times which can be frustrating for someone who obsesses over details.
Dayna
Aug 02, 2016 Dayna rated it it was amazing
Even though this graphic novel version of the bible was meant for kids, I loved it all the same. My mind tends to wander while I attempt to read the King James Version, so this was a fun alternative for me. It goes in depth in all the stories, tells them in modern dialect, and has amazing illustrations!
Lori
Dec 09, 2009 Lori rated it it was amazing
I finally read the bible, cover-to-cover.

1970s comic book version of the bible, 800 pages of cheezy goodness. I bought this while doing an alternative spring break after Hurricane Katrina. Started reading it the day I moved into my seminary apartment, before classes even began. And now, two and a half years later, I have finished it.
Kristy
Jul 06, 2010 Kristy rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved, loved this Bible when I was growing up. I was given it as a graduation gift when I left kindergarten at age five...and it was a favorite of mine for years. Although I must say mine was way more cool, with a denim cover, than the editions that are out now.
MELANIE
Sep 06, 2015 MELANIE rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my favorite books for children. I read this graphic novel version of the Bible cover to cover many, many times throughout my childhood and once or twice as an adult. I highly recommend this.
Kelli
Jun 06, 2011 Kelli rated it really liked it
This has been redone and I really think its a lovely addition to look at and read. The drawings are great and the moments in the biblical stories are sweet and powerful. I love the added dialog, accompanied by the bible verses.
Cassie Poe
Aug 05, 2011 Cassie Poe rated it liked it
This book is not just for kids, if you're a visual learner like me this bible helps a ton. It's good way to remember all those little facts and stories and the order of them and the pages just look cool.
Sharon Cartwright
Sep 01, 2009 Sharon Cartwright rated it it was amazing
I am surprised how much Daniel enjoys reading this Bible. Written comic book style, it covers an extensive amount of the bible in a format Daniel enjoys. We're getting alot of mileage out of this one.
Keely
Mar 07, 2009 Keely rated it it was amazing
I'm pretty sure this is the one I had as a kid-- although I think the cover was different? I dunno. I loved that it was in comic book format. Ahahahaha.
Michael
Apr 29, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it
My first bible. Although the faith didn't take, the stories have stayed with me, probably due to the compelling illustrations and comic-book-like narration.
Felmar Rowell Singco
Nov 07, 2008 Felmar Rowell Singco rated it it was amazing
This Holy Bible in comics form I have read when I was a child.

I consider this a treasure among book treasures.

The drawings are excellent, the stories are very beautiful.
Mathias Seiwert
Aug 15, 2013 Mathias Seiwert rated it it was amazing
Fantastically illustrated Bible for children ages 4-10. Read this over one year with my children and definitely grew closer to God personally!
Brianne
Apr 28, 2013 Brianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good, easy to read first introduction to the bible. gives the stories and background without being intimidating.
Owlcourt
Jun 21, 2013 Owlcourt rated it it was amazing
First rate graphic portrayal of the bible. This version is faithful to the text, and doesn't preach.
Wonderful books for all kids who like graphic books.
grace-before-reading
This was my Confirmation and First Communion gift from my then pastor. I remember reading up to the Nativity but nothing after that. So maybe one day I'll come back to it and finish it all.
Elizabeth
Mar 07, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
I love this illustrated version of the Bible! I read it when I was really young and re-reading it makes me appreciate it even more. Christian adults as well as kids will enjoy it.
Liesl
Aug 17, 2012 Liesl rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Fun to read with detail and a complete collection of each story within the Greatest Story Ever Told.
Md
Md rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2012