The Picture Bible

The Picture Bible

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  30 reviews
For years, The Picture Bible has delighted young and old. Now updated with interesting new features, including "Did you know?" fact pages, time line, story listing, maps, and more, kids will love the great stories and action pictures of the newly revised Picture Bible. God's Word will come alive for hours of family reading enjoyment.

Newly designed with a fresh cover, text,...more
Published August 15th 1998 by David C. Cook (first published January 1st 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Picture Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Picture Bible

Daniel
This was my second Bible. The first was the Beginners Bible, but by age 6 I had read all of it, so I wanted a new one. At Christmas, My parents surprised me with the Picture Bible. At first, I didn't like the comic book format, but soon I got used to it. By the time I was 10, I had worn it out, with me needing a new one again. This Bible is one of the greatest ways to get a young one to read God's word. It has LOTS of action, dramatic drawings, and little articles in between chapters that let yo...more
A great bible for boys. My eight year old read this over the course of a month or so each night before he went to bed. It is a comic book-style bible but it is not cartoonish at all and it is very solidly written, though it is not Catholic. John Paul learned very much about the Old Testament, especially, from reading this bible. Good choice for active boys!!
Jim
6 stars

this is one of the books that made the Bible understandable to me. moreso than Narnia or Calvin Miller's Singer trilogy or Thomas Merton this is the book that Showed me what the Bible looks like.

when my Mom went through BSF this was what she used along w/Miss Johnson's notes and the Bible.

i've read or tried to read and use a half dozen of the comic book Bibles in print. this is the only one that holds up. anyone older than five can read and learn from it and unlike the others an adult can...more
Becky Sayler
Age Range: 4 - 8
This is the Bible as a graphic novel, with text and drawings done in a comic-book style. The retellings are done in a story-friendly format to make them understandable, and include a reference to the Biblical scripture they are told from. It would be a good family activity to read the text from the Bible and compare it to “The Picture Bible” retelling to see what has been added to. The author does take some poetic license to fill in the blanks (Lot’s wife has a thought bubble tha...more
Eleni
My dad gave me this book a few years ago, it had been given to him as a little kid by his godparents. I didn't really even know what it was for a couple years, but then one day I picked it up and got hooked in. I ended up reading it within two days as a twelve-year-old and I've read it cover-to-cover three more times since then. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone because it makes the bible stories so interesting and easy to understand for young kids or adults because it isn't chees...more
Literature3!Amateur
It was very cool. I'd always wanted to read and understand the bible stories but they always seemed so complicated. When I first found out about this book I thought it was a nice idea to visualize it and put it down in comic book form. The pictures are amazing.

The only two things that bother me is how all the "bad" or "violent" scenes are all skipped. There too much writing at the top of the boxes and less action. :(

SPOILER ALERT!!! Paul dies at the end of the book.
Eva
I have to say that I loved this bible as a kid, and I even love it today. You can tell I've put it through a lot, cause it's missing the front cover and the first page is nearly ripped off. I don't know if I would have been as interested in reading a "normal" bible if I was a kid, so this is a great way to learn the stories the bible tells, while keeping kids interested and excited. I would recommend it to all parents wanting to educate their kids on bible stories.
Ruby
when i was a kid in sunday school, we used to get these little comics after the class every week. i thought they were fun and taught the Scriptures without being preachy. little did i know there was an entire Bible made like this. finally found one and finished it last night. it's a nice, uncomplicated way of enjoying my favorite Biblical stories since it cuts through all the unnecessary stuff and just presents the stories themselves.
Lori
I finally read the bible, cover-to-cover.

1970s comic book version of the bible, 800 pages of cheezy goodness. I bought this while doing an alternative spring break after Hurricane Katrina. Started reading it the day I moved into my seminary apartment, before classes even began. And now, two and a half years later, I have finished it.
Joyce
I found an old copy I had of this in a box with a couple other religious gifts I've received over the years (from my baptism, communion, etc) and I decided to reread it. I forgot how awesome bible stories are. Wow. However, the artwork gets rather sloppy at times which can be frustrating for someone who obsesses over details.
Kristy
I loved, loved, loved this Bible when I was growing up. I was given it as a graduation gift when I left kindergarten at age five...and it was a favorite of mine for years. Although I must say mine was way more cool, with a denim cover, than the editions that are out now.
Kelli
This has been redone and I really think its a lovely addition to look at and read. The drawings are great and the moments in the biblical stories are sweet and powerful. I love the added dialog, accompanied by the bible verses.
Sharon Cartwright
I am surprised how much Daniel enjoys reading this Bible. Written comic book style, it covers an extensive amount of the bible in a format Daniel enjoys. We're getting alot of mileage out of this one.
Cassie Poe
This book is not just for kids, if you're a visual learner like me this bible helps a ton. It's good way to remember all those little facts and stories and the order of them and the pages just look cool.
Theresa
This was my Confirmation and First Communion gift from my then pastor. I remember reading up to the Nativity but nothing after that. So maybe one day I'll come back to it and finish it all.
Elizabeth
I love this illustrated version of the Bible! I read it when I was really young and re-reading it makes me appreciate it even more. Christian adults as well as kids will enjoy it.
Felmar Rowell Singco
This Holy Bible in comics form I have read when I was a child.

I consider this a treasure among book treasures.

The drawings are excellent, the stories are very beautiful.
Keely
I'm pretty sure this is the one I had as a kid-- although I think the cover was different? I dunno. I loved that it was in comic book format. Ahahahaha.
Owlcourt
First rate graphic portrayal of the bible. This version is faithful to the text, and doesn't preach.
Wonderful books for all kids who like graphic books.
Michael
My first bible. Although the faith didn't take, the stories have stayed with me, probably due to the compelling illustrations and comic-book-like narration.
Mathias Seiwert
Fantastically illustrated Bible for children ages 4-10. Read this over one year with my children and definitely grew closer to God personally!
Michael
I have not read it fully so I do not know it all but so far it is all right. I do not love it but it is good.Done by Tara (Michael's daughter)
Brianne
very good, easy to read first introduction to the bible. gives the stories and background without being intimidating.
Liesl
Amazing! Fun to read with detail and a complete collection of each story within the Greatest Story Ever Told.
Maggie
I really like ALL of the stories. I really like how Esther looks. I read this all the time.
Amy Ricketts
This is the reason I know so much about the Bible. Every child should have this.
Juliana
nothing like finding religion in a comic strip bible.
Sonia
It's like a graphic novel...for kids 5 and up
Roberta
This is not my book. Did not read this.
Christina
Nov 22, 2012 Christina marked it as to-read
Shelves: kids
Recommended by Sarah Mortimore
Christian Schools: Bible Books? 1 5 Feb 11, 2013 10:36AM
Printings from Different Years 2 8 Jul 06, 2010 05:50PM
New Testament Picture Bible The Chosen People (Vol. 2) Life of Jesus real Jesus. The Real Jesus