Start by marking “Franky Furbo” as Want to Read:
Franky Furbo

Franky Furbo

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  435 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The award-winning author of Birdy, Dad, and Tidings offers readers a special gift in this story about a love that passes understanding. 13 line drawings.
Published (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Franky Furbo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Franky Furbo

A Tundra Tale by Lone Alaskan GypsyHunter's Moon by Garry Douglas KilworthFantastic Mr. Fox by Roald DahlThe Running Foxes by Joyce StrangerRed Fox by J. David Henry
Books about Foxes
8th out of 59 books — 7 voters
Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead GeorgeFantastic Mr. Fox by Roald DahlWhite Fang by Jack LondonThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonLittle Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart Hyman
Foxes and Wolves
124th out of 378 books — 78 voters

More lists with this book...

Shauna
A story about a magical fox, or a man's hallucinations about a magical fox--or is he real after all? Mainly the story is about the man and his remembrances of the adventures he had with this fox during the war--about his needing to believe and the way it affected his life and family. Light fantasy.
Shaya
Mar 02, 2009 Shaya rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shaya by: Tom Tanguay and my mother
This book is so interesting and gripping. The concept is of a man separating his fantasy or reality of a fox.

Many aspects of the book are still fresh in my mind, two or three years after reading. Franky Furbo's concept of reading vs. TV and how TV was much better because you have expression and humanness.

I loved the ending and felt it was really well done.
Potatoez
This book was really weird, and had a lot of "plot twists".. but I liked it. And the art is quirky and awesome. Stories, war, foxes, what more do you need?
Alex
I'm still not really sure if I loved it or didn't like it. It's one of the weirdest books I've ever read, still I couldn't put it down. Some passages made me cringe but I'm not sure it's only down to my own prejudices. It's most certainly one of the most unexpected stories I've ever read. I'm glad I read it, though. It's easy, interesting and most of all, totally bonkers. Do I recommend it? Well, let's just say it generated a huge turn out at my book club so there's must be something about it.
Peter
Unquestionably one of my favorite books, by one of my favorite authors; magic or crazy? Doesn't really matter, but largely responsible for my long standing love of foxes.
Rebecca Isles
Umm one word 'weird'!!! Only finished this book because it was a bookclub book. This has to be the weirdest book I have ever read! I don't get it - this book has received some really good reviews telling how life changing this read was. I really think I'm just not a understander of William Wharton's work because this wasn't life changing at all for me. It was very well written but not for me.

Would not recommend - not my kind of book!

Travis Hoffman
This is a very interesting book... especially considering the circumstances behind the authors life and writing of it. It is hard to find, and took me several years to get a good copy, but I read it in one night, and found myself enjoying it. It is not a high form of literature, but it is a very, very interesting read.
Calahtenney
We read this book years ago, and then lost it. It was really, really, really good. It's out of print so if you ever run across it, snag it.
Barbara
Another masterpiece of Wharton's imagination and literary genius; beauty in every word; suprising characters;
Bieiris
Uno de los libros más absurdos que he leído en mi vida, por no decir el que más.
Andy
The last time I read a book this strange it was...Birdy by William Wharton!
Amy
William Wharton is like no other.
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Vera
Vera marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
  • Wilderness
  • The Low Road (Elf Realm, #1)
  • Natural Novel
  • The Art Museum
  • Fearless
  • The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys
  • The Explosionist
  • Kwiat kalafiora (Jeżycjada, #3)
  • Wałkowanie Ameryki
William Wharton (7 November 1925 - 29 October 2008), the pen name of the author Albert William Du Aime (pronounced as doo-EM), was an American-born author best known for his first novel Birdy, which was also successful as a film.

Wharton was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Upper Darby High School in 1943, and was inducted into the school's Wall of Fame in 1997. He volunteered
More about William Wharton...
Birdy A Midnight Clear Dad Last Lovers Pride

“He's convinced most human adults do not know how to play anymore and that playing is one of the best ways to think. Franky finds children, by far, much more pleasant and intelligent than most adults, but they are easily ruined by their families, schools, and society. He says one of the ways they are ruined is by being forced to think of all the tasks that need to be done as work, not as play. It takes the joy out of living.” 9 likes