Start by marking “Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock 'em Dead with Style” as Want to Read:
Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock 'em Dead with Style

Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock 'em Dead with Style

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Solve the MYSTERY of how to write and sell a KILLER story! With the help of interactive exercises, mystery author and crime fiction critic Hallie Ephron gives you the momentum you need to turn a kernel of an idea into an intriguing mystery novel. You'll learn to capitalize on your writing strengths and shore up your weaknesses.

This comprehensive guide covers every aspect o
Published September 1st 2005 by Writer's Digest Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel

Debra
I like reading how-to books, although I don’t read them voraciously. After listening to journalist and mystery author Hallie Ephron give a workshop on point of view three years ago, I bought a copy of her book, Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel. I prefer to read these books while working on a new novel and this was the perfect opportunity.

I’m writing my sixth mystery and was amazed by the amount of useful information Ephron provides, including the all-important editing and selling component
Sarai
Mar 22, 2008 Sarai rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers, new writers
Recommended to Sarai by: Amazon
Shelves: howto-research, own
This is an EXCELLENT reference source for mystery writers. I would go so far to say that any writer that incorporates a myster in their story should look at this book. Not only does it walk you through questions to ask and plot twist. But it also gives you a blueprint of the basics. I plan to use this blueprint for all stories not just mystery based ones. If every genre had a how to book like this it would make my life a whole lot easier.
J.F. Duncan
I couldn't be without this book. My copy is up on the 'Pride of Place' shelf of my library, tattered, broken spined, ink spattered and well-thumbed and whenever I feel afraid, it provides comfort and reassurance! Hallie Ephron gives sensible, realistic, astute advice with good humour and the wisdom of experience. Her section on re-drafting is particularly excellent. I've read a lot of books about writing crime novels and, out of them all, this is the one that really works for me!
Lindah
Excellent road map for producing a sound and polished mystery! One of two books I certainly hope to acknowledge should I be persistent and lucky enough to be published. It will remain on my go-to bookshelf for continued guidance!
S.E. Shurtleff
This is a great nuts and bolts book. Plus, just reading it has helped me figure out some of my plot problems in my middle grade WIP. Wa-hoo!

This book is right up there with Carolyn Wheat's "How to Write Killer Fiction."
Lee Thompson
A great how-to book that hits some broad topics in writing and selling Mysteries. It also features a lot of writing exercises and examples that are fun and interesting.
Deanna
It's a must-read for anyone who wants to take on writing a mystery novel. Loved it.
Tori Montes
This book is great as a tool for writers. As a person I learn from examples and there are plenty here. I especially love the example by Robert Parker and his character Spencer. I loved the way Parker introduces Spencer with the dialog and give his attitude to us on the first page.
Donna Glaser
Loved it! I still use it as a refernce.
Elizabeth Esse
A great writing resource, no matter the genre.
Xabiribrahim
Xabiribrahim marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Kay Shapiro
Kay Shapiro marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Homerun2
Homerun2 marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Nadia
Nadia marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Margaret Gi
Margaret Gi marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
xin bo zhao tzu
xin bo zhao tzu marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Talia
Talia marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Mona El Ashry
Mona El Ashry marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Brendan
Brendan marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
cEe beE
cEe beE marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Nolan Yard
Nolan Yard is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2014
  • How to Write Killer Fiction: The Funhouse of Mystery & the Roller Coaster of Suspense
  • Police Procedure & Investigation: A Guide for Writers
  • How to Write a Damn Good Mystery: A Practical Step-by-Step Guide from Inspiration to Finished Manuscript
  • Writing Mysteries
  • Forensics: A Guide for Writers
  • Writing the Novel: From Plot to Print
  • Bullies, Bastards & Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
  • The Weekend Novelist
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • How to Write a Dirty Story: Reading, Writing, and Publishing Erotica
  • Description & Setting
  • Writing the Paranormal Novel: Techniques and Exercises for Weaving Supernatural Elements Into Your Story.
  • On Writing Horror: A Handbook by the Horror Writers Association
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters
Hallie Ephron (http://hallieephron.com) is the author of suspense novels. Her last three have all been Mary Higgins Clark Award finalists.

Her newest, There Was an Old Woman is set in the Bronx. In it, a young woman and a very old woman connect across generations in spite of, or perhaps because, they are not related. Tess Gerritsen on TWAOL: “Superb suspense and unforgettable characters!” Washingt

More about Hallie Ephron...
Never Tell a Lie There Was an Old Woman 1001 Books for Every Mood Come and Find Me The Bibliophile's Devotional: 365 Days of Literary Classics