Start by marking “The Deep Blue Sea: A Book of Colors” as Want to Read:
The Deep Blue Sea: A Book of Colors

The Deep Blue Sea: A Book of Colors

Bestselling author Audrey Wood and artist son Bruce create a cumulative concept book about colors, with more of the vivid imagery that has made their alphabet books so successful!

Readers will love learning their colors with this brightly illustrated, cumulative picture book by bestselling author Audrey Wood and her dynamic, digital-artist son, Bruce. Starting with a rock,
Published September 1st 2005 by The Blue Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about The Deep Blue Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deep Blue Sea

Heidi-Marie
Fun! Immediately I thought of the feltboard possibility with this book. The building nature of the story, the colors the kids are learning, and the objects they are mostly familiar with will be great. And it uses the word "fishies." Totally has me! I'll just have to get some felt stuffs ready and we're good to go!!

4/14/11 Fabulous. With both groups. Instead of felt, I printed out coloring pages (of varying sizes) for each of the items in the story. Then I spent last night coloring with my 20+ ye
Andrea
Mar 08, 2016 Andrea rated it really liked it

Wood, Audrey. The Deep Blue Sea. Scholastic, 2005.

This notable book reveals common objects that match their colors very well. This allows the early reader to relate to the familiar objects like a rock, tree, butterfly and the sea. Children will love to learn their colors through the bright digitally illustrated pictures done by the author’s son, Bruce Wood. The text is simple and repetitive so that the preschooler or kindergartner can participate in the story’s engaging and repeating words that
Robert
Feb 17, 2012 Robert rated it liked it
This is a simple book, but wonderfully done. I found it sitting on our coffee table. I imagine it belongs in my son's room.

This is a repetitive book. There's a blue sea. There's a red rock on the blue sea. There's a green tree on the red rock on the blue sea, etc.

The accompanying illustrations are vibrant. Fish appear. A rainbow shows up. As does a cloud and rain.

This is a good book for toddlers/younger children who are learning their colors and/or reading.
M Lee
Oct 07, 2015 M Lee rated it it was amazing
I think this is an excellent book for early readers. The drawings are bright and engaging. The words are simple, repetitive, and describing colors and common objects such as a rock, sea, butterfly - things that kids are familiar with. Some words like "red" and "blue", are colored accordingly, making it fun and easy for kids to read.
Amanda
Apr 19, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. The way it introduced colors to the younger elementary aged students was very well done. The idea of repetition was also done in a way for the students to remember and visualize very well. I would use this in a kindergarten class when reviewing or learning colors. The illustrations were so simple yet stood out so well.
Kate
Jan 03, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
The illustrations in this book are absolutely amazing. There isn't really a storyline to the book--it's very simple and repetitive, so it's a great one to use with really young kids. After the first few pages, they can really help "read" the story. I always get distracted by the illustrations, though.
Brooke
Jan 22, 2013 Brooke rated it really liked it
The Deep Blue Sea: A Book of Colors is a beginners book that focuses on teaching children their colors. The book describes an island in the sea with specific color descriptions. In the text each color word in the text is written in its designated color.
Sarah Herrington
Jun 07, 2014 Sarah Herrington rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I was doing an ocean theme with my Kindergartner, so I grabbed this one for my toddler. He LOVED it. The illustrations are enjoyable and vibrant and I love the way it's repetitive, but also "builds". Great concept book on colors!
Jana Clegg
Oct 08, 2008 Jana Clegg rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this with Sadie because of the pattern of the text. Sadie wanted me to read over and over and over again. She got to where she could finish the sentences for me when I would pause to see if she would do just that. Not only that but she is learning her colors. This is a great book!
Matthew
Mar 27, 2013 Matthew rated it liked it
This very simple book that focuses primarily on color recognition, employs consistent repetition and vivid, colorful illustrations to enrich the text. It is an effective read-aloud selection for younger grades and worked well for kindergarten and first grade classes.
Nadia
Mar 01, 2012 Nadia rated it it was ok
Not Shakespeare, but my son liked it. Really repetitive. But did he know all his colors w/ no issues after the 50 billionth time? Indeedy.
Miss Sarah
Aug 05, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: colors, ocean
a cute introduction to colors. Each page adds a different colored object to the blue sea and builds up to a rainbow. Simple and very toddler appropriate. Cute extension too.
Theresa
Jan 11, 2015 Theresa rated it really liked it
The Deep Blue Sea: A Book of Colors by audry wood is a book about naming colors building a picture story one step at a time. and early reader found in a 2/3 classroom
Lisa Arthur
Apr 19, 2013 Lisa Arthur rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think the illustration make the picture book. They are so real and life like. I enjoy how each new item that you read about pops out on the page!
Joelle
Aug 18, 2008 Joelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: toddlers, preschoolers
Shelves: childrens, own
Both of my kids (now 4 and 2) LOVE this book. They have it memorized. It's definitely one of our favorites.
Jenny
Jan 21, 2009 Jenny rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I usually like the Woods books but this one is low down on my list. Nice bright colors but the story and illustrations didn't do much for me.
Molly Darr
This book allows children to explore colors through the ocean. The Deep Blue Sea would be for younger children. It would be very useful in the classroom when discussing colors.
A
Mar 14, 2016 A rated it liked it
Introduces various colors by presenting a colorful scene on a rock in the deep blue sea.

short read aloud to talk about colors
Janae
Feb 12, 2013 Janae rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I would give this 3.5 stars. It's a unique idea for teaching colors to children - very simple and straightforward with repetition.
Leah
Jul 16, 2011 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens_books
THE DEEP BLUE SEA: A BOOK OF COLORS is another great picture book teaching children the concept of colors that uses two page spreads, bright pictures and simple text.
Alysha Gaskins
Sep 21, 2015 Alysha Gaskins rated it it was amazing
This is my preschool class favorite book right now. They love the repetition and the simple pictures.
Amy
This book gradually incorporated a different color into the ocean scene. This would be a wonderful book for preschoolers and introducing the colors to them.
Alexandria Hiam

short read aloud to talk about colors
Julie
Nov 05, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-pals
The kids enjoyed the silly story. The color words were printed in each color in bold, which really helped reinforce the message of the book.
Maggie KutsBorg
Aug 06, 2014 Maggie KutsBorg rated it it was ok
Shelves: colors
MOTHER OF GOD. These hideous illustrations are such a turn off. I hate them. But the text is awesome!
Mickey Reville
Oct 05, 2015 Mickey Reville rated it really liked it
Shelves: beginner-books
A book with colorful pictures designed to teach colors. A great book to use to teach early readers colors.
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2007
Linda Garcia
Linda Garcia rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
Molly
Molly rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2009
Annamarie Carlson
Annamarie Carlson rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2016
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs
  • Baby Bear Sees Blue
  • Bears on Chairs
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Let's Go Visiting
  • Lunch
  • Too Purpley!
  • Bear Sees Colors
  • School Bus
Audrey Wood studied art and drama at the Arkansas Art Center in Little Rock, Arkansas. She has owned an operated a book and import store, taught chldren's drama and art, and traveled throughout Mexico and Guatemala studying Indian folk art. She now lives in Hawaii with her talented family (husband Don and son Bruce, who have both collaborated with Audrey by illustrating some of her books).
More about Audrey Wood...