Start by marking “A Lesson of Love: The Revelations of Julian of Norwich” as Want to Read:
A Lesson of Love: The Revelations of Julian of Norwich

A Lesson of Love: The Revelations of Julian of Norwich

A translation by Fr. John-Julian, OJN, from the Middle English of Julian of Norwich
Paperback, Unabridged edition, 312 pages
Published January 5th 2003 by Writers Club Press (first published May 1988)

To ask other readers questions about A Lesson of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lesson of Love

Sep 01, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I had previously read the original version of this book which is in very archaic English. I knew that to get true value out of what Julian had to say I needed a more modern version, and this one is excellent. In his introduction, the translator calls Julian a "thelogoical optimist." She recounts her encounter with a loving Jesus who told her that "all will be well." There is much inspiration and food for thought in this volumne. The language is almost poetical. I loved the way she balanced the ...more
Merri-Todd Webster
Jan 22, 2010 Merri-Todd Webster rated it it was amazing
A lyrical translation of this medieval classic, arranged in sense lines and separated into small segments for daily reading. Julian begins with a series of very concrete, specific visions of Christ's Passion, experienced during severe illness, and in her reflections moves slowly into the highest depths of theology. The translator is the founder of the Order of Julian of Norwich, an order of contemplative monastics in the Episcopal Church U.S.A. which includes both men and women.
Harry Allagree
Jun 08, 2016 Harry Allagree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the most important book, outside the Bible & possibly The Imitation of Christ, for my spiritual life that I've ever read. Julian was the first woman to write in the English language. To have written such wisdom with such insight in the 14th century is beyond remarkable. I'm sure it will remain a companion to me long into the future!
Royce
Aug 02, 2011 Royce added it
Hard to judge a book on religious matters ... what is good for some may not be for others, but I gained some new insights, and I do think the translation is a good one. If you compare the original with this, you can see the translator (Fr. John-Julian, OJN) did a lot of work to make it more readable, and, if anything, enhancing the sense of the words, as well.
BeverlyDiane
BeverlyDiane rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2014
Gillian
Gillian rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2012
Kathy Fitzner
Kathy Fitzner rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2013
David Austin
David Austin rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Harry Allagree
Harry Allagree rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2013
David Simmons
David Simmons rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2012
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Apr 26, 2014
Carol
Carol is currently reading it
May 16, 2013
Linda
Linda is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2013
Douglas Snyder
Douglas Snyder marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Marcia
Marcia marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Megan Fisher
Megan Fisher marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Cynthia Pattison
Cynthia Pattison marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Sophia
Sophia added it
Apr 05, 2016
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
E;Izabeth Oakes
E;Izabeth Oakes marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Anisa
Anisa marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Tabitha
Tabitha marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Karen Lamb
Karen Lamb marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Vania Perez
Vania Perez marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Elizabeth Hills
Elizabeth Hills marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
T
T marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2016
Joan HAMLIN
Joan HAMLIN marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2016
Julian of Norwich was the most important English mystic of the 14th century. Her spirituality is strongly Trinitarian and basically Neoplatonic.

In her Revelations of Divine Love Julian relates that in May 1373, when she was 30 years old, she suffered a serious illness. After she had been administered extreme unction, she received 16 revelations within the span of a few hours. When she wrote her Re
More about Julian of Norwich...