Start by marking “The Original Girl's Handy Book” as Want to Read:
The Original Girl's Handy Book

The Original Girl's Handy Book

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  158 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
A reprint of a gay nineties publication for young ladies instructing them in such hobbies as fancy needlework, handmade dolls, china painting, painting in oils, heraldic painting, preservation of wild flowers, and many others.
Published October 15th 2007 by Tess Press (first published 1887)

To ask other readers questions about The Original Girl's Handy Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Original Girl's Handy Book

Aneesa
Feb 28, 2015 Aneesa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with kids, feminists
Shelves: how-to
Since this is more of a reference work, I haven't read the entire thing, but I can tell you that it includes: helpful information on such subjects as how to preserve and send flowers in the mail, how to weave a tennis net or hammock, exercises for in or outside, and candy recipes; games, practical jokes, and amusements that I plan to try out, including mad libs, "five minute conversations," and how to celebrate the leap year; historical information on the pagan origins of Christian holidays and ...more
Kristyne
Mar 09, 2009 Kristyne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of preteens
Shelves:
Fantastic! This book was first written in 1892 and is great on ideas for what to do with kids indoors (we've had a cold winter) and is very amusing as far as cost of items go. (I think it said an easel will cost around a dollar). But the ideas are still true and there's something about making quality stuff yourself that never goes out of style. Not like the watered down craft books written today about making paper plate puppets that any 3 year old can do. Written for girls probably age 8-11 but ...more
David R. Godine
Apr 26, 2010 David R. Godine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"In the Beard sisters' version, 'the American girl' ranges in age from eight to eighteen. Healthy and spirited, she thinks nothing of taking a ten-mile 'romp' through woods and fields with a group of friends, and collects flowers and leaves for preservation or presentation to friends and relations. Above all, however, the Beards' girl is handy. She can make a hat rack, a screen, or a bookshelf; fashion a macrame hammock or a cornhusk doll; and draw, paint, sculpt, or decorate a room.
The America
Vonze (Yvonne)
An adorable book that I randomly bought while visiting the Juliette Gordon Low house (founder of the Girl Scouts) in Savannah, GA. It has a lot of old timey projects that could still be enjoyed by crafters, families, and kids today. I could see an elementary school teacher using this for ideas. It has projects for every holiday.

I'd really like to check out The American Boy's Handy Book as well. Apparently, Turn-Of-The-Century Girls were obsessed with pressing, arranging, and drying flowers. Whic
Melanie Kay
Shelves: kids-nf-books
Notes:
outdated
Camille
I borrowed this interesting book from the library. It provided a fun glimpse into the childhoods of girls long since grown. Some of the ideas were for things I expected to find - china painting or learning to walk with a cup of water balanced on your head. Others, like making a telephone out of cow bladders or weaving a 26 foot lawn tennis net, were more surprising. Reading about the different ways they celebrated the holidays was insightful as well. Some things have really changed, others, not ...more
This book is filled with all kinds of fun ideas & the writing is delightful

written in 1887 it is full of beautiful language and entries from the authors like

"In the girls handy book which it has been our endeavor to make peculiarly American, we have sought to introduce original and novel ideas, and by their aid to open new avenues of enterprise and enjoyment."
I love reading this book

Sandra
Feb 09, 2012 Sandra rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
This book is written from a prairie girl style (like Little House) but it is full of craft ideas. They seem to be dated ideas as I enjoyed reading it but I didn't find any craft projects of interest to me (which is a shocker cuz I love crafting!).

Might be more of an interest to a younger reader as more of an adventure than a craft book.

Effie
How much fun was this to read? The authors don't follow the Victorian standard of thinking that girls should sit indoors and embroider. They believe that American girls are capable of anything, whether it's erecting a home gymnasium to exercise in, taking a ten-mile walk with friends, or building a simple hammock one afternoon.
Kim
Think of this as the Girl Scout book for those that aren't interested in joining.

There's all sorts of helpful things in here for decorating, hobbies and more.
Set up by season some of the included are how to press flowers, sewing (stitches) Painting, and more
Meltha
Mar 25, 2016 Meltha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frankly, not as much fun as the Boys Handy Book (its the 1870s, I think, so girls doing much of anything was still a pretty radical concept), but this is a heck of a good peek into a childhood nobody really gets to have anymore.
Emily
Nov 05, 2007 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i just love this little book, well its a sort of big book, but it gives me warm fuzzies to think about corn husk dolls and hand knotted hammocks and well i must admit the american boys handy book is a bit more fun!
Erika
Nov 25, 2007 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: etiquette
GREAT BOOK! A reprint of a girl's craft and party ideas published in the 1890's - some of the ideas are wonderful, and some are downright creepy. Good reading.
Kat
Nov 09, 2014 Kat rated it it was ok
This is not a book for reading all the way through. Outdated and archaic. But charming as a glimpse into the time period. Not a book I'll keep around.
Cera
Apr 23, 2009 Cera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really cool glimpse into late 19th century life. I can't imagine that I'd ever have the patience to do some of these projects, though!
Helen
Oct 11, 2012 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature-crafts
Arcane but wonderful back to basics crafts, nature, learning and fun for children - and us! :)
Genevieve Allen
Jun 12, 2009 Genevieve Allen is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I should've stuck with the boys version. The girl activities are boring!!
Sally
Feb 28, 2008 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafty, for-kids
Reprint of an old-timey book abou 100 years old. Great fun.
Rachel Thompson
Apr 22, 2008 Rachel Thompson rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I've read snippets, but this is not a sit down and read book.
Miya
Jul 02, 2008 Miya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full of um... infinite possiblities? Anyway I love it!
Suz
Dec 23, 2007 Suz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this a while ago. It was great. :)
Rachel
Lots and lots of good ideas.
Jenny
Rachel
Rachel added it
Jun 22, 2016
China Long
China Long rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
AMRITA
AMRITA rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
  • American Boys Handy Book
  • All Year Round: Christian Calendar of Celebrations
  • Forgotten Arts and Crafts
  • Foxfire 6
  • Reader's Digest Back to Basics: How to Learn and Enjoy Traditional American Skills
  • The Daring Book for Girls
  • Stolen Sharpie Revolution: A DIY Zine Resource
  • The Craftsman's Handbook
  • Land & Environmental Art
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Explorabook: A Kid's Science Museum in a Book
  • The Anatomy Murders: Being the True and Spectacular History of Edinburgh's Notorious Burke and Hare and of the Man of Science Who Abetted Them in the Commission of Their Most Heinous Crimes
  • Wildwood Wisdom
  • Lost Crafts
  • Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children's Storytelling
  • The Beatles Lyrics: The Stories Behind the Music, Including the Handwritten Drafts of More Than 100 Classic Beatles Songs
  • 2-at-a-Time Socks: Revealed Inside. . . The Secret of Knitting Two at Once on One Circular Needle; Works for any Sock Pattern!
  • Pioneer Women: The Lives of Women on the Frontier