Start by marking “Justice and the Politics of Difference” as Want to Read:
Justice and the Politics of Difference

Justice and the Politics of Difference

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  196 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
This book challenges the prevailing philosophical reduction of social justice to distributive justice. It critically analyzes basic concepts underlying most theories of justice, including impartiality, formal equality, and the unitary moral subjectivity. Starting from claims of excluded groups about decision making, cultural expression, and division of labor, Iris Young de ...more
Published September 6th 1990 by Princeton University Press (first published August 17th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Justice and the Politics of Difference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Justice and the Politics of Difference

Jamie
Dec 09, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing
I think I worship Iris Marion Young.
Gill
Feb 18, 2009 Gill rated it really liked it
Shelves: academic
An interesting read for those interested in justice, oppression, and resistance. What do these things have in common? Moreover, how do we bind together through all our differences and fight against oppression.

She critiques idea of impartiality in justice and law. She shows the scaling of bodies, where we locate justice. We must unite as groups of people because we are oppressed as groups of people. Economics is not the only oppression. Five faces of oppression are: exploitation, marginalization,
Bigg Khalil
Jun 05, 2007 Bigg Khalil rated it it was amazing
I bought this book after reading an excerpt of the five faces of oppression (one of her chapters) in a social justice reader I assigned as text in a class I co-taught. Then I only read the 5 faces chapter. Years later, I went through the entire book. While I typically disagree with making a concept such as oppression so essentialized, I like how Young took that and applied it throughout the book. This is an excellent read for those interested in social justice philosophy and for those who wish t ...more
Li Sian
Feb 13, 2015 Li Sian rated it really liked it
What a really thought-provoking book - Iris Marion Young rejects the distributive paradigm in justice discourse, arguing that we should really be talking about power dynamics and oppression as a structural concept. Interestingly, for her welfare capitalism represses political difference because it reduces that to a question of distribution - how much to distribute? What technologies to use to distribute? - when we should be asking more fundamental questions about how power works.

I think the most
Claire Melanie
Apr 07, 2016 Claire Melanie rated it it was amazing
Incredibly thought provoking and lucid application of critical theory to late modern capitalist systems in liberal democratic countries. Very well considered and persuasive
Claire M
Apr 12, 2016 Claire M rated it it was amazing
The pinnacle of thought-provoking political theory. I loved it and could not get Young's theories out of my head.
Anthony Del Signore
Mar 02, 2016 Anthony Del Signore rated it really liked it
Refreshing read. Good for a senior capstone course in philosophy and/or political theory.
Matt
Apr 04, 2009 Matt marked it as only-have-read-certain-parts-of-it
I read all of it (for a college class) except the last chapter on affirmative action and the "myth of merit." I remember it as a book that argued for a critical understanding of and affirmation for group differences, and for ideals of justice that make room for these differences. Pretty thick at times, but the arguments were well-laid out, as I can still recall points she made all these years later.
Elle
Nov 30, 2009 Elle rated it really liked it
Arguing that theories of justice concerned with the distribution of goods ignore institutional oppression, Young illuminates these forms of oppression and suggests an alternate way of dealing with plurality. Although I feel she does not arrive at a solution, I am grateful for her insights into how oppression works, and wish these could be addressed. It's an effort worthy of more than consideration.
Kathleen
May 27, 2011 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Chapters four and six are some of my favorite chapters out of any political theory book. Young's rejection of universal humanism in chapter four is a devastating critique of universal humanism and other "impartial" ideals (like colorblindness, etc.). The clearest rejection of universal humanism I have come across. Great for teaching about the privileges of dominant groups.
Joan
Apr 27, 2009 Joan rated it really liked it
I especially appreciate Young's definitions of oppression; in particular, cultural imperialism. "The culturally dominated undergo a paradoxical oppression, in that they are both marked out by stereotype and at the same time rendered invisible." Just about the most succinct summing up of that aspect of my life as I have ever read.
Rachel
Oct 31, 2007 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: socialjustice
I read this in college in a course on Race and Ethnicity. This book was really helpful to me, and it also sparked my interest in workplace democracy.
Peter
May 24, 2011 Peter rated it it was ok
it was just too much for me! i stopped at page 91 of 260. i wanted to get really into it and i did..... but only for moments. oh well. [sigh]
Shiffy
Shiffy marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Christy
Christy is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2016
Jack Robertson
Jack Robertson marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Gabriel Alonso arias
Gabriel Alonso arias marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Erin
Erin added it
Apr 26, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Bill
Bill rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Li-anne
Li-anne marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Ahmed
Ahmed marked it as to-read
K.M.
K.M. rated it did not like it
Ahmed
Ahmed marked it as to-read
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
David George
David George is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2016
Aia
Aia marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Jessica Nosalski
Jessica Nosalski marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Prasanna
Prasanna marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
  • Power and Powerlessness: Quiescence and Rebellion in an Appalachian Valley
  • States of Injury: Power and Freedom in Late Modernity
  • Zoopolis: A Political Theory of Animal Rights
  • Justice, Gender, and the Family
  • Life's Dominion
  • Between Facts & Norms: Contributions to a Discourse Theory of Law & Democracy (Studies in Contemporary German Social Thought)
  • The Struggle for Recognition: The Moral Grammar of Social Conflicts
  • Critical Theory: Selected Essays
  • Big Little Book of Whispers
  • On the Genealogy of Morality & Other Writings
  • Renaissance 2.0: Carnival of Characters, Crusades, and Causes
  • From My Mother
  • Passions of the Mind: Selected Writings
  • The Politics of the Family and Other Essays
  • Next Generation Democracy: What the Open-Source Revolution Means for Power, Politics, and Change
  • Down to the Wire: Confronting Climate Collapse