Start by marking “Justice and the Politics of Difference” as Want to Read:
Justice and the Politics of Difference

Justice and the Politics of Difference

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This book challenges the prevailing philosophical reduction of social justice to distributive justice. It critically analyzes basic concepts underlying most theories of justice, including impartiality, formal equality, and the unitary moral subjectivity. Starting from claims of excluded groups about decision making, cultural expression, and division of labor, Iris Young de ...more
Published September 6th 1990 by Princeton University Press (first published August 17th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Justice and the Politics of Difference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Justice and the Politics of Difference

Jamie
I think I worship Iris Marion Young.
Gill
An interesting read for those interested in justice, oppression, and resistance. What do these things have in common? Moreover, how do we bind together through all our differences and fight against oppression.

She critiques idea of impartiality in justice and law. She shows the scaling of bodies, where we locate justice. We must unite as groups of people because we are oppressed as groups of people. Economics is not the only oppression. Five faces of oppression are: exploitation, marginalization,
Bigg Khalil
I bought this book after reading an excerpt of the five faces of oppression (one of her chapters) in a social justice reader I assigned as text in a class I co-taught. Then I only read the 5 faces chapter. Years later, I went through the entire book. While I typically disagree with making a concept such as oppression so essentialized, I like how Young took that and applied it throughout the book. This is an excellent read for those interested in social justice philosophy and for those who wish t ...more
Li
What a really thought-provoking book - Iris Marion Young rejects the distributive paradigm in justice discourse, arguing that we should really be talking about power dynamics and oppression as a structural concept. Interestingly, for her welfare capitalism represses political difference because it reduces that to a question of distribution - how much to distribute? What technologies to use to distribute? - when we should be asking more fundamental questions about how power works.

I think the most
Matt
Apr 04, 2009 Matt marked it as only-have-read-certain-parts-of-it
I read all of it (for a college class) except the last chapter on affirmative action and the "myth of merit." I remember it as a book that argued for a critical understanding of and affirmation for group differences, and for ideals of justice that make room for these differences. Pretty thick at times, but the arguments were well-laid out, as I can still recall points she made all these years later.
Elle
Arguing that theories of justice concerned with the distribution of goods ignore institutional oppression, Young illuminates these forms of oppression and suggests an alternate way of dealing with plurality. Although I feel she does not arrive at a solution, I am grateful for her insights into how oppression works, and wish these could be addressed. It's an effort worthy of more than consideration.
Kathleen
Chapters four and six are some of my favorite chapters out of any political theory book. Young's rejection of universal humanism in chapter four is a devastating critique of universal humanism and other "impartial" ideals (like colorblindness, etc.). The clearest rejection of universal humanism I have come across. Great for teaching about the privileges of dominant groups.
Joan
I especially appreciate Young's definitions of oppression; in particular, cultural imperialism. "The culturally dominated undergo a paradoxical oppression, in that they are both marked out by stereotype and at the same time rendered invisible." Just about the most succinct summing up of that aspect of my life as I have ever read.
Rachel
I read this in college in a course on Race and Ethnicity. This book was really helpful to me, and it also sparked my interest in workplace democracy.
Peter
it was just too much for me! i stopped at page 91 of 260. i wanted to get really into it and i did..... but only for moments. oh well. [sigh]
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Bree
Bree marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Jana
Jana added it
Jul 27, 2015
Michael A.
Michael A. marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
The Ninja Squirrel
The Ninja Squirrel marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Lisa Chaffey
Lisa Chaffey marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Sojin Kim
Sojin Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Leni
Leni added it
Jul 06, 2015
Disha Kaushal
Disha Kaushal marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Zyanya Bazely
Zyanya Bazely marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Kody
Kody marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Tóth Szilárd
Tóth Szilárd marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
E.F.
E.F. added it
Jun 07, 2015
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
  • Power and Powerlessness: Quiescence and Rebellion in an Appalachian Valley
  • States of Injury: Power and Freedom in Late Modernity
  • Critical Theory: Selected Essays
  • Between Facts & Norms: Contributions to a Discourse Theory of Law & Democracy (Studies in Contemporary German Social Thought)
  • Life's Dominion
  • Spheres of Justice: A Defense of Pluralism and Equality
  • The Politics of the Family and Other Essays
  • Passions of the Mind: Selected Writings
  • Big Little Book of Whispers
  • On the Genealogy of Morality & Other Writings
  • Politics and Vision: Continuity and Innovation in Western Political Thought
  • Readings for Diversity and Social Justice: An Anthology on Racism, Sexism, Anti-Semitism, Heterosexism, Classism, and Ableism
  • Frontiers of Justice Disability, Nationality, Species Membership (OIP): Disability, Nationality, Species Membership (Tanner Lectures on Human Values) (The Tanner Lectures on Human Values)
  • Renaissance 2.0: Carnival of Characters, Crusades, and Causes
  • The Sexual Contract
  • Modern Social Imaginaries
  • Responsibility and Judgment
  • The Social Construction of What?
On Female Body Experience: Throwing Like a Girl and Other Essays Inclusion and Democracy Responsibility for Justice Intersecting Voices: Dilemmas of Gender, Political Philosophy, and Policy Equality