Start by marking “What an Earl Wants” as Want to Read:
What an Earl Wants

What an Earl Wants (Sinclairs #1)

What's a lord to do?

The devilishly attractive Earl of Sinclair is having trouble holding onto servants, what with so many of them pairing up and running off to be wed. Luckily, his able new secretary, J. Quincy, seems scrupulously loyal, and possesses the invaluable ability to flawlessly forge the master's signature. But imagine Sinclair's surprise when he discovers the
Published December 28th 2004 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about What an Earl Wants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What an Earl Wants

Not Now...Mommy's Reading
The story was...cute. I enjoyed the verbal sparring between Sinclair and Quincy and their blossoming relationship was quite believable. The antics of the secondary characters made for an enjoyable read, as well.

However, I soon tired of Jo's "masquerade" when it was evident to me only a few chapters in that almost everyone who met her acquaintance saw right through her disguise.

A light easy read that most would enjoy.
Jasha Gutierrez
I have got to give this the BEST ending ever!

SO...What an Earl Wants is a delightful read. I LOVE every bits of it. Well, nearly every bits of it. There is a part on the near ending when the heroine grated my nerves. Sometimes i wanna shout at her DECORUM BE DAMNED! IF YOU LOVE HIM WHO CARES ABOUT SCANDALS! .

It's one of the reasons why i LOVE this generation. Imagine if i live in a time where a nobel womans duty is to go to parties, produce babies, turn a blind eye if her husband is cheating.
Jul 05, 2013 Julie rated it liked it
sweet, at times humorous, romance about an earl recovering from a debilitating war injury and an almost engagement whose household staff keep falling in love and running off. To fill the vacancy after his secretary runs off with a maid, Benjamin Sinclaire hires J Quincy, who is great at organization and delightfully impertinant...and also a woman in disguise. Jo (Josephine) needs to support a younger sister and a grandmother after her father's death left them penniless, so she continues the ruse ...more
A sweet, light, almost clean Regency romance about Joseph(ine) Quincy masquerading as a male secretary to save enough funds to pay for a country cottage for her grandma and younger sister. And her employer, Earl of Sinclair who's returned from war to find his household in a series of upheavals due to various staff members running off together. Sinclair figures out that his secretary is female soon after she joins work, and finds himself irresistibly attracted to her. Almost everyone she meets ca ...more
Feb 15, 2013 Camy rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. The book had a very interesting story premise, and it was not as unbelievable as other books I've read where the heroine dresses up as a man. At one point, it was a little hard to believe no one realizes she's a man for that long, but on a whole, the author carried this plot point very well.

I enjoyed the first 2/3 of the book. The heroine is feisty and Lady Serena is a good villainess.

However, the last 1/3 of the book were only so-so for me. I liked the hero's vulnerability in this pa
Diane Peterson
Aug 14, 2014 Diane Peterson rated it liked it
3.5 Stars. A very pleasant story with likeable characters. It was a bit slow and didn't have much intimate contact between them. I liked the emotions involved, but was a little disappointed with the way it ends.
My feelings toward this book are in the "blegh" category. When you have to force yourself to finish a book, you know it's definitely not a favorite. This is one of my favorite scenarios in a book and this version just seemed...stale. Halfway through I was bored. I don't like dnfing, but I seriously considered it for this one. Sorry, Shirley Karr, but this book was totally not worth the four dollars I paid for it.
The characters and the premise were good and well thought-out,but something about th
Lynn ಠ_ಠ
Dec 29, 2011 Lynn ಠ_ಠ rated it liked it
By right 2 stars would be more accurate since this book was just 'okay' to me but it was a pretty fun and light read so I gave it 3 stars.

The one thing that was constantly on my mind whole time I was reading this book...the mental image I have of Sinclair is that of a mischievous little boy instead of a grown man for some reason. It took me awhile to figure out why he felt different from the heroes I've encountered in other books. I've been indulging in a lot of reading lately (hooray for precio
Jul 26, 2016 Silvia rated it it was amazing

I LOVED IT, this was the first book of shierly karr that i read and i absolutely loved and adored it..the story beautifully written, the character were alive , the conversation and the hilarious moment ..all of it satisfied me

quincy was a remarkable woman, shes support her family and become a man to get a job and shes very good at it, shes smart, diligent, sharp, full of compasion toward the other and shes head over heel with sinclair

sinclair was amazing man, hes knew his pas
What a fabulous book! I think the book is worthy of a lot more praise and rates than it's getting. It's a not your usual historical romance. The heroine really a particular woman, firstly, I was attached her lively humor, what frequently to be brightened are her special qualities. In conversation between she and the hero, her thoughtfulness is punctuated by an easy wit. She's also brave, (view spoiler) ...more
Mar 21, 2012 Amanda added it
I really enjoyed this novel the H/H had good dialogue between each other. The development of their relationship was paced in a way that didnt make it seem like things where moving along too fast. The chatter was witty and sweet Quincy was smart and caring, but tough. Sinclair was yummily manly but gentle and caring though he DID have drinking issues. I hated Serena venomous witch. But I wish the ending was more. I hated that Quincy fought so long it just didnt make sense...
Sep 01, 2013 Ana rated it it was ok
The beginning was satisfactory and I was intrigued by Mr. Quincy. Unfortunately 3/4s into the book, the story started going around in circles and soon enough all I wanted was the whole rigmarole to end! There were a lot of unnecessary trials that could have been easily resolved. But it went on and on until the book just lost me. I skimmed through the rest of the pages just to see what finally happened to the two lovebirds. :(
Jan 11, 2016 Nenya rated it it was amazing
reread 1/11/16: 4stars to 5stars. it just got better ;).
no, it's just that if it was worth reading again, and enjoyable, then i figured it deserved 5 stars.
the beginning was fantastic (first one-third). story kindda dipped and dragged along a few times, too much towards the end, but it was still a nice, sweet read. 5 stars it is.
May 07, 2009 Annettedavis rated it liked it
I have to preface my review by saying I normally DON'T LIKE romance novels. However, I went to high school with Shrley and she was a good friend. I was greatly entertained by her book and found her humor and sparkle in each page I turned. So, I am giving it 3 stars, which is probably the highest rating I'll ever give a romance novel.
Aug 03, 2016 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This was an ok book. I rated it 3 stars because it made me laugh. The plausibility of the story is zero, but the story itself was fine. If you set aside believability and enjoy Regency era romance, you will enjoy this book.
Apr 04, 2016 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this when it was first published around 2004, and I rated it at 5*. Although it does seem a little dated I would still rate it as 5*.
I love this story and the characters within. It did seem like I would never get to the end, but it is witty and still a great story!
Jun 06, 2012 Estelahe rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
So aside from the hilarious title and cover, for a historical romance it was pretty enjoyable. While I certainly don't believe the level of gender equality certainly doesn't seem believable for the time, it made the characters likable and it was sweet and funny.
Maggie Hesseling
Aug 05, 2016 Maggie Hesseling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
This novel holds a special place for me. It's the first HR I ever read and I love it so much I keep coming back to it. The characters and the humor are what got me out of a tough time. this is the novel that every now and then, when I need comfort I turn to. That's why I love it and always will.
Jun 23, 2016 Rosanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book

This is a. excellent book. The story about how Jo tries to support her family by being a man is riveting.
Loved this book! This is one I can see myself reading over and over...I want to turn it into a movie!
Samia Ruponti
Jan 03, 2014 Samia Ruponti rated it really liked it
one of my all time favourites for humor. it was funny, engaging and had likable characters. a great light read.
Mar 21, 2012 Eilla rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I can't say that I love or hate this book. It is really cute but I won't be recommending this or re-read. I don't even see the point of writing a review on it.
Delia rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2010
Ann rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2008
Lina rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
GCB-LovesGoodBooks rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2011
Cheryl Breza
Cheryl Breza rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Arriane rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2011
Meha rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2015
JL rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2012
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 30, 2016 12:29PM
  • Lady Of The Knight (Knights, #3;  The Brocade #4)
  • His Cavalry Lady
  • Almost A Gentleman
  • My Wicked Earl
  • Lady Rogue
  • Lady Folbroke's Delicious Deception (Mills & Boon Historical)
  • Splendor
  • Seduced
  • My Lady Notorious (Malloren, #1)
  • Sins of a Wicked Duke (The Penwich School for Virtuous Girls #1)
  • Unlacing the Innocent Miss (Regency Silk & Scandal, #6)
  • How to Disgrace a Lady (The Rakes Beyond Redemption #1)
  • To Catch a Rogue
  • The Last Knight
  • The Wedding Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #3)
  • The Bride Thief
  • The Courtship of Izzy McCree
  • The Earl and His Tiger (Red-Hot Regency)
Living in England as an Air Force brat gave Shirley Karr an appreciation for all things British. After a brief flirtation with journalism, she embraced the world of romance, trading headlines for happily-ever-afters. She lives in Portland, Oregon, with her hero husband of more than twenty years. (She swears she was a child bride.) When not writing, reading, napping, or researching, she designs jew ...more
More about Shirley Karr...

Sinclairs (2 books)
  • Kiss From a Rogue

“Having realized that her affection for Sinclair went far beyond friendship, there was only one thing for her to do. She took off her hat and banged her head against the nearest lamppost.
Also realizing she was drawing attention from passerby, she put her hat back on and resumed walking.”