Chaos Magic (Gods and Chaos, #1)

Chaos Magic (Gods and Chaos #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  407 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Sam is a broken young man, searching for temporary escape from his demons--inside and out. Running from abusive ex-lover Marcus, the God of Fear, Sam finds himself in the arms of the hottest man to step foot into his life: Hector. Hector proves to be the Daddy Sam needs and wants, but the road is a very rocky and often terrifying one. As Marcus digs his claws deeper into S...more
Published April 2007 by Torquere Press (first published 2007)

Submission by Chris OwenDomination by Chris OwenDiscipline by Chris OwenBondage by Chris OwenRough Canvas by Joey W. Hill
Best Gay BDSM
37th out of 559 books — 778 voters
Truth in the Dark by Amy LaneHis Hearth by Mary CalmesCounterpoint by Rachel HaimowitzBloodraven by P.L. NunnSkin Deep by S.W. Vaughn
Best Gay Elves, Gods, Deity & Wizards
9th out of 244 books — 247 voters

More lists with this book...

MLE
Mar 27, 2014 MLE rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm, hated
Disclaimer: This review is in no way meant to be a attack and/or judgment of anyone who lives the D/S lifestyle. Anything I say is aimed at the characters, and they relationship dynamic they have in this story.

I started this book not knowing it was D/S, and I kept reading knowing it wasn't exactly my cup of tea thinking maybe I would give it a couple of stars, and move on about my day. I was concerned by Hector's jealousy, the awful things he accused Sam of doing, the age gap, Hector's unceasin...more
Camille
My brain isn't offering up much besides "WTF!" at this moment, so this review is comprised of the scraps and scrapes I am able to eke out from the thin perimetre surrounding the wtf-ness that has expanded to dominate my brain's acreage at this point.

This should have been a ten star read for me. Polytheism / gods + open communication and worship of said deities + allegorisation of Fear, Love, Sex and Self-Realisation + being "right up my big daddy alley" = written just for me.

I gave this two sta...more
A.B. Gayle
Sep 30, 2010 A.B. Gayle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to A.B. by: Kate
To prepare myself for writing a character who is into BDSM, I asked my Goodreads buddy, Kate, what were the best BDSM books she’d read. She named a few, half of which I already had, but one I hadn’t was “Chaos Magic” by Jay Lygon.
Crappy cover, no headless torso or hunky guys to perv over, just lots of purple and yellow and what looked like a shrine.
I started reading.
By page 3, I had emailed Kate to say that the book rocked. Well, actually the comment was “…love it already. That's what subs are l...more
JenMcJ
What a great unique take on the concept of gods and on the look at a D/s relationship. Finally for once a Dom that is not a mind reader, has his own issues and triggers and is by no interpretation, perfect. I am hooked and can't wait to read the next in the series.

This is not for the faint of heart though. The BDSM elements do get a bit extreme and so far they are more common than any real sex. Those scenes are erotic in their own way, but very little "making love" happens in this book.
ttg
A very creative romance that had parts that were completely inspired and other parts that I found uncomfortable and hard to read.

I LOVED the world that Lygon built—where Sam, a witch living in LA, could create gods out of regular people due to the intense power of his worship. Biker Angelina is the Goddess of Traffic; svelte Deal, the Goddess of Negotiation; neighbor Crash, the god of Computers, and abusive ex-boyfriend/master Marcus, the stinking God of Fear.

I loved the ways that Sam’s power fi...more
Lily
I love, love, love this book. It's like a breath of fresh air with it's concept of Gods and Magic mixed in with a BDSM Master/slave lifestyle. If BDSM is not a subject you're comfortable with this may not be the book for you but if you enjoy reading about it or want to try something new I have no doubt this book and the next two in the series will blow you away.

This is the story of Sam Dewey, a true submissive and "pain slut" who was hurt badly by his ex-lover Marcus, the God of Fear. Even thoug...more
Eve
This book has a terrible Amazon blurb - instead of being enticing it was actually offputting. It made the book sound like one of those pseudo-greek-mythology fictions that were popular a few years ago (possibly because the name Hector brought the Iliad to mind).

It would get recommended by GW, I would look at the blurb, and decide not to read it. Repeat and rinse from my memory and repeat again.

But so many readers whose opinion I trust kept praising the book, that I finally caved in, and it tur...more
Deanna
What a fantastic read! I love the gods/religion aspect. You can create a god just by praying to it. So there is a god of traffic and computer crashes etc... Such a fun, unique concept.

And frankly the sex is smoking hot. Sam is into spanking and rope bondage - oh yeah :D

I think the only thing that kept this from a 5 star read was some of the technical aspects of the gods & religion. I still have some questions in my mind - maybe those will be worked out in the following 2 books. But rest assu...more
Jason Huffman-black
I gave this one 5 stars because the descriptions of Sam's feelings and panics were so real that I felt them myself. I even cried at one point.

The problems that Sam is dealing with were something I could relate to and made my connection to this character very strong. I am eager to read the next in this series to see where we go from here. :)
SheReadsALot
"Chaos Magic" is not a typical M/M romance, in fact I wonder if it could be categorized as a romance. It's a pretty good story, has a good mix of fantasy, contemporary and the author's interpretation of mythology (which was unique - everyday people being Gods & Goddesses)

The beginning of the story took awhile to actually grasp my attention but once I finally became invested in "Chaos Magic", it became a pretty intense ride. For fans of BDSM and not sugar kink, this is a story you might appre...more
TheFountainPenDiva
Why I waited so long to read this book, I don't know, but the title fits perfectly. There is a lot of chaos--both good and bad--in this highly imaginative and highly hot BDSM M/M romance by Jay Lygon. Firstly and foremost, Lygon gets extra stars for his multicultural Long Beach/Belmont Shores setting and characters. Too many authors when setting their stories in Los Angeles, write about an L.A. that is somehow devoid of people of color, which is a freaking impossibility. What I loved was his Lon...more
Kerry
Having just read the reviews for this book, I can see that I am in the minority as to my opinion. And, I don't think that I'll be able to adequately describe why I'm only giving this book 2 stars, but I'll try.

Sam is trying to get over his past abusive relationship with Marcus. He thinks that he has found the perfect Dom in Hector, but no matter what Sam does to please Hector, Hector is rarely satisfied. And as Sam's frustration grows, so does my own. I felt no love between the characters. I wo...more
Arzu
I actually don't know what to feel after reading this book. I loved Sam. I could so feel and understand his anxieties, how he tried to do everything, even disappearing and losing his SELF and just being a bottomless shelf; just to please Hector, his jealous control-freak Master. It's obvious I didn't like him.

Nevertheless, I liked the book and will read the next in the series and see how this relationship develops.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I'm doing something I rarely do and that's leave a sort of review before I've finished. For all that everyone and their mother I know who has read this loves it I am really fighting myself to finish.

I'm quite sure I'm as frustrated as Sam at this point at about 40% in. To be honest I'm not seeing Hector as any great Dom. In fact I don't even think he's a very good Dom most of the time. Although I do participate in a BDSM lifestyle and I certainly read a ton of kinky books (of all types from tam...more
Kaje Harper
This book is wonderfully imaginative - for a long time I debated whether the paranormal aspects were all in the head of Sam, the narrator, or whether this was true urban fantasy. Sam is a wonderful character. His past relationship with an abusive Dom shades much of his daily life, from his fears about places he might meet his ex, Marcus, to his moments of panic. And his insistence that this is all minor and he is really fine, rings painfully true. I adored Sam.

Hector, the new Dom who takes him o...more
Natalie
This started out strong: a stern, growly Dom, some nice hurt/comfort, clever first-person narration by Sam. Unfortunately, for me it was all downhill from there. I tuned out for most of the god and goddess stuff. Hector turned emotionally abusive. And then the dreaded stalker subplot. All in all, this story just imploded in a cloud of crazy.
Vivian Archer
Wild freaky melange of movie director trivia, LA pop culture, religion and BDSM. I loved the messy swirling mass of concepts that left you off-balance and wondering what was up.
Elisa Ramblings
All right, I can't explain well what this book is like and what it has left to me. It's chaotic, energy, fantasy, fear, pain, pleasure... all mixed up in an huge melting pot.

Sam is a twenty-something years old guy who wants with all himself a Master in his life; he needs him, he craves him. He wants sex, yes, but not only, he wants to be dominate by someone, to be controlled. But he is just escaped from an abusive partner, that still manages to influence him and prevents him to find a real part...more
Plainbrownwrapper
Feb 27, 2013 Plainbrownwrapper added it
Shelves: mm
Dang. Can I give this book a "none of the above" rating? Please?

I have no idea what to think of this book overall. First, in the interest of full disclosure, the 24/7-Daddy/boy-domestic discipline type of relationship is SOOOO not my thing. It tends to make me cringe, sneer, roll my eyes, get nauseous, shudder in revulsion, and/or throw a book across the room, depending on the specific relationship portrayed. So I'm not the target audience for this book, in a big way.

That said -- and dangit, I'm...more
Anne
I found the book confusing. In the beginning, I wondered if Sam just lived in his own world and much of what he thought was not real. Judging by the ending and description of the sequel, I guess his beliefs were real. Hector did not seem like a good Dom to me; he was selfish and did not tell Sam clearly what was required of him. He did not communicate well with Sam and gave conflicting messages. The ending was a HFN ending to me because Hector is suppose to make changes for the relationship to w...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
What on earth is going on? I feel like I've been dropped in the middle of a series with absolutely no background. I had to double check several times to make sure there wasn't another book before this one. I was very confused for a long time, but I ended up enjoying this book.

I gave it a 4 because of the creativity. The world created by Mr. Lygon was pretty clever. I liked all the gods and goddesses. I also shed a couple of tears in a few of the scenes. I sad for Sam. He is so sweet and terribl...more
Alli
The story started very strong, like WOW, the writing & chemistry were amazing. When Sam & Hector's relationship took a wrong turn, it was an abrupt transition that wrapped up too easily...and frankly, some of the god stuff at the end didn't make total sense.

Still, I loved both characters & will continue with the series.
Chris
Very good kinky m/m urban fantasy series about a willful submissive who's also a powerful witch and who worships an unusual set of gods: the God of Traffic, The God of Negotiation, etc. As he tries to stay out of the way of his abusive ex, he meets a powerful and compelling dominant and his whole life changes.
MandyM
4.5 stars. Probably my favourite BDSM novel. Amazing, hot and heart-in-the-back-of-your-throat stuff.
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I rarely begin a review without knowing what I want to say, but this time I really don't know. It's a beautiful book, for me it was impossible to put it down once I started it.

First of all, the world building is awesome: Gods may be your friends, they live around you, you recognize them, you worship them and you pray for them and they are really living your life with you. They are a constant presence in Sam's life, helping him through the bad times and guiding him to what is good for him.

Then, t...more
Ayanna
..."sex god"...?
(^clarification, from cover)

I'm very pissed off because I was working on my review and then GR erased it. It was good, too, and I won't be able to reproduce it because I've already done my cathartic purge and now the feelings won't come back =_=
Below is a pathetic attempt to recreate some of the things I said before when I was purging...
It annoys me because it's rather bare-bones, but it's the best I can come up with.
(Actually, I think I got most of what I originally said. Things...more
Jenre
This paranormal story is about a young witch, Sam, who has just escaped from an abusive relationship with Marcus and is seeking to get back into the dating scene. He's a submissive and he thinks he's found his match in Dom, Hector. However, Hector's jealousy and the fact that Marcus keeps stalking Sam threatens not only their relationship but also Sam's fragile peace of mind.

What worked for me was the way that the story looked at abusive relationships within the BDSM community, and also provide...more
Kelly  Maybedog
A friend had this to say and it's the kind of thing that upsets me, too.

"So, just when we got to the point where I thought things were going to improve things jumped the shark instead. They stage a sort of intervention for Hector and his abuse, and Sam is poised to jump out the window. Hector seems ready to give Sam the time and space he needs to heal, and for Hector to learn to deal with his jealousy in healthy ways, and then all of a sudden Sam forgives him. I mean literally one minute he is b...more
Paisley
Hmmmmm, this book was quite something - very unusual but also very entertaining. I am the first to admit that I am easily entertained, but this one was unique. It took me a bit of getting used to the ideas that made this book different (not the sex - the characters) so original and a bit quirky too. But once I started going with the flow and not trying to analyze it too much I found myself rather amused and enjoyed the story. I will definitely be reading the next in the series.
Shannon
Fucking fantastic. Such an eloquence, huh? This book had me hooked literally from page one. Was I confused a bit of the time? You bet. Did I care? Not so much. The entire book was like living inside Sam's messed up head and what a fascinating ride. He's a total pain slut and proud of it which made for some really hot scenes. Made me smile, made me tear up, made my chest ache. Loved it!! Thanks to Jase for picking it for me. :D
  • Word on a Wing
  • Uneven
  • Mr. Benson: A Novel
  • A Russian Bear (Russian Bear, #1)
  • Bound and Determined
  • Gathering Storm
  • Dark Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #1)
  • Bondage (Deviations, #4)
  • Fun With Dick and Shane (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #1)
  • Thirty Days (From Thirty Days to Forever, #1)
  • Bent (Hammer, #1)
  • Carried Away
  • Puppy Love 3: Reawakening (Puppy Love #3)
  • Bound To Please
  • A Thread of Deepest Black
  • Bran's Story (The Slave Breakers, #1)
  • Bound: Forget Me Knot
Love Runes (Gods and Chaos, #2) Personal Demons (Gods and Chaos, #3) The Harem Boy Bonded (Bonded, #3) The Quality Of Mercy (Bonded, #1)

“I thought I made it clear that I was a sure thing, but he left without getting any."
Maybe Hector's holding out for a better deal, Sam."
That never occurred to me. "Negotiating?"
You negotiated with all your other dominants. You call it power exchange. Use your power."
I ducked my head. "I don't have any power."
Then what the hell are you exchanging?”
2 likes