Start by marking “The Lost Temple” as Want to Read:
The Lost Temple

The Lost Temple

3.66  ·  Rating Details ·  1,753 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
For three thousand years, the world's most dangerous treasure has been lost. Now the code that reveals its hiding place is about to be broken ...

Sam Grant is a disgraced ex-SOE soldier and an adventurer by trade. But he has a secret: six years ago, a dying archaeologist entrusted him with his life's work - transcripts of mysterious writing found in a hidden cave on Crete.
Published October 18th 2007 by Arrow (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Temple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Temple

Rob
Jan 08, 2009 Rob rated it did not like it
About 50-60 pages into the book, I stopped reading it. I selected it based on the summary on the dust jacket, thinking it would be something like The Da Vinci Code. It was, sort of, but it was so full of explosions and shootings, the puzzle and mystery became secondary to the plot.
At the beginning of the novel, 1941, I learn that Sam Grant is a British special forces sort of soldier who was bodyguarding the king of Greece. He meets an archeologist during the German invasion of Crete. The archeol
Svjetlana Tesla
Jun 12, 2016 Svjetlana Tesla rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
blijedi pokusaj da se kopira den braun, ni izbliza dramticno,dosadno,jedino je kraj donekle ok...
Melissa Cuevas
Cheese that would make the master cheesemakers in my area proud. The unashamed illegitimate love child of Dan Brown/WEB Griffin/Indiana Jones. It's got the cliche cast of: disgraced mercenary special forces type. Gorgeous dark voluptuous Greek resistance fighter that must be, of course, the male protagonist's EX lover. The usual over thinking academic type. The usual bad German 'archaeologist' described in porcine terminology. The usual Soviet baddies. The usual spy baddies. The end of the world ...more
Ariadne Elle
I loved the premise of this, Achilles armour and shield. That was what grabbed my attention in the first place. I was sad to say I never connected with the characters. For me to enjoy a book, I have to have that connection.

Grant, the main character was lackadaisical in my eyes, he never quite got the whole hero of the story down pat. Reed, the archaeologist...there were parts I wanted to shoot him, myself. The rest of the characters where so bland if I chose to mention them here, I would have to
Brian
Oct 27, 2010 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel takes place in post-war Europe in 1947. A number of years ago Sam Grant is given a leather notebook by a dying archaeologist. When the KGB starts looking for this notebook, Grant decides to go on his own expedition to find the shield made for Achilles. He is helped by an Oxford professor, Arthur Reed, and a beautiful Greek archaeologist, Marina.

This was a fun adventure novel with the Russians on their tail, they travel all around Europe following clues that will take them to the templ
Tim
May 31, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it

I was rather wary of reading this after seeing the reviews on here, but I am glad I stuck it out and got into it. It is rather slow in the beginning even though it jumps into a lot of action from the beginning. You never develop an attachment to the characters, but it does not detract from the story. Rather, you watch the events from a detached perspective. I will say that most of the twists and turns were not very surprising, but what sold this book to me is the Homeric connection and quest fo
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 Ruth rated it it was ok
"The palace of Knossos was no longer the labyrinth it had been in legend, but there were still ways to lose yourself in it, and Pemberton knew the layout better than any man alive." Sadly, a pedestrian read but with enough gems of brilliance to keep me reading. Born in 1977, Harper studied History at Oxford and published this book in 2007. Harper commented on this book as follows "1.6.07 - The Bookseller claims that the novel is 'an unashamed Da Vinci Code rip-off'. That's mostly untrue - it's a ...more
Andronicus Kok
Aug 16, 2012 Andronicus Kok rated it it was amazing
Finished reading Tom Harper's - The Lost Temple. An ex special ops soldier is entrusted with a leather notebook filled with an archaeologist life work which contains a deadly secret. He sets out to find why he has died protecting it and what's it worth behind the secret even though its in ancient Greek and mysterious symbols. A so so read disappointed with the story flow. Sigh :(
Geoffrey
Jul 03, 2015 Geoffrey rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in Homeric myths and archaeological mysteries
Shelves: thrillers
#Review of Lost Temple: #Thriller #readers, in Tom Harper's novel, Lost Temple, the main story takes place in 1947 with the primary objective of recovering Achilles's shield. The shield is supposedly made of a rare metal, Element 61, Prometheum, which the Brits, the Yanks, and the Russians all want. The main objective of the author appears to be to share insights into archaelogical facts and mysteries. The former being the translation of Linear B from an ancient tablet, which occurred in 1952. T ...more
James F.
Feb 19, 2016 James F. rated it liked it
This recent publication was my first read of a book written by Tom Harper. I was impressed by the attention to detail regarding the most recent understanding of the events of pre-Classical Greece by historical authorities in this field of study. However, for the general reader, this very attention to detail might well be a deal-breaker. The explanations of the history of archaeology regarding pre-Classical Greece and how these explanatory details are interwoven into what really is a Cold War spy ...more
Hildegart
Apr 29, 2012 Hildegart rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book tremendously and hoped that the author would come out with another book I really liked, but he hasn't. I found this book intriguing.
Carmela Biscuit
Mar 16, 2015 Carmela Biscuit rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Indiana Jones meets Dan Brown - this is what I though of the book while reading it. It contains some informative sections on Minoan civilization and cleverly intertwines myth, history and conspiracy theories a la The Da Vinci Code. Unfortunately, though the story is interesting, the writing is very mediocre - formulaic and full of cliches and a story without good writing to support it is like an expensive exotic fish ruined through amateur bad cooking - leaves bad taste in your mouth.
Theresa
Jul 22, 2013 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
So this book is a slow start, so slow in fact I was thinking of putting it in the giveaway pile once I finished it. The author doesn't bother describing the main character and you don't find out he's British till about 100 pages into it. Perhaps the author being British assumes we would guess the hero would have to be British.

But still in my mind I cast the characters as certain people and I was becoming more and more attached to Sam and Marina. I was hoping eventually they would kiss or admit f
Paulo
Jan 09, 2016 Paulo rated it liked it
Shelves: just-adventure
Em que pese as centenas de páginas do livro, as citações de autores da antiguidade, a busca pelo "elemento 61", o período pós segunda guerra, com espiões, o clima na era de Trumman, as reviravoltas da trama, a dúvida sobre quem é o traidor, ....

Tudo se perde com o autor apresentando soluções um tanto quanto simplistas nos momentos mais críticos da trama.
Peggy Huey
Jul 20, 2015 Peggy Huey rated it really liked it
Just after World War II, a group of people are drawn together by circumstances to search for the temple where Greek hero Achilles is buried. Their search leads them to discover several other sites that confirm various aspects of Homer's stories about Odysseus and the Trojan War that put intriguing spins on the ancient tales for fans of those stories.
Gooddeeds
Feb 02, 2015 Gooddeeds rated it liked it
"You can't spend a lifetime just basking in the magnificent glow you get from Homer."

can't resista quote like that!

This is a good book much less 'techy' than Atlantis so an easier read! Plenty of clues and mystery to keep the pages turning.

Emlen
Mar 28, 2012 Emlen rated it liked it
It ain't Shakespeare, but if you happen to be a Classics nerd, I definitely recommend this: post-World War II hunt for a lost substance that the Minoans found on a meteor, which is the basis of Homer's story of Achilles' shield. My favorite scene (somewhat spoiler-ish, so I'll hide it), which, if you're a Classicist, should help you understand what the attraction of this book is:

(view spoiler)
Vasso Chatzimanoli
Κλασικός Τομ Χάρπερ!Δεν σε απογοητεύει!Ενώνει αρμονικά το παρελθόν με το παρόν και το φανταστικό με το πραγματικό...τόσο αρμονικά που δεν αναγνωρίζεις ποια τα μεταξύ τους όρια!Γρήγορη πλοκή, ανατροπές και κρυμμένη γνώση!
John Parker
The Lost Temple is an energetic romp around the Mediterranean for historical adventurers. If the island of Crete, Minoans, Greek gods, Linear B, Nazis, Turks and Soviet operatives are your thing, then you will enjoy the book. If not, then you will find it to be worth the three stars that I gave it.

For me, I lived on Crete, visited Knossos, and know of the Nazi airborne invasion and a lot of the archaeological references. I enjoyed the book, but I am not sure that I am overly excited about it. A
Actium Scarpool
May 01, 2016 Actium Scarpool rated it it was amazing
Amazing. The history, the quotes, the adventure. Harper places you in the setting of his novel. He places you with the characters- each with their own distinct traits and personalities.
Jim
Mar 17, 2015 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, fiction
Uneven pacing and an ending that seemed rushed detract a bit from what is otherwise a solid thriller with an interesting historical perspective. In this one, which is mostly set in 1947, the good guys are on the hunt for the shield of Achilles. Yes, that Achilles. Seems there was more truth to the Iliad than many would have believed. In any case, it seems that one of the shield's components has some less savory uses in 1947, and both the Soviets and Americans are after it. All in all, a fun outi ...more
Treena Sengupta
Aug 10, 2015 Treena Sengupta rated it it was ok
The book is over verbose, which killed the thrill of a historical roller coaster thriller! I would still give the next one "book of secrets" a patient listening, just for one thing, harper picks up a really interesting topic of Greek mythology!
Susan Smith
Feb 16, 2016 Susan Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Good story but too much use of the F word
Judy
An interesting story about the myths of Greece - action packed and fairly fast paced. Books like this make me wonder just how much we never hear about regarding ancient artifacts being found...
Tory Wagner
Jan 02, 2014 Tory Wagner rated it liked it
Shelves: aventure
This was a fun archeology based story that took place in various areas around Greece. This takes place after WW II and involves British, American, Greek, and Soviet spies/military agents. The premise of the story is that various countries are searching for the shield of Achilles because it is thought to be made from a legendary medal that can be used to create a military weapon. There are lots of quotes from Homer that the archeologists use to try and determine where Achilles final resting place ...more
Jenny Delandro
May 17, 2010 Jenny Delandro rated it liked it
Janis
Aug 31, 2009 Janis rated it it was ok
My review of this book isn't really fair. I found Goodreads right in the middle of it and I was far more interested in filling my "shelves" than reading the book. That it didn't hold my attention over this application says something. Gave it 2 stars, it was just OK.

I liked the concept - The hunt for an ancient artifact that we believe is only myth...

Biggest criticism - disjointed, awkward dialog sections where who was talking wasn't exactly clear.
Fredrick Danysh
Jul 19, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
During World War II the Germans attack an English archaeologist in Crete in an attempt to secure tablets indicating the presence of a mythical Greek shield. After the war, ex-OSS agent Sam Grant is sprung from prison to aid the joint English-American search for the shield. The Russians are trying to retrieve it themselves. Both groups chase all over the Mediterrain in the search. Plenty of action and violence mixed in with some classical poetry.
Anna Stathopoulou
Διάβασα το οπισθόφυλλο και μπήκα σε πειρασμό γιατί τρελλαίνομαι για αρχαία μυστήρια πόσο μάλλον όταν σχετίζονται με τη χώρα μου. Προς το παρόν, έχω φτάσει στη μέση και νοιώθω ότι διαβάζω ένα μπερδεμένο κουβάρι από μύθους, θρύλους όλων των θρησκειών που έχουν συγκολληθεί για να κυλήσει το στόρυ. Ημαρτον!
Αυτά λέω τώρα, ελπίζω μέχρι το τέλος να έχω καλύτερη γνώμη και να αποζημιωθώ για το χρόνο που αφιέρωσα σ'αυτό το βιβλίο. Θα επανέλθω...
Vorbis
Feb 15, 2013 Vorbis rated it liked it
Audiobook. Finally finished. If I wasn't listening with someone I think I'd have given up. It's interesting enough, but the author has certain style traits that get frustrating. Particularly his habit of killing off anyone he doesn't know what to do with. Everyone dies in this book - as soon as they've wrapped up helping the plot, they die.

Unsatisfying ending, I don't believe the scholar would have behaved that way. But anyway, finished.
  • Pyramid
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • The Sacred Blood
  • Bible of the Dead
  • On the Fifth Day (Thomas Knight, #1)
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
  • The Hidden Oasis
  • The Tenth Chamber
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • The Atlantis Code (Thomas Lourds, #1)
  • The Pegasus Secret (Lang Reilly #1)
  • The Sword Of The Templars (Templar, #1)
  • The Dead Sea Deception (Leo Tillman & Heather Kennedy, #1)
  • The Tiger Warrior (Jack Howard, #4)
Tom Harper was born in West Germany in 1977 and grew up in Germany, Belgium and America; he now lives in England. He is chair of the Crime Writers' Association and also a member of the Historical Novels Society and the Society of Authors.

Tom Harper also writes historical adventures as Edwin Thomas.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thre
More about Tom Harper...