Start by marking “Favorite Medieval Tales” as Want to Read:
Favorite Medieval Tales

Favorite Medieval Tales

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  17 reviews
1 Finn Maccoul - Boy eats magic salmon for Irish poetry, weds girl evil Druid transformed to doe.
2 Beowulf - He slays Grendel for besieged King Hothgar of Denmark but monster mother leaves marsh for revenge.
3 Sword in the Stone - Boy Merlin tells evil king, red dragon slain is his future, hides son Arthur for Uther.
4 Island of the Lost Children - Griffin flies Dutch Prin
Published May 1st 2002 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Favorite Medieval Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Favorite Medieval Tales

Marissa Garcia
This is a marvelous collection of nine Medieval tales from Ireland, Britain, Germany, Scandinavia, and France. This collection is particularly fascinating due to the in depth research and source details the author includes. The introduction itself is richer than many average collections of tales include. Osbourne goes into the earliest history known about this area of the world, the evolution of its written word and religions, and quite a lot about the evolution of English as a language. She exp ...more
Evan
A collection of nine classic mythological tales, mostly from the British Isles, 'Favorite Medieval Tales' is a great read for late elementary-aged students and children interested in folkore. It is also a good example of the ways in which languages change, as each tale begins with an excerpt in the original language (Old Irish, Old English, Latin, Middle High German, Old French, and Middle English to be specific) translated to Modern English. The decorations and illustrations by Troy Howell are ...more
An Odd1
All are optimistic, except Roland ends in tears. Illustrations suit stained glass monk manuscript origins. Language is simple. Beowulf movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaShOr... is tragic version, where "sins of the fathers" Christianity and demons overtake pagan king.
This sneaky Sir Kay is more believable than T.H. White's in Sword in the Stonehttps://www.goodreads.com/review/show.... There Sir Ector directs son to replace weapon. Only Art can pull out. Here Kay apologizes after being foun
Conner Rose
Favorite Medieval Tales is by Mary Pope Osborne and Troy Howell. This book tells some of some of the most liked stories from long ago. It has stories like Robin Hood, The Werewolf, and Beowulf. The stories are very detailed and interesting. I would recommend this book to someone who likes tales.
Josette
Wow! What a treasure! We are studying the Middle Ages right now and this book has a number of legends from this time period, re-told for children. Each tale begins w/ an excerpt from the story in the language it was originally written (Ie., Old French, Old/Middle English, Latin, etc.), along side the same excerpt in modern English. AT the end of the book, there are notes about the story (when it was probably written, by whom, etc.), some info. about the development of the English language, info. ...more
Melody Savage
If you are faced with having to read Beowulf or the ancient poem Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, beef up your background knowledge with this collection of stories which simplify the old writings, giving an overview of the works. Of course, this is meant to provide young people with background knowledge of the middle ages, but it could also be a preparatory reading to ready older students for the more complex texts. Simple to read true to the originals, the stories are suitable for many grades. ...more
Bethany Anne
Wasn't a fan of the illustrations but this isn't really about the pictures as it is about the tales and all of the great information at the back of the book. Can't wait until my daughter is old enough to read it.
Jean-Marie
We kicked off our Middle Ages history studies this year with this collection of favorite medieval tales. There are so many great stories to complement this time period. We're looking forward to it.
Danet
I read this book initially thinking I'd use it as my chapter book, but I wasn't sure if it completely qualified as a folktale or not. I picked it because of how much I love the medieval folklore--everything from King Arthur and Merlin to the tales of the Black Plague and everything inbetween, made up and real. The book was a bit of a dissappointment. Most of the tales I am familiar with and quite honestly, the writing is rather dry. I could see utilizing this book as a reference for kids interes ...more
Luke Ewell
I like the stories about King Arthur and Robin Hood. I also liked the pictures, it was good.
Elizabethe
Good introduction for younger children to classic medieval tales. Think of it more as an appetizer for these tales, they are the perfect length and complexity for a read aloud. My 6 year old loves these stories and the pictures.

Good to read along with a first pass through medieval on a classical curriculum. For the older elementary years move in to something more advanced and detailed.
Leanna
Robin Hood and His Merry Men, King Arthur (The Sword in Stone), Beowulf and Grendel, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, The Song of Roland, Finn MacCoul and more. I must say this one of my favorite compiling of Medieval Tales. The Illustrations are simply beautiful, yet match the feel of the medieval tales very well.
Melissa
Book #64 read in 2006

I enjoyed this book. I liked the simplfied versions of some of the great classics in literature. I can see reading this to my students and having them understand and enjoy this as well.
Amy
We are reading some more in depth versions of these stories, so not sure if we will visit this book or not. It is nicely illustrated.
Esther May
This book has some of everything. We enjoyed a small introduction to the medieval world in this book.
Leanne
Love the stories, but not especially impressed with the story telling. I hoped for more flair.
Patricia
Nov 01, 2013 Patricia marked it as to-read
Island of list children. The song of Roland
Samantha Matzen
Samantha Matzen marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Paula
Paula added it
Dec 20, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Edelind
Edelind marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
More about Mary Pope Osborne...
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)