Start by marking “Penguins and Antarctica (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #18)” as Want to Read:
Penguins and Antarctica (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #18)

Penguins and Antarctica (Magic Tree House Fact Tracker #18)

Magic Tree House Research Guides are now Magic Tree House Fact Trackers! Track the facts with Jack and Annie!

When Jack and Annie got back from their adventure in Magic Tree House #40: Eve of the Emperor Penguin, they had lots of questions. What do penguins eat? Why do they huddle together in groups? Who won the race to the South Pole? What happens at a research station
Published September 23rd 2008 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Penguins and Antarctica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penguins and Antarctica

Shannon
Jan 16, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing
12/09: This is an excellent little research book. This is the first little book I've seen that looks at the efforts of both Amudsen and Scott and gives possible reasons why Amudsen succeeded and Scott did not: Amudsen used dogs for travel, fur for warmth and fresh seal meat (high in vitamin C) for food. Scott tried powered sleds that gave out, wool and cotton clothing that stayed wet and potted meat with no vitamin C, therefore getting scurvy, etc.

Amazon Book Description:
When Jack and Annie got
Chrystal Phillips
Jun 16, 2016 Chrystal Phillips rated it it was amazing
I found out that I really didn't know much about Antarctica going in and many of the facts blew my mind. How Antarctica got it's name and that it is actually the driest place on the Earth! (Let's face it, I figured ice=moisture). In Antartica, “calving” is NOT what you would think, but I think it is a sight I would LOVE to see! (Note: that is the first instance of calving you encounter in this book that I am referring to :D ).
I have always thought penguins to be simply amazing critters, I could
Caleb
Jun 05, 2014 Caleb rated it it was amazing
I liked Penguins and Antarctica. It was really really interesting. The biggest iceberg is as big as New Jersey. No dogs can go on Antarctica and no country owns it because they signed a treaty. Penguins walk with eggs on their toes. Then the female goes to the sea to feed and when it comes back the male goes to feed in the sea until it hatches. It told all about Antarctica. The planes that go there land on skis instead of wheels and on snow instead of the runway. And sometimes they go away from ...more
Erin Walker
Jun 22, 2012 Erin Walker rated it really liked it
Shelves: edsl-520
Penguins and Antarctica by: Mary Pope osborne & Natalie Pope Boyce (2008)-Informational

This book is the nonfiction companion to Mary Pope Osborne's fictional Eve of the Emperor Penguin part of the Magic Treehouse series. It discusses the south pole, Antarctica, penguins, other arctic animals, explorers and much more.

Themes: Exploration, Species, Geographic Formations

Teaching Options: This book would be a great resource to teach science to children either as a whole group or a resource in res
Christina Gagliano
Apr 07, 2012 Christina Gagliano rated it it was amazing
I love the Magic Tree House research guides, which are the perfect level for my first and third graders. Problem is, my third grader only wants to do research online--and she now thinks she's too cool for "Jack and Annie,"-- so I am going to have to start investing in the e-book versions. Hopefully she'll accept Jack and Annie back into her life if she can access these educational and entertaining books in her preferred format. Is this really the kid who couldn't get enough of Blizzard of the Bl ...more
Dolly
Jan 29, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We read this book alongside Eve of the Emperor Penguin, so we got some scientific background on the area as we read the story. Our girls love penguins and our oldest was studying them in school at the same time, so it was a very interesting topic for us. We enjoy these Research Guides and read as many as we can.
L-Angelica Herrera-Vest
Penguins and Antarctica is a great supplement to Eve of the Emperor Penguin, written by Mary Pope Osborne. The book is filled with fun facts, photos, illustrations, and definitions related to penguins. The book is written in a way that would interest children because of the manner the information is presented. The interesting manner the different elements are presented makes it fun for children. This is a great book to put in your science bin or in your science area.
Tracey
Jul 16, 2010 Tracey rated it really liked it
-penguins, Antarctica
-http://www.teach-nology.com/teachers/...
-ecosystems, food chain
-map Antarctica
-research the first journey/explorers to Antarctica
-research current science experiments
-http://www.edna.edu.au/edna/go/school...
-provide or have students find pictures, create a mini-movie of Antarctica using PhotoStory or equivalent
Marya
Sep 19, 2016 Marya rated it liked it
Shelves: children-series
What a great over view of Emperor Penguins and Antarctica! Penguins are funny looking birds anyway, and this fact guide keeps that light, airy, and comical tone.

Until it gets to the famous failed Antarctic trips. You'll find Scott AND Shakleton's journey listed here, as well as a pullout page on Mount Erebus throwing lava bombs. WTF? Are you TRYING to give my little ones nightmares?
Gray
Jul 21, 2011 Gray rated it it was amazing
This teaches you about penguins and Antarctica. I saw something funny on one of the pages, Jack and Annie were in a picture and Annie ran over to some penguins and she wanted to hug them but Jack said "Stop Annie, Don't touch!"
Heather Jo
Jan 26, 2016 Heather Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Sydney
Dec 02, 2013 Sydney rated it really liked it
for thousands of years Antarctica was a land of mystery.
Anna
Jun 01, 2015 Anna marked it as to-read
Tried to read this when the kid was 5 1/2 but it was too dry to hold his attention long enough to finish before the book was due back at the library. Will try again when he's a little older.
R
Dec 19, 2010 R rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED the series when I was a kid, and I still do! I would recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy / adventure books!! :)
Deborah Harris
Jan 01, 2014 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-4, a34
AR Quiz No. 125560 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 4.6 - AR Pts: 1.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Shawn
Shawn rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Madison
Madison rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2014
Sarah E
Sarah E rated it really liked it
May 18, 2012
Jake Vega
Jake Vega rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Shawna
Shawna rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2010
Bailey Shawver
Bailey Shawver rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Bailey
Bailey rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2014
Courtney
Courtney rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2009
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Jaden Ruesch
Jaden Ruesch rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2009
Smbyrne
Smbyrne rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2014
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2013
  • Twisters and Other Terrible Storms (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #8)
  • Apple Orchard Race (Ready, Freddy!, #20)
  • Seas of Blood (Fighting Fantasy, #16)
  • Temple of Terror (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #19)
  • Buddy (The Puppy Place, #5)
  • American Tall Tales
  • Fancy Nancy: Tea for Two
  • The Self-Healing Cookbook:  Whole Foods To Balance Body, Mind and Moods
  • Horrible Harry and the Dragon War
  • The Power of Focusing: A Practical Guide to Emotional Self-Healing
  • Appointment with F.E.A.R. (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #18)
  • Moving Toward Balance: 8 Weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee
  • The Quest for the Tree Kangaroo: An Expedition to the Cloud Forest of New Guinea (Scientists in the Field Series)
  • Truth vs. Falsehood: How to Tell the Difference
  • Mama, Is It Summer Yet?
  • Who Was Ben Franklin?
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House Fact Tracker (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • Dinosaurs (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #1)
  • Knights and Castles (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #2)
  • Mummies and Pyramids (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #3)
  • Pirates (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #4)
  • Rain Forests (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #5)
  • Space (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #6)
  • Titanic (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #7)
  • Twisters and Other Terrible Storms (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #8)
  • Dolphins And Sharks (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #9)
  • Ancient Greece and the Olympics (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #10)