Family Blessings (Cisco, #2)

Family Blessings (Cisco #2)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  669 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Right before Thanksgiving, a freak tornado descends on Larkspur, the small town in Pennsylvania's Allegheny Mountains where matriarch and candy magnate Loretta Cisco -- affectionately called "Cisco" by her grandchildren -- lives, and levels the home she's inhabited for fifty years. Then there's more bad news: Cisco's beloved triplet grandchildren, Hannah, Sara, and Sam, al...more
Published October 19th 2004 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Family Blessings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family Blessings

Dawn
May 12, 2011 Dawn rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dawn by: Read it because I enjoyed her first books about the Cisco Family
This was the second book from Fern Michaels about the Cisco family. No Place Like Home was a much better story. This one did not have much of a plot. It was not enjoyable when most of the book was the family fighting with each other.
Maria
Book Title: Family Blessings
Author: Fern Michaels
Genre: General Fiction, Humor(??)
Rating: 1 Star
Format: Book on CD

This is probably the most ridiculously stupid book I've read in a long time. I suspect that it's supposed to be humorous, but it falls flat. The only reason I think that it's supposed to be funny is that the plot is out of a sitcom, where nobody communicates and resorts to fisticuffs when faced with a conflict instead of working it out like grown-ups. Also, the book description says...more
Helen Johnson
I first picked this book up in the airport a couple of years ago. I bought it because I had read Kentucky Rich by the same author and I had enjoyed that book. Also, she is a best-selling author. Anyway, I finished this book on the return trip from Europe - it was such an easy read, not much content or depth. I kept waiting for a good plot to develop. I would not recommend wasting your time on this one.
James (DayOldNews)
Awful, boring, predictable, don't bother.
Mmmickiii
boring-very predictable
Sandie
Truly enjoyed this book.. Began reading it on Tuesday (6/17) and finished it today. The Trips (Cisco's name for all three) Sara, Hannah, and Sam are married and beginning a new life, but troubles (at least in their minds) arise for them and the convoluted way the figure this out and grow up keeps you on your toes..
Alice
Very good read. I love Fern Michaels' books. Uplifting. This one is about the story of triplets and their spouses, and following your dreams.
Lucy Bilik
I enjoyed the first part of the book at story development, however somewhere in the middle it became somewhat too unreal. The women were portrayed too bull-headed and men were lacking common sense and reasonable judgement. Just how fast they came to resolve all their differences (almost if the blink of an eye - in span of one conversation) just does not make it real at all. I have enjoyed most of Fern's books but this one happy ending felt just uncharacteristic of her writing. It felt as if she...more
Nicole
The characters in this book, excluding Ezra and Cisco, have the emotional maturity of seventh graders and that may be an insult to seventh graders. I felt the author created all this unnecessary drama that could've easily been resolved if the spouses bothered to talk to each other all so it could be resolved in some sappy contrived way on Christmas. I mostly wanted to shake all of them. And I am sad the author thought so little of her characters that they would behave this way.
Cheryl
Ugh. I simply could NOT make it past the first CD disc of this audiobook. At first, I thought, ok, these characters are sort of appealing - - but by the middle of the first CD, I was thinking "wow, this writing is really pretty awful". Unfortunately, my opinion did not change and I gave up.

I'm sure Ms. Michael's writing was suffering in comparison - - -I had just finished listening to an outstanding reading of "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern - - but I simply cannot recommend this book.
Oceana2602
Public Service Announcement:

I didn't buy "Family Blessings" on purpose. It came with Annie Proulx's "Postcards" which I bought on ebay.

I certainly didn't read it, though - for lack of better shelving options (like "threw away", "once owned but couldn't get rid of it fast enough", "am still bleaching my brain")- I had to file it on the "read" shelf.

Just wanted to make sure you knew.

Thank you.

End of Public Service Announcement.

Ruth
It is so refreshing to read a novel that does NOT contain murder, sex and human degradation.

The story is set in the Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania days before the Thanksgiving Season.

A tornado descends on their peaceful lives and destroys not only houses but the surface peace of the family.

Family Blessings is a heartwarming holiday book that you won't want to miss.
Aleisa
I really wanted to get into a book I would love. This will not be it. Very poorly written, it feels like really bad actors reading a really bad script. Half way through the book and I CAN NOT make myself finish it. It was bordering on painful and I felt I didn't care at all for the characters. How can you care for people who aren't real, after all?
Maggie
Where to being about this book....I really didn't like it at all. I would just give it 1 star but since I read the whole thing I'll give it 2. Everything I liked about Cisco #1 fell apart in Cisco #2 and all for stupid reasons. I didn't like #1 that much and I should have saved my time and skipped #2.
Deann Doolittle
Had this on my list to read for a long time finally found it at a book sale. It was a Thanksgiving story so I waited until Nov. to read it. It was just alright. Not really anything to write home about. I do have the Christmas one of this series so hopefully that will be better.
Lauren
I really enjoyed this book. I felt like she really showed the characters growth by the end of the book and there was a good resolution of all the chaos. Probably not a good idea to read it if you're having relationship problems with your significant other though. Might be too real.
Becky
First book I've read by the author. By other reviews of her other books, I started with one of the worst! :( The story was a good plot, but got lost inside the characters. I didn't feel the love between any of them. Very hard for me to even finish, thankfully a short read!
Andrea
I was looking for a heartwarming holiday story and this was not it. The first half of the book I was just annoyed with the characters. Then the ending wrapped up too quickly. I read it in about 3 hours otherwise I would have been more annoyed that I wasted my life on this.
Amy Grooters
First Fern Michaels book I read. The family bickering and hurt feelings over assumptions is quite frustrating to me. However, it was a quick read, so for that I gave it 2 stars. If I can find good reviews on other books of her's I may give this author another chance.
J. Ewbank
This book is a little different from many of the others I have read by this author. It is more about Christmas and family living than the others, but it is a good read and is enjoyable.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Rayni
Feb 11, 2011 Rayni rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rayni by: my mom
I was disappointed in this book. I was quite disgusted with it actually. I had high hopes for it because the first book was so good. Still I gave it 3 stars. I kept reading, hoping it would get better; waiting to see what was going to happen.
Emma Darragh
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would - at times the characters were unbelievable and I found Sam to be a little annoying. However, I kept reading and was rewarded by a happy, teary-eyed ending that made it worth the read.
Nancy
This book really drew me to the characters as they are very likable. I like the story it was very nice and simple. This book is really not a remarkable one, I can't really say is a boring one but nothing to be excited about!!
Tiffany
I like the line of her books but they read very much the same all the time- the way she writes makes me think she is writing for a 3rd grader. Enjoyable story but annoying if I read too many of her's in a row.
Jess (Shepherdjel)
I do love these family related books that Michaels writes! They get me all warm and fuzzy inside! A great family relationship and story gets me every time. I really enjoyed both books in this series!
Anna
I was disappointed in this book. I couldn't like the characters as they came off as a group of adult spoiled brats. The only somewhat likeable character was the local parish priest.
Carol
I enjoyed FAMILY BLESSINGS by Fern Michaels. This is the 2nd book she has written about the Cisco family. The story takes place just before Thanksgiving. The plot is inspirational.
Debbie
I enjoyed this book, not quite as much as the first in this series, but it is a good story. Fern Michaels never disappoints.
Teresa
This book did not have much of a plot. It was kind-of boring. The characters argue way too much and the story is repetitve. Just was not that good, an easy read, but not that good
Joanne
Usually love Fern Michaels books but this was not one of her better ones. It's basically about the lives of three adult triplets who's marriages are falling apart.
  • Stranger in Savannah (Savannah Quartet, #4)
  • Crazy in Love
  • A Christmas To Remember (Cape Light #7)
  • Someday Soon (Deliverance Company, #1)
  • The Sight of the Stars
  • Tangled Vines
  • The Christmas Promise (Christmas Hope, #4)
  • Feels Like Family (The Sweet Magnolias #3)
  • Twilight Whispers
  • Sisterchicks Go Brit! (Sisterchicks, #7)
  • The Jeweled Spur: 1883 (The House of Winslow)
  • A Ruling Passion
  • Suspicious: Partners / The Art of Deception / Night Moves
  • First Impressions
Fern Michaels isn’t a person. I’m not sure she’s an entity either since an entity is something with separate existence. Fern Michaels® is what I DO. Me, Mary Ruth Kuczkir. Growing up in Hastings, Pennsylvania, I was called Ruth. I became Mary when I entered the business world where first names were the order of the day. To this day, family and friends call me Dink, a name my father gave me when I...more
More about Fern Michaels...
Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood, #1) Payback (Sisterhood, #2) Vendetta (Sisterhood, #3) The Jury (Sisterhood, #4) Sweet Revenge (Sisterhood #5)