Start by marking “Family Blessings (Cisco, #2)” as Want to Read:
Family Blessings (Cisco, #2)

Family Blessings (Cisco #2)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  832 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Right before Thanksgiving, a freak tornado descends on Larkspur, the small town in Pennsylvania's Allegheny Mountains where matriarch and candy magnate Loretta Cisco -- affectionately called "Cisco" by her grandchildren -- lives, and levels the home she's inhabited for fifty years. Then there's more bad news: Cisco's beloved triplet grandchildren, Hannah, Sara, and Sam, al ...more
Published October 19th 2004 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Family Blessings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family Blessings

Carly Ellen Kramer
Pros: The wide cast of quirky characters was entertaining. The side story with the doctors was engaging, as well.
Cons: The pacing of this book is off. From one sentence to the next, the story might move forward a moment, several hours, or several weeks. It was difficult to follow at times. Significant parts of the story which likely would have been emotional and full of interesting dialogue were skipped right over, mentioned only in hindsight. Also, the fighting - literal fighting - between the
Dawn
May 12, 2011 Dawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dawn by: Read it because I enjoyed her first books about the Cisco Family
This was the second book from Fern Michaels about the Cisco family. No Place Like Home was a much better story. This one did not have much of a plot. It was not enjoyable when most of the book was the family fighting with each other.
Maria
Apr 08, 2014 Maria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Book Title: Family Blessings
Author: Fern Michaels
Genre: General Fiction, Humor(??)
Rating: 1 Star
Format: Book on CD

This is probably the most ridiculously stupid book I've read in a long time. I suspect that it's supposed to be humorous, but it falls flat. The only reason I think that it's supposed to be funny is that the plot is out of a sitcom, where nobody communicates and resorts to fisticuffs when faced with a conflict instead of working it out like grown-ups. Also, the book description says
Helen Johnson
Sep 11, 2007 Helen Johnson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I first picked this book up in the airport a couple of years ago. I bought it because I had read Kentucky Rich by the same author and I had enjoyed that book. Also, she is a best-selling author. Anyway, I finished this book on the return trip from Europe - it was such an easy read, not much content or depth. I kept waiting for a good plot to develop. I would not recommend wasting your time on this one.
Heather Devine
Jan 09, 2016 Heather Devine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually take the time to review books but I felt a need here. This book was terrible. I usually hate putting a book away unfinished but I just couldn't handle it anymore. the dialogue is repetitive, childish and insanely unrealistic. The characters are whiny, and they resort to fist fights on a regular basis. They run from every confrontation like children. The pace of the book makes no sense at times. I honestly couldn't handle it any more. I've got to say though, I'm glad I tried it. N ...more
Kshydog
Nov 29, 2014 Kshydog rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
James (DayOldNews)
Awful, boring, predictable, don't bother.
Mmmickiii
boring-very predictable
Mahoghani 23
Mar 01, 2016 Mahoghani 23 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-z-2016
The story was about family, of course. Sam, Hannah and Sara, triplets, lost their mother at an early age. They grew up with their father, grandmother and each other.

Fast forward and now they're adults, married but having issues with their significant others. Sam's wife left him. Hannah and Sara thinks Zack and Joel are having affairs. Nothing is going right. Then Sam brings it to his sister's attention that besides each other they have no best friends or friends that they can call or hangout wit
Shawnee Bowlin
Jan 24, 2015 Shawnee Bowlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fern Michaels did a great job of helping the reader feel the frustration caused by the triplets marital miscommunication. I felt so irritated and just wanted to shake sense into them as well as feeling bad for Cisco that they shut her out of their troubles. Great writing makes the reader want to get involved or feel the vibes from the story! Family Blessings was that kind of reading.
Marlene Chabot
I've read so many other books by this author and was disappointed in the writing. I just didn't feel the emotions were real between the characters. It came off kind of canned for me. The banter between Ezra and Cisco seemed the most realistic--her home being destroyed by a tornado and then moving into a new home with none of the old memories.
Diana Murphy
May 14, 2015 Diana Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awwwww what a great story. Triplets and their relationship with spouses and each other and how their lives unfold. How a tragedy in town brings out the best in people. Fast-moving story, circumstances aren't always how they seem. It's always better to tell the truth than keep a secret until you figure out how to unveil. Quick, fun read! Just makes you smile.
Sandie
Jun 21, 2014 Sandie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly enjoyed this book.. Began reading it on Tuesday (6/17) and finished it today. The Trips (Cisco's name for all three) Sara, Hannah, and Sam are married and beginning a new life, but troubles (at least in their minds) arise for them and the convoluted way the figure this out and grow up keeps you on your toes..
Megan Alton
I think this book was supposed to be funny but I didn't find adults acting worse than my three year old humorous. Secrets and fighting and miscommunication went on through the whole book. Every time I thought the characters were going to work things out they instead fought more even fist-fighting with people they shouldn't have even been mad at. Ridiculous.
Denielle
Jan 01, 2015 Denielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: default
I'm a huge Fern Michaels fan and had read the first Cisco book so when I saw this one at the store, I had to get it. Unfortunately, it wasn't as good as I've come to expect from this author.
Owlcourt
Jan 07, 2016 Owlcourt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the book was trite, far too long, unbelievable and unimaginative. It really is one of the most uninspiring not-so-very-well-written books I have ever read.
Alice
Mar 18, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read. I love Fern Michaels' books. Uplifting. This one is about the story of triplets and their spouses, and following your dreams.
Lucy Bilik
I enjoyed the first part of the book at story development, however somewhere in the middle it became somewhat too unreal. The women were portrayed too bull-headed and men were lacking common sense and reasonable judgement. Just how fast they came to resolve all their differences (almost if the blink of an eye - in span of one conversation) just does not make it real at all. I have enjoyed most of Fern's books but this one happy ending felt just uncharacteristic of her writing. It felt as if she ...more
Nicole
Jan 05, 2014 Nicole rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The characters in this book, excluding Ezra and Cisco, have the emotional maturity of seventh graders and that may be an insult to seventh graders. I felt the author created all this unnecessary drama that could've easily been resolved if the spouses bothered to talk to each other all so it could be resolved in some sappy contrived way on Christmas. I mostly wanted to shake all of them. And I am sad the author thought so little of her characters that they would behave this way.
Kathleen
Apr 22, 2016 Kathleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2005
Silly, but kind of fun!
Cheryl
Dec 04, 2012 Cheryl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. I simply could NOT make it past the first CD disc of this audiobook. At first, I thought, ok, these characters are sort of appealing - - but by the middle of the first CD, I was thinking "wow, this writing is really pretty awful". Unfortunately, my opinion did not change and I gave up.

I'm sure Ms. Michael's writing was suffering in comparison - - -I had just finished listening to an outstanding reading of "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern - - but I simply cannot recommend this book.
Oceana2602
Mar 20, 2009 Oceana2602 rated it did not like it
Public Service Announcement:

I didn't buy "Family Blessings" on purpose. It came with Annie Proulx's "Postcards" which I bought on ebay.

I certainly didn't read it, though - for lack of better shelving options (like "threw away", "once owned but couldn't get rid of it fast enough", "am still bleaching my brain")- I had to file it on the "read" shelf.

Just wanted to make sure you knew.

Thank you.

End of Public Service Announcement.

Ruth
Jul 16, 2012 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is so refreshing to read a novel that does NOT contain murder, sex and human degradation.

The story is set in the Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania days before the Thanksgiving Season.

A tornado descends on their peaceful lives and destroys not only houses but the surface peace of the family.

Family Blessings is a heartwarming holiday book that you won't want to miss.
Aleisa
I really wanted to get into a book I would love. This will not be it. Very poorly written, it feels like really bad actors reading a really bad script. Half way through the book and I CAN NOT make myself finish it. It was bordering on painful and I felt I didn't care at all for the characters. How can you care for people who aren't real, after all?
Maggie
Nov 05, 2009 Maggie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Where to being about this book....I really didn't like it at all. I would just give it 1 star but since I read the whole thing I'll give it 2. Everything I liked about Cisco #1 fell apart in Cisco #2 and all for stupid reasons. I didn't like #1 that much and I should have saved my time and skipped #2.
Deann Doolittle
Had this on my list to read for a long time finally found it at a book sale. It was a Thanksgiving story so I waited until Nov. to read it. It was just alright. Not really anything to write home about. I do have the Christmas one of this series so hopefully that will be better.
Lauren
May 22, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I felt like she really showed the characters growth by the end of the book and there was a good resolution of all the chaos. Probably not a good idea to read it if you're having relationship problems with your significant other though. Might be too real.
Becky
Sep 04, 2009 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First book I've read by the author. By other reviews of her other books, I started with one of the worst! :( The story was a good plot, but got lost inside the characters. I didn't feel the love between any of them. Very hard for me to even finish, thankfully a short read!
Andrea
Dec 28, 2012 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for a heartwarming holiday story and this was not it. The first half of the book I was just annoyed with the characters. Then the ending wrapped up too quickly. I read it in about 3 hours otherwise I would have been more annoyed that I wasted my life on this.
Glenette
Dec 16, 2014 Glenette rated it did not like it
A bit juvenile. Had a hard time believing that adult characters could act so childish and spoiled. Didn't care for this one at all.
  • A Gift of Joy (Delanza #2.5)
  • Crazy in Love
  • Where Angels Go (Angels Everywhere, #6)
  • Sisterchicks Say Ooh La La! (Sisterchicks, #5)
  • Coast Road / Three Wishes
  • Tangled Vines
  • Suspicious: Partners / The Art of Deception / Night Moves
  • Stranger in Savannah (Savannah Quartet, #4)
  • Southern Comforts
  • Sister's Choice
  • The Sacred Shore (Song of Acadia, #2)
  • Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
  • Herald of Death (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery #19)
  • Under the Mistletoe
  • Cowboy's Triplet Trouble (Top Secret Deliveries #6)
  • Heart of a Rancher (Claremont, Alabama #5)
  • Midnight Warrior
  • So This Is Christmas (Includes: The Protectors, #19)
Fern Michaels isn’t a person. I’m not sure she’s an entity either since an entity is something with separate existence. Fern Michaels is what I DO. Me, Mary Ruth Kuczkir. Growing up in Hastings, Pennsylvania, I was called Ruth. I became Mary when I entered the business world where first names were the order of the day. To this day, family and friends call me Dink, a name my father gave me when I w ...more
More about Fern Michaels...

Cisco (2 books)
  • No Place Like Home (Cisco, #1)