Start by marking “Kerosene” as Want to Read:
Kerosene

Kerosene

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  383 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
A novel of rage, confusion, and release from an extraordinary young author.

Published February 1st 2002 by Push (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Kerosene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kerosene

Amanda Maria
Jan 04, 2009 Amanda Maria rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite book. To me it shows how everyone has problems and sometimes they can get out of control. This story is a prime example of how someone can deal with their problems in a negative way resulting in things just getting worse and worse. I also like how the book leaves you with a feeling of no matter how bad it gets there is always hope. I believe being arrested or getting in trouble isn't always the answer and sometimes the only way for someone to get better is to realize ...more
Amanda L.
Jan 03, 2010 Amanda L. rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 13 and up
Ray
Apr 25, 2008 Ray rated it really liked it
Matthew
Dec 04, 2014 Matthew rated it it was ok
A YA novel with a promising premise, Kerosene's endless possibilities are ruined by author Chris Wooding's hit-or-miss text and his undeveloped, one-dimensional characters. At times, Wooding does show the odd bit of future capability, but writing Kerosene at such a young age is probably a main factor in why the writing isn't as good as other Young Adult novels.

Cal, an introverted pyromaniac, has never been good at making friends. By day, he is quiet, only speaking to his slightly-more-popular be
KayLee
Aug 01, 2011 KayLee rated it it was ok
(2.5)
Very quick read. I liked how the boy was shy, those parts were written very realistically and it was interesting to have a main character who dealt with that issue. But, the ending....terrible. SO unrealistic. :P And the writing was a hit or miss. Sometimes it felt truthful, other times it was choppy and cheesy.
Brewer Community School
Mar 28, 2014 Brewer Community School rated it really liked it
The book I read was called Kerosene, by Chris Wooding, and it was about a teenage boy named Cal who had nervous breakdowns and was socially awkward. One day, he accidentally got a popular girl in trouble, and in revenge this girl and her friend tormented Cal. Cal also was losing his only friend, and to calm his nerves, he started to light matches, which turned into larger things. But his fires started to get out of hand with everything happening to Cal and he started to get in trouble with the p ...more
Kate Brown
Jun 27, 2015 Kate Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
"Kerosene" is about a high school boy named, Cal. Cal is shy, awkward, and ignored by his peers. His only friend is Joel, who he has known since childhood. Unfortunately, even Joel is pulling away and hanging around with a tougher group of young men. When the school's most popular girl named Emma and a new girl named Abby play a trick on Cal, it becomes more than he can bear. In fact, Cal turns to fire as a way to cope with his problems. His obsession with fire starts to get out of control. I li ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Oct 24, 2007 Krista the Krazy Kataloguer rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-ya
I enjoyed the story (about a painfully shy pyromaniac), but I was a bit disturbed by the ending. I don't think he should have gotten away with it.
bjneary
May 26, 2008 bjneary rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teens
Shelves: ya, realistic-fiction
After reading Storm Thief (which I really enjoyed) I decided to read other Wooding novels--Kerosene was compelling and really took you into the teen mind through Cal, Abby, Emma and Joel. I was impressed that Chris Wooding was 20 when he wrote this book! I really liked the ending because of the redemptive value for Cal and Abby, but is it good that Cal got away with so much scary stuff in order to supposedly become a more in control teen? If anyone else has read this book, I'd like to know what ...more
Fawn
Nov 15, 2014 Fawn added it
Great easy read. The second half if the book I couldn't put down. Very gripping
Sherri
Mar 08, 2012 Sherri rated it really liked it
This YA novel will definitely ignite interest in my teen guys. The UK slang might distract them a little bit, but the fast-paced torment that the main character experiences and then retaliates will keep their interest until the riveting conclusion. What happens when a shy pyromaniac is pushed to his limits and only has setting fires as his release? This story answers that question and deals with serious issues of parents who abandon their child, drugs, sex, bullying and revenge.
Cara
Apr 26, 2012 Cara rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure what it was about this book that made me like it so much, but I really did like it. I usually don't like problem novels, but this one didn't feel like one.

I really liked the author's writing style and I thought he did a great job with character development and really getting into the characters' heads. The ending would never have happened in real life, which may be annoying for some people, but I thought it was fitting.
Lucy-mae
Jan 23, 2013 Lucy-mae rated it liked it
Don't know whether to give it 2 or 3 stars. It was an alright read, although not the greatest book I've read. It didn't really touch me the way some books do. I'd rather a book that can alter my emotions. This didn't do it so much for me. Although other than that it was a good book. Easy and quick to read.
Lucy
I found this to be a very tense, quick easy read. It is the story of a young introverted pyromaniac who sets fires to release stress. I found Kerosene to be a good, short easy read but I found the ending to be too ‘neat’ and unrealistic.
Kaye
May 19, 2011 Kaye rated it really liked it
Well, the ending may not be so realistic, but this book is a riveting and quick read. Cal is painfully shy, and neglected by his parents. He has a friend (yes, just one) and discovers that one thing makes him feel at peace--fire.
Nicholai baylog
Sep 15, 2009 Nicholai baylog rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite.... drama(?) books. i often refer to this book as a good psychology-esk book. if you want to understand the minds of troubled teens. this could be it... or at least that's how i felt after reading this book.
Angie
Feb 28, 2011 Angie rated it liked it
ho, boy. i read it so fast, i almost forgot the ending just now. not that i would share that...i'm not that kind of girl.
quick read about anger and flames, bullies and retribution. all set in England.
Tia
Jun 25, 2012 Tia rated it really liked it
I read this book in like three hours. It was very well written, by a twenty year old author. For a problem novel, this was pretty good.
Ekaterina
Dec 08, 2014 Ekaterina rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
Quick action and cute characters... what else one needs? XD And, honestly, I love happy endings! (sorry for the spoil)
Wendy
Jul 12, 2010 Wendy rated it did not like it
Terribly dull. This author is hit or miss. I really love several of his books, but this one wasn't one of them.
Lyra Stone
ammazing, of course!if you like books about teens with mental problems that is!(romanse is a constant in this book)
Merel
Apr 02, 2011 Merel rated it it was amazing
Definitally my favorite book. I just love how his feelings are explained and can really place myself in how he feels.
Adina
Apr 10, 2014 Adina rated it liked it
Absolutely loved this book (the only thing I didn't like was the P.O.V of the Policeman.
Jelle Lagerweij
Jul 28, 2012 Jelle Lagerweij rated it it was amazing
een van de beste boeken die ik het afgelopen halfjaar hebe gelezen.
Amanda
Feb 10, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
This book was okay. I found Cal to be over sensitive.
Hal
Nov 11, 2013 Hal rated it really liked it
It was about a guy who was a pyro
Alisha
Sep 28, 2012 Alisha rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I Actually remember loving this book
Trina
Oct 13, 2009 Trina rated it it was amazing
i am so into it
Nada
Nov 02, 2013 Nada marked it as to-read
kerosene
Salima
Salima marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
  • Tomorrow, Maybe
  • You Remind Me of You: A Poetry Memoir
  • Response
  • Seek
  • 33 Snowfish
  • Ten Mile River
  • Bad
  • 8 Plus 1
  • This is Not Forgiveness
  • Talking In The Dark : A Poetry Memoir
  • Tweaked
  • The Passion Flower Massacre
  • Lucky
  • Blood Family
  • Freeze Frame
  • This Is Push: New Stories from the Edge
  • The Brothers Torres
  • Losers
Chris Wooding grew up in a small town in Leicestershire, where not much of anything happened. So he started to write novels. He was sixteen when he completed his first. He had an agent by eighteen. By nineteen he had signed his first book deal. When he left university he began to write full-time, and he has been doing it professionally all his adult life.

Now thirty-two, Chris has written sixteen b
More about Chris Wooding...