Start by marking “Kerosene” as Want to Read:
Kerosene

Kerosene

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  336 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A novel of rage, confusion, and release from an extraordinary young author.

Published February 1st 2002 by Push (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Kerosene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kerosene

Amanda L.
Jan 03, 2010 Amanda L. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 13 and up
Ray
Amanda Maria
This is my all time favorite book. To me it shows how everyone has problems and sometimes they can get out of control. This story is a prime example of how someone can deal with their problems in a negative way resulting in things just getting worse and worse. I also like how the book leaves you with a feeling of no matter how bad it gets there is always hope. I believe being arrested or getting in trouble isn't always the answer and sometimes the only way for someone to get better is to realize...more
Brewer Community School
The book I read was called Kerosene, by Chris Wooding, and it was about a teenage boy named Cal who had nervous breakdowns and was socially awkward. One day, he accidentally got a popular girl in trouble, and in revenge this girl and her friend tormented Cal. Cal also was losing his only friend, and to calm his nerves, he started to light matches, which turned into larger things. But his fires started to get out of hand with everything happening to Cal and he started to get in trouble with the p...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I enjoyed the story (about a painfully shy pyromaniac), but I was a bit disturbed by the ending. I don't think he should have gotten away with it.
bjneary
May 26, 2008 bjneary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens
Shelves: realistic-fiction, ya
After reading Storm Thief (which I really enjoyed) I decided to read other Wooding novels--Kerosene was compelling and really took you into the teen mind through Cal, Abby, Emma and Joel. I was impressed that Chris Wooding was 20 when he wrote this book! I really liked the ending because of the redemptive value for Cal and Abby, but is it good that Cal got away with so much scary stuff in order to supposedly become a more in control teen? If anyone else has read this book, I'd like to know what...more
Sherri
This YA novel will definitely ignite interest in my teen guys. The UK slang might distract them a little bit, but the fast-paced torment that the main character experiences and then retaliates will keep their interest until the riveting conclusion. What happens when a shy pyromaniac is pushed to his limits and only has setting fires as his release? This story answers that question and deals with serious issues of parents who abandon their child, drugs, sex, bullying and revenge.
Cara
I'm not sure what it was about this book that made me like it so much, but I really did like it. I usually don't like problem novels, but this one didn't feel like one.

I really liked the author's writing style and I thought he did a great job with character development and really getting into the characters' heads. The ending would never have happened in real life, which may be annoying for some people, but I thought it was fitting.
KayLee
(2.5)
Very quick read. I liked how the boy was shy, those parts were written very realistically and it was interesting to have a main character who dealt with that issue. But, the ending....terrible. SO unrealistic. :P And the writing was a hit or miss. Sometimes it felt truthful, other times it was choppy and cheesy.
Lucy-mae
Don't know whether to give it 2 or 3 stars. It was an alright read, although not the greatest book I've read. It didn't really touch me the way some books do. I'd rather a book that can alter my emotions. This didn't do it so much for me. Although other than that it was a good book. Easy and quick to read.
Lucy
I found this to be a very tense, quick easy read. It is the story of a young introverted pyromaniac who sets fires to release stress. I found Kerosene to be a good, short easy read but I found the ending to be too ‘neat’ and unrealistic.
Kaye
Well, the ending may not be so realistic, but this book is a riveting and quick read. Cal is painfully shy, and neglected by his parents. He has a friend (yes, just one) and discovers that one thing makes him feel at peace--fire.
Nicholai baylog
one of my favorite.... drama(?) books. i often refer to this book as a good psychology-esk book. if you want to understand the minds of troubled teens. this could be it... or at least that's how i felt after reading this book.
Angie
ho, boy. i read it so fast, i almost forgot the ending just now. not that i would share that...i'm not that kind of girl.
quick read about anger and flames, bullies and retribution. all set in England.
Tia
I read this book in like three hours. It was very well written, by a twenty year old author. For a problem novel, this was pretty good.
Wendy
Terribly dull. This author is hit or miss. I really love several of his books, but this one wasn't one of them.
Lyra Stone
ammazing, of course!if you like books about teens with mental problems that is!(romanse is a constant in this book)
Merel
Definitally my favorite book. I just love how his feelings are explained and can really place myself in how he feels.
Adina
Absolutely loved this book (the only thing I didn't like was the P.O.V of the Policeman.
Jelle Lagerweij
een van de beste boeken die ik het afgelopen halfjaar hebe gelezen.
Amanda
This book was okay. I found Cal to be over sensitive.
Hal
It was about a guy who was a pyro
Alisha
I Actually remember loving this book
Trina
Ms Hiltz AHSS LLC
Ms Hiltz AHSS LLC marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Stephanie M
Stephanie M marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
  • This is Not Forgiveness
  • Kissing the Rain
  • Freeze Frame
  • Chasing Tail Lights
Chris Wooding grew up in a small town in Leicestershire, where not much of anything happened. So he started to write novels. He was sixteen when he completed his first. He had an agent by eighteen. By nineteen he had signed his first book deal. When he left university he began to write full-time, and he has been doing it professionally all his adult life.

Now thirty-two, Chris has written sixteen b...more
More about Chris Wooding...
Poison Retribution Falls (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #1) The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray The Black Lung Captain (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #2) Malice (Malice, #1)